Man City 6-1 defeat dissection post match thread.

saint lard

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17200631.mark-hughes-has-blamed-southamptons-defeat-on-a-poor-start/

Hughes in total denial already I see

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I thought it was a fair and correct analysis.

We were certainly too weak early on and the damage was largely done in 18 mins.

After that City could play with total freedom. Cedric's blunder on half time killed any hope.

We were better in the second half and should gave scored at least two. If we'd started the second half at 1-3, it wouldn't have been as bad.

I guess McCarthy will be disappointed at being beaten at his near post for the fifth, and perhaps could gave been stronger for the last one. But although we had chances, they did too and could have had more.

I'm not suggesting that we were likely to get anything. We were playing an exceptional team at the top of their form and most opposition would have suffered a similar result.

But neither was it the abject spiritless failure being suggested by the usual suspects.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A nine hour round trip to see your team beat 6-1 is pretty tough. Only consolation is a good stadium to visit and a truly outstanding team on view.

First the positives ...and bizarrely there were some, and that is in the second half we genuinely created some chances and played at times some good attacking stuff. We stretched them at times with pace and if we had more clinical finishing would have scored three goals which should always be enough to win a game. In that sense 6-1 is cruel.

However, the first 15 mins was as unacceptable as Wet Spam or Newcastle away last year. Awful body language, inability to get a challenge in and I feared after 3-0 down it could become an absolute rugby score. Hate to dig individuals out but our international full backs aren’t delivering I am afraid. No competition for places with Credric but I would drop one of my favourite players of recent years and that is Bertrand. His commitment in that awaful opening period was a disgrace.

I would not pull the trigger on Hughes just yet, would like to see where we are at halfway stage with eight more games needing us to have 13 more points. That looks a tough ask right now though

A fair assessment. Thank you.

I guess the main question is whether the players are still playing for the manager. By sounds of the 2nd half, they are. When that changes, you have to take action.
There was plenty of spirit in the second half.

Yes, they're playing for Hughes and putting in the effort. But when you come with a game plan to keep it tight from the start, and are 0-3 down in 20 mins there's only going to be one outcome.

After our penalty I thought there was a flicker of hope but Cedric's mistake on half time killed it.

He speaks highly of you.

OK, so you would rather have lightweights in midfield instead who are easy to dispossess. Fair enough.

If fit I would rather have Romeu playing any day than James(I refuse to mark anybody ever and just jog about aimlessly) Prowse. That pointless piece of shiiiiite.

There was plenty of spirit in the second half.

Yes, they're playing for Hughes and putting in the effort. But when you come with a game plan to keep it tight from the start, and are 0-3 down in 20 mins there's only going to be one outcome.

After our penalty I thought there was a flicker of hope but Cedric's mistake on half time killed it.

I agree. We could and should have scored 3 (Ings on the rebound, and Shane shooting wide from a good pullback for the 493rd game in a row). But we didn’t.

I thought Danny Murphy was spot on on MOTD as well - we weren’t sitting back with massed defence, but nor were we pressing high. So it was neither one thing nor the other. We created more chances than many teams do at the Etihad but we also let them cut through us like a knife through butter. 8-3 would have been a fair reflection.

I agree. We could and should have scored 3 (Ings on the rebound, and Shane shooting wide from a good pullback for the 493rd game in a row). But we didn’t.

I thought Danny Murphy was spot on on MOTD as well - we weren’t sitting back with massed defence, but nor were we pressing high. So it was neither one thing nor the other. We created more chances than many teams do at the Etihad but we also let them cut through us like a knife through butter. 8-3 would have been a fair reflection.

Danny Murphy was spot on. But why on earth does Hughes push everyone up leaving the defence so exposed against probably the most skilled and ruthless team in the world? The naaivity of current tactics amazes me.

Cedric needs to be dropped as he should be a defender first, that he is not, and an attacking player 2nd. Again he is not as his final ball is rubbish.

How about us trying a different right back and seeing if that works

We dont really have another right back! Bednarek and Stephens have both played there once or twice and done ok, but obviously not their position. Valery in the U23 looks like a decent prospect, but probably not ready...

Cedric needs to be dropped as he should be a defender first, that he is not, and an attacking player 2nd. Again he is not as his final ball is rubbish.

How about us trying a different right back and seeing if that works

Unfortunately we don't have another right back, which is a disgrace given the quality of our 'first choice' one.

Unfortunately we don't have another right back, which is a disgrace given the quality of our 'first choice' one.

Was Pied particularly crap? I was a bit surprised he was let go considering out lack of alternatives.

I still look in occasionally, but theres not much point in posting any more to be honest. Its not as if anyone is interested in what I write.

This club and this site is a busted flush. We are so going down. The manager is now irrelevant to this process. Totally. 3 we've tried, and the results are just getting worse as we make more and more p*ss poor on-the-cheap recruitment decisions.

Unless there is a root-and-branch change at the club, we are totally b*ggered.

Yep, it has been a slow painful but steady decline. I coined the phrase 'sleepwalking to relegation' three years and we have been heading that way eve since.

The great thing about being otherwise engaged on a Sunday is that I managed to miss watching the game. Saw on my phone at HT that we started with an og by Hoedt, and conceded in the last minute of the half, so all seemed to be going as forecast. I heard a bit of Solent which described a few promising moves, they detailed just how much MC had paid for their individual players, JWP seemed to be playing well and then I lost interest again and it was no surprise when they scored a couple more.

I haven't fallen out of love with football yet: I was playing, we won and I scored a goal, but the Saints aspect is getting increasingly depressing.

The great thing about being otherwise engaged on a Sunday is that I managed to miss watching the game. Saw on my phone at HT that we started with an og by Hoedt, and conceded in the last minute of the half, so all seemed to be going as forecast. I heard a bit of Solent which described a few promising moves, they detailed just how much MC had paid for their individual players, JWP seemed to be playing well and then I lost interest again and it was no surprise when they scored a couple more.

I haven't fallen out of love with football yet: I was playing, we won and I scored a goal, but the Saints aspect is getting increasingly depressing.

JWP playing well? He was abysmal.

JWP playing well? He was abysmal.
Him tripping over the ball led to the first goal.

He put in some decent free kicks and corners and otherwise wasn't any worse than most of the others.

The problem was a collective lack of intensity from the start.

Him tripping over the ball led to the first goal.

He put in some decent free kicks and corners and otherwise wasn't any worse than most of the others.

The problem was a collective lack of intensity from the start.

Should have done much better for the third goal too. Other than his shot in the second half, was largely invisible in open play (though tbf Hoj was even less visible).

Edited by shurlock

Mourinho’s offered up Southampton’s ****ty performance last weekend against City as an excuse for yesterday’s Man U loss in the Manchester derby...

“It's a heavy result for the effort of a team that had three away matches in the same week, with a super difficult match of a high, demanding level in Juventus against a team that had two friendly matches at home against Southampton and Shakhtar," Mourinho told BBC Radio 5 live.”

Mourinho’s offered up Southampton’s ****ty performance last weekend against City as an excuse for yesterday’s Man U loss in the Manchester derby...

“It's a heavy result for the effort of a team that had three away matches in the same week, with a super difficult match of a high, demanding level in Juventus against a team that had two friendly matches at home against Southampton and Shakhtar," Mourinho told BBC Radio 5 live.”

Some notice board material for our upcoming game against them. I wonder if our players will respond accordingly, doubt it.

He is such a moaning prat, really dislike him now. At one point Man City utterly schooled them. He cannot take Pep being better than him.