On this day four years ago

Sheaf Saint

# Devil's advocate klaxon #

Most of those goals were down to p1ss poor play by Sunderland. Can't remember the last time we played a team in recent times that were anywhere as inept as Sunderland were on that day. Transport today's squad into that game and I still reckon we'd have won comfortably.

Most of those goals were down to p1ss poor play by Sunderland. Can't remember the last time we played a team in recent times that were anywhere as inept as Sunderland were on that day. Transport today's squad into that game and I still reckon we'd have won comfortably.

Yeah you're probably right, Sunderland were comically bad that day. Mannone had the worst game any PL keeper will ever have, and after number 5 went in they just threw in the towel.

But credit where it's due - we put them to the sword ruthlessly.

No, this team would be 0-0 most of the match, then allow Sunderland to regain composure in the second half, get it together and score.

The difference then is that the team didn't allow teams (i.e. like Sunderland here) time to regain composure and get more of a grip on their mistakes.

The game could've been entirely different had Sunderland been given a penalty when it was still at 0-0. Think we would've ended up at 10 men too.

Until we scored our second if I remember rightly Sunderland were completely out playing us that day. After that they capitulated but it could have been very different.

The game could've been entirely different had Sunderland been given a penalty when it was still at 0-0. Think we would've ended up at 10 men too.

Until we scored our second if I remember rightly Sunderland were completely out playing us that day. After that they capitulated but it could have been very different.

Yep at the start of the game they were all over us and we were looking dreadful

I'll never forget trousers' now legendary "This has got 0-0 written all over it" comment on the match thread!

This lot would go 1-0 up and then try and sit on it for the rest of the game.