Loan report

Doctoroncall

From the guardian... extract of the Saints first team players from every PL club:

Southampton

Guido Carrillo, 27, Leganés Arguably the worst piece of business in Premier League history, Saints’ £19m club-record signing was shipped out on loan this summer after failing to find the net in 10 appearances. Reunited with Mauricio Pellegrino, he has scored against both Madrid clubs in La Liga this season.

Harrison Reed, 23, Blackburn Rovers Another Championship stint beckoned after failing to break into the first-team group this summer. Has shone for Tony Mowbray’s side after playing regularly at Norwich City last season.

Jordy Clasie, 27, Feyenoord Signed by Ronald Koeman on a five-year contract in 2015, the Dutchman continues to impress abroad. Helped Club Brugge to the Belgian title in 2018 and has made 11 Eredivisie appearances this season.

Josh Sims, 21, Reading The forward shone on his Premier League debut against Everton, but slowly fell out of the first-team picture after injury. Has struggled to cement a starting berth in the Championship.

Ryan Seager, 22, Telstar Prolific at youth level, the striker’s long-term future looks set to be away from Saints after making his Premier League debut in 2015. Has scored two goals this season.

Sam McQueen, 23, Middlesbrough The talented wing-back was heavily involved during pre-season at Saints before linking up with Tony Pulis’s side. Made six appearances before rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament against Crystal Palace.

Sofiane Boufal, 25, Celta Vigo Once the club’s £16m record signing, a move away became inevitable after falling out with Mark Hughes last season. Has scored two goals in 10 games and has been in and out of the Morocco squad. Ben Fisher

“Guido Carrillo, 27, Leganés Arguably the worst piece of business in Premier League history”

This made me chuckle.

I remember when the likes of Marlet and Rebrov were considered massive flops because they cost £10m and scored 'only' 15 goals in 2 seasons, or something like that.

I think Jo might just edge Carrillo for terrible signings, plus anyone who has ever signed Andy Carroll. Honourable mentions to the slightly cheaper but equally hilarious Altidore and N'Zogbia.

I'd forgotten we even have Clasie.

Personally I think used properly claise could have been a good player for us

What a sorry list that’s is though. Two players who at one time were record signings, others who at on point had got a first team call up, made an impression and then never been picked again. Reed, Sims and Mqueen surely couldn’t do any worse than some of the helmets we’ve spent millions on?

If you haven't seen the report, don't look and guess how many Chelsea have out on loan....

It still surprised me to see players in that list who are 24/25, never made a first team appearance and nowhere near the first team. Whilst I know the idea is to eventually sell them to a Championship/lower level Prem team, is that really going to cover 6/7 years of pro wages?

I'd forgotten we even have Clasie.

I would imagine that he is the one who blocked the pathway for Harrison Reed.

.........and before anyone says "but Harry Reed ain't Premier League quality", Clasie was never a box of fireworks in a Saints shirt, came in for quite a few quid and stuffed a not too shabby 5 year contract in his pocket. Reed already had more PL experience, Poch trusted him, trusted him enough to help close out the game v City on a memorable Saturday night. Far more dynamic player than Clasie, just needed a bit of polishing.

As mentioned before, Peter Crouch wrote a very true piece after Loftus-Cheek took that recent CL game by the scruff of the neck "If he had cost Chelsea £35m he would be playing every week". The acquisition of Carillo for £19m, even us dumb saps who sit in the stands went "who?!" "really?!" especially after seeing his less than sparkling CV. Slipping Birmingham City £5m to buy Gallagher out of his loan would have been a damn sight cheaper and less of a risk.

Certainly a bit of a grim read

I would imagine that he is the one who blocked the pathway for Harrison Reed.

.........and before anyone says "but Harry Reed ain't Premier League quality", Clasie was never a box of fireworks in a Saints shirt, came in for quite a few quid and stuffed a not too shabby 5 year contract in his pocket. Reed already had more PL experience, Poch trusted him, trusted him enough to help close out the game v City on a memorable Saturday night. Far more dynamic player than Clasie, just needed a bit of polishing.

As mentioned before, Peter Crouch wrote a very true piece after Loftus-Cheek took that recent CL game by the scruff of the neck "If he had cost Chelsea £35m he would be playing every week". The acquisition of Carillo for £19m, even us dumb saps who sit in the stands went "who?!" "really?!" especially after seeing his less than sparkling CV. Slipping Birmingham City £5m to buy Gallagher out of his loan would have been a damn sight cheaper and less of a risk.

Certainly a bit of a grim read

None of Clasie's failings have any bearing on Reed's ability as a footballer. Poch didn't 'trust' him, he put him on as an 89th minute sub against a lackluster City team. That's it.

Neither Gallagher nor Reed are Premier League quality; a succession of managers and their respective coaching staff seem to be agreed on that.

I think Clasie is a great player - just didn't happen for him with us - injuries and in and out of the team which is a hard thing for any player - he is / was 'a ticker' a player that's keep the ball moving and passes well - (like a carrick etc.)

Sometimes people expect different things to what the player is.

Think we would have seen him beginning to run games or help run games if Koeman had stayed

Listening to Saintspodcast some months ago it had a statistician on. The Saints playerwith most points per time on pitch was Claisie!

There's gotta be some sub that came on in the last min of a game we were ahead in that never appeared again.