James Ward-Prowse

Roger

Well, I am sure any profit will be ploughed back into a suitably (cheaper) replacement.

We have Harry Reed to bring back into the fold. Under Ralph he'll be like a new signing and he's still young and hungry so he's certain to improve. That means any money we raise when we sell JWP to Liverpool in he summer should be kept as a contingency fund to help us out in the Championship when we start to adopt the 'yoyo' strategy after failing to finish 17th.

I’m not sure why people would expect something different, Southgate didn’t even want him in the squad. He’s had a couple of months of good football, in a team fighting relegation. That’s all.

to be honest that just about sums it up. No more, no less

I’m not sure why people would expect something different, Southgate didn’t even want him in the squad. He’s had a couple of months of good football, in a team fighting relegation. That’s all.

But his form has been good since Ralph started playing him, his form was good last season and the season before, just never gets consistent game time which he is now and he the highest scoring English mid in the league and he hardly played apart in the first load of games of the season...……

If he played at a big club he would already be in the team, you know this is true.

I think he is a better player than Barkley personally.

If he played at a big club he would already be in the team, you know this is true.

But he wouldn't play at a big club. He's a decent player but Barkley offers much more.

But his form has been good since Ralph started playing him, his form was good last season and the season before, just never gets consistent game time which he is now and he the highest scoring English mid in the league and he hardly played apart in the first load of games of the season...……

He's 24 and this is the first time he has consistently looked half decent. He is nowhere near Alli, Sterling, Sancho or CHO and wont be in the team any time soon.

I'm a fan of JWP but can understand that Barkley is a more proven entity in an England shirt and offers more physicality.

JWP has added more to his game under Ralph and is progressing well. Hopefully he get's a chance on Monday and does himself justice.

Always find it weird when some on here seem so determined to run down our own players. Most reasonable observers surely agree he has good technical ability and is tactically adept even if they don't rate him as highly as others.

Like?

I'll respond to you as unlike the other fella you have an opinion on it. Barkley, for me, just offers more. Pace, power, skill, assists, creativity, just more. JWP wouldn't get near the Chelsea team. Barkley does. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked JWP but he has his limitations.

why will JWP be fighting for a forwards position? just out of curiosity, how many we playing in a game? ok you got Alli right ill give you that but Alli is best playing behind the striker like he does for Spurs, not in a central mid role like Dier and Barkley and these two are not better than JWP.

I'll respond to you as unlike the other fella you have an opinion on it. Barkley, for me, just offers more. Pace, power, skill, assists, creativity, just more. JWP wouldn't get near the Chelsea team. Barkley does. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked JWP but he has his limitations.

More creative? how? Barkley 1.5 key passes per 90 min , JWP 2.4 per 90 min. he has more pace and power yes, but that is all. Bet Chelsea would have been glad to have JWP playing against Everton the other day.

Edited by Mosin

More creative? how? Barkley 1.5 key passes per 90 min , JWP 2.4 per 90 min. he has more pace and power yes, but that is all.

Mate, I'm not interested in a full on debate. I judge them both objectively by what I've seen of watching both of them for several years. Barkley is better imo. You think otherwise, I'm not offended. Your stats though are misleading - Barkley is miles ahead in pass completion and assists. Sure JWP is in a scoring purple patch but in general play, Barkley offers more.

https://www.fctables.com/ross_barkley-vs-jamie_wardprowse-307049-253506/

Mate, I'm not interested in a full on debate. I judge them both objectively by what I've seen of watching both of them for several years. Barkley is better imo. You think otherwise, I'm not offended. Your stats though are misleading - Barkley is miles ahead in pass completion and assists. Sure JWP is in a scoring purple patch but in general play, Barkley offers more.

https://www.fctables.com/ross_barkley-vs-jamie_wardprowse-307049-253506/

Ross Barkley, 31 games played, 31 chances total created - Taken from who scored https://www.whoscored.com/Players/92547/Show/Ross-Barkley

JWP 18 games played in. 34 chances created total - again taken from whoscored - https://www.whoscored.com/Players/105172/Show/James-Ward-Prowse

If JWP was playing in Chelseas team, he would have a lot more assists than Barkley.

why will JWP be fighting for a forwards position? just out of curiosity, how many we playing in a game? ok you got Alli right ill give you that but Alli is best playing behind the striker like he does for Spurs, not in a central mid role like Dier and Barkley and these two are not better than JWP.

For us he tends to be the 3rd furthest forward, behind Redmond and whichever gimp we’ve got playing up front for any given fixture. He doesn’t offer the back four the same protection that England’s other options do.

For us he tends to be the 3rd furthest forward, behind Redmond and whichever gimp we’ve got playing up front for any given fixture. He doesn’t offer the back four the same protection that England’s other options do.

But Barkley does not offer any protection at all, defensively Barkley is a wet noodle.

Southgate subs kind of say he doesn't really fancy Jwp , just brought on a player who hasn't even started a premier league game !

Southgate is a w&nker completely sucked in by big club players regardless of whether they actually play.

The fact he only called up JWP after others dropped out shows he never really wanted him.

Southgate is a w&nker completely sucked in by big club players regardless of whether they actually play.

The fact he only called up JWP after others dropped out shows he never really wanted him.

Southgate subs kind of say he doesn't really fancy Jwp , just brought on a player who hasn't even started a premier league game !
Why do you people expect a player who was called up because other players dropped out to then stroll into the first eleven?

You're blubbering about Southgate not fancying him when quite frankly he's the only England manager who would ever pick him at all, unless the FA decided to give the job to JWP's own father.

James Ward Prowse doesn't get a game for England. I, for one, am shocked and outraged. FFS.

Why do you people expect a player who was called up because other players dropped out to then stroll into the first eleven?

You're blubbering about Southgate not fancying him when quite frankly he's the only England manager who would ever pick him at all, unless the FA decided to give the job to JWP's own father.

James Ward Prowse doesn't get a game for England. I, for one, am shocked and outraged. FFS.

With a Harry Kane only able to score from penalties these days it’s about time Southgate called up Sam Gallagher. Ten, yes Ten championship clubs tried to sign him in January you know.

Like the player who played and was called up as a replacement after jwp ? Imo the fact that hes the highest scoring English midfielder in the league should mean he's a shoe in for the England squad no matter who the manager is. And who said he should have been in the first 11 ? Go back to bed son

Like the player who played and was called up as a replacement after jwp ? Imo the fact that hes the highest scoring English midfielder in the league should mean he's a shoe in for the England squad no matter who the manager is. And who said he should have been in the first 11 ? Go back to bed son
I imagine the outrage at this shocking injustice will be all over the English football media all weekend.

With a Harry Kane only able to score from penalties these days it’s about time Southgate called up Sam Gallagher. Ten, yes Ten championship clubs tried to sign him in January you know.

Sims got to be knocking on the door too? He was good in the last match.

Out of 6 goals for JWP, there were at least two free kicks and one penalty, none of which he will get to take for England.

If he can play like he has recently for a whole season, he might push his way into Southgate’s plans. Until then he is just another Jeffers, Nugent or Ricketts, having his 15 mins in the sunshine.

Who plays in a completely different position, is one of the most coveted teenage attackers in European football, and who was also eligible for Ghana before Southgate cap-tied him last night. As substitutions go in a game already won, it was a no-brainer.

Hudson-Odoi also happens to be really flipping good.

I don't think it was a reflection on Ward-Prowse at all. All the subs made sense: Barkley might've been average for Chelsea, but he's done well for England in recent games and was again quite decent. And it was a perfect opportunity to give Rice his debut and put to bed the Irish issue ASAP - he's going to overtake Eric Dier in no time, so he might as well be given a bit more experience when possible.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I actually think had Dier not been injured early on then jwp would have come on for him near the end. Unfortunately, in an important-ish game Southgate didn't trust either jwp or rice to play 75 mins so Barkley had to come on. If that same sub was made in the 70th minute when 3-0 up I think we see jwp.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

It interesting to see Raheem Stirling get a standing ovation and is now a hero in many fans eyes, they even said on the news this morning he is adored.

After watching Out of their skin I got the impression everyone hated him because he was black, that was certainly alluded to even if they never actually stated that. A bit like Ashley Cole, great player but not popular with the public. Perhaps it’s nothing to do with their skin colour after all but the fact that, certainly in Ashley Coles case, he came across as a complete helmet in an era with an failing England team full of egos.

It interesting to see Raheem Stirling get a standing ovation and is now a hero in many fans eyes, they even said on the news this morning he is adored.

After watching Out of their skin I got the impression everyone hated him because he was black, that was certainly alluded to even if they never actually stated that. A bit like Ashley Cole, great player but not popular with the public. Perhaps it’s nothing to do with their skin colour after all but the fact that, certainly in Ashley Coles case, he came across as a complete helmet in an era with an failing England team full of egos.

Nah this is rubbish, it just shows how fickle football fans are. A racist culture doesn't mean you hate all black players, that is an aggressive over simplification to suit your own conclusion. It means it is harder to impress people when you do well and you get a LOT more stick when you do badly. Point to one black player getting a hatrick and being applauded is reductive as ****, its like that "I can't be racist, I have a black friend" argument.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Out of 6 goals for JWP, there were at least two free kicks and one penalty, none of which he will get to take for England.

If he can play like he has recently for a whole season, he might push his way into Southgate’s plans. Until then he is just another Jeffers, Nugent or Ricketts, having his 15 mins in the sunshine.

You say that, but if he's on the pitch and we get a free kick just outside the box I wouldn't be surprised to see the team happy to let him have a crack at it given his recent efforts.

You say that, but if he's on the pitch and we get a free kick just outside the box I wouldn't be surprised to see the team happy to let him have a crack at it given his recent efforts.

But in general play he doesn't bring as much to the table as others. As a holding player Rice, Henderson and even Dier offer more. Box to box Barkley and Loftus-Cheek more. Out wide tons of players offer more. He's not an international standard footballer. Free kick taker he's come of age, but this ain't American football where you bring on a kicker.

But in general play he doesn't bring as much to the table as others. As a holding player Rice, Henderson and even Dier offer more. Box to box Barkley and Loftus-Cheek more. Out wide tons of players offer more. He's not an international standard footballer. Free kick taker he's come of age, but this ain't American football where you bring on a kicker.

This the same Dier who had an mere when we beat Spurs? obviously better, that's why they won right?

This the same Dier who had an mere when we beat Spurs? obviously better, that's why they won right?

If you think JWP would do a better job of protecting a back 4 at international level than Dier, we definitely view footballers differently.

Well you cant comment on protecting the back four when the player in question gets replaced by Ross barkley who is obviously the best player at protecting the back four.

Dier was holding. Henderson moved to his position.

But we're getting off topic. JWP is not an international footballer, and definitely not at holding mid

Edited by egg

England will go untested in this qualifying group so should line up with (when fit):

Dier or Rice holding with Loftus Cheek and Alli either side of them.

Unless a significant amount of injuries happen JWP won’t get anywhere near the starting line up and will be lucky, like this time to get in the squad.

As soon as Foden gets more minutes and Grealish comes to the PL they’re both be ahead of him as well.

That longstaff from Newcastle looks a player as well.

JWP will probably be 6/7th choice.

England will go untested in this qualifying group so should line up with (when fit):

Dier or Rice holding with Loftus Cheek and Alli either side of them.

Unless a significant amount of injuries happen JWP won’t get anywhere near the starting line up and will be lucky, like this time to get in the squad.

As soon as Foden gets more minutes and Grealish comes to the PL they’re both be ahead of him as well.

That longstaff from Newcastle looks a player as well.

JWP will probably be 6/7th choice.

not if he keeps up his current form.

not if he keeps up his current form.

If it hadn’t been for 2 freekicks people wouldn’t even be talking about him.

He has improved and deserves a start for us (bottom end PL team) but let’s not get carried away.

A shame not to see JWP get a run out but I’m sure he’ll get the chance at some point.

Very happy to see Sterling perform like that. It must have taken incredible strength of character after the grubby displays of racism, overt and casual, that he’s had to endure from both fans and media. Hats off!

Great watching England right now. Long may it last.

A shame not to see JWP get a run out but I’m sure he’ll get the chance at some point.

Very happy to see Sterling perform like that. It must have taken incredible strength of character after the grubby displays of racism, overt and casual, that he’s had to endure from both fans and media. Hats off!

Great watching England right now. Long may it last.

Strength of character? They print some tripe in the Sun granted but unless I’ve missed something, nothing resembling racism from England fans. There was that nutter at the training ground but that’s just one bloke.

Back to JWP, I can’t see him getting much game time unless there are injuries. He’s been decent for us but isn’t good enough for England, given our other options.

I don't understand why people here are so desperate for Saints players being picked to play for England. If they do, they are off (Bertrand being an exception, presumably because he came here as a big club reject, and also maybe because he has outside business interests).

Having players who are almost, but not quite, good enough for England is ideal for a club our size (and having owners chomping at the bit to cash in on the family jewels).

So do you think Stirling has no influence on England's ability to win matches?

He is very unlucky. Crap like Rice, Barkley and Odoi getting game time against a league 1 team. The media will now jizz themselves over a poor england performance and JWP will have got the message - leave saints to get england caps.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic