Saints 1 Watford 1 - Match & Reactions

ALWAYS_SFC

We can bang on about the disallowed goal but our overall performance was awful. Needlessly inviting pressure on and allowing them to dominate possession. Total lack of leadership out on the pitch.

Spot on - we just let them at us, complete lack of mental strength

Hughes has to go

Spot on - we just let them at us, complete lack of mental strength

Hughes has to go

has to be fitness. Didnt someone here say that a mother of a player said training here was a holiday camp compared to where he has just come from (obviously, Ings)

Can't pin that one on the ref too much. Yes, if the goal had been allowed we'd likely have won, but the fact we're fighting over such fine margins shows what a mess we are at the moment. Watford were on the receiving end of some shocking decisions too.

Positives:

Gabbi - Industrious. Looked game for it and put in a shift.

Austin - Looked REALLY bothered at the end. Shows he cares.

Hoedt - Cruyf turn went down well with my kids!

Yoshi - Good to see him back, though a couple of rickets.

Lemina looked fired up again.

Didn't get beat.

Negatives:

Cedric's defending.

Redmond back to being ineffective and moaning again.

Ings' injury.

Hojbjerg's play-acting and sloppy performance.

Conceding from a 1 goal lead AGAIN.

A draw won't be enough to move Hughes on, and that bugs me because long term he is absolutely not the man for this job. They won't sack him off the back of that, though. They'll blame the officials, but Watford should have had a pen (and would have scored it) and could have gone on to win the game. They also had a lot of poor decisions and generally we were the ones 'cheating' most of the time.

Success looks decent. Could use someone like him!

has to be fitness. Didnt someone here say that a mother of a player said training here was a holiday camp compared to where he has just come from (obviously, Ings)

We know fitness levels declined once Pellegrino came in, but when Hughes came in and judging by the words he said on his arrival, I expected there to be more intensity in training. I don't know if it's simply down to Pellegrino's training methods totally destroying the fitness levels and us needing time to get them back up again, or if more needs to be done at the moment

Austin saying how it is

He was told by the officials that Yoshida touched the ball....:lol:

"supposedly the best league in the world and that was a joke. The officials cost us really"

"bring VAR in as clearly the officials need it as that was a joke"

Wow. That is absolutely terrible. Yoshi was actually getting out of the way. Awful decision.

Overall a draw was a fair result.

The ref was awful. Got most things wrong. Didn't he even book the wrong person in that Redmond incident?

Obviously they should have had a penalty. If they would of scored, who knows. But to not allow our second was disgusting. Both teams are right to have a go at the ref for that performance. Shocking.

That said you have to say McCarthy was excellent. He seemed to be the far busier keeper. A few communication issues but overall very good. Especially that save near the start. If he messed that up it could of turned into a rout.

Gabbi seemed very good today too. Was all over the place and involved with most of our chances. Hoj and Cedric didn't have the best of games.

I think with 30mins or so to go we were under huge pressure and struggled to get out of our half. Maybe nerves were creeping in. But the changes Hughes made and lack of tactical changes could have cost us. JWP imo shouldn't have come on. He has been making so many costly mistakes this season that we needed someone in there to help get the ball up the pitch. Sadly again JWP made a huge mistake which cost us. That is three in three games now. He can't do it at this level and to try and keep forcing it isn't the right way to go.

It sucks we didn't get the win but we played some good attacking football in the first half. Much better than we have in recent games. But there were so many mistakes and if we made them against another team we would probably have been punished. Second half we just faded and seemed knackered. That is why I think we needed someone like Mo instead of JWP to try and get the ball upfield by running with it or running into spaces. I don't think Hughes made the right decisions tactically in that period and didn't help reduce the pressure.

For me this isn't really the game to judge Hughes on. It is all the games prior to it. He is just seriously out of date and playing a style that is better suited to the championship or lower divisions. With the international break this is the right time to sack him. Hardly any of our team are away so whoever came in would have time to get to know most of the players before the Fulham game.

Hanging on for a point against Watford says it all. We were terrible for much of that match. Team has absolutely no confidence. If we stay with Hughes I can’t see anything changing. Sack and replace may not make any difference. But nothing to lose. If Ings injury is bad we are screwed.

Club is a shambles.

Get rid of the useless Welsh idiot and his cronies NOW! It'll be too late otherwise. This team will possibly go down anyway, but with him in charge it will definitely go down. 3 wins in 20 matches. 16 points from 20 games. Hughes is a fraud.

Suppose I'm the only one who thought that was a lot better than we've played all season.

First half was decent - Watford had chances but we played some good stuff and looked up for it - pressed and passed well. The trouble is, we can't sustain it. Whether it's mentality or fitness or combination of both.

Thought Hoedt and Yoshida played well though. Think our fragility comes from the midfield, Hojbjerg is industrious but a little sloppy at times, but the main problem is our third midfielder - in this case Armstrong or JWP just don't look up to it. You need a third battler or, preferably, someone who is good on the ball and makes the team tick (at least in an attacking sense). We didn't have either today, and Hojbjerg was a bit off, so it's no wonder the defence had to deal with a lot.

Cedric can p1ss off with his hiding-hands-back-turning routine though.

Draw was what we deserved IMO. Officials obviously horrendous, but for both teams.

Hughes got all the subs wrong and it cost us.

1. Austin is busted at PL level. Obviously he 'scored' but also became extremely isolated as his movement is awful. Shouldn't have come on that early IMO. Could have shifted Gabbi up front and added Elyounoussi or JWP.

(Gabbi had a good allround game, as did Hoedt and Lemina for me).

2. JWP is a terrible sub and at that stage we needed Obafemi or Moi to keep a bit of pressure on them. Instead we gifted them momentum and allowed them to pin us back...

3. Obafemi should have come on as soon as they scored.

We are ****e, clueless in the boardroom and on the pitch.

We don’t really show any signs of improvement. Games go one of 3 ways

1) We concede first and it’s game over (haven’t come back from a deficit in the league this season)

2) We score first and then it’s panic stations and we either lose or draw (only exception required a bad miss by Benteke in last minute)

3) We play against a team who don’t even seem interested, miss a few chances and it’s 0-0

Utterly depressing.

JWP initially had loads of space but booted it anywhere, got no elevation and the deflection set up Cholevas with Cedric blocking like a frightened pussy turned his back and deflected past McCarthy. Against Brighton JWP pushed Duffy in the 92nd minute in front of the referee. He is the liability. If Hughes was at fault it was having JWP on and Romeu not in the squad.

the referee saw the penalty shout and didn't give it. The referee gave the goal when he was in an ideal position but new to the Premier this season let the linesman, poorly positioned and further away help him to disallow a good goal.

I'm not a fan of Mark Hughes but he came in when we were as good as down and helped to keep us up against all the odds. He deserves a fair go. Without the referee and JWP we would be four points better off and feeling a bit better about things.

JWP is still with us for a reason, he isn't good enough. Armstrong looks better than Elyanoussi and taking him off for JWP was crass. There are no circumstances where I can see a place for JWP. Hojbjerg gave the ball away or was caught in possession far too often. Lemina is a good player but he is not solid enough to play with Hojbjerg as a middle two and both wander off leaving a big hole in front of the back four. The central defenders were left exposed far too often. Hoedt and Yoshida were decent enough.

We are in a worrying position and Hughes has to get the team right. The team has to be tighter in midfield and get the ball to the forwards quickly. A lot of the time we are too methodical and slow. When the forwards make runs we should be getting the ball up to them rather than recycling backwards.