Female pundits

whelk

Nothing against them and lots of good contributors in podcasts but now seems a proliferation and everyone is queuing up to employ to show they are progressive so much so that they dare not line up without one.

A few days ago one got a question like ‘you know what it is like to score against Brazil, so..., ‘

Absolutely no comparison so let’s not pretend that is where the insight comes from

I can’t help cringing when I hear them speak, so when Alex Scott is on I mute the sound and just watch. It’s slightly ironic really, they are there for equality but we all know someone like Alex Scott is there because of what she looks like.

Nothing against them and lots of good contributors in podcasts but now seems a proliferation and everyone is queuing up to employ to show they are progressive so much so that they dare not line up without one.

A few days ago one got a question like ‘you know what it is like to score against Brazil, so..., ‘

Absolutely no comparison so let’s not pretend that is where the insight comes from

Yep all over other sports like cricket and rugby now too. Tokenism.

The state of this thread.

Eni Aluko is a great pundit and put the likes of Patrice Evra/Henrik Larsson to shame during the World Cup coverage, if just by the virtue of bothering to do some research.

There are a ridiculous number of men in the industry that get a gig in punditry off the back of a having had a decent playing career. How much was Thierry Henry paid when at Sky Sports? Added nothing insightful. Why don’t we complain about that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BBC have an Equality of Outcome policy (a stupid policy). It wants no gender pay gap. Most new BBC roles are filled by women currently as they try to even up the numbers.

Sallly Nugent is dreadful sports presenter. Nothing to do with being a woman but all her chat shows she doesn’t have a clue or arguably an interest in sport.

Can’t stand Alex Scott, just a female Phil Neville, sat there cheerfully stating the flippin’ obvious with an inane smile on her face.

There are some good female pundits in various sports. Gabby Logan, Natalie Pinkham, Clare Balding and some of the SSN presenters are decent.

I do hate when they get a Man City or England women’s player on for a men’s Manchester Derby or England WC game and say, "so, tell us what the pressure is like, playing a game at this level."

Sallly Nugent is dreadful sports presenter. Nothing to do with being a woman but all her chat shows she doesn’t have a clue or arguably an interest in sport.

Is she the one on BBC Breakfast? She's a ****ing joke. A sixth form student with an interest in sports would be better. Mind you, they would also be better than the bloke who does the sports.

Also that Naga woman is a proper div and that burly Geordie one needs someone to tell her she isn't funny.

I don't normally watch BBC Breakfast but my normal routine has been different recently for work reasons and so I've stuck it on a few times. I've concluded its target audience must be children, OAPs and the mentally challenged. ****ing pathetic programme.

Can’t stand Alex Scott, just a female Phil Neville, sat there cheerfully stating the flippin’ obvious with an inane smile on her face.

There are some good female pundits in various sports. Gabby Logan, Natalie Pinkham, Clare Balding and some of the SSN presenters are decent.

I do hate when they get a Man City or England women’s player on for a men’s Manchester Derby or England WC game and say, "so, tell us what the pressure is like, playing a game at this level."

Agree with all of that. Get some decent female pundits in and no one has a problem at all.

Are you gay?

Is she the one on BBC Breakfast? She's a ****ing joke. A sixth form student with an interest in sports would be better. Mind you, they would also be better than the bloke who does the sports.

Also that Naga woman is a proper div and that burly Geordie one needs someone to tell her she isn't funny.

I don't normally watch BBC Breakfast but my normal routine has been different recently for work reasons and so I've stuck it on a few times. I've concluded its target audience must be children, OAPs and the mentally challenged. ****ing pathetic programme.

What staggers me about the BBC sports presenters is the sheer number of them, I don’t understand why they have to have so many.

I can’t help cringing when I hear them speak, so when Alex Scott is on I mute the sound and just watch. It’s slightly ironic really, they are there for equality but we all know someone like Alex Scott is there because of what she looks like.

Many of us do that every time Shearer, Wright, Keown and Jenas open their gobs, oh and that baldy guy who professes to be very wise.

I rarely watch her but did see her this week talking about the first test v Sri Lanka. She came up with a new batting stroke - the reverse swing!! It was cringe making.

They’re bloody hopeless, the lot of them. It’s embarrassing having some dopey bird sat talking with Souness & other great players. You wouldn’t have Dave who won 18 trophies with The dog & duck giving analysis so why are these lot on. Well we know why, if they had a penis they wouldn’t be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love Naga. Would happily marry her. She is smart.

Thing is they all seem v nice people but it is the childishness that they seem to want to compete with GMTV. Louise and Dan are good so think you are being a bit harsh.

Edited by whelk

It may not be fashionable around here, but I'd like to come down on the side of Sally Nugent.

She was looking at classic football shirts but thought the article was about garish shirts so was saying look at this one like Dutch 70s kit as if ridiculous. Haven’t forgiven her since then.

They might actually be quite good at it you old sexist duffer!

No issue at all if they are, as long as they are, rather than suddenly being on there for "statistical purposes". You totally missed the point, which isn't an entire surprise. Also, I'm probably younger than you lol.

Edited by Katalinic

No issue at all if they are, as long as they are, rather than suddenly being on there for "statistical purposes". You totally missed the point, which isn't an entire surprise.

That’s the thing - I genuinely don’t object because they are women. Also many male pundits are terrible and some start terrible and get a lot better.

Although if Alex Scott was as insightful as Gary Neville most wouldn’t accept it and would say ‘what does she know?’ However many are crp at the mo

Kelly Cates is good along with Natalie sawyer and Laura woods

The BBC ladies are terrible in general.

That Geordie bird with short blonde hair started off presenting snippets of business news on brekkie, complained that life isn’t fair and now her massive head is on everything.

Kelly Cates is good along with Natalie sawyer and Laura woods

The BBC ladies are terrible in general.

That Geordie bird with short blonde hair started off presenting snippets of business news on brekkie, complained that life isn’t fair and now her massive head is on everything.

Steph is very annoying but actually pretty funny on HIGNFY. Proper ‘Boro fan too

There is a difference between female presenters and female pundits. For the former grouping, Sue Barker, Suzie Perry, Gabby Logan, Hazel Irvine, Claire Balding etc., are all excellent presenters.

But for pundits, I'd rather listen to those who have played at the highest level, which happens to be men in most [team] sports unless it's something like tennis, athletics, gynastics, swimming etc.

There is a difference between female presenters and female pundits. For the former grouping, Sue Barker, Suzie Perry, Gabby Logan, Hazel Irvine, Claire Balding etc., are all excellent presenters.

But for pundits, I'd rather listen to those who have played at the highest level, which happens to be men in most [team] sports unless it's something like tennis, athletics, gynastics, swimming etc.

Yep and that's very true. I always found Victoria Pendleton and Rebecca Adlington not bad for swimming and cycling. It's not really the same when you have a woman's football player talking about their experiences as if it is in any way comparable.

I'd rather see some more women than any more bl00dy scousers!

I do wonder whether it's just a case of getting used to them and giving them a chance, but the fact that I don't find Gabby Logan or Eni Aluko (and one or two others) annoying suggests that it's much more of an individual thing than just being intolerant of women.

One thing I used to find if I ever heard Georgie Bingham talking was that she was always so keen to make HER opinion count, even if it wasn't controversial in the slightest. For example, "now it seems to me, that Harry Kane is playing quite well at the moment" or "in my opinion, Southampton are struggling at home a little". It's not your opinion, it's what everyone thinks! It always makes me think there is an inferioity complex and that she feels like she has to say that these things are her views to prove that she knows things.

Agree that female commentators are a bit annoying, but realise this of all things could be where I'm just not used to it and being a bit sexist. Not going to tar them all with the same brush, but often it sounds like they are using football phrases they have learnt and think they should be using rather than speaking more naturally (can't quite put my finger on why, and perhaps that's where I'm being unreasonable). Always found Jacqui Oatley a bit irritating in this respect. I'm sure there are plenty of capable commentators out there, and let's face it, none of them could be as awful as Peter Drury, but maybe it will just take a while for the better ones to get a job and be accepted.

In a similar vein, I never understood why the late Peter Brackley was rarely heard commentating on English football where there is a plethora of dreadful male commentators out there. Perhaps the people making the appointments are the ones to blame (which comes back to my original point about scousers...!)

Yeah, I mean, like, what are they doing commenting on 'our' game, eh, geezers? Bloody women. They'll be getting the vote next.
People like this are far more close-minded than those who have legitimate criticisms of some female commentators. I don't see many people criticising them solely because of their gender? I also see posters being very critical of some male pundits too. Garth Crooks for instance is absolutely awful.

People like this are far more close-minded than those who have legitimate criticisms of some female commentators. I don't see many people criticising them solely because of their gender? I also see posters being very critical of some male pundits too. Garth Crooks for instance is absolutely awful.

Actually, almost all of the replies to this thread are criticising them because of their gender. References to "that blonde bird" and "shreaking" kind of give the game away. Some female presenters are poor, as are some male presenters. Gender has nothing to do with it unless you are still living in the seventies.

Actually, almost all of the replies to this thread are criticising them because of their gender. References to "that blonde bird" and "shreaking" kind of give the game away. Some female presenters are poor, as are some male presenters. Gender has nothing to do with it unless you are still living in the seventies.

Actually, almost all of them aren't. Nobody has said either of the two quotes you refer to either.

Erm no they aren't. Your intolerance and bigotry has blinded you to the reality.

I find it odd how women's football and women's cricket especially for example are being rammed down our throats that we should all enjoy it and watch it as it is so popular. Therefore, why can't all these new female presenters, pundits and commentators, for example Alex Scott, work on the women's football or cricket as surely they would be in the best position to promote the women's game if they are really that knowledgeable. Then leave all the male pundits, presenters and commentators do the male sports.

The whole PC thing drives me mad, bit like when people keep saying there are not enough black managers in the football leagues. I'm all for black managers being in football but like in any job, it should be because they are the best person for the job, not for other reasons.

There are a handful of really good female presenters, for example, Sue Barker is absolutely brilliant and knowledgeable presenting the tennis but even poor Sue was in danger of being turfed off some of the hours she normally does so Clare Balding could come on and start patronising us all and treating us like five year olds. Anyone who saw her presenting "Today at Wimbledon" a couple of years ago when they had a few fans there will know what I mean, it was dreadful and thankfully they got rid of that format the following year.

Similarly, as a few have said, Kelly Cates is pretty good presenter and on the radio, I do like Georgie Bingham, after all anyone who says they admire him for his talent but can't stand him as a person is fine by me when they are referring to Lewis Hamilton.

On the plus side, Alex Hammond is very good on At the Races and Sky and as a bonus, she is yummy too! :)