U23 vs Wolves

Shroppie

Just turned it on ... Pathetic football from us...

Our coaching is off the scale appalling !!!!!

That's rubbish. Wolves are a good team. They pressed us well in the first half and we did well to get a goal on the break.

Our second was good football. Seemed on top then, but two bits of poor defending, the first aided by a lucky bounce, and Wolves took advantage well.

Overall we haven't played badly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

One player might make a professional Obefami..

The rest are miles off - light years from the first team....

You're clearly not a Saints fan as you can never hide your disappointment when we win and gloating when we lose, so please go away and support your own team, if you've got one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not interested really, are you?

We have one player that could threaten the first team squad, the rest are a very long way off in my view.

Not sure that is healthy ...

What I saw was 2 pretty evenly matched teams, and I suspect if you looked at the majority of the leagues squads you would see the same. Trying to threaten any premiere league squad place is very difficult, but personally I think there are a couple or three who could make it. The point being our young lads are no worse than any of the other u23 squads.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

What I saw was 2 pretty evenly matched teams, and I suspect if you looked at the majority of the leagues squads you would see the same. Trying to threaten any premiere league squad place is very difficult, but personally I think there are a couple or three who could make it. The point being our young lads are no worse than any of the other u23 squads.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You could be right there....

I was interested in seeing how Valery compares to Cedric.

Valery has a very cultured right foot. His cross for the second goal was a beauty, the proverbial invitation to score...he might have been caught out in the box on the second goal. I think that Cedric might be a little pacier, although it’s hard to tell watching on a little YouTube screen.

One player might make a professional Obefami..

The rest are miles off - light years from the first team....

Not interested really, are you?

We have one player that could threaten the first team squad, the rest are a very long way off in my view.

Not sure that is healthy ...

You do realise that there are other levels of football where a player could be a professional other than the premier league? And just because (in your opinion) a certain player does not exhibit the skills (you believe) are required for a starting place in a premier league team they are a long way off of doing so and will never make it as a professional player...

okay then..... :mcinnes:

You do realise that there are other levels of football where a player could be a professional other than the premier league? And just because (in your opinion) a certain player does not exhibit the skills (you believe) are required for a starting place in a premier league team they are a long way off of doing so and will never make it as a professional player...

okay then..... :mcinnes:

Well in case you hadn’t noticed ..... We are a Premier League team so that is the level of skill we need. There is no point in running a reserve team to feed the lower leagues. The standard of player we have coming through the under 23s is, looking at last night disappointing and underwhelming and we cannot expect more than one to be good enough.....For our first team.

There is clarification for you...

Yes, we won, but as a fan who goes to the trouble of watching our u23 team, I agree that most of them have no prospect of making it in the premier league, o championship, or indeed in the pro game at all.

Valery is decent and could break through.Vokins has potential. Obafemi runs around a lot but is technically poor

and a lesser player than Seager, and look

where he's ended up. Gallagher had an off night and could make a career in the game but ain't a premier league player. Klarer is big and strong and could make a living from the game. There's nothing I've seen amongst the rest that makes me think they have a future in the game at a half decent level.

Well in case you hadn’t noticed ..... We are a Premier League team so that is the level of skill we need. There is no point in running a reserve team to feed the lower leagues. The standard of player we have coming through the under 23s is, looking at last night disappointing and underwhelming and we cannot expect more than one to be good enough.....For our first team.

There is clarification for you...

Do you know how many lads in the academy system actually go on to be pro footballers its a miniscule number not just at saints but football in general the stats are something like 1% of boys who enter academies at 9 years old go on to have a career in football. So expecting saints to be churning out bucket loads of PL standard players is pretty unrealistic because it doesn't happen anywhere.

339 of us trekked up to St Mary's last evening and were treated to a quite entertaining match. Very much a tale of two halves with Wolved dominant in the first and saints more prominent in the second. Wolves played a highly organised, highly disciplined game of pass ball in the first half that was in many ways similar to the first half of the Spain v England game last week. Wolves had all the possession and our only attacks came from long balls over their packed defence. On the other hand they never really looked like breaking us down and scoring. Our goal came out of nowhere, a long punt up the middle brushed Obafami's shoulder and dropped at his feet right between the two centre-backs who were caught wrong footed, he couldn't really miss and he didn't.

Second half we were a lot better and got hold of the midfield for a long spell and scored a superb second that should have made the game secure. Wolves 'though woke up, in command again for a while and scored two easy goals that we should never have allowed, after that we had just about had the better of it with everyone tiring quickly and the better chances and a wonderful corner with O'Conner finding space.

I've read a lot of what has been said above but the live game was quite different to what you see on the highlights.

Here are my ratings for Saints

Rose - some good stops but could have been better positioned for the first goal - 6

Valery - poor in first half, not getting forward and passing back and sideways too much - 6

O'Driscoll - commanding in the air and solid performance with few errors but positioning for their goals could have been better - 7

Klarer - made a few basic errors but also good in the air - 7

Vokins - defended well and always tried to get forward. Some really good through balls to the inside left position - 7

Gallagher - simply awful, a nightmare of a match that he clearly didn't want to be in, Subbed off just after the break which was a mercy to us all - 3

Slattery - worked hard all night and impressed with runs forward and strong tackling - 8

Smallbone - good solid performance in midfield especially in second half - 8

O'Connor - MotM (Saints) and a captain's performance. Worked his socks off all night and broke up many attacks and got us moving forward many times with the right ball - 9

Barnes - good in parts but little service in the first half and in exactly the right place to get the second goal. Saw more of the ball in second half and often beat his man to get in crosses from the bye-line - 7

Obafami - Lots of running with little end product, not much service in first half but took his goal very well. Couldn't make much of an impact with far better service in the second - 6