Reed Gone - Official

Lighthouse

Were the club right to remove Reed?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. Were the club right to remove Reed?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

The idea of a scapegoat is that they get blamed for things they aren't actually responsible for. It's like saying Bin Laden was a scapegoat for 9/11. Reed has been responsible for a succession of very poor decisions, for which he has rightly been removed from his post. The Carrillo situation alone showed a bizarre lack of competence.

Exactly. Just beat me to it.

Interesting the bit about Hughes being “ a long term acquaintance of Reed’s,” I haven’t seen anyone on here allude to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just said he's known Les a long time in his press conference and been involved with him throughout his coaching career

Interesting the bit about Hughes being “ a long term acquaintance of Reed’s,” I haven’t seen anyone on here allude to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeh I saw that, which must mean Hughes is probably sweating his position more as Reed was essentially a natural backer for him on the board.

Maybe Gao is going to get more involved now? Maybe he, as Leach says, thought he'd keep the status quo cos we managed to stay up and was probably convinced by Reed it was a blip seasons etc. but now after the very poor start he is had it with excuses and is implementing the changes he wanted all along?

At first I thought it was a wind up but when I saw the Club statement I accepted their decision as genuine. However (isn't there always an however) Hughes won't be sacked win or lose on Saturday. GAO is not going to fork out millions in compensation any more than Sparky will resign. Reed going won't change much until Ralphy baby slings his hook too. Some suggestions for Reeds replacement are questionable because the very same Board Members who kept Les here so long after his sell by date haven't changed. Perhaps we have set our hopes too high again.

As per my message in the 'where do we go from here?' thread, why is Ralph "slinging his hook" so important to how we perform on the field? I don't see how he is involved in recruitment, academy or coaching issues.

Could be very likely that Wilson et al could all be going.

If they get someone in to shake up the football side, which Reed was basically head of, then that person could basically clear out most of the people down, or at least the key ones like Reed, Hughes, Hale etc. to achieve this new direction and review, they might want to bring in their own people and have a fresh start.

It's pretty clear that first team management/coaching/fitness has been poor recently and over the last two seasons (you only have to look at how less sharp Ings is now, compared to coming off the back of a Liverpool pre-season, plus our consistent ability to give away late goals which is a fitness/concentration issue).

Then the academy, at least on the face of it seems pretty poor, not many players coming through, not great performance of the U18 and U23 teams for a while.

And of course the scouting team has struggled to find any gems and doesn't seem to have recruited the right players. (though management and use of these players might also have contributed).

I am genuinely shocked at this to be honest, didn't think the club had this in them any more.

The most annoying thing about the scouting/recruitment department is that we’ve got it so wrong, so often that I genuinely believe I could do a better job on my own finding suitable players within our budget. In fact I don’t doubt I could.

There a thousands of players out there that we’ve missed out on which cost a fraction of our flops asking prices and do a considerably better job than Carillo, Hoedt, Boufal et al.

We genuinely don’t have to spunk 15-20m on players, we really don’t.

Interesting bit in the analysis bit of the BBC coverage (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46137489) saying that Reed was working in tandem with Pellegrino, may explain why it took so long for him to get the chop if Reed as pulling some of the strings.
Taking so long to fire pellegrino was he biggest mistake of his tenure. It got to the point where it was farcical. Edited by hypochondriac

Why?

Les Reed was DOF, Cortese was the CEO

Martin Hunter was a technical director (largely in charge of the academy), Cortese was the CEO

Aside from the facts of the damage he did he's not coming back to replace either one of those two people who's job he couldn't do (and both of whom he hired).

Because based on his previous record he would make the correct (not necessarily the most popular) decisions and personnel appointments for the advancement of the club.

To my mind, the appointment of Cortese or someone of similar calibre should be the very first new appointment and all else would flow from that.

I wonder if this is well advanced, and we've only announced it now because the new man (presumably) has agreed to join?

The timing of the announcement does strike me as a little odd.

If things aren't very well advanced then a more logical time to have announced it would have been at the start of the international break rather than 48 hours before an important league game (IMO). Unless they see the Watford game as a "must win" and feel that announcing it now will somehow jolt our players into becoming goal scoring machines....

As such, my hunch is that things might be quite far advanced (in terms of installing a replacement), otherwise why announce Reed's departure today (thus putting Hughes in a potentially awkward position at his pre-match press conference) rather than, say, early next week?

Edited by trousers

Wow...shocked. Didn't expect this.

Pleased and relieved also... long, long overdue. We desparately need a new approach and some fresh ideas.

That said, Les did loads of good for Saints. Worth remembering the heights that we reached, and are now so frustrated at being nowhere near, were delivered by his work...so I think we owe him some gratitude. It's a bit like the Wenger situation really.

Onwards and upwards, with a sigh of relief.

Wow...shocked. Didn't expect this.

Pleased and relieved also... long, long overdue. We desparately need a new approach and some fresh ideas.

That said, Les did loads of good for Saints. Worth remembering the heights that we reached, and are now so frustrated at being nowhere near, were delivered by his work...so I think we owe him some gratitude. It's a bit like the Wenger situation really.

Onwards and upwards, with a sigh of relief.

Its nothing like Wenger tbh.

I think this is a terrible thing and don't agree with it at all

I think we should have a petition and mark on the club to get him re-instated

Maybe we should also have a sit in at Saint Mary's.

I mean, with Les gone, what will Heisenberg do if he can't shoe-horn Les into every conversation and post, he'll disappear from the board, and I quite like him and his statements.

Bye, bye Les. Thanks for what you did, sorry it didn't work out in the end.

Onwards and upwards.

I have stated in the past that I was told that Steve Bruce was firends with Reed and in turn Bruce is greta mates with MH.

I heard today that they are not too sad at the club he has gone. Apparently Reed told the managers from the young teams up what formations had to be played. Hopefully there will be a breath of fresh air around the club and we can move on. Glasgows momentum curve does fall in with the leaving of Koeman and where we are now. It is since Reed had major control did the curve move down.

I think the timing was right. I was feeling better the devil you know during the summer, but the last roll of the dice has failed.

Did some great work but last few years have been a car crash.

Finally some decisive action from the club.

If you read the Echo article he only really had full control when Koeman came, before that it was NC. So the first year he selected well in Koeman who in turn found the players, after that when Reed really put the input in did we start to falter.

Move on Saints to better things

Jeremy Wilson's pieces always read like they have been dictated by the club over the phone, and then he adds a few bits to make it sound like he has written it without their blessing or to 'distance' himself from the bloke at the other end of the line.

Sounds like it’s effectively bought Hughes a lifeline till January (at the very least).

He's only got that lifeline if results improve though. If we lose this weekend then I could still see him go - and they do make the point that they will not wait as long as last time. Would make sense with the gap between matches.

We may also see us go for Managers that are in jobs - the 'free' manager strategy felt like a Reed one.

Jeremy Wilson's pieces always read like they have been dictated by the club over the phone, and then he adds a few bits to make it sound like he has written it without their blessing or to 'distance' himself from the bloke at the other end of the line.

That's exactly what it is, and what it always has been. He is the club's mouthpiece.

He's only got that lifeline if results improve though. If we lose this weekend then I could still see him go - and they do make the point that they will not wait as long as last time. Would make sense with the gap between matches.

We may also see us go for Managers that are in jobs - the 'free' manager strategy felt like a Reed one.

Who’s going to pick a new manager? We don’t have the expertise or capacity. Can’t see RK pulling the trigger until the review has been completed and a new DoF appointed. Indeed any prospective DoF worth his salt would want a say in the appointment process which points to waiting.

We played some of the best and worst football I've seen as a Saints supported with him at the helm. I thank him for the good times but am pleased he's gone now. Club needs a change of direction. Hopefully it's not out of the frying pan into the fire.

Who’s going to pick a new manager? We don’t have the expertise or capacity. Can’t see RK pulling the trigger until the review has been completed and a new DoF appointed. Indeed any prospective DoF worth his salt would want a say in the appointment process which points to waiting.

Although true, I think it will depend on the results. I also don't think it will take too long to appoint a new DoF.

Someone needs to be held to account for the decline in the club over the last 2.5 seasons and the 3 managerial appointments which haven't worked out. As well as the £20m signing of a player who was quickly deemed not good enough and shipped out on loan. And another new CB and AM who can't even get in the starting team.

If it was Les that made those decisions, yes he had to go.

Les should have listened to me instead of lambasting and ridiculing me 3 years ago !

Sad day for the club and football as in general. The man who built this club up from languishing in league one, behind our rise to the top top 6, cup finals, European football, the signings of Mane, Van Dijk, Bertrand, Steven Davis, building our academy up. He has been as important to this club as Ted Bates, Lawrie Mac and Le Tissier. I'd like to see the club honour him in some way like naming the canteen at Staplewood after him.

Could genuinely take years to fully recover from this Reed period.

Us fans now need to stick together and be patient.

A great day for all saints fans.

I know what you mean pal. It’s important we stick together. Some would choose to gloat, especially after taking so much abuse for so many years but you’ve been remarkably magnanimous. A real credit to our fanbase.

I know what you mean pal. It’s important we stick together. Some would choose to gloat, especially after taking so much abuse for so many years but you’ve been remarkably magnanimous. A real credit to our fanbase.

We are a family mate.

Sure we squabble (like families occasionally do)

But we are family and we need to stay United as ONE.

#WeMarchOn #Family

Sad day for the club and football as in general. The man who built this club up from languishing in league one, behind our rise to the top top 6, cup finals, European football, the signings of Mane, Van Dijk, Bertrand, Steven Davis, building our academy up. He has been as important to this club as Ted Bates, Lawrie Mac and Le Tissier. I'd like to see the club honour him in some way like naming the canteen at Staplewood after him.

Only a statue will do.

I voted "undecided".

The Koeman years were the best that we have had. I still think that he, like the rest of the club, had one hand tied behind his back due to the owners' wishes. But Pellegrino - WTF was that appointment? One that has taken us hugely backwards and we haven't recovered from. Not least as he spunked £20m away on Carillo, when instead he should have sacked the manager.

I voted undecided as well not out of any particular love for Les. More because until I know who his replacement is I'm undecided. Just in case our owner decides to give the job to a nephew or cousin or something...

Having two Gao representatives on site makes me wonder a few things. Who are they? Do they have expertise in the area of PL club management? Will they be picking Ralph’s replacement?

Also, if they are present to represent Gao, what is the point of Ralph Krueger, who I thought was supposed to be the owner’s representative at the club?