Super Clasicò: Boca vs River Plate

Monk

went to El Classico last year at Camp Nou. I think it ended up 3-2 to Barca but the whole experience was like wow! Totally exceeded expectations, sat behind the Ultras (and their annoying view obstructing flags!) and as well as the Catalonian nationalist atmosphere it was one of the best experiences i have had, not cheap though!

Really wish i had been to the Tehran derby between Persepolis and Estaghlal when i was there back in 99, that is supposed to be pretty tasty.

First leg live this evening on BT Sport, always wanted to tick Boca off my bucket list.

Anyone ever been or experienced other fierce derbies?

I've been to a Boca game at La Bombonera but not v River. I have been to other South American derby games including Botafogo v Fluminense at the Maracana and El Superclásico in Chile as well as several Copa Libertadores games.

The atmosphere at La Bombonera, even for an ordinary league game, is more passionate than anything you find in Europe. But, away fans are placed in a small section very high up so they have little impact and nowadays away fans are totally banned from Boca v River games.

I also used to go to quite a few derby games in this country in the 70s and 80s, including the Manchester derby when fighting spilled onto the pitch at Maine Road and several London ones.

The fiercest I witnessed was the Chilean Superclásico, which has resulted in several deaths over the years.

I'd recommend a game at La Bombonera. Buenos Aires is a great city to visit anyway and the Boca district is colourful. The stadium is incredibly steep sided. So much so, that if you are high up, as I was, you feel like you are going to topple down onto the pitch if you lean forward. There are thousands of flags waving, spectacular firework displays from the ultras and constant loud singing and chanting.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to a Boca game at La Bombonera but not v River. I have been to other South American derby games including Botafogo v Fluminense at the Maracana and El Superclásico in Chile as well as several Copa Libertadores games.

The atmosphere at La Bombonera, even for an ordinary league game, is more passionate than anything you find in Europe. But, away fans are placed in a small section very high up so they have little impact and nowadays away fans are totally banned from Boca v River games.

I also used to go to quite a few derby games in this country in the 70s and 80s, including the Manchester derby when fighting spilled onto the pitch at Maine Road and several London ones.

The fiercest I witnessed was the Chilean Superclásico, which has resulted in several deaths over the years.

I'd recommend a game at La Bombonera. Buenos Aires is a great city to visit anyway and the Boca district is colourful. The stadium is incredibly steep sided. So much so, that if you are high up, as I was, you feel like you are going to topple down onto the pitch if you lean forward. There are thousands of flags waving, spectacular firework displays from the ultras and constant loud singing and chanting.

See I went to Estadio Monumental to watch River v Rosario back in 2010 I think and it was ****ing boring, atmosphere was decent at the start but 90 mins of players rolling around and no goals made it a dull experience.

• 2 weeks later...