Wes Hoedt - Loaned to Antwerp: Official

Cabbage_Face

Marca believe Wesley Hoedt’s move from Southampton to Celta Vigo is a sure thing, presenting it as something which has happened rather than something which may happen.

The Spanish newspaper say the defender is arriving on loan for the rest of the current season, and can even make his debut for Celta on Sunday against Valladolid.

Rather than playing at the weekend being a hope, it’s said to be the intention of those in charge at the Spanish club.

Celta’s local newspaper, La Voz de Galicia, aren’t quite so confident… but still reckon the move is happening.

They say the Southampton player is actually in Vigo right now, but that the two clubs are still negotiating the final details of a transfer.

Hoedt is ‘close’ to becoming the first winter signing of the Galician club. An agreement is expected to be found in the ‘next few hours’ and then the player can be presented.

La Voz say Celta will have a purchase option at the end of the loan period.

The Southampton player is an alternative to Crystal Palace’s Jairo Reidewald.

Celta Vigo and Crystal Palace had been in talks for Reidewald’s move, but it’s now thought he’s likelier to join Betis.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-exit-given-done-player-can-debut-weekend/

It wasn't that long ago that Bednarek was getting tons of flak on here. Hoedt has played for his country so must have something about him. Okay, so it didnt work out here for him but hopefully the move will do him good and we will get our money back too.

David Nugent, Chris Kirkland, Ade Akinbiyi, Conor Salmon, Michael Ricketts, etc etc all played for their countires. Doesn't mean alot if that country is also struggling at the time.

Which one?

Bugger me that Fulham display was something wasn't it.

I didn't think he was too bad in that Fulham game actually, but he made one or two dreadful errors. Which admittedly, is not acceptable, especially when you seem to do it every game. But he also did a lot of decent things in that match. I saw him play a lot worse, but by Fulham everyone had decided he was public enemy number 1 so anything good was ignored and anything bad was jumped on.

Will Yoshida, Stephens, Bednarek, Vestergaard +1 youth (Jones/Ramsey?) be enough for the rest of the season? Or do we think we will definitely see an incoming centre back?

Surely if we continue to play 3 at the back we need another CB. (We’ve obviously been looking from the Mepham links...)

As for Hoedt, it’s obvious Hasenhuttl didn’t rate him from the word go, so no loss really.

It wasn't that long ago that Bednarek was getting tons of flak on here. Hoedt has played for his country so must have something about him. Okay, so it didnt work out here for him but hopefully the move will do him good and we will get our money back too.

Vestergaard was a **** after the Cardiff game.

David Nugent, Chris Kirkland, Ade Akinbiyi, Conor Salmon, Michael Ricketts, etc etc all played for their countires. Doesn't mean alot if that country is also struggling at the time.

So all of those mentioned were playing crap at the time they were selected? Players can show potential and then not go on to realise it. Players can go through purple patches and then hit a downturn in form. Hoedt showed enough previously to be signed by a Premiership club and to be selected to play for his country so he clearly impressed somebody. Still, once you are condemned by this place that's it for your career eh Cabbage? Makes you wonder why the likes of JWP and Jan Bednarek stayed with us ;). It is a shame to see any one fail here, but some seem to take a great delight in it to the extent that they carrying on slagging these people off long after they have gone (see Puel etc).

Southampton defender Wesley Hoedt has joined Celta Vigo on loan until the end of the season, the club can confirm.

The centre-back today completed a move to the La Liga side, who will also have an option to buy him in the summer.

Hoedt, 24, joins up with another Saints loanee, Sofiane Boufal, who is already with the Spanish club on a season-long deal.

The Dutch defender has made 13 appearances this term, but has not featured under Ralph Hasenhüttl, with his last action coming in late November.

Hoedt’s move will allow him to gain additional playing time between now and the end of the season, while also further helping Hasenhüttl to achieve his aim of trimming the first-team squad this month.

The club would like to wish Wesley good luck for the rest of the season.

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-01-22/wesley-hoedt-southampton-celta-vigo-loan-agreement

So that's percentages of Davis, Gabbi and Hoedt wages gone.

Impressive, I thought we'd be lumbered with Hoedt for ages. Hopefully a spot for an incoming has free'd up now.

I get the impression that Goa will let all transfer money raised go back into the club.

With just the Gabby 12 million we don’t really have much to play with.

Come the summer all those on loan must be sold which will give us about 50 million.

Then you have the likes of Elloynessi, Austin, Cedric that could raise you 25 million.

Reckon 75 million will be enough to bring in 3 class players plus a couple of promising youngsters.

trouble is the reason we have loaned out all these players is no one fancies paying there wages. I cant see that changing unless they have storming seasons which Carillo and Boufal are not doing. Not sure who is gonna pay us 50mil for them

yep that's the big issue unfortunately.

we have what must be the top 10 highest wages in the PL- I'd say top 6, Everton, Leicester and West Ham only pay more.

trouble is the reason we have loaned out all these players is no one fancies paying there wages. I cant see that changing unless they have storming seasons which Carillo and Boufal are not doing. Not sure who is gonna pay us 50mil for them

Goa must have contacts at some Chinese football clubs. They always pay good for average players.

Trust someone defending Pellegrino (the next Fergie?) and Hughes coming to the rescue of this ****.

Just a shame we can’t fully shift Hoedt off the books and free up money for needed reinforcements elsewhere.

Are you talking about the post by sadoldgit?

Powell, Davenport, Lancashire and Bennett were all worse. Also Trottman.

Watching Bennett wonder why the ball bounced so high whilst getting his positioning horrifically wrong every single time gave my grandad hope that he could dust off his boots and toe punt some forwards again.

Easily the worst centre back we’ve had

Wesley Hoedt on his ‘very strange’ Southampton treatment, ‘never had clear explanation’

Wesley Hoedt is on loan at Celta Vigo for the rest of the current season, with some Spanish sources explaining there’s a buying option for the Galician club in the summer window.

Ralph Hasenhüttl clearly wasn’t a fan of the defender and since the manager’s arrival, Hoedt hadn’t played a minute for the Saints.

There’s a mixed reaction in Spain, where two things have been pointed out.

Firstly, Celta need someone ready to play immediately, and Hoedt hasn’t appeared since November. Secondly, Spanish newspaper AS today published a brief article explaining Southampton’s goals conceded record has been much better since the Dutchman was dropped.

Hoedt obviously doesn’t quite see things that way and speaking to the media in his own country he’s explained that his treatment at the Premier League club hasn’t made a great deal of sense, and nobody has taken the time to talk him through it.

Quoted by Noordhollands Dagblad, the defender said: “It’s been very strange. I played everything. Almost fifty games in a row I was in the starting line up and I played ninety minutes. Until I suddenly came to be at the side of it. I never had a clear explanation.”

Asked if he has an urge for revenge and will be looking to prove something at Celta, Hoedt responded: “No, I do not feel that way. What I said: I just want to continue with what I was doing. I did well at Lazio and at Southampton. I want to continue that here.”

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/wesley-hoedt-strange-southampton-treatment-never-explanation/

"I did well" :D

The clear explanation is that he was always gash and none of our so called managers could see that as they couldn’t judge a player for toffee. Then we got one who could. Sorry, Wesley, but you are my least favourite Saints player I think ever. Arrogant twonk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May have to translate the page but saintsweb gets a mention here

https://foro.delcelta.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26577&sid=654254c8f0723b07e1c8f40b2b9150cf&start=120

Someone on there's worried as they're aware of Lazio fans having a giggle at what we paid for him

Thanks god you can right click on chrome and translate. Odd they keep calling him a "Turtle"

The fact he thinks he did well here says it all, too high an opinion of himself and a complete berk.

He played 50 games in a row, maybe, but we lost most of them. No surprise we're better now he's out of the team.

Good riddence to bad rubbish. The most uncomfortable looking defender i've ever had to watch.