Finishing: Ormerod vs Long

Dusic

Scenario:

Saints are home to Newcastle in the final game of a PL season which despite club PR about a top 10 finish has winded up in a relegation battle that fans spotted in November, 4 months before the Club's hapless Manager was fired following a run of 7 defeats.

Saints start brightly and take the lead but Newcastle equalise. Only a win will save Saints from relegation and in the last minute a player is put through, 30 yards from goal with just the keeper to beat.

As they reach the edge of the area, would you rather it were Ormerod or Long?

For me:

I've never seen a player scuff more shots than Brett whilst Shano often looks he cannot strike a ball properly and has an utterly awful first touch so might well toe it to the keeper by accident.

Would have to be Brett for me.

bd82df19cd74a18149ab6c3858820f13.jpg47d3d6a9b6146c9c7006df8d72dd2229.jpg

Shane Long provided me with one of the highlights of my saints supporting career. IIRC the game v Chelsea and when running through on goal at pace, a relatively tight angle and not far from goal with the keeper advancing it seemed a very difficult chance to score. he then produced what on first instance appeared to be an outrageous piece of skill, appearing to somehow lob the keeper and get enough dip on the ball for it to clear Courtois and his outstretched arms yet come back down and hit the top the bar, it appeared to be a magnificent attempt and cruelly denied a great goal. However on second viewing he'd actually slipped, miskicked the ball which had then hit his standing foot and looped into the air over the keeper onto the bar.

In answer to the original question, watching ormerod practice kick ups before one game told me everything I needed to know about him - a world record of 3 was the best he could manage. However, he mostly knew where the goal was. Long on the other hand seems to have no idea what he is supposed to shoot at (or do on a football field) and for me is not a footballer, just a very fast pest. So it's a no brainer for me - Brett.

For the other question, Rickie every time. By far and away our most natural finisher for a long long time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Flipping it on its head a little, who would you MOST want of all our forwards in the period from Ormerod to now? From 30 yards out and keeper to beat... I'd actually go for JRod I think.

Ormerod by a mile of those three for finishing ability. Long for running around and defensive, Rodriguez for the other stuff around the box (but he used to sidefoot straight at the keeper too often too).

Ormerod by a mile of those three for finishing ability. Long for running around and defensive, Rodriguez for the other stuff around the box (but he used to sidefoot straight at the keeper too often too).

Ormerod over Jay Rod for finishing? Interesting.

Ormerod over Jay Rod for finishing? Interesting.

Less in it than you'd think though most people would have Jrod down as a much better finisher but over his career Brett average a goal every 3.81 games j-rod currently averages a goal every 3.68 a game (obviously j still has a few years of his career to go).