Under Armour Sponsoring Trophy Hunting

scousesaint84

Am i the only person who believes that we should be putting pressure on the club to end our kit deal with Under Armour? The kits they have produced to date have at best split the fanbase, some have been recieved well, others not so well. This seasons kits are arguably the nicest they have managed to come up with, and i wouldnt want to have a Nike or Adidas template that 10 other clubs share. However, i recently stumbled accross a petition to boycott Under Armour as they are Corporate sponsors of Big Game Trophy Hunting. This is something i feel i do not want my club remotely linked to and the sooner our kit deal expires the better.

they are still sponsoring trophy hunters and are pushing the brands hunting range online. I appreciate we have way bigger issues deep rooted in the club, and to be honest this was more of a light hearted attempt to have an adult conversation about something other than the standard gripes. Clearly there are some who will decide to make a sarcastic remark - feel free to carry on. At the end of the day its a forum, they are intended for fans to discuss things about the club we all support

They pulled the sponsorship in 2016. The hunters hate them for pulling the sponsorship and are boycotting their hunting range.

No they haven't, they still sell all their hunt stuff, for example; https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/adult-ua-extreme-hunt-gaiter/pid1329858-999

and the video posted here; https://www.facebook.com/UAHunt/ is from the 9/Nov THIS year.

F**k them.

You know, I had no idea of this, and I've seen that Facebook page. I hate hunting personally (unless they're going to eat what they've shot, but they aren't).

So yeah, I hope the club drop UA. Genuinely. No point boycotting the products as such, but informing the club that many fans don't sit well with it might not be a bad idea.

Sorry, I know I'm supposed to chip in with some casual sarcasm and keyboard-warrior etiquette...

In USA, the Outdoor Channel had 35.8m TV subscriptions (as of 2015). IIRC the subscription is something like $100 a year. And that is but one subscription channel, in one country. Now compare to the number of Saints supporters around the world. Who do you think is more important to UA?

Stopping under armor from sponsoring this type of thing isn't going to stop this type of thing from happening. Like a lot of silly initiatives, it's more about some people trying to make themselves feel good. In reality any supposed boycott by saints fans is going to make precisely zero difference to anything.

Stopping under armor from sponsoring this type of thing isn't going to stop this type of thing from happening. Like a lot of silly initiatives, it's more about some people trying to make themselves feel good. In reality any supposed boycott by saints fans is going to make precisely zero difference to anything.

no, I think it's more about people objecting to what is actually wrong. Clearly you have no issues with big game hunting or just don't care, which is up to you. Lucky the world is a slightly better place when people do protest and get things changed for the better.

no, I think it's more about people objecting to what is actually wrong. Clearly you have no issues with big game hunting or just don't care, which is up to you. Lucky the world is a slightly better place when people do protest and get things changed for the better.

I think the point is, this particular protest of 7 Southampton fans not buying a replica kit, will not go any way towards ending trophy hunting in the USA.

I think the point is, this particular protest of 7 Southampton fans not buying a replica kit, will not go any way towards ending trophy hunting in the USA.

Spot on. UA if push comes to shove, would drop Saints in a second rather than the US hunting lobby. I don't think people realise how much money the hunting lobby has. Going back to the Outdoor Channel in USA, that does all things hunting etc. If the 35.8m subscribers pay $100 a year, that is an income of $3.58 billion for just one subscription TV channel. Then there are others, magazines, internet, etc etc.

So your protest amounts to not buying a Southampton fc shirt? What tangible difference is that going to make to the proliferation of big game hunting? There's countless other things that you could do about the issue that would make a bigger difference if you actually cared. As I said it's just another meaningless gesture to add to the long list that people like to do- and making sure that others know they have done it of course- since the advent of social media that makes them feel good about themselves. In the real world it achieves nothing. Edited by hypochondriac

So your protest amounts to not buying a Southampton fc shirt? What tangible difference is that going to make to the proliferation of big game hunting? There's countless other things that you could do about the issue that would make a bigger difference if you actually cared. As I said it's just another meaningless gesture to add to the long list that people like to do- and making sure that others know they have done it of course- since the advent of social media that makes them feel good about themselves. In the real world it achieves nothing.

I don't buy the shirt anyway, I'm nearly 50 and it is just not cool.

But you cannot dismiss peoples right to protest just because there is not many of them, got a feeling Rosa Parks was on her own on the bus (unless Nigel was on it too....).

I take your point re. social media and I would agree that there are some people that shove 'goodness' and 'how great am I..' down your throat.

But please don't say it is a waste of time. As far i can see, UA now just produce the 'hunting' kit which is not that big a deal I guess, there is a market for it in respect of legal and justified hunting perhaps? One could argue about the merits of fishing and plenty of shops sell fishing gear.

If though they were dishing out accolades to some dentist that has just shot the last lion in Africa, well that becomes something different and i would not want this club associated with any of that. What sort of protest i would make would be a bit more proactive than not buying the kit etc. the advantage of social media is you can publicly out people or organisations which is a lot more damaging.

I don't buy the shirt anyway, I'm nearly 50 and it is just not cool.

But you cannot dismiss peoples right to protest just because there is not many of them, got a feeling Rosa Parks was on her own on the bus (unless Nigel was on it too....).

I take your point re. social media and I would agree that there are some people that shove 'goodness' and 'how great am I..' down your throat.

But please don't say it is a waste of time. As far i can see, UA now just produce the 'hunting' kit which is not that big a deal I guess, there is a market for it in respect of legal and justified hunting perhaps? One could argue about the merits of fishing and plenty of shops sell fishing gear.

If though they were dishing out accolades to some dentist that has just shot the last lion in Africa, well that becomes something different and i would not want this club associated with any of that. What sort of protest i would make would be a bit more proactive than not buying the kit etc. the advantage of social media is you can publicly out people or organisations which is a lot more damaging.

People have every right to "protest" although it's very questionable that refusing to buy a saints shirt over this actually amounts to any sort of protest. And please don't try and equate this with Rosa Parks, I know you aren't that silly.

The massive disadvantage of social media is it has led to a culture where people would rather shout about how virtuous and how concerned they are about everything whilst actually doing as little as possible to make positive change. You're a prime example- happy to shout about the horrors of big game hunting and loudly chastising others who don't share your same level of faux outrage- but actually doing nothing of any practical use.

Edited by hypochondriac

People have every right to "protest" although it's very questionable that refusing to buy a saints shirt over this actually amounts to any sort of protest.

On this forum, we've had people actually running a kit-based boycott campaign who couldn't scuttle down to the Saints shop quick enough to buy it the day it came out.

People have every right to "protest" although it's very questionable that refusing to buy a saints shirt over this actually amounts to any sort of protest. And please don't try and equate this with Rosa Parks, I know you aren't that silly.

The massive disadvantage of social media is it has led to a culture where people would rather shout about how virtuous and how concerned they are about everything whilst actually doing as little as possible to make positive change. You're a prime example- happy to shout about the horrors of big game hunting and loudly chastising others who don't share your same level of faux outrage- but actually doing nothing of any practical use.

I don't see how one protest is different to another, so Rosa Parks was an example, just because you think one cause is greater then another does not make it irrelevant.

And you will have to point me in the direction of where I 'shouted about the horrors of big game hunting...' and then accuse me of doing nothing about it?

My point was that people are free to protest and if that means not buying a shirt then fair enough even if you think it won't make a difference. And big game hunting is despicable but I personally never claimed that I was staging a protest. I'm still getting over the fact that there was not a protest march on Saturday against Les Reed, shame. Would have loved to be part of the 100 or so souls walking down past the gasworks :lol:

I don't see how one protest is different to another, so Rosa Parks was an example, just because you think one cause is greater then another does not make it irrelevant.

And you will have to point me in the direction of where I 'shouted about the horrors of big game hunting...' and then accuse me of doing nothing about it?

My point was that people are free to protest and if that means not buying a shirt then fair enough even if you think it won't make a difference. And big game hunting is despicable but I personally never claimed that I was staging a protest. I'm still getting over the fact that there was not a protest march on Saturday against Les Reed, shame. Would have loved to be part of the 100 or so souls walking down past the gasworks [emoji38]

Well if your point is that people are free to protest then we agree. Hopefully you also agree that people are free to laugh at such an amusingly ineffectual protest, question its right to be referred to as a protest and be suspicious of the motivation behind such a protest since it doesn't actually prevent a single animal being killed.

And if you really can't see the difference between a very brave gesture of defiance in the middle of civil rights era America and Mr Jones from Swaythling not buying Jones Junior an xxxl saints shirt for the season then there's no hope for you.

People have every right to "protest" although it's very questionable that refusing to buy a saints shirt over this actually amounts to any sort of protest.

It's a personal protest and that's just fine for the people who want to make decisions where they spend their money for personal reasons.

You can try to belittle people's actions and beliefs all you like, it's you that looks stupid, not them.

It's a personal protest and that's just fine for the people who want to make decisions where they spend their money for personal reasons.

You can try to belittle people's actions and beliefs all you like, it's you that looks stupid, not them.

Why do people keep saying "it's fine" like I haven't already agreed that's its fine? Go ahead and take on Under Armor with your highly courageous decision not to buy a saints shirt- you're perfectly entitled to- just don't throw your toys out of the pram if you don't get the sort of response you were hoping for.

Why do people keep saying "it's fine" like I haven't already agreed that's its fine? Go ahead and take on Under Armor with your highly courageous decision not to buy a saints shirt- you're perfectly entitled to- just don't throw your toys out of the pram if you don't get the sort of response you were hoping for.

Thanks for your approval. And you on keep trolling and belittling people's personal choices if that's what makes you happy.

Thanks for your approval. And you on keep trolling and belittling people's personal choices if that's what makes you happy.
If you believe that laughing at an ineffective "protest" loudly publicised on here in order to virtue signal is what trolling is then you're welcome to call it that. I bet the club are devestated that an sfc mug will be left on the shelf this Christmas because "Southamptonfc" has taken his brave stand against the evil under armour corporation. Fight the power.

If you believe that laughing at an ineffective "protest" loudly publicised on here in order to virtue signal is what trolling is then you're welcome to call it that. I bet the club are devestated that an sfc mug will be left on the shelf this Christmas because "Southamptonfc" has taken his brave stand against the evil under armour corporation. Fight the power.

Well OK, I should've said "not very good trolling".

I should also say thank for repeatedly bumping this thread. In your own snall way, you're doing your bit to highlight this issue. That's fine.

Well OK, I should've said "not very good trolling".

I should also say thank for repeatedly bumping this thread. In your own snall way, you're doing your bit to highlight this issue. That's fine.

You're so good and virtuous. Meanwhile the number of lions getting shot in the head per year shows no sign of decreasing.