Saints 1 Watford 1 - Match & Reactions

ALWAYS_SFC

JWP initially had loads of space but booted it anywhere, got no elevation and the deflection set up Cholevas with Cedric blocking like a frightened pussy turned his back and deflected past McCarthy. Against Brighton JWP pushed Duffy in the 92nd minute in front of the referee. He is the liability. If Hughes was at fault it was having JWP on and Romeu not in the squad.

the referee saw the penalty shout and didn't give it. The referee gave the goal when he was in an ideal position but new to the Premier this season let the linesman, poorly positioned and further away help him to disallow a good goal.

I'm not a fan of Mark Hughes but he came in when we were as good as down and helped to keep us up against all the odds. He deserves a fair go. Without the referee and JWP we would be four points better off and feeling a bit better about things.

JWP is still with us for a reason, he isn't good enough. Armstrong looks better than Elyanoussi and taking him off for JWP was crass. There are no circumstances where I can see a place for JWP. Hojbjerg gave the ball away or was caught in possession far too often. Lemina is a good player but he is not solid enough to play with Hojbjerg as a middle two and both wander off leaving a big hole in front of the back four. The central defenders were left exposed far too often. Hoedt and Yoshida were decent enough.

We are in a worrying position and Hughes has to get the team right. The team has to be tighter in midfield and get the ball to the forwards quickly. A lot of the time we are too methodical and slow. When the forwards make runs we should be getting the ball up to them rather than recycling backwards.

Good post.

We will no doubt cry about the disallowed goal

But what about the blatant penalty and red card??

What about the blatant handball in the lead up to the penalty shout? You can pick and choose moments as much as you like but the simple fact is we have had a perfectly good goal ruled out for absolutely no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP initially had loads of space but booted it anywhere, got no elevation and the deflection set up Cholevas with Cedric blocking like a frightened pussy turned his back and deflected past McCarthy. Against Brighton JWP pushed Duffy in the 92nd minute in front of the referee. He is the liability. If Hughes was at fault it was having JWP on and Romeu not in the squad.

the referee saw the penalty shout and didn't give it. The referee gave the goal when he was in an ideal position but new to the Premier this season let the linesman, poorly positioned and further away help him to disallow a good goal.

I'm not a fan of Mark Hughes but he came in when we were as good as down and helped to keep us up against all the odds. He deserves a fair go. Without the referee and JWP we would be four points better off and feeling a bit better about things.

JWP is still with us for a reason, he isn't good enough. Armstrong looks better than Elyanoussi and taking him off for JWP was crass. There are no circumstances where I can see a place for JWP. Hojbjerg gave the ball away or was caught in possession far too often. Lemina is a good player but he is not solid enough to play with Hojbjerg as a middle two and both wander off leaving a big hole in front of the back four. The central defenders were left exposed far too often. Hoedt and Yoshida were decent enough.

We are in a worrying position and Hughes has to get the team right. The team has to be tighter in midfield and get the ball to the forwards quickly. A lot of the time we are too methodical and slow. When the forwards make runs we should be getting the ball up to them rather than recycling backwards.

Yes. Gordon Strachan commented about how frequently the ball was lost by Saints in the middle of the park. Makes the team nervous.

Remaining 2018 fixtures coming up ..... Fulham(a) D, Man U(h) L, Spurs(a) L, Cardiff(a) D, Arse(h) L, Udders(a) D, Spam(h) D, Citeh(h) L

On current form 4 points from that lot doesn't sound unreasonable giving us 12 points from 20 games played.

We'd have one foot in the grave by 1-Jan-2019. Even 17th would be tricky to get from that position.

Are you awake Gao? Do you care? Do you have a clue what you are doing? Wake up!!!! Your investment is going up in smoke.

If we're still where we are at the New Year, get rid of Hughes. But we're not going to turn it around under him. I don't know what exactly is wrong, whether the players' fitness regime under him isn't good enough, whether he isn't capable of inspiring his players, or whether he is naive tactically. Maybe all three. With Cardiff and Newcastle winning at home, and Huddersfield picking up a point too, the trapdoor is opening under our feet. One of the few positives is that Gabbiadini had a good game and needs a run now to get in the groove. Hopefully the Ings injury isn't too serious, as he will be a big loss. As usual we still aren't sure of what our best defence is, change it constantly and then wonder why it is brittle. God knows when or if we will see Bednarek or Vestergaard again and whatever became of Romeu? Watford bring on their bulk and muscle and have their chins up having equalised, but it was coming from the time Hughes took off Armstrong and didn't replace him with either some muscle in midfield, or in the heart of the defence.

Watford on balance were the better team overall, and it looked as if they had a decent shout for a penalty. We appeared to have scored a perfectly valid second goal, but 10 minutes later the linesman put up his flag and it was disallowed. It suggests that the officials might have had a mare. I hadn't heard of this ref before and can only assume we got him from some pub league. Please can we have VAR to assist their feeble brains and failing eyesight?

I suppose that we should be grateful that with the head of steam that Watford had in the last 20 minutes, that they didn't score a winner off Decoure's arm.

The Club are advertising half season tickets for sale. I'm not sure whether there are many masochists out there who are prepared to lay out their hard earned dosh to watch this dross and to walk away from the stadium each home match without having witnessed any wins all season.

Remaining 2018 fixtures coming up ..... Fulham(a) D, Man U(h) L, Spurs(a) L, Cardiff(a) D, Arse(h) L, Udders(a) D, Spam(h) D, Citeh(h) L

On current form 4 points from that lot doesn't sound unreasonable giving us 12 points from 20 games played.

We'd have one foot in the grave by 1-Jan-2019. Even 17th would be tricky to get from that position.

Are you awake Gao? Do you care? Do you have a clue what you are doing? Wake up!!!! Your investment is going up in smoke.

And those home fixtures show that it’s likeky we’ll finish 2018 with ONE home league win. ONE!

Yes, a few of us. Can’t tackle, can’t score, doesn’t assist, can’t defend, slow. Utter joke.

Northampton’s prodigal son, Mosin, who claims he’s French North African on account of the fact that he can barely read or write, will soon be here to put you right.

Northampton’s prodigal son, Mosin, who claims he’s French North African on account of the fact that he can barely read or write, will soon be here to put you right.

Well he can go **** himself.

Our corners were pretty decent until dead ball expert Jamsie boy trotted on...

Most unlikable Saints team in history. I bet they’ll be swaggering about the nightclubs acting like billy big balls football stars tonight. Get shot of the lot of them. Disgrace to the club.

Not sure about that. The class of 07/08 were pretty dismal.

Players gave 100%for Hughes and the shirt Simple fact is we are not good enough to win a game of football at this level ...now do we blame Hughes ? Or is it the fact that we have just got a piis poor squad of average players? Thought Armstrong Gabbi and Yoshida played well .

Armstrong missed ANOTHER great chance though !

Two teams playing absolutely ****, outdone only by the monumentally incompetent officials.

Austin no doubt has a fine and a ban heading his way, even with everything he’s saying being spot on. Probably worth it nonetheless just to shine a bit of a light on it.

At least when we eventually do turn it around and start improving again it’ll look bloody amazing in comparison.

Can't pin that one on the ref too much. Yes, if the goal had been allowed we'd likely have won, but the fact we're fighting over such fine margins shows what a mess we are at the moment. Watford were on the receiving end of some shocking decisions too.

Positives:

Gabbi - Industrious. Looked game for it and put in a shift.

Austin - Looked REALLY bothered at the end. Shows he cares.

Hoedt - Cruyf turn went down well with my kids!

Yoshi - Good to see him back, though a couple of rickets.

Lemina looked fired up again.

Didn't get beat.

Negatives:

Cedric's defending.

Redmond back to being ineffective and moaning again.

Ings' injury.

Hojbjerg's play-acting and sloppy performance.

Conceding from a 1 goal lead AGAIN.

A draw won't be enough to move Hughes on, and that bugs me because long term he is absolutely not the man for this job. They won't sack him off the back of that, though. They'll blame the officials, but Watford should have had a pen (and would have scored it) and could have gone on to win the game. They also had a lot of poor decisions and generally we were the ones 'cheating' most of the time.

Success looks decent. Could use someone like him!

Giving Austin a positive for caring?

**** me. He was dire. Complete passenger.

Can't be bothered to talk much about the match. Same as usual.

So here are some ratings:

McCarthy - 7

Cedric - 6

Hoedt - 6

Yoshida - 7

Bertrand - 6

Hojbjerg - 6

Lemina - 8

Armstrong - 7

Redmond - 7

Gabbi - 8 (man of the match)

Ings - 7

Austin - 5

JWP - 5

Obafemi - insufficient minutes

Giving Austin a positive for caring?

**** me. He was dire. Complete passenger.

Agreed, it's like playing with 10 men most of the time. Hughes should have had the balls to put O'Bafemi on, or failing that Elmo and push Gabbi up front. Austin just took all pressure off them second half and it happens every time he's on the pitch.

To be fair he scored a goal that should never have been disallowed.

That was literally the only contribution he made and that was a mis-hit shot that ballooned off his standing foot. We were much better when Ings was on.

Austin wouldn't get a game in a top Championship side.

Anyone giving Hojbjerg more than a 3 must not have been at the game, he was absolutely ****ing dreadful. Other than, we were pretty good I thought, Gabbi was absolutely brilliant, but no luck and poor officiating, same old.

Hojbjerg did give the ball away a lot today but he's one of the only players with a decent mentality and I think we do need his fight.

Look how many of our players were on their knees, head in hands when Watford scored. It's pathetic. There was plenty of time to get the winner but they just send Watford the message that the game is now theirs for the taking.

We've managed to assemble a right group of fannies.

The big positive from today, he was everywhere. Hope isn't just playing for a move.

Yeah, he was excellent. Clinical finish, good outlet, great first touch and hold-up, carried it forward with purpose and "won" some fouls to relieve the pressure.

We need to give him a run in that role. Just a shame if Ings is now injured as in the first half some of our link up play was actually pretty decent.

So, trying the impossible - to take the emotion out and just focus on the result - I said to myself before the game nothing less than a win and 3 points from this game would be enough to keep Hughes in a job.

Unbelievably, it will not be so you can put money on it. Hughes implying he was not being given decision on players with Les in place (may be true)...still this would have been the game to prove it on the pitch without Reeds influence.

Yes, we were robbed of a perfectly good goal...and it had an incredibly deflating impact after such a long delay...but the reality was we looked unfit (does anyone else see we don't work hard to make the easy pass for the man on the ball? - basic stuff)...gave the ball away way too often...made poor tactical substitutions IMO and were second best for most of the second half.

Turning point for me...Watford bring on a true leader in Deeny...we lose Ings and sub him with Austin instead of Obafemi. Huge advantage Watford.

Thought we deserved the lead at half time, but in truth Watford outplayed us in second half. Felt like we were clinging on for ages, and just invited them on to us.

Positives for me were the whole back four plus Alex, Lemina and Gabby. Personally didn’t feel impressed by Armstrong unlike some on here.

We need 12 points from these seven games coming up, doesn’t look likely

Anyone giving Hojbjerg more than a 3 must not have been at the game, he was absolutely ****ing dreadful. Other than, we were pretty good I thought, Gabbi was absolutely brilliant, but no luck and poor officiating, same old.

Agree Hoj was garbage. People talk about his mentality but he does seem to lose his cool quite a bit, leading to more mistakes.

Anyone know when Austin scored and was celebrating the goal before he found out it was disallowed, who he was having a go at on the sidelines??? it looked like he wasn't too happy with someone in the crowd or maybe it was just the home fans in general after all the stick there've given him recently

I quite liked Rasiak, Ostland and Lallana.

Lallana didn't really break through until the following year. I suppose I did like J-hon. But Chris Makin, Christian Dailly, Youseff Safri, Jason Euell. A team of journeymen. At least with this team there are some youngsters with a bit of hope. It's just being dreadfully managed.

Edited by Colinjb

Players who I thought performed well...

McCarthy - Blameless except for that one moment with Hoedt in the second half when he should have come out. Made some good stops. Stood no chance on the deflected goal.

Lemina - Tenacious and skilled in midfield. Let down badly by his midfield partner today.

Ings - Linked up well, good tackling in the box set up Gabbiadini’s goal. It was a blow when he had to come off,

Gabbiadini- If Hughes drops him again I will post “is he gone yet” in the Hughes Out thread every day until he’s gone. Gabbiadini has the skills and positional awareness to link up with the other players, and he can score goals. Might be about to start a goal scoring streak. Stranger things have happened. Easily better than Long and Austin.

Redmond - had good moments, robbed of an excellent assist for the Austin “goal”

Hoedt and Yoshi - both had decent games. Hoedt looked assured and even skillful with the ball at his feet.

Players who I thought performed poorly...

Cedric and Bertrand...Bertrand looks out of sorts. Lucky not to concede a penalty and second yellow for that tackle on Chalaboa. Cedric was poor defensively, and turned his back on the Palace goal that he deflected past McCarthy.

Hoj - Sometimes he’s played well this season. Sometimes he’s played poorly. He was awful in the middle of the park today and was responsible for a number of giveaways. We look light enough in midfield as it is without Hoj spending much of the game laying the proverbial egg.

Austin - robbed for the goal but he’s slow and out of position far too often.

Of the others, Armstrong was alright, I suppose. JWP was culpable for not clearing before the Palace goal. Obafemi wasn’t on for long but I’d rather see him start ahead of Austin or Long.

Most unlikable Saints team in history. I bet they’ll be swaggering about the nightclubs acting like billy big balls football stars tonight. Get shot of the lot of them. Disgrace to the club.

Load **** comments like this don’t help we are all frustrated but I look at Austin’s reaction good to see

Players who I thought performed well...

McCarthy - Blameless except for that one moment with Hoedt in the second half when he should have come out. Made some good stops. Stood no chance on the deflected goal.

Lemina - Tenacious and skilled in midfield. Let down badly by his midfield partner today.

Ings - Linked up well, good tackling in the box set up Gabbiadini’s goal. It was a blow when he had to come off,

Gabbiadini- If Hughes drops him again I will post “is he gone yet” in the Hughes Out thread every day until he’s gone. Gabbiadini has the skills and positional awareness to link up with the other players, and he can score goals. Might be about to start a goal scoring streak. Stranger things have happened. Easily better than Long and Austin.

Redmond - had good moments, robbed of an excellent assist for the Austin “goal”

Hoedt and Yoshi - both had decent games. Hoedt looked assured and even skillful with the ball at his feet.

Players who I thought performed poorly...

Cedric and Bertrand...Bertrand looks out of sorts. Lucky not to concede a penalty and second yellow for that tackle on Chalaboa. Cedric was poor defensively, and turned his back on the Palace goal that he deflected past McCarthy.

Hoj - Sometimes he’s played well this season. Sometimes he’s played poorly. He was awful in the middle of the park today and was responsible for a number of giveaways. We look light enough in midfield as it is without Hoj spending much of the game laying the proverbial egg.

Austin - robbed for the goal but he’s slow and out of position far too often.

Of the others, Armstrong was alright, I suppose. JWP was culpable for not clearing before the Palace goal. Obafemi wasn’t on for long but I’d rather see him start ahead of Austin or Long.

Palace? Apart from that, fair assessment :)