Saints 0 Newcastle 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Kept trying until the end, which is a rarity these days, but yet another game goes by where we can't buy a goal.

Yet another dog-awful team comes away from SMS with some points.

If we can't beat a team that bad at home then we don't deserve to stay up. Simple as that.

Starting with Austin is a liability. He offers zero goal threat these days and his hold up play is atrocious. Yet the dinosaur can't see it. Gabbiadini and even Long offer more of a threat and more all round ability to actually be of use on a football pitch.

Long should have scored. End of.

Hughes has to go now. The guy seriously lacks balls and keeps picking players who are clearly struggling.

That is something like 3 wins in 19 now. Around half a season. With the nightmare fixtures we have in December these results will look even worse.

We have some crap players, a crap owner and board. But any half decent manager will get what they have playing better than they are.

The guy is out of date and will take us down.

The fact that we've won once in ten games and aren't in the relegation zone shows how awful some of the teams really are.

Write off Man City away, but Fulham away is essential now.

I'd get rid of Hughes this evening tbh, just get someone in like Jardim and then give him a war chest in January and replace the mediocre players we have. It won't happen because Reed and Krueger don't have the balls to do so.

Starting with Austin is a liability. He offers zero goal threat these days and his hold up play is atrocious. Yet the dinosaur can't see it. Gabbiadini and even Long offer more of a threat and more all round ability to actually be of use on a football pitch.

A real black mark for Hughes, persisting with Austin. Plenty of effort from our lads, but short on quality and short on the element of luck needed. Lemina the best today.

Pretty poor players result in a pretty poor performance.

Austin and Long pretty much showing the strongest parts of their games again up front.

Romeu is a holding midfielder not a box to box player and doesn't really have the legs to perform such a role.

Stephens and Hoedt were actually pretty decent again. Lemina was good.

Cedric was OK, Bertrand was pretty poor.

Both wide players seem to lack speed of thought both in and out of possession. Slow to make decisions and generally want too many touches.

Ings looks worse now than he did after he'd just arrived.

Gabbi snatching at chances a bit, but still more effective than either of the non-footballers we like to play up front.

I think the formation isn't the best, but the players are the real problem. Not sure anyone else could get more out of them.

We're quite comfortably bad enough to go down, and as in other seasons, momentum is as likely to play a part in who gets relegated as player-for-player squad quality. The Watford and Fulham games next month are looking absolutely crucial, otherwise we could be rooted to the drop zone by end of year.

Hughes has to go now. The guy seriously lacks balls and keeps picking players who are clearly struggling.

That is something like 3 wins in 19 now. Around half a season. With the nightmare fixtures we have in December these results will look even worse.

We have some crap players, a crap owner and board. But any half decent manager will get what they have playing better than they are.

The guy is out of date and will take us down.

We all know Hughes will last too long and will be replaced by someone fractionally better at best. Difference is we sold our creative player and replaced him badly so we'll probably still go down this time.

This team is so lacking in personality and talent it is depressing. No sustained pressure for practically the entire game against a hopeless team, at home. Can't see any goals coming for a long time and no goals always leads to relegation eventually. Can't see any way to improve with these awful players and worse leadership at every level of the club.

The only reason for not sacking Hughes is that there isn't anyone better out there (who would come to us).

At least defensively we looked solid, that's the only positive from today. We'll see how solid we really are next weekend.

it'll be 3-0 city, they wont even have to break a sweat for it either.

The fact that we've won once in ten games and aren't in the relegation zone shows how awful some of the teams really are.

Write off Man City away, but Fulham away is essential now.

I'd get rid of Hughes this evening tbh, just get someone in like Jardim and then give him a war chest in January and replace the mediocre players we have. It won't happen because Reed and Krueger don't have the balls to do so.

Problem with Fulham is although their defense is terrible, they can score goals. If mitrovic or sessengon get a chance they'll put a few past us. I can see goals in that game for both sides.

Keeping it to three will be a miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m expecting it to be at least 5-0.

We will be 6 league games without a goal. You have to go way back to beat that record. Like 20+ years. I don’t see us scoring vs Fulham either.

****ing Saints, why couldn’t Moi just square it or Long slot it home. Broken club. Bleak future ahead.

The lack of quality on the pitch today, from both sides, was soooo evident. Both teams could be in the bottom 3 at seasons end.

Both teams could be in the bottom 3 at seasons end next season too...only in the championship! There was no quality on the St Mary's pitch today. One move in the whole match from both teams, but the chance fell to Long....oh well.

Not hidden the fact I didn't want Hughes as manager and his tenure can't end soon enough for me. The longer he stays the more likely we will be relegated. I have seen nothing from him tactically that makes me think he is a good manager. 3 wins in 18. 15 points from possible 54. Managers have been sacked for records better than that.

We are turning OK players into bad players, the sign of a club in crisis.

A stay away owner, a couple of incompetents running the day to day stuff and a manager who is running out of ideas in addition to 2 years of a want away chairman and a couple of deadbeat managers. It's no wonder the rot is deep at this club.

As of now relegation beckons.

1st half was worst in a long time which is a real achievement given how poor we've been for some time.

Second half was an improvement but not by much.

I guess the only plus was a second clean sheet in a row. Not sure if that is down to Hoedt and Stephens improving or Newcastle's complete lacking of attacking intent though.

Probably the easiest day McCarthy has had in a long time.

Agree with others that starting Austin shows the lack of understanding Hughes has about who to play and when. Austin hopelessly out of depth at this level and not fast or fit enough to score or defend from the front. Gabbi - when he eventually gets a chance thinks he has to score every time he touches the ball. So many players playing well below what they're capable of...Bertrand off form, Romeu horrible today, Elyounoussi working hard but poor decision-making ...that non-pass early on could have made all the difference...Ings poor today...Lemina played well, defence did well too. Unfortunate we missed our most in-form player Hoj today - sods law.

Can't fault the effort of the team but five games without a goal says it all. It's not all about chucking more forwards on - today was calling for more control of the midfiled and creating clear-cut chances. as it was we ended up 50:50 possession against the bottom team at home.

Today, I think our formation was wrong...we could have done with an extra midfielder and run through the centre of their defence rather than trying to beat Yedlin all afternoon - their best player.

10 games in and less than 1 point per game. Hughes is not the answer to our problems.