James Ward-Prowse

Roger

I can't see the logic in some of these arguments. If we sold him we would most probably get what he was worth. To replace him with similar quality and abilities we would need to pay a similar amount. We would lose a large wodge of agents' fees out of it.

What's the point?

Indeed. Bearing in mind he is still improving we would be mad to sell in my opinion unless price was ridiculous. As some have said on this thread finding a prem class midfielder who has scored the goals JWP has this season isn't that easy - unless you are champions league with the cash to match.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I was just looking on the BBC at saints player stats and they have JWP down as 7 goals (decent from midfield) with 83% of his shots on target but no assists? Has he really not got an assist this season doesn't seem right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/top-scorers

If you trace it back to his time in the SFC under tens hes actually delivered 876 assists in his career.

I'd be nervous about selling in the hope of replacing with better....

Our track record in recent times is pretty naff after all.

Would much prefer us to offload the useless (Moi, Hoedt, FF ect)

That's unusual. Heisenberg making a negative point about the club .

Who would have thought it ??

I was just looking on the BBC at saints player stats and they have JWP down as 7 goals (decent from midfield) with 83% of his shots on target but no assists? Has he really not got an assist this season doesn't seem right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/top-scorers

How can that be, he is our most creative player? Takes nearly all corners and free kicks but hasn't directly created one goal. Apparently he is most creative because he has highest number of key passes, most of which are recorded as coming from set pieces. He's done well for parts of this season, 7 goals is decent for an AM, can't fault that, but the nonsense of him suddenly being creative is just that, nonsense.

Well that's why the stress with the 'big big megabucks' which he would not command. More meaning a figure north of 80m. I suspect that we would accept an offer of 40-50m if it came? There are so many big clubs that are undergoing huge restructuring this summer and there are only so many world class players. Player fees are once again going to be astronomical. What we consider a huge price will only be relative.

Got a text from the partner last night- they have meetings all week. Not sure if it adds anything but thought I would share. Though straight off the bat I will say that none of the conversation was on JWP, but may be related. I also don't think any of it is particularly surprising. This is slightly paraphrased as conversation was over a few texts.

Spurs hierarchy not impressed how they have fallen away second half of the season. Don't expect to be winning the title but feel they should not be in a battle for 4th this season and should have secured 3rd more easily. Champions League has papered over the cracks a bit but does not hide the lack of squad depth. Part of this is getting Poch to trust new players coming in as he likes to work with a small squad. They think a few of the players have become complacent due to lack of real competition for places, but still have faith in the players just they need to be on their toes a bit more. Alli is the biggest example of this. Summer will be about building a deeper squad (though lessons learnt from when they spent the Bale money so looking around for younger players already established in England). Some players will come from the youth academy which has some really good players coming through apparently. But it will be combined with a couple of other younger established players. Grealish was mentioned but attitude is really important so they have gone a bit cold on that. Really important that they buy into Poch philosophy. Aarons another example who they really want but Norwich promotion makes that difficult.

His interpretation of that conversation was that it basically reinforced what was suggested the other day, that JWP would fit really well into that sort of strategy and is high up on their radar. He has no idea if contact has been made with JWP agent or club. So nothing really new here but thought it would be worth sharing.

Got a text from the partner last night- they have meetings all week. Not sure if it adds anything but thought I would share. Though straight off the bat I will say that none of the conversation was on JWP, but may be related. I also don't think any of it is particularly surprising. This is slightly paraphrased as conversation was over a few texts.

Spurs hierarchy not impressed how they have fallen away second half of the season. Don't expect to be winning the title but feel they should not be in a battle for 4th this season and should have secured 3rd more easily. Champions League has papered over the cracks a bit but does not hide the lack of squad depth. Part of this is getting Poch to trust new players coming in as he likes to work with a small squad. They think a few of the players have become complacent due to lack of real competition for places, but still have faith in the players just they need to be on their toes a bit more. Alli is the biggest example of this. Summer will be about building a deeper squad (though lessons learnt from when they spent the Bale money so looking around for younger players already established in England). Some players will come from the youth academy which has some really good players coming through apparently. But it will be combined with a couple of other younger established players. Grealish was mentioned but attitude is really important so they have gone a bit cold on that. Really important that they buy into Poch philosophy. Aarons another example who they really want but Norwich promotion makes that difficult.

His interpretation of that conversation was that it basically reinforced what was suggested the other day, that JWP would fit really well into that sort of strategy and is high up on their radar. He has no idea if contact has been made with JWP agent or club. So nothing really new here but thought it would be worth sharing.

Would be very surprised if Spurs paid big money for Ward-Prowse or recruited him in any circumstance. With respect to Sydney Saint it sounds like BS.

Shocked you would say that, we all know your great love for James!

But I don't hate him like you once claimed Ginge. Ii's always just been about my assessment of his Football ability relative to the hype and media praise he has received. No doubt he has played at an improved level for much of 2019, but it's still a stretch to think he is going to be subject to a massive offer from Spurs.

But I don't hate him like you once claimed Ginge. Ii's always just been about my assessment of his Football ability relative to the hype and media praise he has received. No doubt he has played at an improved level for much of 2019, but it's still a stretch to think he is going to be subject to a massive offer from Spurs.

Massive offer is all relative. Us forking out 30-40m on a player would be a massive offer by our standards. Spurs would consider a massive offer to be 80m+ on a player, which obviously would be at least half that for JWP

The opinions on here are interesting. I do get those who question whether since Dec JWP is having a brief purple patch before returning to the frustrating footballer who didn’t stamp himself on games - hence sell whilst stock is high. So can I ask those with the sell opinion - would you still sell JWP for £35m if he maintained his current form ? and if so I why ?(ie think we can buy better, better to sell him than others etc). Personally I think if Ralph stays so does his form and we have a 10 goal a season midfielder on our books (which probably equates to c 10 points). Another question for fun - have we ever had a 10 goal a season midfielder in the Prem ??

Lallana got 9 I think in his last season with us.

Depends if you count Sadio Mane as midfielder I suppose, otherwise it goes back to Le Tiss.

JWP's 7 this season is probably the highest we have had from a central midfielder for a very long time

Lallana got 9 I think in his last season with us.

Depends if you count Sadio Mane as midfielder I suppose, otherwise it goes back to Le Tiss.

JWP's 7 this season is probably the highest we have had from a central midfielder for a very long time

JWP hasn’t been playing as a CM. He’s played much further forward with Redmond and Ings.

JWP hasn’t been playing as a CM. He’s played much further forward with Redmond and Ings.

Whoscored has him as having played 7 starts MC, 6 at AMC, 3 at wing back, 2 MR and 1 at AMR.

That is mainly centre mid, he basically hasn't really played as a striker or one of the wide forwards, so basically played as attacking midfielder.

He's basically played similar positions to what De Bruyne and Silva do for Man City, which I'd call centre mid, also all his goals have basically come from the CM/AMC sort of position as well.

Whoscored has him as having played 7 starts MC, 6 at AMC, 3 at wing back, 2 MR and 1 at AMR.

That is mainly centre mid, he basically hasn't really played as a striker or one of the wide forwards, so basically played as attacking midfielder.

He's basically played similar positions to what De Bruyne and Silva do for Man City, which I'd call centre mid, also all his goals have basically come from the CM/AMC sort of position as well.

Whoscored :lol:

You don’t go to games do you pal?

He's normally CM in a 3, different to a CM in a 2.

Not really. It’s pretty clear that Hoj and Romeu have been the CM base (exceptions are Wolves home and whenever RH subs Romeu). Other than the odd occasion he’s also filled in as wingback, JWP has been pushed much further forward on the right. He may hold his runs at times to enable the overlap with Valery and won’t drive at players with the ball as it’s not his strength. But his starting position is much closer to Redmond and Ings (indeed he often goes beyond Ings who drops quite deep to link up play) and is currently keeping Armstrong out as part of that attacking trio.

Edited by shurlock

Whoscored :lol:

You don’t go to games do you pal?

No I actually play real football instead. I'll go with the factual stats site that serves Europes top leagues plus what is seen and observed from actual footage, not some half arsed opinion of some random guy on the internet.

Hes a centre mid and hes been playing there pretty much all season. He doesn't play anywhere near as far forward as Redmond does and most of goals in open play have come from driving out of the midfield 3 or 2. Obviously 3 have come from direct free kicks.

No I actually play real football instead. I'll go with the factual stats site that serves Europes top leagues plus what is seen and observed from actual footage, not some half arsed opinion of some random guy on the internet.

Hes a centre mid and hes been playing there pretty much all season. He doesn't play anywhere near as far forward as Redmond does and most of goals in open play have come from driving out of the midfield 3 or 2. Obviously 3 have come from direct free kicks.

So basically you don’t go and watch us play :lol:

If you think he plays alongside Romeu and Hoj, I suggest you take your head out of your arse.

I’d hate to be your gaffer if you think he’s been playing CM.

Sherlock is correct, he’s been playing in a ‘AM’ role (similar to Redmond, however Redmond gets a bit further forward and has been playing a bit as a second striker). We usually set up as a 5-2-2-1 / 3-4-3.

So basically you don’t go and watch us play :lol:

If you think he plays alongside Romeu and Hoj, I suggest you take your head out of your arse.

9 times this season he has played CM, he has 6 apps in AMC 3 apps in DRM 1 app in MR and 1 app in AMR, 20 apps 4 subs, only 2 starts under MH ( Everton + Man City ), and only failed to start 1 game under Ralph ( His first game in charge ).

If he's their Eriksen replacement, or their scouts are even considering that, then Spurs are in trouble.

Eirksen has 9 goals and 16 assists this season JWP has 7 goals and 0 assists (obviously JWP has played less minutes). Not quite a Tadic for Moi replacement but certainly I'd be disappointed as a spurs fan.

I imagine spurs are only considering it because they think they can get JWP cheap I expect Levy to offer us 10 million while getting poch to text James love notes.

Eirksen has 9 goals and 16 assists this season JWP has 7 goals and 0 assists (obviously JWP has played less minutes). Not quite a Tadic for Moi replacement but certainly I'd be disappointed as a spurs fan.

I imagine spurs are only considering it because they think they can get JWP cheap I expect Levy to offer us 10 million while getting poch to text James love notes.

I cant see JwP leaving unless it is for a big offer and we have not shifted as many others we we hoped

I cant see JwP leaving unless it is for a big offer and we have not shifted as many others we we hoped

Probably not but if the ITK is right spurs do tend to be ****s about this sort of thing Morgan, Victor, Berahino to name a few. They love to unsettle a player to make them push for a move while make stupid low ball offers to the parent club. I doubt they would offer saints anything like a enough money its not the spurs way to pay the going rate.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

JWP covered the second-most amount of ground over the Christmas period. Engine.

[TABLE=class: sp-story-body__table]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 2]Which players ran furthest?[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)[/TD]

[TD]48.01km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)[/TD]

[TD]46.71km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fred (Man Utd)[/TD]

[TD]46.49km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ashley Westwood (Burnley)[/TD]

[TD]45.52km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dele Alli (Tottenham)[/TD]

[TD]45.3km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Source: Opta[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

JWP covered the second-most amount of ground over the Christmas period. Engine.

[TABLE=class: sp-story-body__table]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 2]Which players ran furthest?[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)[/TD]

[TD]48.01km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)[/TD]

[TD]46.71km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fred (Man Utd)[/TD]

[TD]46.49km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ashley Westwood (Burnley)[/TD]

[TD]45.52km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dele Alli (Tottenham)[/TD]

[TD]45.3km[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Source: Opta[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Dele Alli clocked up most of his distance holding his arms like a penguin pursuing Mike bloody Dean round the SMS pitch begging for a penalty or 2!! ;)

Dele Alli clocked up most of his distance holding his arms like a penguin pursuing Mike bloody Dean round the SMS pitch begging for a penalty or 2!! ;)

To be fair to Alli, the one where McCarthy spilled it and then blocked his follow up he didn't appeal and actually congratulated McCarthy on his block, its Kane and Eriksson that were running around after the ref asking for a pen.

Looks like Mosin was right all along.

Not really. The main question was who -JWP or Redmond- was having a better season last season. And that was question was answered pretty emphatically given Redmond was voted player of the season by fellow players and fans alike.

Not really. The main question was who -JWP or Redmond- was having a better season last season. And that was question was answered pretty emphatically given Redmond was voted player of the season by fellow players and fans alike.

For you maybe, my argument was that he was doing a good job creating and scoring chances for a cm who missed half the league games and redders had the full season....... And still finished behind him on league goals, and looks like he will yet again be out scored by a defense / central mid lol. Ohh and that he will be a great mid in the future and he will be one of our best players blah blah blah.. Its OK, I was wrong on redders obviously as Henry is on fire and banging ng in the goals?

Ohh, 1 more thing, jwp is a better player than redders hands down.

Ohh, 1 more thing, jwp is a better player than redders hands down.
The bit that is bizarre is why you only ever compare JWP to Redmond.

They both play every minute, so are not in competition with each other. They play in the same team. They are totally different players whose roles in the team are not similar.

JWP has been great this season, no question and is playing better than he ever has done for us.

Last year Redmomd was deservedly player of the year.

But I don't get why you cannot mention JWP without comparing him to Redmond.

Its nonsence.

The bit that is bizarre is why you only ever compare JWP to Redmond.

They both play every minute, so are not in competition with each other. They play in the same team. They are totally different players whose roles in the team are not similar.

JWP has been great this season, no question and is playing better than he ever has done for us.

Last year Redmomd was deservedly player of the year.

But I don't get why you cannot mention JWP without comparing him to Redmond.

Its nonsence.

I still claim jwp did have a better season than redders, redders was fans favourite , and as always jwp is the fans whipping boy, I just point out that the amazing redders keeps being beating at his job by a defensive minded player.

I just point out our amazing forward score and assists less goals than our cm / defensive mid who gets

Ripped by fans all the time for not scoring and creating chances and yet here we are..... A defensive player scoring more than a winger is crap but the winger who's job it is to score can't beat a defensive mid? Do you see the ironey in that?

I have always been a great fan of JWP and this year he has added steel to his tackles. I thought the one on Moussa Sissoko against Spurs was special but may be the reason he is out until April. We won’t need to worry about him (or Kane?) if Spurs get through to the next round of the cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51026934

Was a brilliant, hard but fair tackle.

If he can play like he is now til the end of the season there will be offers for him.

He is turning his off the ball weakness into a strength, fair play to him.

• 3 weeks later...

He seems to be similar to Schneiderlin in that he grew into playing a deeper midfield role when he hit his mid-20s.

To be fair, he's never looked really aggressive enough to play as a CM until last year. He's really kicked on and is now easily our best player in that role.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic