View Poll Results: Were the club right to remove Reed?

Voters
372. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

344 92.47%
  • No

7 1.88%
  • Undecided

21 5.65%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reed Gone - Official

Default Reed Gone - Official

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-...-november-2018

Discussion and potential replacements here please.

About time IMO, things have long been not right with the playing and coaching staff.

I wonder if we could prise Cortese away from AC Milan and bring him back 'home'...?

(c) CB Fry

Sadly...in some ways...about time. Remember his positive contributions...and look ahead. We march on!

Thank fook for that!!

A little bit of wee just came out when I saw that.

At last some positive news from the club.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    I wonder if we could prise Cortese away from AC Milan and bring him back 'home'...?

(c) CB Fry

Didnt even know Cortese was at AC Milan! Bring him back

Amazing news - Gao obviously does care a bit.

Now, to get someone competent in, and to appoint a new Manager and coaching team.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Well thank the lord for that. Slightly bizarre that they didn't do it in the summer though.

Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)

The King is dead !
    Long live the King !

Blog Entries

A review of the football operations should have taken place at the end of last season. The fact we had to wait until we started this season terribly as well is worrying since it was blindingly obvious that change was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    Amazing news - Gao obviously does care a bit.

Now, to get someone competent in, and to appoint a new Manager and coaching team.
    You surprise me

That being said, I think there is an argument to make wholesale changes in one go in a bid to change the mentality and feeling at the club.

12. Default

I wonder if this is clearing the decks for a Hughes replacement ....

About time, we are desperate for a new direction.

I reckon Hughes is on his way too and that Reed admits he keeps making the wrong decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    You surprise me

That being said, I think there is an argument to make wholesale changes in one go in a bid to change the mentality and feeling at the club.
    I would have thought a new Diretor of Football Operations would want his own Manager and coaching team in - he won't want to be judged on his predecessors mistakes.

more than anything it was his arrogance over not accepting what was going on around him. Fans forum aside, we have heard nothing in the last couple of years and yet before that he was fairly regularly talking himself up to the press and how great he was running the club.
    Cannot imagine for one moment Cortese coming back, especially as KL still has a stake, so that is not going to happen and the club is a different model now (unfortunately) and there is no way Cortese is going to work under those financial constrictions.

What price for Paul Muitchell as our new DoF?

Thank god.

I mean that for where the club is right now. There is no denying Reed did a good job in getting the club in a good place, no question around that, but his managerial appointments and player recruitment (which he overseas in his org) have been atrocious in the last 2 seasons.

This should have happened in the summer as now we're stuck with players that aren't ever going to set the world alight and a manager who is turning out to be yet another bad hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    I reckon Hughes is on his way too and that Reed admits he keeps making the wrong decisions.
    I think its the opposite actually. I think the club have realised that after three managers it is perhaps the players that are not good enough. So who did not get a replacement for VVD? Who sanctioned the Carillo deal? Who bought in the likes of Anonomousi and Vestergaard and Armstrong?

my informed mate thinks he's actually been on gardening leave for the last six months, since the end of last season. Not sure if that is right?

Wow. Wasnt expecting that, but glad there's some positive action taking place. Surely spells the end for Hughes too as no doubt a new person would want their own manager.

Probably wont change too much short term, but will be great to have someone signing good players and not rewarding average ones with bumper contracts, and having a manager who plays their best team and invests time into the youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    my informed mate thinks he's actually been on gardening leave for the last six months, since the end of last season. Not sure if that is right?

Doubt if you'd notice the difference anyway. A total non-entity.

I've just told one of my football crowd and she said she thought something was going on. She can see the stadium from her house across the water and the office lights have been on very late all week.

Her tongue in cheek question though: "will it help us put the ball in the back of the net?"

But how did we identify said targets? Questions must be asked of our scouting setup....

Blog Entries

I think Red’s passionate letter to Goa might just have done the trick. Goa loves passion.

Good riddance

It's a start. Still a few more need to go before I'll get too excited.

I'm with Noodles as well.. if Paul Mitchell is available and wants to come, get it done!

No doubt our black box has been scouring the finest DoF in world football for the last 2 years and will make an informed decision!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ErwinK1961 View Post

I'm with Noodles as well.. if Paul Mitchell is available and wants to come, get it done!
    Why are people so unimaginative like this? It's incredibly likely that we will appoint someone from within football that is nothing to do with the club. Its not very likely that we will go looking for people that used to work here, particularly if they are doing well elsewhere.

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ErwinK1961 View Post

Mitchell is DOF at RB Lepzig and been linked with the DOF job at United. No way he’ll come to us.

The only way I could see that we could tempt him would be to give him Les’ title (Vice chairman) and give him a huge payrise.

Unlikely, however.

Welcome Arsene Wenger

32. Default

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    At last some positive news from the club.
    Yep, that's the first positive feeling supporters have had since the win against Swansea. Long overdue, and Reed leaves with a tarnished legacy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I’m disappointed Glasgow. Was expecting something a bit more original pal. Like newspapers that have obituaries written years in advance, thought you’d be prepared for this great day.

Quote Originally Posted by saint michael View Post
    Welcome Arsene Wenger
    Good shout that.... i wonder if its possible

Surprised. Glad.

Puel was an acceptable mistake, wasn't working great, fair enough. I have no problem with the sales to bigger clubs, reinvest etc.

But the appointments of Pellegrino and Hughes have been absolutely abysmal. Just appalling. Sticking with both equally stupid. Hopefully we'll have someone come in with more progressive, long-term ideas now. Please. Finally.

Would expect Hughes to be gone by next week now regardless.

1/3rd of the steps needed. Ross Wilson and Mark Hughes replaced after we appoint Les's successor, please.

Hope so with Viera as manager

Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Good shout that.... i wonder if its possible

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    But how did we identify said targets? Questions must be asked of our scouting setup....
    You would hope we're looking at similar sized, well managed clubs and who is in charge there both in Europe and the Championship. Not necessarily who is winning everything but who is the best managed and has a good history of managerial appointments and squad recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by saint michael View Post
    Welcome Arsene Wenger
    70 next year, you'd have to wonder how long term and how motivated he would be.

Pointless unless WW Wilson goes too. If you get rid of Batman, Robin must go to. The end of the not so dynamic duo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guan 2.0 View Post
    1/3rd of the steps needed. Ross Wilson and Mark Hughes replaced after we appoint Les's successor, please.
    WW Wilson must go too. He is as culpable as G-Reed!!

42. Default

I didn't expect that, but this has given me a bit of renewed belief that there are people who can see what's going on beyond Reed and co.

Without question he did contribute here and for elements of what he did we will always have to be thankful, but over the last couple of years his increased power and involvement has made him look increasingly out of his depth. For me, Reed and Wilson are the two main characters culpable for the disastrous transfer windows over the last couple of years - so whilst this is progress, we need to also see the back of Wilson as well.

Blog Entries

second best piece of news all year, after us beating Swansea anyway.

thanks for the ride Les, but unfortunately last 2 years have ruined the previous 6 successful ones we did have.

44. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SOTONS EAST SIDE View Post
    Pointless unless WW Wilson goes too. If you get rid of Batman, Robin must go to. The end of the not so dynamic duo!!!
    completely right ....Wee Ross must also go, pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Would think so. He delayed Pellegrino to avoid admitting a mistake and it nearly cost us.

Everyone in football knew Hughes was a ****e appointment before it even happened. Harsh to survive 2 absolutely dire appointments in a row. I wanted Hughes gone, but I didn't really want Reed selecting the next manager.

Just hope that rules out any chance of us appointing another one of the anti football charlatans like Moyes or Allardyce.

46. Default

I think its the opposite actually. I think the club have realised that after three managers it is perhaps the players that are not good enough. So who did not get a replacement for VVD? Who sanctioned the Carillo deal? Who bought in the likes of Anonomousi and Vestergaard and Armstrong?
    Yes agree with the principle of what you are saying. That the major decisions taken on the footballing side have been poor decisions. It is likely the new VC/DoF (whatever title given) will have to relieve Hughes of his job, so yet another multi-million pound compensation payout.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    70 next year, you'd have to wonder how long term and how motivated he would be.
    The man is obsessed with football. He'll give a job another 5 years at least. Hardly any manager stays longer than a couple of seasons anyway.

I'd love Wenger here to get the club back on track for a few years. Ideal for him IMO. No expectations of trophies, limited budget, young players to push through. He'd want to show he can stlll do it in the premier league, and the saints fans are used to dire football and zero wins.

Yeah Milan is far bigger and nicer but they'd sack him within a year.

No. He’s been working. Interestingly trying to be less abrasive to staff.

The biggest scapegoat to leave since Eric Black.

We missed a trick by not going for Dan Ashworth, IMO.

Who the hell is going is going to pick the new guy? Ross Wilson is effectively picking his boss?

Quote Originally Posted by SOTONS EAST SIDE View Post
    WW Wilson must go too. He is as culpable as G-Reed!!
    There are two possible thoughts here...

1) Wilson is as to blame, and will be replaced.

2) Wilson has been working under difficult circumstances and has been overridden by Reed who has not listened to his advice.

Time will tell, but from the outside it's hard to know who led who up the garden path. If it's the former then I would expect him to be replaced by whoever is coming in.