Paul Mitchell set for Saints return...

Saint-Armstrong

According to Jeremy Wilson, who reports that the club are looking into approaching Mitchell about returning to fill the void (at least partially) left by Les Reed's departure.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/19/southmaptons-off-field-overhaul-could-include-division-les-reeds/

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Thread says...'Set for return '

Article says... 'likely to consider approach'

Those two are not the same, in fact they are significantly different! ;)

Agreed, but it’s odd that he’d be publicly named by someone who’s generally considered to be the club’s media mouthpiece.

I always thought that Mitchell’s return was unlikely following Alderweireld’s move to Spurs.

I see we have an ‘extremely deep roster’. Always the first thing you think of with successful teams. This is clearly a holding piece intended to convey we are doing something when we are doing very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see we have an ‘extremely deep roster’. Always the first thing you think of with successful teams. This is clearly a holding piece intended to convey we are doing something when we are doing very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're pretty deep in the Premier League table too.

Club fed = Promes & Walcott - Reality = Carillo

Club fed = Mitchell and Webber - Realty = Barry Fry

LOL

We definitely live in a 'I'll believe it when I see it' situation when it comes to Saints. Would be surprised if Mitchell wanted to come back, but he obviously had a good record for us so would welcome it.

We've briefed that we will consider Mitchell, not that we will get him. If we don't brief that we are interested, then when we make an appointment, people will complain that we didn't consider him and didn't think ambitiously enough
Rubbish. Using that logic why didn't we brief that we were interested in Ronaldo in the summer?

Yes, Wilson's puff pieces have become increasingly erratic in recent months. I listened to him on Saints FC pod recently and didn't think he came across as particularly well which surprised me.

Saints PR is terrible and getting worse, just like the 1st team.

Mitchell makes a lot of sense. Could possibly attract him with a bigger role than in Leipzig but ultimately it will come down to cash, so doubt he will come back.

Wee Ross seems bullet proof.

Not many Saints staff return - let's hope Mitchell does - youngish, and a good record of successful recruitment. Why is wee Ross bullet proof?

Not many Saints staff return - let's hope Mitchell does - youngish, and a good record of successful recruitment. Why is wee Ross bullet proof?

I imagine Ross's position will be under the jurisdiction of whoever new comes in. I'd expect any new DOF/head of football operations type to overhaul the setup themselves once they've had a view on it.

I’d have been slightly alarmed if he went as well, as even though his record is shocking, he is simply the only football voice/knowledge available to the ‘board’ now.

I imagine Ross's position will be under the jurisdiction of whoever new comes in. I'd expect any new DOF/head of football operations type to overhaul the setup themselves once they've had a view on it.

I’d have been slightly alarmed if he went as well, as even though his record is shocking, he is simply the only football voice/knowledge available to the ‘board’ now.

"Wilson has never played football to any significant level and graduated in social sciences at Strathclyde University.....Wilson stumbled into a career in football. A friend's father worked for the media department and needed reports on the under-18 team's games"

I suppose you could argue that his record as our Head of Recruitment is his qualification as our 'football voice'.

Personally, I wouldn't be too alarmed if he were sacked.

I'll believe that when I see it. I know Wilson has links with the club but I always got the impression he was pally with Reed so not sure where that leaves him now.

Everything he's published recently, and especially last Jan, was so far off the mark it made Shane Long look prolific.

Also worth pointing out the main poster is in the journalism game so is obviously going to put a slightly misleading headline to get people to read the article.