Hoddle taken ill

JustMike

Was a total bar-steward to Le Tissier but I wish him a speedy recovery.

The chap making bad taste karma jokes.... Sick.

Fingers crossed he pulls through. Early 60's is no age these days.

Edited by LGTL

Lots of people believe that decisions made in a past life have consequences in this one. Why is it always Hoddle that gets picked up on for saying it? Didn't someone (I think I know who it was, an actor but I don't wanna name him in case it wasn't) say that children who are sexually abused are being punished for sins of a past life? IMO that's much worse than what Hoddle said. Hoddles entitled to his beliefs and if he happens to believe in Karma then that's up to him, it's an ancient concept which has existed pretty much since the dawn of time.

I like Hoddle. He's one of the better TV pundits IMO however that's irreverent to the situation I guess since I don't know anyone who uses well-wishings based on how good someone is as a football pundit.

Get well soon, Hod.

Lots of people believe that decisions made in a past life have consequences in this one. Why is it always Hoddle that gets picked up on for saying it? Didn't someone (I think I know who it was, an actor but I don't wanna name him in case it wasn't) say that children who are sexually abused are being punished for sins of a past life? IMO that's much worse than what Hoddle said. Hoddles entitled to his beliefs and if he happens to believe in Karma then that's up to him, it's an ancient concept which has existed pretty much since the dawn of time.

I like Hoddle. He's one of the better TV pundits IMO however that's irreverent to the situation I guess since I don't know anyone who uses well-wishings based on how good someone is as a football pundit.

Get well soon, Hod.

I agree, it’s an ancient concept. It has no place in modern society and saying others have done or said worse is no excuse for anything.

I wish him well personally and hope he makes a full recovery but if he doesn’t then by his own beliefs that’s down to the will of God.

Awful news, I hope He makes a full recovery. He brought us some good times, and left only for his beloved Spurs, which I’ll never blame him for.

On a side note, am I the only one shocked that we seem to be the only club to have not tweeted our best wishes to Glenn? Even clubs from all corners of the globe, and with no association have sent their love and thoughts to Glenn and Family.

Awful news, I hope He makes a full recovery. He brought us some good times, and left only for his beloved Spurs, which I’ll never blame him for.

On a side note, am I the only one shocked that we seem to be the only club to have not tweeted our best wishes to Glenn? Even clubs from all corners of the globe, and with no association have sent their love and thoughts to Glenn and Family.

SFC tweeted yesterday

Get well soon, Hod.

The outpouring of public grief for every "Famous" person is beyond belief these days. The vast majority of people have never even met these people and indeed was the situation reversed the celebrity would, in most likelihood, not even acknowledge it.

I don't see what's wrong with talking about his beliefs and relating them to his current situation. People need to get over themselves.

I agree, it’s an ancient concept. It has no place in modern society and saying others have done or said worse is no excuse for anything.

I wish him well personally and hope he makes a full recovery but if he doesn’t then by his own beliefs that’s down to the will of God.

Maybe he'd agree with you.

The outpouring of public grief for every "Famous" person is beyond belief these days. The vast majority of people have never even met these people and indeed was the situation reversed the celebrity would, in most likelihood, not even acknowledge it.

I don't see what's wrong with talking about his beliefs and relating them to his current situation. People need to get over themselves.

I don’t agree with you. What does it matter if you don’t know someone personally? These people gave millions of people pleasure. Anyone with an ounce of empathy would wish someone they only knew by their celebrity status but admired what they did would be concerned if the fell seriously ill or upset if they passed away. I never knew Markus but was very sad at his passing. Is that wrong? We all love football. Glenn Hoddle was one of the most skilful to play the game. It is only natural to be interested and concerned about his well being if you follow the game. It isn’t a recent thing. It has been going on forever.

I don’t agree with you. What does it matter if you don’t know someone personally? These people gave millions of people pleasure. Anyone with an ounce of empathy would wish someone they only knew by their celebrity status but admired what they did would be concerned if the fell seriously ill or upset if they passed away. I never knew Markus but was very sad at his passing. Is that wrong? We all love football. Glenn Hoddle was one of the most skilful to play the game. It is only natural to be interested and concerned about his well being if you follow the game. It isn’t a recent thing. It has been going on forever.

This but sadly now a days it's "cool" to go against the crowd.

actually they were among the first to tweet their best wishes

Really? Ancient yes, but it is the very foundation of the oldest religions in the world (Hinduism, Buddish etc.). Bit like saying God or Christianity has no place in modern society - which may be your perfectly entitled belief, but that does make it so for everyone else. Each to his own, and that was what Hoddle was trying to say (albeit badly) at the time - anyway it was just an excuse for the FA to get shot of him - why they couldn't man up and just fire him is beyond me!

it was just an excuse for the FA to get shot of him - why they couldn't man up and just fire him is beyond me!

Were they actually trying to get rid of him? My recollection is that they initially tried to avoid losing him over the incident. That said, I didn't follow the story particularly closely. I did think at the time that his remarks were crass for somebody so firmly in the public eye, but I hope he now recovers quickly.

His words gave offence to disabled and the FA sponsors threatened to withdraw support, also Prime Minister Tony Blair had to stick his nose in. Glen must be the first manager sacked for his theological or religious views. what happened to freedom of religion in his case? Accoprding to his own (bad) theology he is now being punished for somethinng he has done. Get well soon!

His words gave offence to disabled and the FA sponsors threatened to withdraw support, also Prime Minister Tony Blair had to stick his nose in. Glen must be the first manager sacked for his theological or religious views. what happened to freedom of religion in his case? Accoprding to his own (bad) theology he is now being punished for somethinng he has done. Get well soon!

There’s a line somewhere between freedom of religion and offending people. A rather blurry line but Glenn was definitely the wrong side of it. Imagine being a young kid who dreams of playing for England but knowing you never will because you’re in a wheelchair. That must be horrible but then to top it off, the England manager says you are being punished for being a terrible person in a past life.

Glenn has every right to his beliefs but airing such controversial beliefs publicly was naive.

Having empathy is fine, posting "get well soon" on a discussion forum that neither Glenn or his family will ever see I do find that a little strange but Taking offence because Saints haven't tweeted about it? Getting upset because someone mentions Karma? That's not empathy.

There’s a line somewhere between freedom of religion and offending people. A rather blurry line but Glenn was definitely the wrong side of it. Imagine being a young kid who dreams of playing for England but knowing you never will because you’re in a wheelchair. That must be horrible but then to top it off, the England manager says you are being punished for being a terrible person in a past life.

Glenn has every right to his beliefs but airing such controversial beliefs publicly was naive.

Christ are you really trying to dig up a 20 year old argument again?

This but sadly now a days it's "cool" to go against the crowd.

Go against the crowd? You mean not be a sheep and have your own thoughts? Again, it's terrible news and should be primarily for his family and friends. He didn't do what he did in football, business etc for the pleasure of others, or indeed to help others. He did it for himself and his family - and to an extent his club and national side. Frankly, if it was me, i'd want the everyone to leave my family to it.