Gay cake

whelk

It's the common sense decision. If the bakers don't want to take people's money then they shouldn't be forced too. I'm sure there will be plenty of others nearby who would gladly take the person's owner, but you can't force people to do something if they choose not to.

If the bakery in question chose to ban gay people from buying anything at all then that would of course be a very different story.

It's the common sense decision. If the bakers don't want to take people's money then they shouldn't be forced too. I'm sure there will be plenty of others nearby who would gladly take the person's owner, but you can't force people to do something if they choose not to.

If the bakery in question chose to ban gay people from buying anything at all then that would of course be a very different story.

Yep. The people buying the cake wasn't the issue, it was the content on the cake they had a problem with.

Not sure what it’s a victory for, religious bigots? Just bake the gay’s cake FFS.
Because the point of equality law is to protect people from discrimination, not to force individuals to promote ideas they disagree with. That was the point of the case and it should be celebrated regardless of if you support the message on the cake or not. I'm glad common sense has prevailed over regressive views like yours.

Because the point of equality law is to protect people from discrimination, not to force individuals to promote ideas they disagree with. That was the point of the case and it should be celebrated regardless of if you support the message on the cake or not. I'm glad common sense has prevailed over regressive views like yours.

As a point of law it’s correct but I can’t see what’s worth celebrating about it. Bunch of backward religious bigots get to alienate a section of the community - great.

I don’t get the issue, if you don’t agree with gay marriage - don’t marry a gay. Not sure how other gay people marrying effects them in any way whatsoever. I find the homophobia in Christianity disgusting.

As a point of law it’s correct but I can’t see what’s worth celebrating about it. Bunch of backward religious bigots get to alienate a section of the community - great.

I don’t get the issue, if you don’t agree with gay marriage - don’t marry a gay. Not sure how other gay people marrying effects them in any way whatsoever. I find the homophobia in Christianity disgusting.

How have they alienated anyone? The bakers have served the customers before this cake and said they were happy to serve them again in the future for other cakes. Presumably you would feel the same way about someone baking a cake supporting sharia law in the UK? Or forcing someone to say they support the death penalty if they oppose it? The potential homophobic views of a Christian couple are irrelevant to the case and as stated earlier, it appears that even renowned gay rights activist Peter tatchell supports this decision because it isn't about gay people. Edited by hypochondriac

How have they alienated anyone? The bakers have served the customers before this cake and said they were happy to serve them again in the future for other cakes. Presumably you would feel the same way about someone baking a cake supporting sharia law in the UK? Or forcing someone to say they support the death penalty if they oppose it? The potential homophobic views of a Christian couple are irrelevant to the case.

If someone wanting a cake supporting Sharia law or the death penalty the bakers should just respect the fact that people have different views and bake the ****ing cake. As long as there is nothing offensive or illegal on there what’s the issue? They are not being asked to agree with any cause just to bake a cake.

The religious idiots should just chill out. Jesus would have baked the guys cake - good will to all men, love thy neighbour and all that.

If someone wanting a cake supporting Sharia law or the death penalty the bakers should just respect the fact that people have different views and bake the ****ing cake. As long as there is nothing offensive or illegal on there what’s the issue? They are not being asked to agree with any cause just to bake a cake.

The religious idiots should just chill out. Jesus would have baked the guys cake - good will to all men, love thy neighbour and all that.

We will have to fundamentally disagree with this one then. I don't believe anyone should be forced to support a cause they disagree with and thankfully the high court recognised this as well. Not baking the cake isn't denying someone the right to think differently. The rights and wrongs of Christianity and religion in general are an irrelevance to the case.

Blinding theology.

That’s the point though, homosexuality is offensive to their beliefs, so they have the right to refuse to make the cake. I in no way agree with their views but they have the right to live by them.

What if someone wanted to bake a cake that called for a change in the law to allow adults to sleep with children? Do you think they should just respect the fact that people have different views and bake the cake then? Of course homosexuality and paedophilia are not the same thing but the point being made is the same.

Edited by hypochondriac

What if someone wanted to bake a cake that called for a change in the law to allow adults to sleep with children? Do you think they should just respect the fact that people have different views and bake the cake then? Of course homosexuality and paedophilia are not the same thing but the point being made is the same.

What about a cake that said Greb Em By The Pussy??

That’s the point though, homosexuality is offensive to their beliefs, so they have the right to refuse to make the cake. I in no way agree with their views but they have the right to live by them.

I agree that legally it is correct but I don’t see why a victory for a bunch of homophobic nut jobs is cause for celebration.

I agree that legally it is correct but I don’t see why a victory for a bunch of homophobic nut jobs is cause for celebration.

The word ‘celebration’ is overdoing it but this is the fairest possible outcome. As far as I can tell these bakers are tolerant of homosexuals and haven’t expressed any aggression, bad will or rudeness towards them. However, what they were asked to do is, to a small extent, promote homosexuality. That’s where people should be allowed to draw the line and IMO why the courts are correct.

Going into all the reasons of why various religions are morally wrong is a never ending argument and I don’t disagree with what you have said.

The word ‘celebration’ is overdoing it but this is the fairest possible outcome. As far as I can tell these bakers are tolerant of homosexuals and haven’t expressed any aggression, bad will or rudeness towards them. However, what they were asked to do is, to a small extent, promote homosexuality. That’s where people should be allowed to draw the line and IMO why the courts are correct.

Going into all the reasons of why various religions are morally wrong is a never ending argument and I don’t disagree with what you have said.

The activist seems to be as much as a zealot.

Ironic how the like of aintforever has no tolerant and respect for people’s religious views and in doing so no doubt believes he is a tolerant good guy.

The activist seems to be as much as a zealot.

Ironic how the like of aintforever has no tolerant and respect for people’s religious views and in doing so no doubt believes he is a tolerant good guy.

I have no respect for homophobic views, wether they are religious or not.

The bakers were not being asked to support gay marriage, they were providing a service for a person for a cost. It would have been supporting the cause if they did it for free or were asked to put their logo next to the message. The cake, and the message on the cake was Mr Lee's.

I have worked in the creative industry my whole career. I have worked on many things I have not agreed with and certainly don't support. Advertising campaigns, websites or brochures for political parties, campaigns, businesses and religious I dislike or don't agree with. **** me I have even done work for Portsmouth FC - I guess that makes me a Portsmouth supporter?

I my opinion the bakers showed a lack of respect to the customer and they were happy to do that because they are homophobic. Whilst the legal decision was correct (nobody should be forced to print a message they dislike) I find sad that in this day and age it needed to come to this.

Probably go with a PIE for that, rather than a cake.

Unless the aim is to entice kids.

Probably go with a PIE for that, rather than a cake.

Unless the aim is to entice kids.

Ha good point. In all seriousness though, aintforever seems to be supporting baking a cake arguing a pro paedophile position. My question would be is there any limit in his view to something that shouldn't be baked on a cake?

The bakers were not being asked to support gay marriage, they were providing a service for a person for a cost. It would have been supporting the cause if they did it for free or were asked to put their logo next to the message. The cake, and the message on the cake was Mr Lee's.

I have worked in the creative industry my whole career. I have worked on many things I have not agreed with and certainly don't support. Advertising campaigns, websites or brochures for political parties, campaigns, businesses and religious I dislike or don't agree with. **** me I have even done work for Portsmouth FC - I guess that makes me a Portsmouth supporter?

I my opinion the bakers showed a lack of respect to the customer and they were happy to do that because they are homophobic. Whilst the legal decision was correct (nobody should be forced to print a message they dislike) I find sad that in this day and age it needed to come to this.

At what point then would you draw the line? If you worked for company printing custom designed flags and somebody asked you to produce a dosen Nazi or ISIS flags for their political march, should you have the right to refuse?

Saying you are simply providing a service for a cost doesn’t absolve you of any moral involvement. It would be like our government openly selling weapons to a genocidal dictator in a third world country and saying, "well we don’t nescessarily agree with his ethnic cleansing policy, selling the weapons was purely a business transaction."

All we can ask of society is to be tolerant. My point is that being obliged to be involved in something which you morally disagree with is a step beyond tolerance.

At what point then would you draw the line? If you worked for company printing custom designed flags and somebody asked you to produce a dosen Nazi or ISIS flags for their political march, should you have the right to refuse?

Saying you are simply providing a service for a cost doesn’t absolve you of any moral involvement. It would be like our government openly selling weapons to a genocidal dictator in a third world country and saying, "well we don’t nescessarily agree with his ethnic cleansing policy, selling the weapons was purely a business transaction."

All we can ask of society is to be tolerant. My point is that being obliged to be involved in something which you morally disagree with is a step beyond tolerance.

Well reasoned and cogently put, Mr Lighthouse. (thumbs up smiley)

It didn't need to come to this though did it. The gay bloke should have just accepted their point of view and found another baker. Instead the gay guy flounced off and decided he was going to try and make a point and to sue them rather than respect their views. If he'd shown more understanding for others viewpoint then you're right, it wouldn't have come to this. Now I see all the gay activists are up in arms about it saying how disgusting it all is. As usual they scream for equality and freedom of speech yet when it doesn't go their way they scream about how terrible it is that someone is allowed to have a view different to them.

My line would be somewhere below gay cakes and above genocide promotion, but then my beliefs are not based on a centuries old work of fiction.

My point was not that the law is wrong, more that the winners of the court battle are a bunch of homophbic arse holes. The guy who sued them is probably also a bit of a nob as Turkish suggests but maybe he’s just fed up of homophobic attitudes and was just trying to make a point.

Edited by aintforever

I would make a Skate cake, but would pee in the batter.

I’d make it so that there was a red and white striped sponge under the icing.

Actually, yeah!

I'd do them a chocolate "log". A real Cleveland Steamer of a cake.

With **** in t'batter and red and white icing inside. With the white made out of jizz and the red made out of dirty blood.

The ****ing ****ers.

My line would be somewhere below gay cakes and above genocide promotion, but then my beliefs are not based on a centuries old work of fiction.

My point was not that the law is wrong, more that the winners of the court battle are a bunch of homophbic arse holes. The guy who sued them is probably also a bit of a nob as Turkish suggests but maybe he’s just fed up of homophobic attitudes and was just trying to make a point.

The thing is I’m not entirely sure what his point is; that conservative Christians object to people being homosexual? It’s hardly news and not going to change any time soon. As Turkish said, there are plenty of other bakers who would have had no objection to making the cake and as such the court case seems like a complete waste of time. What would they have achieved had they won? Forcing somebody to make a cake which contradicts their beliefs. It’s not going to lead to acceptance, more likely resentment.