Paul Mitchell set for Saints return...

Saint-Armstrong

I'll believe that when I see it. I know Wilson has links with the club but I always got the impression he was pally with Reed so not sure where that leaves him now.

Everything he's published recently, and especially last Jan, was so far off the mark it made Shane Long look prolific.

Also worth pointing out the main poster is in the journalism game so is obviously going to put a slightly misleading headline to get people to read the article.

the main poster as you describe him had his tongue up Alex Crooks arse for years so i'd take anything he says with a pinch of salt. Although he seems to have grown out of his old habit of seeing things on twitter than trying to pass them off as his own news.

I'm fed up of us leaking positive things to the media. The same thing happened with the Walcott ordeal and the promes deal. I'll believe it when I see it.

I’m more at the “I’ll believe it when I don’t see it” stage.

The "?" Made it OK ;)

Reminds me of Betteridges (?) Law. If a headline has a question mark at the end of it, the answer to the question is always no.

I imagine Ross's position will be under the jurisdiction of whoever new comes in. I'd expect any new DOF/head of football operations type to overhaul the setup themselves once they've had a view on it.

I’d have been slightly alarmed if he went as well, as even though his record is shocking, he is simply the only football voice/knowledge available to the ‘board’ now.

Ross Wilson is the Director of football operations. He's taking on part of Reed's role is seems.

Ross Wilson is the Director of football operations. He's taking on part of Reed's role is seems.
Yes, I must have missed that Ross is now Director of Football Operations. That's a new development isn't it? Thought he was head of scouting and recruitment before? Stealthily promoted whilst putting out that we are "considering" approaching Mitchell?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes, on reflection it is a misleading title. I amended with a question mark once that was realised, so the stick for that is fair enough.

Although, I'm not sure why anyone would give time out of their day to get too het up about that on a football forum! Also struggling to understand why Supersonic is going on about it being done to get people to read the article. I didn't write it and I have no vested interest in getting clicks for The Telegraph. It would be particularly bad clickbait seeing as I put the entire essence of the piece into the top line of the OP too! :lol:

Anyway, on the topic of the thread: do agree that it seems like a puff piece.

I wonder who is actually briefing Wilson, too? I had assumed previously that it was direct from Les Reed, but perhaps it comes from within the club's communications department itself. Would make some more sense as I can't imagine Ralph being particularly connected with members of the English football press.

But as others have said, this very much feels as if they are laying the foundations for 'we have chosen this person from a strong field of candidates' with a point towards the likes of Paul Mitchell and Stuart Webber. For both of those individuals, I don't really understand why they'd trade in their current status and employment to come and work under this board.

Sad and disillusioning times. Can understand from an organisational perspective why you'd keep Ross Wilson around right now, but the idea of him being given a heightened role in the new structure? He was already Head of Football Operations... and that has hardly been a roaring success. Couple that with Webber's comments about the state of Huddersfield after he inherited his role from Wilson and... well, it's not great.

We can but hope...

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Yes, on reflection it is a misleading title. I amended with a question mark once that was realised, so the stick for that is fair enough.

Although, I'm not sure why anyone would give time out of their day to get too het up about that on a football forum! Also struggling to understand why Supersonic is going on about it being done to get people to read the article. I didn't write it and I have no vested interest in getting clicks for The Telegraph. It would be particularly bad clickbait seeing as I put the entire essence of the piece into the top line of the OP too! :lol:

Anyway, on the topic of the thread: do agree that it seems like a puff piece.

I wonder who is actually briefing Wilson, too? I had assumed previously that it was direct from Les Reed, but perhaps it comes from within the club's communications department itself. Would make some more sense as I can't imagine Ralph being particularly connected with members of the English football press.

But as others have said, this very much feels as if they are laying the foundations for 'we have chosen this person from a strong field of candidates' with a point towards the likes of Paul Mitchell and Stuart Webber. For both of those individuals, I don't really understand why they'd trade in their current status and employment to come and work under this board.

Sad and disillusioning times. Can understand from an organisational perspective why you'd keep Ross Wilson around right now, but the idea of him being given a heightened role in the new structure? He was already Head of Football Operations... and that has hardly been a roaring success. Couple that with Webber's comments about the state of Huddersfield after he inherited his role from Wilson and... well, it's not great.

We can but hope...

From my perspective Jeremy Wilson seems to be accurate when he reports depressing/underwhelming/deflecting Saints news. Some of his articles last year about the club sticking with Pellegrino when he obviously needed to go, drove me up the wall.

Wilson has held that job title for a while now - since Gareth Rogers left amid the last board restructure, I believe. Les Reed was vice chairman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...