Fulham 3-2 Saints - Post match

saint lard

We should no way be above Bournemouth. They are better run, better coached, fitter, more hard working, Have better players - oh and they have lots more points than us. In fact if they didn't play again I'm not sure we'd get enough points to overhaul them. We are one of the worst three teams in this league and anyone who claims different is deluding themselves. We have had a relatively easy run of fixtures since the start from the season and look where we are. It is only going to get worse.

I'm afraid that of late I can't be arsed to follow the pre-match threads, so I don't know what the situation is with those players absent today. Is Bertrand injured? Is Ings also still injured? Presumably apart from Bertrand, this is the favoured defence, Stephens and Vestergaard out of favour, as is Romeu in midfield.

One thing I'll say about Fat Sam, he knows how to win matches. You may not like the style, team selection, etc., but he figures out a way to win

NO! FFS how can you seriously contemplate for one second bringing that crook in!

I'm a lifelong fan and I would rather get relegated with a promising young new manager who will bring us back up again than that defensive, boring, un-footballing criminal.

On way back from the game which, result aside, was at least an interesting watch - rare for Saints.

Ultimately we ****ed it up as played ok at times considering we only had 10 men. I have taken stick on here for being anti Austin, but actually I was just right. He is finished at PL level and the contrast of him and Mitrovic today probably decided the game. Mitrovic bullied our defenders, especially Yoshida who was poor. Austin didn't even move.

We cannot defend, make too many basic errors and lack leaders. The fact that Obafemi was being pushed around at the end and only Redmond rushed over to assist is telling.

The only players to emerge with any credit were Redmond (best player on the pitch), Armstrong and Lemina - these guys gave everything today.

Generally we did ok with the ball, but there doesn't look to be any plan from Hughes and ultimately he is picking a team which just doesn't know how to win games.

Hughes out - whilst there is still a (very slim) chance of not being relegated.

I think we’re probably as bad as Cardiff and Huddersfield. Rest are miles better than us. Just get the relegation over with so we can do away with one of the most untalented, unlikeable and egotistic squads I’ve ever had the displeasure

of seeing.

Of course, Fulham aren't miles better than us. We outplayed them for much of the match. They might improve now that they have Ranieri managing them, but then so would we when we replace Hughes.

I try to be a reasonable optimist and realist. You can't just make poor players vanish and there won't be good replacements available in January.

Likewise, paying off Hughes when we're still paying off Pellegrino and possibly Puel, and paying the wages of the likes of Forster, Boufal and Carrillo isn't something that can be taken on lightly. But the alternative is losing the Premier income which would be disastrous for the club and the city.

We've reached the point where we're stuck in a dangerous rut and I don't think Hughes can get us out. We were recently considered boring by a contingent on here, but we could defend. Teams can be reasonably successful by grinding out results, playing not well, but amassing points. (Burnley) But once you're consistently playing some attractive football but not winning because of stupid mistakes and lack of fitness, the rot has set in. We just haven't got the necessary backbone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Successive Managers have to take their fair of criticism and many would argue that under Hughes we dont appear to be fit.

However the main problem, as I see it, is the total incompetence in the transfer market in recent seasons.

The majority of supporters would have highlighted to need for a (taller) understudy/replacement for Cedric and a proper target man, at the very least.

Meantime we have also got 4 Championship standard central defenders and one I am (Hoedt) I am not so sure what level he is at plus £50m of 'talent' either out on loan or sat at home counting his £60/£70k a week wedge

It is nice to know that Willy Waffle (aka Ralphie boy) reckons we have a strong 'roster' with no need to strengthen in January.

I suppose the good news is that no other club is going to come knocking for any of our players unless we are offering up 'Black Friday' discounts.

I thought Saints were unlucky today.

Seeing signs that Hughes is turning it around as we scored two goals instead of our usual ones.

Are You deluded? It was Fulham we were playing today. Hughes hasn’t improved this team whatsoever. He needs to go on the basis that he thinks hoedt is worth a starting place. When we make a sub the team has no method of play. We are garbage and our owner is a total bellend who she have never touched the club. Out of his depth. Kat sold us down the river.

Rant over...

Of course, Fulham aren't miles better than us. We outplayed them for much of the match. They might improve now that they have Ranieri managing them, but then so would we when we replace Hughes.

I'd have Cairney, Mawson, Christie, Sessengen, Seri, Mitrovic, Schurrle, Chambers, Odoi over anything we have.

Our defence just stinks, you can't give up 3 goals and win.

We have no cohesive attack. All of our opportunities come because the ball bounces around and we get lucky. You can't score consistently this way, its 75% lucky. Watch the good teams, they build up and predictably create chances. All our mids are like holding mids (maybe Armstrong aside), and this leaves out forwards isolated (no matter which one). Austin, Gabbi, Ings, Long, etc., none of them look good because of this. They have to come back out of position just to get touches which defeats the whole purpose. And yes I know we looked more dangerous at the end of the match, but this was because Fulham parked the bus for the last 5 minutes.

We need a reral attacking mid or two, and a complete rehaul of the central D.

And just to add one more point for comparison, the last time we had a "team attacking effort", not just kicking the ball around and hoping for a lucky bounce, was under Puel. Remember, with roughly the same players, we had Austin get 6 goals before he got hurt? Then Gabbi came in and got 6 goals the 2nd half of the season without missing a beat. The mids were creating and attacking, and the strikers were getting the ball in proper positive positions. I am not reflecting on either Austin or Gabbi here, but just commenting that this is a team sport and its way to easy to just say our strikers stink year in and year out (paue here for the Puel supporters to chime in).

We need to have a team concept to scoring, and if we don't have the attacking mid players to do it (like a Mane) then we need to get them. Hughes needs to modify the lineup to make this happen.

No sure there are other teams that play the "lucky bounce offense" too, however they don't have the same crappy defense as us. They would have won todays match. So part two is our defense stinks, especially in the middle.

To me these are the two areas where we are Championship quality, and these are two extremely important areas.

Reviewing my predictions since the Watford game...

Remaining 2018 fixtures coming up ..... Fulham(a) D, Man U(h) L, Spurs(a) L, Cardiff(a) D, Arse(h) L, Udders(a) D, Spam(h) D, Citeh(h) L

On current form 4 points from that lot doesn't sound unreasonable giving us 12 points from 20 games played.

OK make that 3 points from remaining 2018 fixtures giving us 11 points from 20 games played.

Effectively down by 1 Jan.

:(

Jacob Steinberg

@JacobSteinberg

2m2 minutes ago

More

"You're getting sacked in the morning," chant the Southampton fans. Poor Mark Hughes.

Says it all.

Hughes must not survive this.

Awful manager.

Just back from the game. Thought this was pretty poor taste tbh, even if I agree that he should go.

I'd have Cairney, Mawson, Christie, Sessengen, Seri, Mitrovic, Schurrle, Chambers, Odoi over anything we have.

You didn’t watch the game today then ??

In general play Saints were far superior !

As ever though, we missed easy chances and conceded soft goals but no way were all those Fulham players better than ours !

They are still beneath us in the league for a reason !

Seeing signs that Hughes is turning it around as we scored two goals instead of our usual ones.

Yes, but we've been like that for a bit. Teams that play quite attractive football but are "unlucky" and keep losing go down.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Positives:

Armstrong

Targett (Played a level above Bertrand)

Lemina

Redmond at a stretch

Negatives:

Didn’t realise we were playing 1-4-2 today. Hope Hoedt is sent to row back from the Thames via the Channel after that.

Vestergaard, Stephens or Bednarek back in please, I’ve appreciated about as much of him bringing our defence up to a ‘higher level’ as I am willing to stand.

Think Hughes will be given Man U and Spurs as those are hopeless fixtures anyway, after that hopefully someone new.

Not that it will help much, we have to have the most unlikable squad since QPR were in the Prem.

On way back from the game which, result aside, was at least an interesting watch - rare for Saints.

Ultimately we ****ed it up as played ok at times considering we only had 10 men. I have taken stick on here for being anti Austin, but actually I was just right. He is finished at PL level and the contrast of him and Mitrovic today probably decided the game. Mitrovic bullied our defenders, especially Yoshida who was poor. Austin didn't even move.

We cannot defend, make too many basic errors and lack leaders. The fact that Obafemi was being pushed around at the end and only Redmond rushed over to assist is telling.

The only players to emerge with any credit were Redmond (best player on the pitch), Armstrong and Lemina - these guys gave everything today.

Generally we did ok with the ball, but there doesn't look to be any plan from Hughes and ultimately he is picking a team which just doesn't know how to win games.

Hughes out - whilst there is still a (very slim) chance of not being relegated.

Pretty much how I saw it too, except Mario was our best player by miles.

Strong committed always looking to go forward.

Criminal defending - especially two on one v sessegnon for the 2nd goal.

Yep. Ridiculous that we lost today. That being said, we DID lose. Eventually your lives run out. If we had beaten Watford or Newcastle then today could have been written off as a good performance and an unlucky result. But we didn't.

Yep. Ridiculous that we lost today. That being said, we DID lose. Eventually your lives run out. If we had beaten Watford or Newcastle then today could have been written off as a good performance and an unlucky result. But we didn't.

Agreed - we are better than them, we were better than them today. But the bottom line is that we lost. Again. You make your own luck after a while.

Best performance i’ve seen from us this season (not saying much I know) and we were the better team (again, not saying much). Defensive mistakes and not taking our chances killing us as usual. They were sh1te but clinical. Lemina, Hoj, Armstrong, Redmond all very good today, would have only had one of their players, Mitrovic for Austin. Like us, they’re going to struggle. Sadly feel the only way we have any chance of switching the momentum is to get rid of Hughes.

I remember when I decided with my mate to go to both Milan and Prague saying that I had to make the trip because it would be the high point of this period in the Premier league. It seems that this was entirely correct and I'm glad I did it. I think if we do end up relegated now that this will be what we look back on as the first game where we seriously coukd see us heading for relegation.

I suppose the powers that be (whoever they are) will see this result as a sign of improvement and deem it not necessary to sack Hughes or to strengthen the squad in January. You just know it!!.

But who are the powers that be? Who is there to make decisions? The Chinese guy we have never seen? The Canadian ice hockey guy? The German/Swiss lady? Who is there?

I remember when I decided with my mate to go to both Milan and Prague saying that I had to make the trip because it would be the high point of this period in the Premier league. It seems that this was entirely correct and I'm glad I did it. I think if we do end up relegated now that this will be what we look back on as the first game where we seriously coukd see us heading for relegation.

It’s taken this long?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But who are the powers that be? Who is there to make decisions? The Chinese guy we have never seen? The Canadian ice hockey guy? The German/Swiss lady? Who is there?

Hoedt. Seems to run the place

Yes because at the moment we aren't even in the relegatoon zone despite our awful performances. For some reason there are a load of crap teams this year.

Fair enough. I actually think we’re the worst though as we are amazingly brittle. Most of the others at least have spirit and hard work at their cores