Fulham 3-2 Saints - Post match

saint lard

Fair enough. I actually think we’re the worst though as we are amazingly brittle. Most of the others at least have spirit and hard work at their cores

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might pan out that way but at the moment that's not what the table says. I'd be confident of staying up with a new manager despite how awful we have been.

Surely a sane manager would have matched Vestergaard up against mitrovic.
what happened to Vestergaard?

he wasn't playing so badly that he deserved a permanent place on the bench, was he?

a Yoshida/Vestergaard pairing wouldn't be a bad look at this point, would it?

what happened to Vestergaard?

he wasn't playing so badly that he deserved a permanent place on the bench, was he?

a Yoshida/Vestergaard pairing wouldn't be a bad look at this point, would it?

Bednarek / Vestergaard ... Vestergaard was made to look worse having to play next to Hoedt

Hoedt is a massive part of our decline.

How he can be considered the defensive lynchpin after Fonte and van Dijk defies belief.

Get him on the bench and play Vestergard with Bednarek.

Perhaps he has one of those “must play when fit” contract clauses...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoedt is a massive part of our decline.

How he can be considered the defensive lynchpin after Fonte and van Dijk defies belief.

Get him on the bench and play Vestergard with Bednarek.

"we're looking forward to him forming a partnership with his international team-mate, Virgil Van Dijk".

We’re the worst team in the league by far.

Hughes needs to go now.

There is only one team that has won as few games as us...but I don't think we are the worst team, however we are the worst club.

No one else is so poor from the top of he organisation down to the first team manager and centre backs etc...even Those with poor owners have something going for them, a decent manager (Newcastle) or a decent player (palace)

Pleased to see Armstrong get a couple of goals, hopefully that will help his confidence.

But another dreadful result. We shouldn't be conceding 3 goals against teams like Fulham.

Not sure where we go from here to be perfectly honest. The team Hughes put out today is more or less as good as it gets. Some will argue a better manager is the way forward, I personally don't know if the squad is capable of much more than a relegation scrap.

I'd have Cairney, Mawson, Christie, Sessengen, Seri, Mitrovic, Schurrle, Chambers, Odoi over anything we have.

LOL. I might take Schurrle, Mirtrovic and Sessignon, but none of the others are better over anything we have. Recently I have seldom seen us dominate a team as much as we dominated them for much of the match, so your opinion that the bulk of their team is better than ours is risible. The difference is that they have strikers capable of finishing. Their defence is just as bad as ours and their midfield isn't as good as ours.

I’m looking forward to the championship because it might kick start these events:

Gao decides to sell because he realises that the golden goose is not going to lay an egg without some effort and input.

Kat decides to sell because she realises we were not left in safe hands after all and needs to get out before she makes a total mess of her fathers dreams.

Ralph leaves because of a continuing sore throat caused by incessant talking of boll*cks.

90% of the playing side leave because of their mercenary tendencies and desire to play their poor excuse for football elsewhere before they are found out.

Ross Wilson leaves for his part in the Carrillo Mat robbery of Southampton FC.

And then just maybe a new dawn.

I’m looking forward to the championship because it might kick start these events:

Gao decides to sell because he realises that the golden goose is not going to lay an egg without some effort and input.

Kat decides to sell because she realises we were not left in safe hands after all and needs to get out before she makes a total mess of her fathers dreams.

Ralph leaves because of a continuing sore throat caused by incessant talking of boll*cks.

90% of the playing side leave because of their mercenary tendencies and desire to play their poor excuse for football elsewhere before they are found out.

And then just maybe a new dawn.

trouble is Billy is that we may never return. Look at Ipswich. We need to stay up and try and get some kind of stability but having such a poor recruitment set up we are in trouble

Do you think this team would do better?

Gunn

Bednarek yoshida Stephens Targett

Sims hojbjerg Reed Armstrong

Gallagher obafemi

I reckon that team would beat today's team.

Wouldn't do any worse although harsh on Redmond he played ok today certainly a constant source of problems. McCarthy made some good saves as well so no need for Gunn at the moment.

Hughes lost that game because of three reasons.

- Playing Austin from the start, he simply cannot lead the line, love his passion but he is an impact sub nothing more. Today he lost the ball time and time again and they scored from two of these occasions. Yoshida was horribly exposed and was sucked into the midfield, allowing Fulham to spread the ball wide and that was that.

- Playing Cedric, he is easily beaten at the far post, every large centre forward knows it and he is targeted every game. Stephens or Bendarek would do better and maybe play Cedric further forward.

- The players are simply not fit enough. At one point Redmond broke from our half having dispossessed a Fulham player, he charged up the wing great opportunity we thought, no Fulham players near him. by the time he reached halfway into the Fulham half he had to stop, not one of our players was anywhere near him and he was forced to pass backwards. Austin should have put in a lung busting run to get in the box.

Hughes is responsible for those decisions and it hurt to see Ranairi in their dugout as we could have had him.

We have good players Lemina, Holberg, Yoshida, Gabbadini, Redmond, Armstrong, and McCarthy, were all better than their opposite numbers but if you don't have the other 4 players to support them you have a problem.

That should be it for Hughes but I hope they have someone decent to replace him and not a stop gap.

Great day out, I enjoyed the pub, the walk, and the sailing/rowing.Shame about the footie. Oh well bring on Utd.

Well, when we're in the Championship next season, we can use him, because Lemina will be snapped up by a top team either here or in Europe.
I reckon we well lose quite a few one way or the other. Could be an interesting match up with the blue few next year, but players like Reed could be important for us.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me why we bought a big slow defender to sure up our back four against powerful strikers only to not play him against the exact type of centre forward that bullied us last year? I am not sure Vestagaard is up to much, but if there was one game you wanted him on the pitch this was it. Mitrovic bullied the **** out of us. He gets himself in the right position and then becomes an immovable object. Obviously he got on the end of things for his goals too, but for me leading the line is just as important.

I have no doubts about Austin getting on the end of things, but **** me he wins nothing in the air and fails completely when ti comes to bully centre backs. If you are going to have striker that wins nothing in the air it may as well be Gabiadini. He looks sharp, offers good movement and should be played down the middle not out wide. We bought Elyounoussi to replace Tadic. Why is he not playing? Not good enough? Well why did we buy him then?

Going forward we looked decent. Redmond was outstanding, winning tackles and beating players all day long. The biggest issue was the quality of crossing from the side as a whole. It got better as the game went on, but far far to may crosses were simply ****.

At the back however it was a **** show. Cedric is just rubbish. His best asset of the game is stopping wingers, but he failed abysmally, not getting tight enough or doing enough. We all know his failings in the air, but if he is getting rings run round him then what does he offer. Not decent crossing thats for sure. I have little doubt people will say Target did alright, but he didn't do anything really, except for one decent cross all day. He can control a football and pass it, but in terms of supporting the attack he is so passive. He just jogs forward then passes it square. Get to the byeline FFS. Defensively he went missing for their first goal and his lack of pace was shown up dreadfully when Kamara just waltzed past him in the second half. Collectively the back four will have us relegated. It was woeful last season and its the same four/five players. They are so average. If a CB gets dragged out wide we are dead. Hoedt's error cost us the third goal. Overall he was not horrific, but he just has too many errors in him and for a big man does not dominate a striker. Bad combination. I am not sure who failed to mark Mitrovic, but Hoedt should be stuck to him like glue.

McCarthy 8 - could not fault him for the goals and made one great save to stop it going to 3-1 shortly before we scored

Cedric - 3 - cant head, cross and now stopping dribbles is an issue. Jesus.

Hoedt - 3 too many headed goals against us. If he cant win a header why is he in the side? Some good and some bad distribution.

Yoshida - 3 also has to take responsibility for the headed goals. Distribution left a lot to be desired.

Targett - 4 takes the safe option all the time. Still slow as ****. Where the hell was he for the goals? That might be harsh, but I was hoping to see a player that has blossomed after his loan. He hasn't. He is still bang average. Great first touch and keeps the ball well, but that is pretty much it.

Hojberg 7 - he and Mario dominated the midfield. Some very poor passes, but overall very good. The one question mark is when we get done on the break. Are either CM doing enough to protect the CBs?

Lemina - 8 Excellent game. Everywhere and didn't lose the ball all day. Drove into space to make things happen.

Armstrong 6 - Second goal is a beauty, and yes he scored two goals, but he was largely anonymous, which accounts for the middling mark. He moved about, but never seemed to get the ball. If you play in the hole then you need to run the game. It might that Fulham were so deep that there wasn't space.

Gabiadini 6 - lots of movement, usually unfound, looked very sharp and was a problem when he came inside. Annoys the ****s out of me how he jumps for headers but gets underneath them. It looks like He isn't really trying to win them. Just going through the motion. Should have buried the chance in the first half. Not sure how he didn't score.

Redmond 9 - not sure what more he could have done in the game.

Obafemi - 7 - came on and made things happen. Looked sharp, but perhaps should have scored after a great first touch beat the defender. Ball was rising a bit.

Fans were not happy as you would imagine. Boos when balls went astray after going behind the second and third time. Hoedt was booed after his error. Some fans cheered when Austin was subbed. Getting sacked in the morning sung by most Saints fans after final whistle.

Austin 2 - did nothing and shortly before he was taken off it actually looked like he had given up. Just didn't even jump

Edited by Chez

Cedric is having a mare of a season. Defensively he is poor. He is by far the weakest link not least because he is small. Sessegnon did him up like a kipper before crossing for the second goal. Mitrovic pulled onto him at the back post (I've lost count of the times that happens and often ends in a goal) and he promptly lost him because he wasn't watching the ball as he was facing the wrong way. He is an awful defender and his delivery wouldn't do justice to a Roman catapult.

Give Stephens or Bednarek a go at right back both are defensively better than Cedric and we won't miss his awful crossing. Again and again Fulham ran through an empty midfield and carved up our outnumbered central defenders. Lamina is pleasing to the eye but what did he create? He needs to make those mazy dribbles further up the field if he plays. I think Romeu and Hojbjerg would be a more solid central midfield. Armstrong as he showed today and for Scotland this week is a good player. Play him in front of Romeu and Hojbjerg with Gabbiadini or Lamina and Redmond either side behind Ings. Time to give Vestergaard another go with Yoshida. We were mugged today again.

And then just maybe a new d̶a̶w̶n̶ administration followed by a points deduction and drop to League 1 or lower.

Corrected for you. :toppa:

Cedric is having a mare of a season. Defensively he is poor. He is by far the weakest link not least because he is small. Sessegnon did him up like a kipper before crossing for the second goal. Mitrovic pulled onto him at the back post (I've lost count of the times that happens and often ends in a goal) and he promptly lost him because he wasn't watching the ball as he was facing the wrong way. He is an awful defender and his delivery wouldn't do justice to a Roman catapult.

It amazes me that the managers have not seen this weakness as well as Hoedt. If I was an opposing manager Id get the team working on isolating Cedric for any tall forward

Time to give Vestergaard another go with Yoshida. We were mugged today again.
do not understand why this hasn't been used to this point. Maybe it the same reason as with Hughes not playing Gabiadini after a great preseason, the manager is ****ing clueless.

Pleased to see Armstrong get a couple of goals, hopefully that will help his confidence.

But another dreadful result. We shouldn't be conceding 3 goals against teams like Fulham.

Not sure where we go from here to be perfectly honest. The team Hughes put out today is more or less as good as it gets. Some will argue a better manager is the way forward, I personally don't know if the squad is capable of much more than a relegation scrap.

This sums up my thoughts, entertaining fixture but a terrible result.

Going forward we looked OK, Austin was a dead weight again, thought Lemina was Decent, defensively we are awful.

Ings and Bertrand improve the team put out today, only marginally though. People will blame Hughes but ultimately the squad just is no where near as strong as it once was, we need additions not just from a quality perspective but from a character perspective too, the squads temperament is so tepid we need some aggression, players who know how to manage a game, see it out

Hoedt has been a terrible addition.

What's with the needlessly aggressive stance about a hypothetical team? You can have a difference of opinion. Personally if give Reed a go considering he is in form in the championship. Many of our players aren't even championship standard.

Where was the aggression? You expressed an opinion, I expressed an opinion. We disagreed on some part of it. No need to be so defensive.

Do you think this team would do better?

Gunn

Bednarek yoshida Stephens Targett

Sims hojbjerg Reed Armstrong

Gallagher obafemi

I reckon that team would beat today's team.

its a terrible side. Its a terrible squad. Hughes is poor, but not sure who would keep us up with this lot. The summer signings get worse every year. Instead of strengthen, we seem to just get weaker. The more we spend the worse we get. And to think we are paying this shower of **** well over £100m a year. Well over. No one will sign any of these jokers next summer and we face financial ruin...again.