Saints vs Newcastle Build-up

SuperSAINT

A point a game will be easily good enough to stay up this season.

I'm not saying it isn't but it's still a pretty low bar for us and IMO not good enough.

Just saying before the witch hunt starts.....

I am not saying JWP is better than Redmond, different players.

Am just asking the question why he does not start when he adds a different type of goal chance for the team than just running and dribbling. it really is not rocket science to have more options of scoring on the pitch than doing the same thing time and time and time again that we have done for 2 seasons + 9 games now with the same crap results.

JWP doesn't start because we are playing a 4-4-2 and he works in neither in a midfield 2 or as a conventional winger.

Which is not really his fault, it's more the archaic tactics/shape we are playing.

We have neither the pace, physicality or defence to successfully play a 4-4-2 IMO. Watford play a 4-4-2 sort of, but they have Deeney to be physical and annoying up front, Gray/Success to add some pace and then have very powerful centre-mids in Doucoure and Capoue who are basically able to do pretty much everything. We have very little like that. Atheltic Madrid also play a 4-4-2 variant but again have very good defenders, pace and power up front, pace on the wings and are very aggressive at retaining the ball, again we don't have or do that.

And considering we have some tall centre-backs and come centre-forwards who are pretty decent in the air I think making some use of JWPs very good set piece ability is not a bad idea.

Personally I'd have him sitting narrower as a AMR in a 4-3-3, get a proper DM in the protect the defence which should allow more freedom for Betrand and Cedric to bomb on.

I'd go -

McCarthy

Cedric, whatever centre backs they all seem a much of muchness at the moment, Bertrand

Romeu

Hojberg Lemina

JWP Redmond

Ings

Edited by tajjuk

I'm not saying it isn't but it's still a pretty low bar for us and IMO not good enough.

JWP doesn't start because we are playing a 4-4-2 and he works in neither in a midfield 2 or as a conventional winger.

Which is not really his fault, it's more the archaic tactics/shape we are playing.

We have neither the pace, physicality or defence to successfully play a 4-4-2 IMO. Watford play a 4-4-2 sort of, but they have Deeney to be physical and annoying up front, Gray/Success to add some pace and then have very powerful centre-mids in Doucoure and Capoue who are basically able to do pretty much everything. We have very little like that. Atheltic Madrid also play a 4-4-2 variant but again have very good defenders, pace and power up front, pace on the wings and are very aggressive at retaining the ball, again we don't have or do that.

And considering we have some tall centre-backs and come centre-forwards who are pretty decent in the air I think making some use of JWPs very good set piece ability is not a bad idea.

Personally I'd have him sitting narrower as a AMR in a 4-3-3, get a proper DM in the protect the defence which should allow more freedom for Betrand and Cedric to bomb on.

I'd go -

McCarthy

Cedric, whatever centre backs they all seem a much of muchness at the moment, Bertrand

Romeu

Hojberg Lemina

JWP Redmond

Ings

Feck sake mate, time to let JWP go; he is not going to make the grade.

Hughes seems to be in permanent denial at his press conferences, he's been saying for weeks

"we have a very good group of players"

"we are about to turn a corner and move up the league"

"we create more chances than most other clubs"

"we just need to start converting a few more of these and we'll be fine".

Yet, nothing changes and today he admitted for the first time it won't happen overnight

What an indictment of him and his coaching staff. The excuses are being lined up already for this weekend and where is the passion you'd expect from a manager with his back to the wall?

"Newcastle are a much better team that their points tally suggests, 6 of their opening games have been against top six clubs, they were 2-0 up against Man U...."

"Losing Tadic was a big blow"

"It's very hard to get any points in the PL"

He's under pressure alright but with Les's 3-year gold plated contract in his back pocket why should he be worried?

JWP is the answer, but what is the question?

He has been left behind by Henderson & Berkley. A year or two ago he was seen in the same light as those two midfielders by the media and no doubt by national team set-up at St George's. Arguably had he been with a top six club with far better players around him to help his development he would have continued to progress and maybe realised all those earlier hopes and expectations. Staying in a comfortable backwater is never a good strategy for a young person in any profession but in the highly charged media spotlit world of football, to be the best you have to rub shoulders with the best. His chance appears to have gone.

He has been left behind by Henderson & Berkley. A year or two ago he was seen in the same light as those two midfielders by the media.

1) Henderson is 28 years old, Ward-Prowse is 23 years old!

What makes you think a year ago the media viewed him in the "same light" as Ward-Prowse? Henderson has been playing for England since 2010!

2) Who is Berkley?

This. Ings and Gabbi with young Obafemi ready to jump in from the bench if we haven't scored after 60 minutes.

I'd love to see young Opafemi play but I fear the stakes are going to be too high in this vital relegation match should we not have scored. It would be a brave gamble and Saints don't do brave these days.

Having said that it would be exciting to see him on the pitch heading for goal.

Rondon fit to play.

What a surprise. I would hope we don't stick with Stephens & Hoedt.

Why would we not stick with Stephens and Hoedt because Rondon plays? I hope we don't stick with Hoedt, but because with the exception of the last game he has been crap but he hardly needs to be dropped because Rondon is playing, there are many other reasons. Would be good to see Hughes stick with Stephens and play Yoshida alongside, but it ain't gonna happen.

Why would we not stick with Stephens and Hoedt because Rondon plays? I hope we don't stick with Hoedt, but because with the exception of the last game he has been crap but he hardly needs to be dropped because Rondon is playing, there are many other reasons. Would be good to see Hughes stick with Stephens and play Yoshida alongside, but it ain't gonna happen.

To defend crosses?

Rondon fit to play.

What a surprise. I would hope we don't stick with Stephens & Hoedt.

Last time they played against each other in the league both Rondon and Stephens scored, when they played each other in the cup Hoedt and Rondon scored - we won on both occasions.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Basically that we are ****. Like the earlier poster said, spot on.

I heard it all and they were bang on. Said we have got the point where Hughes said we need ‘luck’. They also slated our sell, sell, sell policy and that we r3placed with players who appear to lose all form when they arrive.

I heard it all and they were bang on. Said we have got the point where Hughes said we need ‘luck’. They also slated our sell, sell, sell policy and that we r3placed with players who appear to lose all form when they arrive.

Cheers. Can't argue with that.

I'm confident we're going to win.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I could honestly say that about a PL game. The closest I can recall was last season at home to Chelsea when we were 2-0 with 25 mins left, I was confident of 3 points and a sudden leap away from trouble at that stage.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I could honestly say that about a PL game. The closest I can recall was last season at home to Chelsea when we were 2-0 with 25 mins left, I was confident of 3 points and a sudden leap away from trouble at that stage.

god that what game was a real kick in the teeth...in a season full of games that left you feeling like you had taken a good kicking.:x

A win today is vital but seeing some confidence us just as important.

Much as I'd take a nervy 1-0, if we're going to turn the home misery round, we need a good overall performance, clear win seen out with confidence.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A win today is vital but seeing some confidence us just as important.

Much as I'd take a nervy 1-0, if we're going to turn the home misery round, we need a good overall performance, clear win seen out with confidence.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Confidence is massive if we could just put a few results together I think we would be alright this season. You can just feel the fans and players are just waiting for it to go wrong at home games these days. You can just see the players visibly deflate when it starts to go wrong on the pitch in games at the moment.

It's going to be bloody freezing up there this afternoon so expect half our lot to be wearing gloves and leg warmers and only going through the motions.

Up there? Do you live south of here?

The game will be decided by a long range goal from either Shelvey or Hojbjerg.

What like Fergie or Mourinho to name a few?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Was told this too. Doesn’t utter a word to the players, very hard to get close too and the coaches are like henchmen. Gone are the days when a manager is completely shut off to players like that. Klopp, Pep, Poch....the best Managers are man Managers as well as tactically brilliant etc

Hughes is a dinosaur, times have changed. Get rid and bring in a Young Manager. Missed a trick not getting Lampard or Gerrard.

Was told this too. Doesn’t utter a word to the players, very hard to get close too and the coaches are like henchmen. Gone are the days when a manager is completely shut off to players like that. Klopp, Pep, Poch....the best Managers are man Managers as well as tactically brilliant etc

Hughes is a dinosaur, times have changed. Get rid and bring in a Young Manager. Missed a trick not getting Lampard or Gerrard.

watching Derby now, they look excellent

edit. awesome football and tearing boro a new one in their own backyard

Edited by Batman