Saints 0 Newcastle 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

1. Hughes Out - no plan, no philosophy

2. Starting Austin is like playing with 10 men

3. Hoedt was actually very good

4. Lemina also

5. Gap already appeared in the league unlike last year. We won't ever be higher than 13th this season and probably a lot lower.

Has he gone yet? This was one game we should have won and we didn't. If we can't pick up 3 points against a bottom 3 side at home we're going down.

Simply not good enough. A less than bang average team with a half decent manager would have won today. Unfortunately we are **** and have another clown in charge. It's going to be a long season :(

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

The team are snakebit in front of goal. Repeatedly turning out the same attacking lineup that has repeatedly failed to score does not seem like a good idea. Austin looks slow and out of position far too often, has a Shane Long type of first touch and he seems to have lost his eye for goal. Gabbiadini should start ahead of him even if Austin recovers from his shoulder injury. He links up far better with the other attacking players and takes intelligent positions - he looked great in the move that created Long’s missed opportunity towards the end. All those wasted long range efforts today won’t endear Gabbiadini to Hughes, though.

Newcastle were awful. We should have won. Saints defenders were comfortable, including Hoedt and Stephens. I’m struggling to remember a moment when Newcastle seriously troubled McCarthy and the defenders. I thought that Lemina was decent today defensively particularly in the second half when Hughes tried to open things up.

All in all another frustrating home game.

I think you'll all be disappointed again even if we do change manger.

Three seasons and three new managers in a row and people are still going with the "A different manager could get these players winning" line.

The players are poor, the squad is poor. We argue endlessly about what the team the manager should put out and yet no matter which combination of players we play in which formation we continue to be awful.

I don’t know why fans keep looking at themanager when it’s obvious that Reed and Wilson are the culprits.

It is diabolical that they are still at the club, but KL was more interested in getting her inheritance in rather than making sure had truly proper new owners.Any owner who knows about football would have got rid of Wilson ( minimum).

The squad has no guile and pace, creativity is nowhere to be seem, and to have to rely on CA when it was obvious last season he was not fit was criminal.

I saw a clip after the game and our players were on the ground as though we had lost

We’ve become a team that is totally pointless to the league. The squad itself is clearly good enough for a mid table finish but some of the stats around us are a flat out embarrassment.

Players like Austin coming out and saying we need to get rid of the negativity etc. He’s lucky anyone even comes to St Mary’s anymore. One win at home in nearly a year? There are barely any words to describe how shocking that is. No goals in 5, again pathetic.

We’ve got absolutely nothing about us anymore, and I struggle to find any positives about our team over the last two years. I can’t see much changing when every stat suggests nothing is different to last year, with no signs of change.

We’ve become a team that is totally pointless to the league. The squad itself is clearly good enough for a mid table finish but some of the stats around us are a flat out embarrassment.

Players like Austin coming out and saying we need to get rid of the negativity etc. He’s lucky anyone even comes to St Mary’s anymore. One win at home in nearly a year? There are barely any words to describe how shocking that is. No goals in 5, again pathetic.

We’ve got absolutely nothing about us anymore, and I struggle to find any positives about our team over the last two years. I can’t see much changing when every stat suggests nothing is different to last year, with no signs of change.

we have become and totally pointless side that does not really deserve to be in the league.

That is squarely down to Kat, Les, Ralph and some of Gao

I have been faaaaar closer to the mark regarding Puel (and burley) than you.

Reckon you have a blind spot with managers

well you haven’t have you, as you tell us how close he is to the sack all the time. How can you be closer to the mark when you keep saying that they are losing their job but they don’t,you are like Daley with finishing 17th sooner or later you are proved right if you predict it enough times.

well you haven’t have you, as you tell us how close he is to the sack all the time. How can you be closer to the mark when you keep saying that they are losing their job but they don’t,you are like Daley with finishing 17th sooner or later you are proved right if you predict it enough times.

I was 6 months out about Puel.

He is on thin ice at Leicester, fallen out with their star player....

Where is Hojbjerg? Is he injured? He is one player who could have made a difference today, because there were at least a couple of opportunities to have shot from outside the box with a clear sight of goal. Lemina MOTM in midfield without him, Romeu a reasonable deputy, but does not bring what Hojbjerg is beginning to show consistently.

Overall, it wasn't the wrist slashing dross that some on here are inferring; we played quite well generally, but lacked the cutting edge up top to put away several chances that we carved out. It is becoming well known that we create more chances than most other teams apart from the top 4 or 5, but our finishing is dire. Today we would have improved our chances with a play-maker producing the killer defence splitting ball into feet in the box, but we sold that player to Ajax in the Summer and his replacement hasn't got it.

Ings, Gabbiadini, Austin and Long all seem to be lacking in the confidence and the ability to score goals at the moment. Ings puts himself about, but often goes too deep to pick up balls, instead of being in the box on the end of them. Austin is a goal poacher whose final touch is deserting him and today he even shied away from having a pop himself and failed in his passes to a team mate no better placed than him. A striker afraid to shoot on a half chance from lack of confidence is not much good. Long shouldn't any longer be considered a striker, but has his uses in a team because of his pace, chasing lost causes and getting stuck in to win back the ball.

Defensively we at least give the appearance of improvement, having kept clean sheets the last couple of matches, but again, McCarthy was virtually a spectator today. Both Stephens and Hoedt looked solid today, Cedric and Bertrand OK out wide, but Cedric better than Bertrand offensively. Redmond and Elyounoussi switched wings a couple of times, Redmond being more of a nuisance in attack, but with little end result, flattering to deceive. As stated earlier, Elyounoussi adds little compared to what Tadic did, so what is the point of him?

I don't refute the substitutions as the introduction of fresh legs and a different type of player to see whether that made any difference, but it didn't. Chances continued to present themselves, but the inability to finish them also persisted. As well as the lack of shooting prowess, we lack the pace on the break that would stretch defences. Mane is exactly the type of player that we don't have any longer, so our attacks are pedestrian, allowing defences to get back in numbers.

I'm already in the camp that says that unless we are well clear of the bottom 4 by the end of the year, we shouldn't hesitate again in appointed another manager before we end up not having enough time to turn things around like we did this past season. We have had a relatively easy run of early season matches and should have gained far more points. Not having done so, leaves us short of confidence and belief, which will be exacerbated if we suffer a string of heavier defeats at the hands of the top clubs. I suspect that our last manager but one will inflict his usual defeat on us on Tuesday, just to rub salt into the wounds. Against City, we will hold them heroically to a draw until the last minute of extra time, when Sterling will score.

McCarthy- had nothing to do 10/10

Cedric - would be better in a better side 6/10

Hoedt - best game, which days a lot considering Newcastle didn’t attack 7/10

Stephens - as above 7/10

Bertrand - best player we have 7/10

Moi - tries to make things happen, think he will be fans new Tadic 6/10

Lemina - why he can’t consistently be like this 8/10

Romeu - boring player did a job 6/10

Redmond - did ok 7/10

Austin - no, just stop 1/10

Ings - needs support 5/10

Jwp - the man, the myth 2/10

Gabbi - imo you start him constantly he will score, stop dropping him 3/10

Long - can’t think of a worse striker in the league -10/10

My review 1/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More worrying than the poor individual performances (of which there were 7 or 8) was the dissent within the team; Hoedt arguing with McCarthy just one example. Bertrand clearly is not captain material (and I don't think he will feature in Southgate's dreams again), someone needs to show genuine leadership on the pitch and pull the team together. At one point I thought Southampton were going to hit full melt-down - a few more pathetic performances like that and I suspect it will happen on the pitch, which is never pretty.

Something is very wrong deep in the heart of the club.

The rot set in when Cortese left he had a plan and a vision now we have neither. We were lucky to get Koeman and have the remenants of a haf decent squad that was performing well enough to encourage talent to still come here after Poch left. However since Koeman left the lack of a vision and a plan have become clear and obvious to all. Koeman saw it and so did Puel.

We are quick to sell anyone half decent and we keep the dead wood this policy has but one outcome.

We are no longer a club that attracts good youth and we are not prepared to pay for proven quality again this leads only one way

Why on earth would anyone half decent want to join this lot now?

It is not the managers it is the deep malaise that is slowly rotting the club from top down.

A new broom is required urgently throughout the club no sticky tape and plaster solutions will now suffice the rot is now too deep!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

I was 6 months out about Puel.

He is on thin ice at Leicester, fallen out with their star player....

amazing how close that you were 6months out in a guess when the person was only in the job less than a year

Vardy is a horrible runt, those Leicester players got rib of Ranieri

The rot set in when Cortese left he had a plan and a vision now we have neither. We were kucky to get Koeman and have the remenants of a haf decent squad that was performing well enough to encourage talent to still come here after Poch left however since Koeman left the lack of a vision and a plan have become clear and obvious to all. Koeman saw it and so did Puel.

We are quick to sell anyone half decent and we keep the dead wood this policy has but one outcome.

We are no longer a club that attracts good youth and we are not prepared to pay for proven quality again this leads only one way

Why on earth would anyone half decent want to join this lot now?

It is not the managers it is the deep malaise that is slowly rotting the club from top down.

A new broom is required urgently throughout the club no sticky tape and plaster solutions will now suffice the rot is now too deep!

the whole policy is a nonsense if you sell a player for £50 m profit but then squander that or more on bad purchases. You are not going forward at all

Where is Hojbjerg? Is he injured? He is one player who could have made a difference today, because there were at least a couple of opportunities to have shot from outside the box with a clear sight of goal. Lemina MOTM in midfield without him, Romeu a reasonable deputy, but does not bring what Hojbjerg is beginning to show consistently.

Hoj was ill.

Hard to blame Hughes for that, should have won comfortably but our finishing and composure in the last third was shockingly bad. Having said that Newcastle were a mess and we failed to put them to the sword. I’m not convinced any manager would get much out of that squad but it is getting close to the point where we might as well roll the dice.

If they have someone decent lined up and ready to go they might as well sack him. I doubt that is the case though with the clowns who run our club.

I don’t know why fans keep looking at themanager when it’s obvious that Reed and Wilson are the culprits.

Reed and co are the reason we are where we are. However Hughes is responsible for the playing side. It is his job to get the players playing. His job to pick the team, pick the tactics and so on.

He said in his last interview that he sanctioned our summer signings. So he had a say on them. And two of those new signings are not getting games and one is seriously struggling. But yet he still get's picked. The same with Austin.

He has pretty much 2 players playing the same role and for however many matches in a row they have still not scored nor looked like they would. It has not worked but he has persisted with it.

For me that is a very worrying sign. If a manager can see a system is not working and doesn't change it then that manager is not very good.

Regardless of what has happened above him Hughes has taken the club to lower than MoPo2 levels. If that continues we will go down. He doesn't look as though he will change it. Thus he needs to be changed before it is too late.

My first league game back at St Mary’s since giving up my ST after the Puel season, won’t be rushing back. Drab football, **** atmosphere, handing out clappers for **** sake. Who the **** would want to buy a half and half scarf of that rubbish, roll on the championship.

We are staring relegation in the face and I don’t see a saviour on the horizon.

Reed and co are the reason we are where we are. However Hughes is responsible for the playing side. It is his job to get the players playing. His job to pick the team, pick the tactics and so on.

He said in his last interview that he sanctioned our summer signings. So he had a say on them. And two of those new signings are not getting games and one is seriously struggling. But yet he still get's picked. The same with Austin.

He has pretty much 2 players playing the same role and for however many matches in a row they have still not scored nor looked like they would. It has not worked but he has persisted with it.

For me that is a very worrying sign. If a manager can see a system is not working and doesn't change it then that manager is not very good.

Regardless of what has happened above him Hughes has taken the club to lower than MoPo2 levels. If that continues we will go down. He doesn't look as though he will change it. Thus he needs to be changed before it is too late.

all fair but sanctioning or selecting is another thing is it not. I suggest if we were going to be paid 2m we would go along with it.

Reed will never relinquish the job as it is too good, I doubt he will axe MH as again he would have the finger pointed to him by the owner. Wilson may end up being the scapegoat, as the upper management will cling on at all costs

My first league game back at St Mary’s since giving up my ST after the Puel season, won’t be rushing back. Drab football, **** atmosphere, handing out clappers for **** sake. Who the **** would want to buy a half and half scarf of that rubbish, roll on the championship.

We are staring relegation in the face and I don’t see a saviour on the horizon.

It's another terrible league so we might just get away with it again. But we will eventually, without doubt. It's exactly the same as Sunderland and Villa a few years back.

I thought that was shockingly bad today. We were playing Newcastle not City...

Austin is just a cart horse and is in the past.

Ow Hughes has the audacity to stand on the line and have a go at the fans near the end when there was a groan about passing beggars belief.

We have an unfit team that are unorganised and untrained. I’m not one for calling for heads but time to F off hughes

I thought that was shockingly bad today. We were playing Newcastle not City...

Austin is just a cart horse and is in the past.

Ow Hughes has the audacity to stand on the line and have a go at the fans near the end when there was a groan about passing beggars belief.

We have an unfit team that are unorganised and untrained. I’m not one for calling for heads but time to F off hughes

i heard from someone in the back room staff that the players are given sundays off, none of warmdowns etc. He also never goes and shows his face at the youth or young teams sessions. They feel he is a dinosaur in that respect.

there is a problem that if he uses the young players and the results get worse then it reflects on him

It's only my second home game I've seen live this season and the first for my Dad for a few seasons. Both of us were very unimpressed by the lack of intensity, the complete lack of a game plan and zero creativity. He said it'd the last time he's going to go for a long while and I can't say I blame him. It may be that we need a relegation to clear out all this rubbish or we could be going for a long slow decline.

It's only my second home game I've seen live and the first for my Dad for a few seasons. Both of us were very unimpressed by the lack of intensity, the complete lack of a game plan and zero creativity. He said it'd the last time he's going to go for a long while and I can't say I blame him. It may be that we need a relegation to clear out all this rubbish or we could be going for a long slow decline.
relegation is not a game to play. We got away with it last time as it ended up getting ML it won’t happen again. We need to get rid while we are in the PL by getting a manager who is progressive and not under the constraints of Reed and Wilson

Cant score goals, cant win at home, cant beat our expected relegation rivals. Recipe for relegation. Its not all Hughes fault but as always the buck stops with the manager. Not sure who we could bring in but Hughes cant have any complaints getting sacked with his record in charge. The last two and a half years have been dreadful as a saints supporter. Big changes needed but Reed/Krueger will not walk away so i guess a manager change is all we can hope for

relegation is not a game to play. We got away with it last time as it ended up getting ML it won’t happen again. We need to get rid while we are in the PL by getting a manager who is progressive and not under the constraints of Reed and Wilson
But the point is that any manager we bring in will be under those constraints. With this setup we will definitely be relegated at some point over the next few years.

i heard from someone in the back room staff that the players are given sundays off, none of warmdowns etc. He also never goes and shows his face at the youth or young teams sessions. They feel he is a dinosaur in that respect.

there is a problem that if he uses the young players and the results get worse then it reflects on him

If true, the board made an almighty f*** up getting Hughes in when the club is always boasting the Southampton Way of blooding youngsters. Surely they knew what he was about and his reluctance to give youth a chance?

This club is a disaster.

If true, the board made an almighty f*** up getting Hughes in when the club is always boasting the Southampton Way of blooding youngsters. Surely they knew what he was about and his reluctance to give youth a chance?

This club is a disaster.

The club panicked big time after keeping hold of MP too long. Hughes was a panic option, and after keeping us up, felt they had to give him a contract. There's no way that **** Reed will admit he's got it wrong for the third time.

The squad itself is clearly good enough for a mid table finish

Really? How many of our players would get in the Bournemouth, Watford, Everton, Wovles, Man U, Brighton, Leicester and Wet ham Teams? all are currently mid table.

We very nearly went down last season, the players purchased in the summer have not improved the team and we sold our best playmaker. Its no surprise we are struggling.