Fulham vs Saints Match Thread

Shroppie

Watching the City game on the TV at the same time. Looks like a different sport. Passing and decision making so much quicker but it’s the off the ball running and communication that is streets ahead. Not many incisive off the ball runs by Saints and when they do, the player on the ball is too slow, thick, or too turd-like to spot the run and execute the pass.

Bloody typical. We're generally on top for most of the match, go ahead and then can't hold a lead, go behind, and have to score twice to even stand a chance of getting three points. If we lose, then time to get shot of Hughes. Where was Targett for their second? Lemina, Hojbjerg, Armstrong have been good, as has Redmond. Gabbiadini should have made it two for us.

It's unfathomable how Hughes keeps sticking with Austin up front on his own. The guy is a completely busted flush - a useless passenger whose very presence on the pitch puts the team under pressure due to not applying any to the opposition. It's a travesty that he is still getting regular starts. I don't know a lot about Obafemi but he genuinely couldn't be any worse so let's give him a try.

I don't know what's happened to Cedric but he's just been abysmal this season. But we failed to strengthen that position when everyone could see it was necessary, so we don't have much other choice. Maybe put Stephens at RB? Again, surely he couldn't do any worse.

I still don't know what to make of Hoedt. Occasionally he shows real composure and is very good on the ball, but other times he looks completely lost. Fine example was his chance from the FK right at the end of the half - he had a free header but just got completely confused about where he was, and where the ball and the goal were.

If we can't turn this around today - and I've seen no evidence to suggest we will - then we are well on course to finish bottom. Absolutely unacceptable. The squad isn't amazing, granted, but with decent coaching and management they should be comfortably mid-table. This falls squarely on Hughes' shoulders.

Fulham have been fortunate, scored twice against the run of play. We will

Come back and take this 3-2. I hope...

Sub Austin for Obe and have a go at them. They are not great at the back and we will know we can get more goals against them.

COYS for a stirring second half comeback - you owe it to our noisy fans who have travelled today.

I hope for this but feel i will be disappointed

We've played some really good looking stuff with no end product as always....I don't know how the board can say we have a better squad than our position. These players are playing to the limits of their abilities....they just aren't good enough.....not Hughes, Pellegrino or Puel's fault.

Apart from Austin, I don't question anyone's work rate or passion.....just their footballing ability

We will still probably steal an equaliser - but this highlights just how fragile this poor team is. Austin/Cedric both having shockers, along with Hoedt.

Lemina/Yoshida/Redmond/Armstrong so far doing well, a really strange performance.

However Hughes needs to go, can't see us improving under him, and he is too stubborn to change underperforming players like Hoedt/Cedric.

Pretty fair summary. There has been good football in patches and I reckon we're the better team, but oh dear, our defence.

Watching the City game on the TV at the same time. Looks like a different sport. Passing and decision making so much quicker but it’s the off the ball running and communication that is streets ahead. Not many incisive off the ball runs by Saints and when they do, the player on the ball is too slow, thick, or too turd-like to spot the run and execute the pass.
Pretty well every team looks slow and poor compared with City.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I just would like to see Saints go for the oppositions throat when they have a lead. 18 points lost from winning positions since sparkless Mark took over.

We were well on top, but keep moving the ball to slowly and worrying about possession stats, rather than trying to kill the game off. Austin is such a passenger it's like having 10 men. Add to that the ball watching for the first goal and it just does your head in.

It's only a guess but I imagine you have to go a long way back to the last time we came from behind to win a league game? Whereas if you look at the times we have taken the lead and either lost or drawn.....

West Brom away last season?

When you've won 5 in 43 you don't have much to choose from though!

Surely you are joking here? Gab I came back and got a toe on the ball, which bounced off Sessegnon and fell kindly for him, which is the only reason he got that cross in.

It was more a general comment than a goal-specific comment. Cedric's not good enough to cover a lot of space, and we need to anticipate rather than react if we're to cover it. Sessegnon will do it again if we let him.