Reed Gone - Official

Lighthouse

Were the club right to remove Reed?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Were the club right to remove Reed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I can't see Hughes lasting much longer in all honesty, a defeat on Saturday would be the end for sure.

I think, in the near future, he's actually safer. Les's replacement would likely have to sack him & choose a successor.

Hmmmm as the official statement does not say Ross Wilson will oversee football matter in the interim as it should then I think we can assume he is toast as well !!!! good

Thing is, there's nobody on the board who know anything about football (other than Wilson) & even that is certainly questionable!

Do DoF type figures bring their own staff like new manager's do? Wonder if Reed is the 'big name' to go, the replacement comes in and brings a manager/Ross Wilson replacement with him like Everton did with Silva and their DoF in the summer? Here's hoping.*

* I definitely don't blame Hughes for any of what's happening, but feel we could do with a complete overhaul to start fresh and lift everything/everyone.

You would hope we're looking at similar sized, well managed clubs and who is in charge there both in Europe and the Championship. Not necessarily who is winning everything but who is the best managed and has a good history of managerial appointments and squad recruitment.

Wouldn’t be too bad a shout looking at Brentford’s DOF (Phil Giles) and Head of football operations (Rob Rowan) to replace Wilson and Reed.

Similar club to us, in terms of mentality (buy, develop, Sale). Always punch above their weight and seem to get manager appointments spot on.

I would imagine the review of operations is to ensure that no one person has as much as influence of certain things as dear old Leslie did.

I wouldn’t expect Leslie’s replacement will wield as much totalitarian power... this will be a very much revised role with clearly defined parameters.

May I be the first to say Wenger out.

Off to Milan isn't he?

We'll probably end up with Curbishley.

We missed a trick by delaying this, and not getting Dan Ashworth in when he was clearly available. Don't have much confidence that it will be a suitable replacement that will get us out of this rut.

Yup. 100%.

wow didn't see that coming of course the interesting thing will be if getting rid of Les doesn't actually improve things...

Not quite the point, the general feeling was that if MH needs to go we didnt want Reed to be the one to replace him. I dont think most will think this will have a positive change to the on the field problems just have more positivity in that they could be resolved now moving forward with somebody else in charge of the football side.

Weren't Dodd and Williams loved by the players? Big shame if that was why they left.

Yeah, there was a big disagreement in coaching styles/preparation between them and Hunter/Reed - they were removed due to that, rather than anything from the players. As you said, they were well liked by all the lads - not sure if that's because they got an easy ride or not, but they were certainly pulling in the results!

Not quite the point, the general feeling was that if MH needs to go we didnt want Reed to be the one to replace him. I dont think most will think this will have a positive change to the on the field problems just have more positivity in that they could be resolved now moving forward with somebody else in charge of the football side.

I think it is kind of the point fans (and I include myself in this) look for scape goats Les has been the main one (Eric Black was another) for a while. If things don't get better, and I'm not convinced they will, who will be the next scape goat I wonder?

I think it is kind of the point fans (and I include myself in this) look for scape goats Les has been the main one (Eric Black was another) for a while. If things don't get better, and I'm not convinced they will, who will be the next scape goat I wonder?
Well seeing as it's basically Wilson, Reed and Ralph making the decisions apparently, if it continues to be this bad then the other two will hopefully not be too far behind.

Maybe maybe not. Either way Les had far more influence on the direction of the club than a washed up jock who put the cones out during training and spoke a bit of French.

The idea of a scapegoat is that they get blamed for things they aren't actually responsible for. It's like saying Bin Laden was a scapegoat for 9/11. Reed has been responsible for a succession of very poor decisions, for which he has rightly been removed from his post. The Carrillo situation alone showed a bizarre lack of competence.

Something had to change but I fear the damage has already been done. Whether or not it is reversible remains to be seen, but if we’re still languishing near the bottom come January’s window I reckon we will be very active. Does this mean the club has faith in Hughes? As surely he would have been the obvious candidate to try and change things?

Let' s see how Sparky does now without Les's shadow looming over him - it's going to be all down to him, for now at least.

I don't think it's Reed who made MH play 5 at the back all pre-season then immediately switch to an antiquated 4-4-2 45 minutes into the first league fixture. The tactical shambles is entirely of Hughes' own making.

Voted 'Yes' in the poll.

I usually sit on the fence for such polls as it's impossible to answer an "Is the club right?" question until the dust has settled and enough time has passed to make a judgement. However, on this occasion I've gone for the gut feel answer.

Edited by trousers

The idea of a scapegoat is that they get blamed for things they aren't actually responsible for. It's like saying Bin Laden was a scapegoat for 9/11. Reed has been responsible for a succession of very poor decisions, for which he has rightly been removed from his post. The Carrillo situation alone showed a bizarre lack of competence.

Couldn't care less about Les leaving. As far as I'm concerned he did some good stuff for us and some bad stuff that last couple of seasons have been ****e though so everyone will just remember the bad and it was time to get some fresh blood in.

People watching on here is fun though so I'm just wondering who the forum will gun for next when/if things don't improve.

Maybe maybe not. Either way Les had far more influence on the direction of the club than a washed up jock who put the cones out during training and spoke a bit of French.

I think you are being pretty harsh on old Eric plenty on here assured me he was at the root of all our problems and his removal would make all the difference.. and it did... we got worse

I wonder if this is well advanced, and we've only announced it now because the new man (presumably) has agreed to join?

Can't say I'm surprised.

I really hope that the club have been planning this for a while and doing due diligence on replacements, and that this isn't just a knee-jerk sacking for the sake of it.

Doesn't seem likely given the club statement

The search for the right replacement, along with a thorough review into the club’s football operations, has begun.

or the fact this has come right of the blue without any ITK leaks would suggest this wasn't planned to me.

Given our recent track record no doubt we will replace Les and Ross just after the Jan transfer window.....