Saints vs Newcastle Build-up

SuperSAINT

If we are starting with Long for a decent part of the season then we will continue to struggle to score goals.

He is ****e and in the worst form of his career.

He should really be struggling to make the bench, let alone the first XI.

Think he will start with Long instead of Austin as Ings looked at his most dangerous playing off him

I've always believed that if you're going play Charlie, pick him at home where we typically get more possession, create more chances and he doesn't have to wear himself out chasing lost causes . I'd love to see his career stats, I'm pretty sure that they would back this up. If you're away (or maybe at home to the Top 6), play Long because although he is unlikely to score he gives you a get out ball and stretches the other team.

I've noticed that Hughes seems to have had a tendancy to do the opposite .....

That is what I would go for in this one3fc98f8c46df154ec5d38f92cba51cd9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We kept a clean sheet last weekend so why go for yet another CB pairing? Other than that I'd go with your team - although Mo wasn't great I'm struggling to think who would do better in a 4411 or 442.

I don't agree it's must win. The bottom 7 are in a relegation battle and will be most the season I'd imagine. Our best shot is getting a decent manager in. That would be a huge boost. You can't say the same for Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle and maybe even Fulham. Think they have decent coaches and would struggle to get better.

I'm just desperate to see a consistent line up out there. It's the only thing that helps players find their feet, play well together and hit form. We struggle to score, we know that. Pandering to fans with this 442 stuff is nonsense. It's never worked for us, it rarely works for anyone now and it doesn't suit the squad we have. Austin is garbage, Long is garbage, Gabbiadini is off form. So just play Ings.

There's a weird reaction to JWP on here but he was doing well when starting regularly, and he's always replaced with people who don't perform anyway so it's a low bar. Fact is, a team not scoring many needs the best set piece threat possible.

Ings

Elyounoussi

Redmond Højbjerg Lemina JWP

Would be my choice. Prefer JWP wide right linking with Cedric. Free up Elynounoussi too who looks to have talent but just think he's not getting involved enough.

Won't score with that set up. Ings would be totally isolated with Mo most likely anonymous as normal. Playing a lone 9 is fine - Austin would fit the bill - and then perm any 2 of Gabbi, Long and Ings to play off him in a 4-3-3. Or 4-5-1 for the continental knob jockeys.

Hopefully Hughes will opt for a Hungarian MU Formation.

He’s clearly on a wind up, as the ‘libero’ position is obviously the old sweeper role that used to be played by the likes of Krol, Beckenbauer and Summer etc..

The false number 9 role is a striker who plays much deeper position (more akin to a midfielder than a traditional striker) with support of wide players - the purpose of which is to make it more difficult for the central defenders to pick him up his movement / runs from deep.

England used to use the old ‘WM’ formation (3-2-2-3), not ‘MU’ which they did when they were beaten 6-3 in the famous game by the Hungarian’s back in the 50’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't score with that set up. Ings would be totally isolated with Mo most likely anonymous as normal. Playing a lone 9 is fine - Austin would fit the bill - and then perm any 2 of Gabbi, Long and Ings to play off him in a 4-3-3. Or 4-5-1 for the continental knob jockeys.

We don't score either way, only two teams in the league who have scored less goals than us

We don't score either way, only two teams in the league who have scored less goals than us

And only four teams in the league have had more shots than us this season.

More amazing is it's now three seasons in a row where we have been near the top of the league for shots and near the bottom of the league for actual goals scores. Three seasons in a row where we have had one of the worst shots to goals conversion rates in the league....no wonder we've struggled.

And only four teams in the league have had more shots than us this season.

More amazing is it's now three seasons in a row where we have been near the top of the league for shots and near the bottom of the league for actual goals scores. Three seasons in a row where we have had one of the worst shots to goals conversion rates in the league....no wonder we've struggled.

I know, so is it not time after 2 seasons + to change are approach.

We kept a clean sheet last weekend so why go for yet another CB pairing? Other than that I'd go with your team - although Mo wasn't great I'm struggling to think who would do better in a 4411 or 442.

That CB pairing on Saturday was specifically picked to counter the pace of Bournemouth's attacking players. Horses for courses and all that.

Big game this. I’ve almost avoided the last few as am so disengaged with it all, but I’ll be as nervous as can be for this come Saturday.

A serious chance for 3 points, and think it would give everyone a lot more reasons to be upbeat. We haven’t been that bad recently so a win would be massive. Serious problems if we don’t.

Wont have many better chances to get the home form monkey off our back than this, though I can only see Newcastle making it very tricky for us, Rafa inspired.

I reckon we’ll sneak a win.

If we don't win against Newcastle he should be sacked IMO.

It'll have been 10 games, with 6 or 7 points, including games against 5 teams in the bottom half, several at home.

Simply not good enough, even a win doesn't take us to a point a game, which probably in itself is not enough to keep us up.

Plus still have to play away at Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, and Spurs, plus home to Liverpool, City, Spurs, Arsenal and Utd, so that is basically 10 games we will very likely take zero points from.

Meaning we'd have 18 other games to pick up another 30 plus points from.

It'll have been 10 games, with 6 or 7 points, including games against 5 teams in the bottom half, several at home.

Simply not good enough, even a win doesn't take us to a point a game, which probably in itself is not enough to keep us up.

Plus still have to play away at Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, and Spurs, plus home to Liverpool, City, Spurs, Arsenal and Utd, so that is basically 10 games we will very likely take zero points from.

Got to be with you on this one. There's no excuses for not beating Newcastle at home. I went to the Palace v Newcastle game a few weeks back and even though Palace were poor (and we rightly beat them), Newcastle were terrible. Set up to attack (like we should be doing at home anyway), and we should easily put a couple past them.

A point a game will be easily good enough to stay up this season.

A point a game will be easily good enough to stay up this season.

Well we have 6 from 9 games.

We have 10 games against "top 6" oppo which largely ends up with 0 points.

So we have 19 games to get 32 points from....

7 wins = 21 points

8 draws = 10 points

4 losses = 0 points

That gets us to 37 points....worrying...! Likelihood of us winning 7 more games this season?!

Well we have 6 from 9 games.

We have 10 games against "top 6" oppo which largely ends up with 0 points.

So we have 19 games to get 32 points from....

7 wins = 21 points

8 draws = 10 points

4 losses = 0 points

That gets us to 37 points....worrying...! Likelihood of us winning 7 more games this season?!

I wasn't speculating on what we will get, I just don't think Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham or Newcastle will get high 30s. Someone will stay up with 34 / 35 or thereabouts, like we did last season!

No point thinking about it like that. We aren't even in the relegation zone and we've been dire. Depends what other clubs do, when we change managers and who we change to.

If it were by some nightmare Hughes all season, I think we'd get around 35 points. So unlikely we'd stay up.

If we got a decent replacement in in the next month, then I think we'd stay up easily.

any idea for replacement? surely we could end up with another Pellegrino? do you have faith in Reed and Wilson to hire a 'decent replacement'?

that's without mentioning that we have no idea about the cost and impact of terminating Hughes' contract.

I will miss all of the coverage on Saturday (travelling) so will check the match thread from

the start without knowing the result so i get a sensible, balanced and accurate description of the game.........

:D

2:05 - FFS Hoedt? Hughes out!

3:00 - COYRs

3:05 - Come on, we’re getting battered, where’s Romeu? Redmond sucks!

3:15 - This is tepid, no shots yet!

3:25 - Free header! We escaped there, Stephens out

3:37 - Cedric sucks

3:45 - **** first half, this is a must win game!

4:01 - Trousers “got 0-0 written all over it”

4:02 - FFS! Worldie from Shelvy, allowed to run right through! 0-1

4:03-4:36 - Hughes/Ralph/Reed out!

4:37 - Glasgow cashed out

4:37.5 - Boooom! INGS! 1-1

4:45 - How did Long miss that???

4:46 - A point isn’t enough

4:47 - Glasgow cashes out again

4:48 - Moi!! 2-1

4:49 - Big save McC - phew that was close!

4:50 - Knew we’d win/glad to be proved wrong

Edited by OttawaSaint

2:05 - FFS Hoedt? Hughes out!

3:00 - COYRs

3:05 - Come on, we’re getting battered, where’s Romeu? Redmond sucks!

3:15 - This is tepid, no shots yet!

3:25 - Free header! We escaped there, Stephens out

3:37 - Cedric sucks

3:45 - **** first half, this is a must win game!

4:01 - Trousers “got 0-0 written all over it”

4:02 - FFS! Worldie from Shelvy, allowed to run right through! 0-1

4:03-4:36 - Hughes/Ralph/Reed out!

4:37 - Glasgow cashed out

4:37.5 - Boooom! INGS! 1-1

4:45 - How did Long miss that???

4:46 - A point isn’t enough

4:47 - Glasgow cashes out again

4:48 - Moi!! 2-1

4:49 - Big save McC - phew that was close!

4:50 - Knew we’d win/glad to be proved wrong

Brilliant... :lol: could have been an actual transcript

any idea for replacement? surely we could end up with another Pellegrino? do you have faith in Reed and Wilson to hire a 'decent replacement'?

that's without mentioning that we have no idea about the cost and impact of terminating Hughes' contract.

All three sides relegated last season changed their manager ( West Brom twice) didn't help any of them. Its not that I'm against changing a bad manager but people seem to think changing manager is some sort of magic sticking plaster that will changing things it doesn't always work out like that.

I don't agree it's must win. The bottom 7 are in a relegation battle and will be most the season I'd imagine. Our best shot is getting a decent manager in. That would be a huge boost. You can't say the same for Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle and maybe even Fulham. Think they have decent coaches and would struggle to get better.

I'm just desperate to see a consistent line up out there. It's the only thing that helps players find their feet, play well together and hit form. We struggle to score, we know that. Pandering to fans with this 442 stuff is nonsense. It's never worked for us, it rarely works for anyone now and it doesn't suit the squad we have. Austin is garbage, Long is garbage, Gabbiadini is off form. So just play Ings.

There's a weird reaction to JWP on here but he was doing well when starting regularly, and he's always replaced with people who don't perform anyway so it's a low bar. Fact is, a team not scoring many needs the best set piece threat possible.

Ings

Elyounoussi

Redmond Højbjerg Lemina JWP

Would be my choice. Prefer JWP wide right linking with Cedric. Free up Elynounoussi too who looks to have talent but just think he's not getting involved enough.

Here we go. Jemane annus blahblah, "Best set piece taker in the Universe" BlahBlah. JWP is shiiite in free play. All now agreed. STATS SAY HE IS NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE in the squad. Fact.

So, if he is a good/bad as anyone else at set pieces and shi iite at anything else, what the hell is the point of him? STATS. STATS. STATS.

Here we go. Jemane annus blahblah, "Best set piece taker in the Universe" BlahBlah. JWP is shiiite in free play. All now agreed. STATS SAY HE IS NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE in the squad. Fact.

So, if he is a good/bad as anyone else at set pieces and shi iite at anything else, what the hell is the point of him? STATS. STATS. STATS.

Calm down!

Lots of spit on your monitor/screen after that i suspect...

I wasn't speculating on what we will get, I just don't think Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham or Newcastle will get high 30s. Someone will stay up with 34 / 35 or thereabouts, like we did last season!

Blame pundits for this mythical 40pt bs

Not sure, Redmond has taken pretty much every free kick and corner and has yet to register an assist or even put the ball into an area a Saints player managed to get on the end of, or even register a shot on target in a 810 min season so far from him, don't even get me started on Moi who is even worse so far although has yet to settle so can be forgiven.

No one has or will say JWP will come in and suddenly start playing like a god...….. but what people can see, if for two season we struggle to score goals from open play, why do we not try to even try a different approach and add set pieces to are world famous dribblers?. its not like JWP is bad at free kicks and stuff, he is statistically one of the best in the league, yet all we want to do is run and dribble which after last season, the season before and 9 games this season has proved to be rather ineffective? unless you are going to tell me 6 goals in 9 matches is good?

People can hide from stats all they want, A few weeks ago, Cabbage face was sprouting out how JWP should assist more than Redmond cause he takes all the free kicks and corners ( From the bench ) and played less than half the mins Redmond managed but out assisted and out scored him. Redmond has taken every free kick and corner in what 7 games with Moi doing it in 1 game and instantly got dropped from the responsibility yet we have not created a single chance from a set pieces apart from at Everton in which we created 4 solid chances and Ings got his first goal for us, is it not a surprise to know that JWP played that game?

No one says drop Redmond, no one says drop Moi, people are saying that we should go back to a 4231 / 433 and have Redmond Ings and Moi as the front 3 with JWP Lemina and HOJ playing mid leaving out Austin / Long, as this gives us more control in the middle of the park ( Which seems to get over run in every game so far this season ) and also gives us a chance at scoring from set plays.

I don't care either way who plays, looks like we are in for a relegation battle any way, least we have are super duper wingers with pace and dribbling skills to provide all the chances and score all the goals.

Not sure, Redmond has taken pretty much every free kick and corner and has yet to register an assist or even put the ball into an area a Saints player managed to get on the end of, or even register a shot on target in a 810 min season so far from him, don't even get me started on Moi who is even worse so far although has yet to settle so can be forgiven.

No one has or will say JWP will come in and suddenly start playing like a god...….. but what people can see, if for two season we struggle to score goals from open play, why do we not try to even try a different approach and add set pieces to are world famous dribblers?. its not like JWP is bad at free kicks and stuff, he is statistically one of the best in the league, yet all we want to do is run and dribble which after last season, the season before and 9 games this season has proved to be rather ineffective? unless you are going to tell me 6 goals in 9 matches is good?

People can hide from stats all they want, A few weeks ago, Cabbage face was sprouting out how JWP should assist more than Redmond cause he takes all the free kicks and corners ( From the bench ) and played less than half the mins Redmond managed but out assisted and out scored him. Redmond has taken every free kick and corner in what 7 games with Moi doing it in 1 game and instantly got dropped from the responsibility yet we have not created a single chance from a set pieces apart from at Everton in which we created 4 solid chances and Ings got his first goal for us, is it not a surprise to know that JWP played that game?

No one says drop Redmond, no one says drop Moi, people are saying that we should go back to a 4231 / 433 and have Redmond Ings and Moi as the front 3 with JWP Lemina and HOJ playing mid leaving out Austin / Long, as this gives us more control in the middle of the park ( Which seems to get over run in every game so far this season ) and also gives us a chance at scoring from set plays.

I don't care either way who plays, looks like we are in for a relegation battle any way, least we have are super duper wingers with pace and dribbling skills to provide all the chances and score all the goals.

quite here is a stat

The 24-year-old leads the way for Southampton when it comes to creating chances; Redmond has created 13 for his teammates this season, according to Squawka - good enough for 14th best in the Premier League and three more than Saints' next best, Danny Ings.

Despite setting up 13 chances this season, Redmond is yet to register his first assist of the year - a pretty damning statistic for Southampton's forwards.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/23/ac-southamptons-nathan-redmond-feels-refreshed-after-change-in-o/

quite here is a stat

The 24-year-old leads the way for Southampton when it comes to creating chances; Redmond has created 13 for his teammates this season, according to Squawka - good enough for 14th best in the Premier League and three more than Saints' next best, Danny Ings.

Despite setting up 13 chances this season, Redmond is yet to register his first assist of the year - a pretty damning statistic for Southampton's forwards.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/23/ac-southamptons-nathan-redmond-feels-refreshed-after-change-in-o/

Pretty good isn't it. Now take note he has had 810 mins so far this season so a chance every 62.30769230769231 mins.

JWP has 94 mins, 1 chance created in open play, 4 from corners and free kicks and 1 second assist, so 6 chances yeah ready that's a chance every 15.66666666666667 mins. taken from the same website as the source you just posted, great isn't it!!!

http://www.squawka.com/en/football-player-rankings?c=29&t=21863&st=117,118,111,112

Stats my friend, question you should be asking your self is, how many would JWP have if he had 810 mins not 94?

Just saying before the witch hunt starts.....

I am not saying JWP is better than Redmond, different players.

Am just asking the question why he does not start when he adds a different type of goal chance for the team than just running and dribbling. it really is not rocket science to have more options of scoring on the pitch than doing the same thing time and time and time again that we have done for 2 seasons + 9 games now with the same crap results.

Just saying before the witch hunt starts.....

I am not saying JWP is better than Redmond, different players.

Am just asking the question why he does not start when he adds a different type of goal chance for the team than just running and dribbling. it really is not rocket science to have more options of scoring on the pitch than doing the same thing time and time and time again that we have done for 2 seasons + 9 games now with the same crap results.

Possibly because he never made much difference in the past when he did play regularly. I'm sure you will point out a goal or an assist here and there but he never did anything on a regular basis. His set piece expertise is largely a myth.

Possibly because he never made much difference in the past when he did play regularly. I'm sure you will point out a goal or an assist here and there but he never did anything on a regular basis. His set piece expertise is largely a myth.

When he has a run of games he always plays well, when he comes on here n there for 10 - 15 mins he plays poorly, but so do most players. Only time I have seen JWP get a run of games is when Tadic was injured when MP 2 was in charge and he played well scoring a wonderful free kick and getting 3 assist in them 3 games, he went on to get more assists than Redmond and Tadic and out scores Redmond, for a so called sh it player. I think he does quite well.

Pretty good isn't it. Now take note he has had 810 mins so far this season so a chance every 62.30769230769231 mins.

JWP has 94 mins, 1 chance created in open play, 4 from corners and free kicks and 1 second assist, so 6 chances yeah ready that's a chance every 15.66666666666667 mins. taken from the same website as the source you just posted, great isn't it!!!

http://www.squawka.com/en/football-player-rankings?c=29&t=21863&st=117,118,111,112

Stats my friend, question you should be asking your self is, how many would JWP have if he had 810 mins not 94?

As pointed out, in the article I linked to, it would probably make **** all difference our players have failed to convert any of Redmond's chances (hence why your no assists stick is a lame one to beat him with hardly his fault our forwards are junk) why do you think they would be any better converting JWPs chances?

this sums it up nicely from football 365 winners and losers article this week

Southampton’s shooting

But don’t think you are getting away with, sinning Saints. Southampton have had 124 shots this season; that’s the fifth most in the Premier League. Southampton have scored six goals this season; that’s the 18th most in the Premier League.

Any team that converts 4.8% of its shots either needs to be bloody brilliant at the back or outrageously effective at creating clear-cut chances. Sadly, Southampton are neither. They better hope that the finishing gets better rather than the number of shots tails off, or they really could go marching in to the Football League.

ttps://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-jose-mourinho-liverpool

We are creating enough chances/shots we need players who can actually put them in the back of the net (and yes Redmond is a guilty as the rest of them on that score)

As pointed out, in the article I linked to, it would probably make **** all difference our players have failed to convert any of Redmond's chances (hence why your no assists stick is a lame one to beat him with hardly his fault our forwards are junk) why do you think they would be any better converting JWPs chances?

this sums it up nicely from football 365 winners and losers article this week

Southampton’s shooting

But don’t think you are getting away with, sinning Saints. Southampton have had 124 shots this season; that’s the fifth most in the Premier League. Southampton have scored six goals this season; that’s the 18th most in the Premier League.

Any team that converts 4.8% of its shots either needs to be bloody brilliant at the back or outrageously effective at creating clear-cut chances. Sadly, Southampton are neither. They better hope that the finishing gets better rather than the number of shots tails off, or they really could go marching in to the Football League.

ttps://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-jose-mourinho-liverpool

We are creating enough chances/shots we need players who can actually put them in the back of the net (and yes Redmond is a guilty as the rest of them on that score)

Yes but most of the shots are not good shots more like hit n hopes, and neither are the chances, which is why you have a stat called clear cut chances which are meant to mean chances that should be scored / embarrassing misses. we also have 1 of the lowest clear cut chances created.

Yes but most of the shots are not good shots more like hit n hopes, and neither are the chances, which is why you have a stat called clear cut chances which are meant to mean chances that should be scored / embarrassing misses. we also have 1 of the lowest clear cut chances created.

Maybe you should write in French pal, that is, if you’re not fibbing again.

Maybe you should write in French pal, that is, if you’re not fibbing again.

in stead of being a see you next tuesday, go look it up, im not your personal f stat collector who checks every thing, I have a life out side of the Saintsweb fc world class stuck up own arse forum you know.

http://www.squawka.com/en/football-player-rankings?c=29&t=21863

Off you go Dave...……..

You wont find clear cut chances on here, you will have to do some real work and go through Sky sports website site for clear cut chances or the EPL official website.

I agree. If we’re going with 2 strikers, it’s got to be Ings and Gabbi by default really. Austin and Long are utterly, hoplelessly awful.

Let's hope Sparky can see this too - probably the only chance he has of keeping his job for longer. Any word on Lemina's fitness?