Wes Hoedt - Loaned to Antwerp: Official

Cabbage_Face

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-22/wesley-hoedt-signs-for-southampton

Vice Chairman (Football) Les Reed said: “Wesley is one of the most promising young defenders in Europe and represents a significant addition to our squad. Having procured a Champions League finalist from one Italian club we have now added an Italian Supercoppa winner from another.

“We believe he has all the qualities to play a big part in our future, and we have worked hard to bring him to Southampton, with a number of other high-profile clubs interested in him.

"Finding a top quality central defender is difficult in the current environment and now we have six internationals in this position, both young and experienced.

"Finding a naturally left-footed player is even more difficult. We have been tracking central defenders on our target list for the past 12 months and Wesley has always been at the top of that list, so it was important to act when the opportunity came.”

Wesley has proven his talent through his performances for Lazio, as well as the Netherlands, and we believe he can develop even further here at Southampton, alongside his international teammate Virgil van Dijk, as well as the likes of Jack Stephens, Maya Yoshida, Jan Bednarek and Florin Gardos.

“With Wesley joining those players, we believe we have the right amount of quality, depth and flexibility at centre-back to help us achieve our aims this season.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope that answered your question!

My favourite line... "as well as the likes of Jack Stephens, Maya Yoshida, Jan Bednarek and Florin Gardos." :lol:

Hoedt latest:

@AdamBlackmore: #saintsfc manager Ralph Hasenhüttl no-nonsense today: Like Gabbiadini, Wesley Hoedt doesn’t suit his style and should maybe look for another club

No plans to include Fraser Forster in first team - could play for the U23s so other clubs can look at him. Refreshingly candid

Intrigued to know what style hoedt does suit.

He's no better or worse than a dozen or more CBs we've had over the years. Brilliant on their day; a nightmare on others. We got spoilt with VVD - players like that come around only every 10 years or so.

In record time it seems. Probably the quickest Hoedt has moved anywhere in his time with us.

But, how on earth are we going to get rid of him? No other club would pay a fee for him, would they? I guess the best hope is that we can persuade another club to take him on loan if we agree to pay part of his wages.

It really makes you wonder why we spent so much money in transfer fees and wages on players like Hoedt, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, Boufal and Vestergaard.

But, how on earth are we going to get rid of him? No other club would pay a fee for him, would they? I guess the best hope is that we can persuade another club to take him on loan if we agree to pay part of his wages.

It really makes you wonder why we spent so much money in transfer fees and wages on players like Hoedt, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, Boufal and Vestergaard.

blackbox got infected with virus.

We paid a lot for Boufal because he has superb technique and off the back of an excellent season when he scored for fun.

We paid a lot for Elyounoussi because he had Champion's League experience and a decent record albeit in a poor domestic league. Someone obviously thought he might be the next Mane.

We paid a lot for Carrillo because our manager wanted him, we were desperate for a striker, and there is little value in the Jan window.

We paid a lot for Hoedt because he had experience playing for a good team in Italy although he wasn't a nailed on starter he did play a few games.

We paid a lot for Vestergaard due to decent finishes in the Bundesleague and Champions League experience, along with our central defenders being awful at heading the ball.

All of these transfers were risks. Some players don't adapt well to English football and none of the above have fully managed to.

I still think Boufal has the ability to do it, even Carrillo might be OK in a limited sort of way, he just cost us far too much for a player with poor technical ability and no pace.

Elyounoussi I have no idea about, really. He actually created a decent number of chances in his first couple of games, but since then he's been getting progressively worse. Maybe he's completely lost his confidence?

If anything Hoedt seems over-confident and lacking badly in concentration. I think he'll never really succeed in the Premier League. Vestergaard has got a little bit better but he's always going to be slow off the mark and have the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. He might be OK with the right defenders along side him, but he has some definite physical limitations to overcome.

We paid a lot for Boufal because he has superb technique and off the back of an excellent season when he scored for fun.

We paid a lot for Elyounoussi because he had Champion's League experience and a decent record albeit in a poor domestic league. Someone obviously thought he might be the next Mane.

We paid a lot for Carrillo because our manager wanted him, we were desperate for a striker, and there is little value in the Jan window.

We paid a lot for Hoedt because he had experience playing for a good team in Italy although he wasn't a nailed on starter he did play a few games.

We paid a lot for Vestergaard due to decent finishes in the Bundesleague and Champions League experience, along with our central defenders being awful at heading the ball.

All of these transfers were risks. Some players don't adapt well to English football and none of the above have fully managed to.

I still think Boufal has the ability to do it, even Carrillo might be OK in a limited sort of way, he just cost us far too much for a player with poor technical ability and no pace.

Elyounoussi I have no idea about, really. He actually created a decent number of chances in his first couple of games, but since then he's been getting progressively worse. Maybe he's completely lost his confidence?

If anything Hoedt seems over-confident and lacking badly in concentration. I think he'll never really succeed in the Premier League. Vestergaard has got a little bit better but he's always going to be slow off the mark and have the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. He might be OK with the right defenders along side him, but he has some definite physical limitations to overcome.

All fair points, and also reasons why at the time I was encouraged because we were signing the "right type of players". The caveat of course is that most of these descriptions are based on what's on paper - eg club, goals scored, position in table, height etc. You would expect a Premier League scouting department to actually watch the players in action and make a good call on their quality and suitability for the league.

The right type of player but not actually the right player smacks of leaning too heavily on names churned out by the infamous black box. Either that or Scouts who don't know what they should be looking for.

blackbox got infected with virus.

Les and Ross.

• 2 weeks later...
Dutch media reporting that Hoedt is in Spain now to finalize the deal. 6 month loan with option to buy with it being announced tomorrow.

Good stuff. Wonder how much of his wages they are paying. Sky running similar, now.

CELTA IN HOEDT TALKS

Celta Vigo are in talks with Southampton over a deal to sign centre-back Wesley Hoedt, Sky Sports News understands.

The two clubs are in discussions over an initial loan deal with a view to buying the 24-year-old in the summer.

New Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttel recently admitted Hoedt was free to leave St Mary’s this month, having not featured since he succeeded Mark Hughes in December.

SSN reported earlier this month that Celta had been in talks with Crystal Palace over a similar deal for their defender Jairo Riedewald.

Shame, Hoedt has been bloody awful, making absolutely awful mistakes every game. Loses concentration and has a unwarranted high opinion of himself. But with a decent loan, some good coaching and some humble pie I'm sure he could become a top CB. He is a technically very good player, hope we don't come to regret the option to buy part of his deal.

Shame, Hoedt has been bloody awful, making absolutely awful mistakes every game. Loses concentration and has a unwarranted high opinion of himself. But with a decent loan, some good coaching and some humble pie I'm sure he could become a top CB. He is a technically very good player, hope we don't come to regret the option to buy part of his deal.

Possible, but doubtful IMO. Celta are playing roulette getting him in when they are so close to the relegation zone. Maybe Spain will suit him.

Hopefully they are paying a good chunk of his wages & we're getting a decent loan fee.

How do you go from bloody awful to a top CB?

FWIW, I think that’s impossible for him... he’s that sh1t.

...rather than go through a series of loans until his contract runs out.
this is exactly what will happen with all our failed signings. I'd be surprised if we saw a transfer fee for any of them. It will simply be a case of trying to get as much of their wages paid as possible and then writing off their transfer fee/value over the lifetime of their contracts. Financially very painful indeed.

Can someone provide an example of this "attitude" of his that people keep talking about? He's a truly dreadful player but I've never seen anything that suggests there's anything wrong with him personally.

His attitude is well known at St Marys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you go from bloody awful to a top CB?

FWIW, I think that’s impossible for him... he’s that sh1t.

Hard work, playing in a settled team and with good coaching. Needs help with his concentration. It can be done. Technically he is a very good player, but his mind tells him he is too good to make mistakes. It's called naivety and inexperience. He was found out in the PL and needs to learn, and to do that he needs to be in a different place. The loan is exactly what's needed, just not sure about the option to buy. He is still young for a CB, time is on his side. Would also help if he was playing alongside some experience, as he was promised when he joined (VvD).

Hard work, playing in a settled team and with good coaching. Needs help with his concentration. It can be done. Technically he is a very good player, but his mind tells him he is too good to make mistakes. It's called naivety and inexperience. He was found out in the PL and needs to learn, and to do that he needs to be in a different place. The loan is exactly what's needed, just not sure about the option to buy. He is still young for a CB, time is on his side. Would also help if he was playing alongside some experience, as he was promised when he joined (VvD).

Jesus, he isn’t a good defender. Look at his highlights and Lazio stint. This whole

Technical nonsense is a lie, I saw him often not even be able to kick a ball into touch being 5 yards from the line. If Ralph has binned him after 1 month, I’m inclined to believe he is useless and his attitude isn’t great......

Can someone provide an example of this "attitude" of his that people keep talking about? He's a truly dreadful player but I've never seen anything that suggests there's anything wrong with him personally.

We've had this conversation before, go listen to any of his Radio Solent interviews

The fact that RH has given EVERY other first team player a chance, except this clown, says it all.

Hoedt is a first class *****. Pleased he'll never play for us again.

I'll take "Things that will never happen for $400 Alex".

The fact that RH has given EVERY other first team player a chance, except this clown, says it all.

Hoedt is a first class *****. Pleased he'll never play for us again.

Would you say that to his face? No, thought not. Poor signing but a decent player, just didn’t work out here. Let’s just move on.

There was also this interview where he gave off the impression he couldn't understand why he was behind Virgil Van Dijk in the pecking order... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wesley-hoedt-ready-to-come-in-from-the-cold-at-southampton-5tb2wb6xw

What a prat Hoedt is. Quite apart from his inflated opinion of his ability, he really is not very good. One footed, clumsy, poor balance and positionally naive. He reminds me of a poor version of Jos Hooiveld, who was an average player but a much superior human being.

Would you say that to his face? No, thought not. Poor signing but a decent player, just didn’t work out here. Let’s just move on.

Professionally, he's a massive bellend, Derek. Why wouldn't anyone not say that to his face?

I wouldn’t think twice about saying it to his face.

Or yours for that matter.