Replacement for Les

Daft Kerplunk

Don't worry, Ralph has told us that the Club are following a world-class recruiting process that will ensure that we find the very best candidate to help take the club back to where it belongs. A little patience is needed.

Just like when he was appointed as Soccerball President.

The **** hit the fan when Cortese and Potch left it just took a bit of time for all their good work and club set up to be undone!

We were given a short lease of life by good recruitment through Koeman who inherited a threadbare squad after Les and Ralph cashed in but he managed to recruit well and impose a modicum of control over the Les and Ralp excesses however Puel was not strong enough and Les and Ralph were allowed to believe we could continue selling replacing well and making money!

They have been well and truly found out with a series of spectacularly bad recruits and expensive contract extensions for mediocre players they hoped to sell later For large profits!

Who would want to come in now?

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Fat Kat must be loving this. Should sold just at the right time and although she will need to cut back on a few burgers to compensate for the loss on the 20% she still holds, she is laughing all the way to the bank.

Goa still probably thinks £200m to get a foot in Britain ain't so bad after all he can sell anything not tied down, keep the parachute payments and get most of that back even if we do go down.

F

Goa still probably thinks £200m to get a foot in Britain ain't so bad after all he can sell anything not tied down, keep the parachute payments and get most of that back even if we do go down.

when he cant sell our squad of dead weights and has to pay a £120m wage bill with only a £40m parachute payment coming in he might change his mind.

when he cant sell our squad of dead weights and has to pay a £120m wage bill with only a £40m parachute payment coming in he might change his mind.

I'm sure there will be buyers for Bertrand, McCarthy, Gabbi, Gunn, Austin, but yes, that might not cover the gap. Might get 70m though

Fat Kat must be loving this. Should sold just at the right time and although she will need to cut back on a few burgers to compensate for the loss on the 20% she still holds, she is laughing all the way to the bank.

Where does this notion that to invest in Britain you need to first buy a football team come from?

Where does this notion that to invest in Britain you need to first buy a football team come from?
It's insane.

If a Chinese businessman wanted to invest £XXXXm in redeveloping, say Sheffield or Norwich or Southampton they just need to speak to the relevant local authorities and any current landowners. Yes, some schmoozing/greasing wheels probably required but thisismore to do with hiring contractors than the money men proving some commitment to the area.

Buying a football club to "get a foothold" is utterly irrelevant.

Why would anyone want Wegner? Yes he was great in the early days, but his downfall was the fact he was far to stubborn and had an awful transfer record, especially with the defence.

You only have to look at the Sanchez/Ozil/Ramsey (letting contracts run so low) farce and Arsenal’s bloated squad of average players to see that he’d be a terrible DOF.

Yes, he’s a respected figure in the game and would probably be able to attract a big name manager, but unless he’s realised where he went wrong I wouldn’t want him anywhere near our club.

The same Henry who has absolutley collapsed in his first role in management?

Difficult situation for him to be fair, they have a ton of injuries, I believe they have something like 16 or 17 first team squad members out injured at the moment and they were already losing lots before he took over so the team was low on confidence.

People seem happy to take Jardim as our manager and he had only won once for Monaco before getting sacked.

They have also basically done an us, but at a higher level, over the last two seasons they have sold Mendy, Bernardo Silva, Bakayoko, Mbappe, Lemar, Fabinho and Mountinho, and then not replaced them properly, tried to replace them more cheaply, and the decent signings they got, most are injured.

They also have off the off the field problems, the owner is being investigated for fraud I believe.

Difficult situation for him to be fair, they have a ton of injuries, I believe they have something like 16 or 17 first team squad members out injured at the moment and they were already losing lots before he took over so the team was low on confidence.

People seem happy to take Jardim as our manager and he had only won once for Monaco before getting sacked.

They have also basically done an us, but at a higher level, over the last two seasons they have sold Mendy, Bernardo Silva, Bakayoko, Mbappe, Lemar, Fabinho and Mountinho, and then not replaced them properly, tried to replace them more cheaply, and the decent signings they got, most are injured.

They also have off the off the field problems, the owner is being investigated for fraud I believe.

If Monaco are having a big fire-sale, I'd take Michael Emenalo as Technical Director in a heartbeat.

I never said it was? I said looking at the positives for him he now has a business in Britain whether we go down or not and whether the value drops, it probably doesn't really matter to him.

I never said it was? I said looking at the positives for him he now has a business in Britain whether we go down or not and whether the value drops, it probably doesn't really matter to him.

OK, I thought "foot in Britain" implied something like that. No worries.

Not sure why the business declining in value massively wouldn't matter to him though.

This has gone very quiet in terms of recruitment - Do we think 6 weeks from Les sacking to new man in position is a reasonable timing

Whether he is here or not seems to make little difference apart from reducing the wage bill. I guess it's only when we're recruiting new players and staff that we'll notice any difference. But as his appointee, Ross Wilson, appears to have stepped into his shoes, things will probably continue much as they were. I guess we all hoped that they had someone new in mind ready to replace him and that person would have chosen our next manager and overseen player recruitment in January. It's still not too late for that to happen but there doesn't appear to havebeen much long term planning going on at the club in recent times. The club has been more reactive than proactive.

SSN: Les Reed on a 4 man shortlist for Technical Director of the FA.

History repeating.

Take over while upward momentum > momentum continues for short period and Leslie takes full credit for world cup 2018 success > Leslie ruins things > downward momentum > sacked

SSN: Les Reed on a 4 man shortlist for Technical Director of the FA.

Final 4 is down to:

- Les Reed

- Kevin Thelwell (Wolves Sporting Director)

- Mark Warburton

- Matt Crocker (Ex-Saint)

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11566856/ex-southampton-vice-chairman-les-reed-among-final-four-for-new-fa-technical-director

Final 4 is down to:

- Les Reed

- Kevin Thelwell (Wolves Sporting Director)

- Mark Warburton

- Matt Crocker (Ex-Saint)

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11566856/ex-southampton-vice-chairman-les-reed-among-final-four-for-new-fa-technical-director

Crocker was more responsible for the Saints academy graduates like Shaw, Lallana etc. than Les (who oversaw the lowering of the level of the academy) so he’s a better shout for the job.

This is taking a while then.

Maybe we're going to go after one of those who don't get the FA role?

Including Les Read again? After paying him a handsome sacking fee to re-employ him on an increased salary. Nothing would surprise me from our incompetent owner.

My guess is that they are struggling to attract someone mid-season. I can't imagine that many DoFs are keen to move mid-season with January coming up, so our pool of choices will be severely limited. The two names- Webber from Norwich and Mitchell from Leipzig- are likely on our shortlist but it will be extremely challenging to attract them with the threat of relegation looming.

My view is that we were too hasty in sacking Reed- Kruger threw him under the bus to save himself- when it was obvious to anyone watching that we would have some key football decisions coming up. A failing manager, and clear gaps in the team which would need addressing in January. Reed may not have been trusted to make a good appointment to replace Hughes, but better that he makes some recommendations for everyone else to agree to, rather than Kruger or Gao making the decision in a vacuum of little football knowledge.

So what will happen now? I reckon they'll shuffle the chess pieces now, with Wilson and possibly Kelvin taking on more responsibilities. Then, in the summer, they'll appoint an overlord. Who that is depends on what division we are in.

My guess is that they are struggling to attract someone mid-season. I can't imagine that many DoFs are keen to move mid-season with January coming up, so our pool of choices will be severely limited. The two names- Webber from Norwich and Mitchell from Leipzig- are likely on our shortlist but it will be extremely challenging to attract them with the threat of relegation looming.

My view is that we were too hasty in sacking Reed- Kruger threw him under the bus to save himself- when it was obvious to anyone watching that we would have some key football decisions coming up. A failing manager, and clear gaps in the team which would need addressing in January. Reed may not have been trusted to make a good appointment to replace Hughes, but better that he makes some recommendations for everyone else to agree to, rather than Kruger or Gao making the decision in a vacuum of little football knowledge.

So what will happen now? I reckon they'll shuffle the chess pieces now, with Wilson and possibly Kelvin taking on more responsibilities. Then, in the summer, they'll appoint an overlord. Who that is depends on what division we are in.

What!?!?!?

We were too fecking slow in sacking Reed. Jesus.

Sunday Mirror suggests Steve Round... https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-paper-talk

leak

Villa fan reaction to his sacking (not that it means much) https://www.villatalk.com/topic/15480-steve-round/?page=15

Would be quite 'Saints' of us to dither on sacking Les, miss out on Dan Ashworth, leak Paul Mitchell's name to the press & end up with Steve Round.