Favourite songs

Yorkshire Saint

I miss the Milton road and I miss many of the songs with retrospect.

I think my favourite was:

I can't drink and I cant drive but that doesn't really matter.

Coz I come down from southampton and i can drive a tractor.

I can plough and milk a cow and drive a great big mower.

But the thing that I like most is to be a strawberry grower.

Oooo arrrrrr oooo arrrr ooooo to be a Southener.

I'm often surprised how many are never sung now, like wings of a sparrow. But what others so people remember and is it not worth trying to rekindle some ....

I'm often surprised how many are never sung now, like wings of a sparrow. But what others so people remember and is it not worth trying to rekindle some ....

TBF I am surprised that was sung in the first place!

Gert big mower

In terms of sh*tness this is up there with “look like a wotsit” “small town in city/villa” “Paulo di Canio, he’s such a *****o” and “steeeeeeeeeve”

It’s only redeeming feature is its from the 80s so quite retro but just goes to prove even in the halcyon days of terrace wit saints fans still excelled at monginess at times.

Anything is better than the songs we have at the moment. Gabbiadini and Yoshida both have the same song, Bertrand doesn't have one at all and neither does Hoijberg. Actually, McCarthy doesn't have one either. Not just moaning for the sake of moaning by the way, I do have some suggestions. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Anything is better than the songs we have at the moment. Gabbiadini and Yoshida both have the same song, Bertrand doesn't have one at all and neither does Hoijberg. Actually, McCarthy doesn't have one either. Not just moaning for the sake of moaning by the way, I do have some suggestions. [emoji3]

Not sure where you have been but McCarthy has the same song as Gabbiadini and Yoshida and Hoijberg also has a song though luckily it's different form the other 3!

We really do have a lack of songs which is one of the reasons the atmosphere both home and away (I dont call singing oh when the Saints 20 times a game a good atmosphere) are poor.

TBF I am surprised that was sung in the first place!

First line is "I can't read and I can't write, but that don't really matter :scared:

We hate Nottingham forest, we hate Liverpool too.

We hate Manchester united

But Southampton we love you.

Score Southampton score, now you've got one you'll get four

And then something along the lines of . Were by far the best, we **** on the rest....

I think I'm with Turkish on this one.

Anything is better than the songs we have at the moment. Gabbiadini and Yoshida both have the same song, Bertrand doesn't have one at all and neither does Hoijberg.

He does actually. Unfortunately it's not very good and mentions him hating Pompey :mcinnes: :

Oh Pierre Hojbjerg

The one and only

He came from Munich.

He knew his days were numbered if he stayed in Germany,

Now he's on the South coast and he ****ing hates P*mpey.

How about this, to the tune of 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield:

Pierre Emile Hoijberg plays for Denmark and the Saints

Like Ronnie Ekerlund

He came from Bayern coz he fuc*ing hates the skates

So lets have a disco

Oi

Do do do do do do do do do

Do do do

Do do do do do do do

1-2-3 disco.....

And so on.

Like Ronnie Ekerlund

So lets have a disco

Oi

Do do do

Do do do do do do do

1-2-3 disco.....

And so on.

I'm not sure I follow.

Could you put a video of yourself singing that on YouTube to help me out? Thanks.

• Like 1

In terms of sh*tness this is up there with “look like a wotsit” “small town in city/villa” “Paulo di Canio, he’s such a *****o” and “steeeeeeeeeve”

It’s only redeeming feature is its from the 80s so quite retro but just goes to prove even in the halcyon days of terrace wit saints fans still excelled at monginess at times.

I remember it from the 1970's.

Unfortunately in the 70's every club would have a rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone, with scarves held above the head, at some stage of a match. Embarrassing really when I think about it,we were mongs before our time, but then again so was everyone else (Imagine Man Utd and the Stretford End singing something from their hated rivals, but they did).

This shows the current problem in that we don't seem to have enough players whose effort supporters can identify with, 'Jose Fonte baby' is another one lost from repertoire.

We sell anyone who gets a song..do you get the link...they play well fans get behind them and create a song so they get sold. It's a brilliant strategy we have remember? The envy of every other club...turn us into a stepping stone with absolutely no thought about the impact that would have on supporters, the next generation of supporters or the atmosphere.

We sell anyone who gets a song..do you get the link...they play well fans get behind them and create a song so they get sold. It's a brilliant strategy we have remember? The envy of every other club...turn us into a stepping stone with absolutely no thought about the impact that would have on supporters, the next generation of supporters or the atmosphere.

Do we charge a premium if the player goes with a song, and do we pay extra if they come with one ? Armstrong for instance had a good one attached to him at Celtic, although like him it hasn't taken off that well . Perhaps it just doesn't translate that well.

Like Ronnie Ekerlund

So lets have a disco

Oi

Do do do

Do do do do do do do

1-2-3 disco.....

Love this, or to the tune of Body by Loud Luxury...

Pierre, worth every pound

Centre midfield he'll turn you around (you around)

Don't wait around for Nath Redmond now

Gimmie some goals I'm not talking fouls (he's naughty)

Surely we won't concede 6?

Surely we won't let in 6?

But when you put it in the mix

You know you'll probably fail to miss

Hojberg, Pierre Emile Hojberg (He's so handsome)

Hojberg, Pierre Emile Hojberg (He's so dashing)

Hojberg, Pierre Emile Hojberg (He's so Danish)

Hojberg, Pierre Emile Hojberg

Hojberg in our, Hojberg in our f**king team yeah

Hojberg in our, Hojberg in our shocking team yeah

Hojberg in our, Hojberg in our **** poor team yeah

Hojberg in our, Hojberg in our lovely team yeah

INSTRUMENTAL (preferably chanted by the Chapel or encouraged by pitch side cheerleaders)

Strange, one minute you want to be seen as a bit of an hard case, the next a simple old bumpkin.

Seen as a bit of a hard case ? Ha .. I'm not sure where you get that from but I'm not going to squabble with you i just have fond memories of Milton road and the songs we sang versus the current sterile feeling.

I agree with a post above that a lot of this is in relation to being able to identify with the players as we did in league 1 and the championship.

Seen as a bit of a hard case ? Ha .. I'm not sure where you get that from but I'm not going to squabble with you i just have fond memories of Milton road and the songs we sang versus the current sterile feeling.

I agree with a post above that a lot of this is in relation to being able to identify with the players as we did in league 1 and the championship.

You're gonna get your effing head kicked. This was sung within a nanosecond of the away team scoring a goal... or a little bit longer for the neanderthals to register what had happened and what the appropriate response was!!

It was hilarious (or embarrassing if watching MOTD with parents) that The Beeb didn't think about muting it out for ages, at a time when bugger or bloody were the only swear words you might hear on TV back then!!

Hello Hello ..... Milton Aggro, Milton Aggro ... and then when away supporters were put in The Archers ... Archers Archers do your job!!

All very civilised back then!!

• Like 1

You're gonna get your effing head kicked. This was sung within a nanosecond of the away team scoring a goal... or a little bit longer for the neanderthals to register what had happened and what the appropriate response was!!

It was hilarious (or embarrassing if watching MOTD with parents) that The Beeb didn't think about muting it out for ages, at a time when bugger or bloody were the only swear words you might hear on TV back then!!

Hello Hello ..... Milton Aggro, Milton Aggro ... and then when away supporters were put in The Archers ... Archers Archers do your job!!

All very civilised back then!!

So my first games at the Dell were under Nicholl, archers was the away end then. Where were the away fans before that, in one of the wings ?

So my first games at the Dell were under Nicholl, archers was the away end then. Where were the away fans before that, in one of the wings ?

When I first started watching in the late 60's, and early 70's, it might depend on what time they turned up. More often than not it was The Archers Road end but you'd often see a row of Police helmets segregating fans in the Milton. I think Pompey in the 1974-5 season, our first season after relegation the Police put them in one half of the Milton.

When I first started watching in the late 60's, and early 70's, it might depend on what time they turned up. More often than not it was The Archers Road end but you'd often see a row of Police helmets segregating fans in the Milton. I think Pompey in the 1974-5 season, our first season after relegation the Police put them in one half of the Milton.

Pretty much this ...... most London teams and the likes of Liverpool and a few others would normally get in early and stand in the Milton .... only to be unceremoniously moved along from behind the goal by various mobs of later arriving Saints.

Man U were the exception ... they virtually took over every part of the ground by sheer weight of numbers as much as anything else. Policing back then was very much reactive rather than proactive ... they'd form a line between the fighting

factions rather than dictate where they stood.

To the tune of Will Smith's Welcome to Miami

So obviously this season and the last haven't been ideal

We had Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes who are three horrific managers

How we ended up hiring that clown Puel after Koeman is totally beyond us

What the f**k was Reed thinking?

Anyway the football was diabolical and rightly Puel was sacked after one of the worst seasons in living memory

8th and a cup final they cried! Welcome to dreamland.

8th and a f**king cup final, do me a favour

This was the worst destruction of a decent footballing side I've ever seen

Koeman had us playing exciting stuff, attacking beautiful football

It was all going so well

Puel decided good football was no longer on the menu

If I can destroy this side's confidence and ability I can then put my own mark on this team, he believed

Welcome to hell

He's a lovely chap don't get us wrong, the fact he spoke English in interviews when he was still learning the language deserves respect

But we don't judge on interviews

We judge on reults

Welcome to dreamland

Then Pellegrino came in

The less said about him the better

Hughes, well he saved us didn't he?

Everyone was laughing

Then he turned out to be **** too.

So relegation is now a certainty but we'll always have each other, we'll always have our love for Saints

Welcome to St Marys

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

Has anyone got the definite full words to 'My old man said be a pompey fan'? I want a knees up tomorrow after the Coldplay concert.

Just seen the post 2 above, that's the right words.

Edited by The Cat

I've always though it would be an idea to have a retro song day, perhaps for the last away game of the season.

His name is Ronnie Davies

He's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen

You always can rely on him to score the vital goal

And as for Tony Hateley, you can stick him up your hole

DddDavies, DddDavies.......

I'm not sure we could sing that one about any of our current strikers though.

I won't bore you with them all but I know a lot more like that as I used to be one of the people who started the songs at the back of the Milton Road in the late 60s/early 70s. Few of them were unique to us though. Most fans had different versions of the same songs, just the same as they do now.

If you go right back to the early 60s when singing at football games really started, there are some that would sound totally ridiculous today like "Two, for six, eight, who do we appreciate?" Some of the old 60s songs seem to have survived though. Yellow Submarine seems to be very popular with Serie A fans this season. Our version used to be "We all live at the back of Milton Road."

Edited by Nordic Saint

5 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I've always though it would be an idea to have a retro song day, perhaps for the last away game of the season.

His name is Ronnie Davies

He's the leader of the team

The greatest centre forward that the world has ever seen

You always can rely on him to score the vital goal

And as for Tony Hateley, you can stick him up your hole

DddDavies, DddDavies.......

I'm not sure we could sing that one about any of our current strikers though.

is this the tune? Respect to Ron. 

21 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Just seen the post 2 above, that's the right words.

sorry mate I understand the start but not the words after ? i’m terrible with memory, for example had to be corrected as with:

“we hate nottingham forest,

We hate liverpool too,

We hate ?

But southampton we love you”

I thought it was we hate manchester united at the end, but apparently it’s west bromwich albion  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I won't bore you with them all but I know a lot more like that as I used to be one of the people who started the songs at the back of the Milton Road in the late 60s/early 70s

since being moved from block one closure, im now at the very top of block 2 so am in this position. The atmosphere is not very good at all, though we do try ie Woolston ferry, Red and white dynamite, 6ft 2 eyes of blue, knees up mother brown, we are southampton the pride of the south, take a bow legged chicken from the liverpool kop etc. Despite no one really joining in it’s still pretty fun. Problem is as these 70s/80s songs weren’t sung as consistently in years gone by you’d barely find a young fan who knew the words to most of these. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

since being moved from block one closure, im now at the very top of block 2 so am in this position. The atmosphere is not very good at all, though we do try ie Woolston ferry, Red and white dynamite, 6ft 2 eyes of blue, knees up mother brown, we are southampton the pride of the south, take a bow legged chicken from the liverpool kop etc. Despite no one really joining in it’s still pretty fun. Problem is as these 70s/80s songs weren’t sung as consistently in years gone by you’d barely find a young fan who knew the words to most of these. 

As a younger fan I have no idea of the words to these or even how they go. Wonder why people stopped singing them

12 minutes ago, tunit said:

As a younger fan I have no idea of the words to these or even how they go. Wonder why people stopped singing them

If it wasn’t for asking I wouldn’t know the words to majority. Previously you’d pick up on the words through the crowd however no one sings them so you simply don’t. never ever heard most old chants like “my old man said be a pompey fan” hence asking for the words, despite going to saints for about a decade including a 3 year period of going to most aways. Shit really. 

I seem to recall singing this in my youth....many years ago. Probably during the Don Revie era at Leeds. I grant you, lyrically, it's not the strongest song ever, but very easy to remember.

To "The Dam Busters" tune.......

"We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, Leeds and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, and Leeds and Leeds and Leeds, WE ALL F**CKIN' HATE LEEDS"

A Classic of its time!