Les Reed Appreciation thread

OttawaSaint

We all recognize that the last 2.5 years of his tenure have been poor but let's not forget all the good work he did prior to that.

He was at the helm for one of the most successful periods in our history.

Can we use this thread to just say "thank you for all the good you did at our club, much appreciated" and leave the negative stuff to the other thread(s)?

Gotta thank him for the good times, of which there were many, promotions, Wembley semis and finals, Europe. He had time to try to stop the decline but unfortunately was unable to do so, therefore the right decision was made today.

I wish him no ill and all the best for the future.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Indeed. Easy to focus on the current plight, but was heavily involved in our rise which was my absolute favourite time in supporting Saints.
No he was not. Why do people keep saying this?

The spine of the team, and the players that actually played for us once we got back to the PL, were already at the club before he joined (And he eventually sold them all)

Most of the players he signed in the Championship were gone by the start of the 2013/14 season because they were not good enough.

We had a core group of players that went on to play at the highest levels. Champions league, world cups, European championships etc. Promotion was inevitable.

The spine of the team, and the players that actually played for us once we got back to the PL, were already at the club before he joined (And he eventually sold them all)

Most of the players he signed in the Championship were gone by the start of the 2013/14 season because they were not good enough.

We had a core group of players that went on to play at the highest levels. Champions league, world cups, European championships etc. Promotion was inevitable.

Pony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Classic ego getting out of control. Good riddance. Let’s face it, Koeman found Pelle and Tadic. Not rocket science to work out Toby and VVD were good.

Only credit he can have is Mane.

Now get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong thread mate.

#mess

Classic ego getting out of control. Good riddance. Let’s face it, Koeman found Pelle and Tadic. Not rocket science to work out Toby and VVD were good.

Only credit he can have is Mane.

Now get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weirdos on here. No doubt les is appreciating himself anyway.

He was quite frankly terrible with the exception of Koeman. Ask Guan see if he can give you any snippets.

I think Mane was a Paul Mitchell find anyway.

I'd go along with the recognition of Les's contribution in his early days.

Unfortunatley it started going downhill 2014/15 with the Alderweirald fiasco, as much as anything the media circus surrounding it, and afterwards.

I think Mane was a Paul Mitchell find anyway.

Credit where it's due though, wasn't Mitchell a Les appointment?

Some of the comments on here are laughable. I think Les did more good than bad for our club and I thank him for that. Ok the last 2 years haven't been the best but the first 6 years were amazing! 4 consecutive top 8 finishes, a Wembley cup final and semi final and European football. I do think the time was right for a change and I wish him all the best.

Deathly silent during our decline

An utter coward

Killed probably our best ever chance of competing in the Premier league and Europe

Cost us millions with **** poor decisions, appointments and signings

Set us up nicely for relegation

Killed fans enthusiasm and hope.

Sold all our good players

Sold 7 to Liverpool

All that (and more) and our "fans" start an "appreciation" thread :lol:

Some of our fans are pathetically weak and if we are going to ever fully recover from this Les Reed nightmare we don't need "fans" like that.

A beautiful day for all real Saints fans.

Good riddance Les

giphy.gif

We had some good times under him and I thank him for that. I think things just went stale like they did at Aston Villa, Swansea, Stoke and West Brom. That is modern football. you get good players and managers and other people want them and they want the money.

I wish him well. Things are unlikely to be fixed just like that.

It feels like small part of Southampton FC died today. The remaining element of our incredible journey from League one to Europe packs his bags and says adios. He has been the fulcrum of all things football in his time here giving this club some of the greatest times in our history. It's a sad day and with all disasters I have done the only thing to do at this time and change my facebook profile picture to show my support of Les.

And today's "The Sky Isn't Blue" award goes to....

Reed was a disaster.

-He hung off the coat-tails of the energy, freshness and momentum that Markus and Cortese brought to the club and took credit with smug photo opportunities at every occasion that presented itself when it went well

-He sold off the family silver to his favourite club

-He got rid of our best manager in decades largely through jealously

-He went into hiding when everything went tittus verticus

-He blew deal after deal, transfer after transfer, most memorable being Toby and Forster's last deal

-He bought utter crap like Boufal, Gashton, Carillo, etc.

Good f**king riddance. Hope his arse didnt scratch the paintwork on the door on the way out. F**k him.

It feels like small part of Southampton FC died today. The remaining element of our incredible journey from League one to Europe packs his bags and says adios. He has been the fulcrum of all things football in his time here giving this club some of the greatest times in our history. It's a sad day and with all disasters I have done the only thing to do at this time and change my facebook profile picture to show my support of Les.

Thanks Les! Booked your retirement party yet? Did you know Les that 94% polled don't like you and are pleased that you have FINALLY been sacked? Now you don't need to go on Saints forums anymore, praising yourself

Spot on. The revisionism is bizzare from so many.

Once he got his sweaty paws on the steering wheel he utterly dismantled Cortese legacy over 3 windows...

Lets not forget that first summer.... "Nobody will be sold", season ticket renewals close..... Lambert sold, lallana sold, lovren sold, shaw sold, chambers sold... etc etc etc... all of which only stopped when the fans turned on the club over the chambers transfer of all of them... Negative PR over almost every departure, lying to the fans... Got rid of Poch, the scouting set up and the rest of that team all in quick succession.

but still - "Praise be to the almighty Les Reed" - after all, don't forget he single handedly kept Kelvin at the club and signed Lambert, Fonte, Hammond, puncheon et al.... oh wait.... :mcinnes:

And back to what the thread is about.....some seem to have a problem in comprehending a simple theme or have far too big an agenda to cope?

Thanks Les, a lot of what you did laid the foundations and supported the successes we had over the last few years and I'm grateful and happy to have benefitted from it as a supporter.

I wish you well in whatever role you take up in the future, enjoy!

I’m still having a difficult time getting past the most recent 2-3 years worth of damaging foul ups to appreciate the good things that he may have had a hand in during the successful years. Good luck to Les for the future, but he’s leaving with a tainted legacy.

you have summed it up perfectly.

We all recognize that the last 2.5 years of his tenure have been poor but let's not forget all the good work he did prior to that.

He was at the helm for one of the most successful periods in our history.

Can we use this thread to just say "thank you for all the good you did at our club, much appreciated" and leave the negative stuff to the other thread(s)?

Lol yeah this thread was always going to end well...

He was part of the team that helped to bring us back from the depths of administration, so for that he deserves thanks. We have had some great times over the past 8 years and if he was truly a passenger then he'd have been booted out a long time ago IMO.

Be interesting to see what sort of plan we have now.

Thanks Les! Booked your retirement party yet? Did you know Les that 94% polled don't like you and are pleased that you have FINALLY been sacked? Now you don't need to go on Saints forums anymore, praising yourself

One bonus is we can have less of your mouth frothing posts now...... :lol:

Rumours Les might return as assistant manager on a voluntary basis at Bishop's Stortford in the Isthmian Premier Division

Probably his level so good luck Les.

Game’s moved on since 2010. Might be difficult to pick up where he left off. Good luck Les.

Whilst the last 2-3 years have been bad and it was certainly the right time for a change, I can certainly recognise and appreciate the good things Les did in his time here. Nothing is ever black or white but it's a fact he oversaw one of the most successful periods in our history which takes a lot more than luck, whilst at the same time trying to balance the books for the owner.

I'm glad he's gone but no ill wishes from me.

He didn’t take over from Cortese

Are people really that dense that they don’t know what job Cortese did?

Are you that dense that you believe Leslie didn't take over a lot of the decisions Cortese made once he left ?

He was part of the team that helped to bring us back from the depths of administration, so for that he deserves thanks. We have had some great times over the past 8 years and if he was truly a passenger then he'd have been booted out a long time ago IMO.

Be interesting to see what sort of plan we have now.

Following all his negative PR spin and personality assassinations that he sanctioned... why should he then get a better send off. They did more for this club than he ever did.

As has already been said, it was time for a change, but nobody lasts 8 years unless they have made contributions to the club. Thank you Les and good luck for the future.

The one other positive thing coming out of this news is that Glasgow can now close his "Les out" thread and stop posting on this topic on every other thread.

As has already been said, it was time for a change, but nobody lasts 8 years unless they have made contributions to the club. Thank you Les and good luck for the future.

The one other positive thing coming out of this news is that Glasgow can now close his "Les out" thread and stop posting on this topic on every other thread.

If only...

Thanks Les for the last 2.5 years. You finally allowed Freddie K the blind t9sser to see what a truly pathetic t9urd that you are. Thanks to Martin Hunter for his constant fancy dress costume as a disheveled school janitor, most impressive. Thanks to all the Les Reed Psychopants for their drooling, kept the plants alive. Well done. Sparky, drop Hoedt the one legged, Long the Irish pub singer and runaround redmond. While you are at it, tackle Prowse in training and give him a good old fashioned ACL. A good week.

Wouldn't blame Les for the player sales. If players want to leave for double wages and Champions League prospects, you can't realistically keep them.

What do you do if they sulk? Drop them from the squad so that they sit around as their contracts run down and they leave on a free?

Where he is culpable is the manager situation. Puel was handed a raw deal as we had lost Mane, Pelle and Wanyama and all he had to replace them was Redmond. Pellegrino should have gone earlier and we'll see if Hughes can get any improvement now Les has gone. I think that they'll give him until Xmas theif things are no better they'll bring in someone else who we can all moan about.

Thanks Les for the last 2.5 years. You finally allowed Freddie K the blind t9sser to see what a truly pathetic t9urd that you are. Thanks to Martin Hunter for his constant fancy dress costume as a disheveled school janitor, most impressive. Thanks to all the Les Reed Psychopants for their drooling, kept the plants alive. Well done. Sparky, drop Hoedt the one legged, Long the Irish pub singer and runaround redmond. While you are at it, tackle Prowse in training and give him a good old fashioned ACL. A good week.

I hope you get the obvious help you need.

• 11 months later...