Leicester (p) 0-0 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Are we actually hammering our goalkeeper for not saving any penalties in the lottery of a shoot out?

How quickly people forget him saving penalties in the previous round.

He's played three games for us, kept two clean sheets and we haven't lost a match in 90 minutes.

A stupid person might think he's had a very promising start to his Saints career...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

two terrible sides....all a bit meh

Man United get a last minute winner, just to boost the confidence too

We we're not in any way terrible. I was there. On this occasion we really were the better side and very unlucky not to win.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hit the crossbar twice, miss an open goal, have a (apparently) perfectly good goal disallowed by VAR and ended up losing in sudden death in a penalty shoot out.

Is it possible to just forfeit a season?

Unfortunately it wasn't a good goal. The Redmond handball was right in front of me and clear.

We we're not in any way terrible. I was there. On this occasion we really were the better side and very unlucky not to win.

For me, this is why we either have terrible players or terrible coaches.

You play solid at the back but can’t score. Play more fluidly in defence to accommodate our attacking threat but end up conceding more than we score.

Hughes was a deadly finisher but why couldn’t he score here as a player - and why can’t he coach our strikers to score?

We are as good as down.

Actually felt for the lads tonight, some young guys and guys with little playing time out there tonight, and I don't feel like they could've done much more. They seemed genuinely surprised by the positive reaction from our end after the penalties, stood there and took it in for longer than I expected.

Thought Vestegaard was good at what he had to do, distribution very good, not massively tested but then I see that as a reflection of our defensive organisation as a whole. Wing backs were unspectacular, but I'll absolutely take that, they never looked troubled and that's what I want from a full back, huge disappointment to see Cedric have to come on for Targett. Lemina brilliant as per, some of the stuff he does is effortless. Classic Hojbjerg, lots of effort and passion, little quality, Targett made a great run in the second half which needed a simple through ball down the left wing and everyone in the ground but Hoj could see it, sadly. That is symptomatic of our problems the last couple of seasons for me, just delayed passes and people on different wave lengths slowing us down all the time. Armstrong and Redmond both hard working and lively, only a few moments of quality between them but decent performances from both. Obafemi worked hard and was a great outlet, definitely something we've been missing, missed a sitter but it looked like he panicked and overthought what he had to do. I liked his presence and I hope he starts the next game to be honest, he chases lost causes which is something we're desperate for and is why Long gets games despite his obvious shortcomings, because no one else can do it until now.

Overall very unlucky, and the irony of us being harshly refused a goal by VAR when we've had so many high profile incidents where VAR would've saved us recently was painful. But a massive shoutout to the 1500 or so of us that made it up there tonight and actually supported, rather than just watched, the team. I do actually think Austin had a point the other day when he tweeted about us getting behind the team, it's more of a problem at St. Mary's than away but sometimes we are quick to turn and whilst we have plenty of justification in doing so at times, it can't help performances. Tonight we were behind them from the off, and I've no doubt having a few youngsters on the pitch played a part in this, I didn't hear anyone groan when Valery or Obafemi chose the wrong option and went backwards - It seems so simple to me that if you're a manager under pressure, include a couple of youngsters to get a buzz back in the crowd, but manager's seem so reluctant to do so.

Actually felt for the lads tonight, some young guys and guys with little playing time out there tonight, and I don't feel like they could've done much more. They seemed genuinely surprised by the positive reaction from our end after the penalties, stood there and took it in for longer than I expected.

Thought Vestegaard was good at what he had to do, distribution very good, not massively tested but then I see that as a reflection of our defensive organisation as a whole. Wing backs were unspectacular, but I'll absolutely take that, they never looked troubled and that's what I want from a full back, huge disappointment to see Cedric have to come on for Targett. Lemina brilliant as per, some of the stuff he does is effortless. Classic Hojbjerg, lots of effort and passion, little quality, Targett made a great run in the second half which needed a simple through ball down the left wing and everyone in the ground but Hoj could see it, sadly. That is symptomatic of our problems the last couple of seasons for me, just delayed passes and people on different wave lengths slowing us down all the time. Armstrong and Redmond both hard working and lively, only a few moments of quality between them but decent performances from both. Obafemi worked hard and was a great outlet, definitely something we've been missing, missed a sitter but it looked like he panicked and overthought what he had to do. I liked his presence and I hope he starts the next game to be honest, he chases lost causes which is something we're desperate for and is why Long gets games despite his obvious shortcomings, because no one else can do it until now.

Overall very unlucky, and the irony of us being harshly refused a goal by VAR when we've had so many high profile incidents where VAR would've saved us recently was painful. But a massive shoutout to the 1500 or so of us that made it up there tonight and actually supported, rather than just watched, the team. I do actually think Austin had a point the other day when he tweeted about us getting behind the team, it's more of a problem at St. Mary's than away but sometimes we are quick to turn and whilst we have plenty of justification in doing so at times, it can't help performances. Tonight we were behind them from the off, and I've no doubt having a few youngsters on the pitch played a part in this, I didn't hear anyone groan when Valery or Obafemi chose the wrong option and went backwards - It seems so simple to me that if you're a manager under pressure, include a couple of youngsters to get a buzz back in the crowd, but manager's seem so reluctant to do so.

Great post and completely agree with all of that.

Anyone seen that bit in Master and Commander when the Jonah jumps over the side?
Hughes would only go the same way if they replaced the cannon ball with a briefcase full of cash.

(Great film, btw. It's a great shame it flopped at the box office as they had a row of sequels lined up.)

Agree with Saintwbu's post completely. A good summary. Can see why the goal was chalked off by VAR but felt it was harsh. I was a supporter of VAR before hand, especially with the shocking decisions we've had against us in recent years, but this was my first match where I've attended where VAR is used and I felt it sucked the life out of the game. Really not being implemented very well at all.

Anyway, thought we played pretty well, especially the second half. Leicester posed us barely any threat and when we did get turned, we had good coverage from our defense. Vesti in particular looked strong and commanding. Most players had decent games actually, some missed passes and shocking shots, but overall thought we deserved the win.

Finally, thought the referee was abysmal. Every time one of our players went for the ball, the Leicester player would throw himself to the ground and get a free kick. It was really embarrassing to be honest and is slowly chipping away at my love of football. Still, a decent night in Leicester, which included a full 3 course curry for £15.90 for the both of us at Nawaaz on London Road, highly recommended for the 12th January when we are next back there. Won't be £15 a ticket for that one, I'm sure.

Are we actually hammering our goalkeeper for not saving any penalties in the lottery of a shoot out?

How quickly people forget him saving penalties in the previous round.

He's played three games for us, kept two clean sheets and we haven't lost a match in 90 minutes.

A stupid person might think he's had a very promising start to his Saints career...

It's not the fact that he didn't save any that concerns people. It's the fact that he was clowning around on the line trying to distract the takers and then didn't even get close to saving any of them.

Finally, thought the referee was abysmal. Every time one of our players went for the ball, the Leicester player would throw himself to the ground and get a free kick. It was really embarrassing to be honest and is slowly chipping away at my love of football.

Roger East is one of the best pub team standard referees out there. Either he doesn't realise that football is a contact sport, or he is not intelligent enough to recognise gamesmanship in players. Debatable whether he is worse than the fourth official though, when the match commentators and replays show that he can't the tell the difference between ball to hand and hand to ball. He probably thought that Leicester deserved to have it chalked off in sympathy for their recent tragedy. But what is the point in VAR if the officials are no more capable of making the correct decision anyway? Ironic that this goal would probably have stood without VAR, whereas the goal scored by Austin against Watford would probably have stood with VAR. Either way, we lose out.

It's not the fact that he didn't save any that concerns people. It's the fact that he was clowning around on the line trying to distract the takers and then didn't even get close to saving any of them.
IMO, there was only one, or maybe two that he'd have had a chance with if he'd gone the right way.

A couple were blasted down the middle which I guess was why he decided to try standing still

Roger East is one of the best pub team standard referees out there. Either he doesn't realise that football is a contact sport, or he is not intelligent enough to recognise gamesmanship in players. Debatable whether he is worse than the fourth official though, when the match commentators and replays show that he can't the tell the difference between ball to hand and hand to ball. He probably thought that Leicester deserved to have it chalked off in sympathy for their recent tragedy. But what is the point in VAR if the officials are no more capable of making the correct decision anyway? Ironic that this goal would probably have stood without VAR, whereas the goal scored by Austin against Watford would probably have stood with VAR. Either way, we lose out.

Don’t be a tasteless idiot Les. FWIW people at the game said it was a clear handball.

One of the benefits he has picked up from having a team of top goalkeeping coaches to improve his game.

IMO, there was only one, or maybe two that he'd have had a chance with if he'd gone the right way.

A couple were blasted down the middle which I guess was why he decided to try standing still

I think it was more that he didn't look ready when Vardy & Mendy struck the ball. Difficult, because it might have put them off and then he'd be labelled a master of mind games or whatever, but when it doesn't work you look a bit silly.

Don’t be a tasteless idiot Les. FWIW people at the game said it was a clear handball.

We all knew it hit his hand, I said to the guy next to me as soon as the ref touched his ear we knew it was for the hand. In my opinion if your hand changes the direction of the ball or gains a clear advantage, it should be handball. But that’s not the rule, it has to be ‘deliberate’ and that was about as far from deliberate as you can get, someone smashed it up into him. The rule can’t be changed to fit the scenario, because we scored it’s contentious so rule it out. It’s like we were punished for our moaning for VAR last time out.

I don't know if I can feel for them anymore though to be honest. This is just a recurring theme now, never score, get 'unlucky', and lose. 3 seasons.

5 wins out of what, 48 games? Yeah, these players are just losers. Ingrained losers.

We all knew it hit his hand, I said to the guy next to me as soon as the ref touched his ear we knew it was for the hand. In my opinion if your hand changes the direction of the ball or gains a clear advantage, it should be handball. But that’s not the rule, it has to be ‘deliberate’ and that was about as far from deliberate as you can get, someone smashed it up into him. The rule can’t be changed to fit the scenario, because we scored it’s contentious so rule it out. It’s like we were punished for our moaning for VAR last time out.

That was solents view last night yes the ball hit his hand be there was no intention or anything Redmond could do so not deliberate so not a handball.

Was the 3 at the back a random change because it was 2nd string or is Hughes going back to it?

Good to see some of the younger players make an impression. Was this '2nd string' considering how bad Austin, Cedric, Hoedt etc. have been, you'd think there has to be a chance the likes of Valery, Obafemi, Vestergaard etc. will get into the starting team, at least they might have a little more confidence about them having not really been involved in the last two years of decline.

Have to wonder what Vestergaard has done, I think for a centre-back coming into the league he has been ok but seems to have dropped out the first team picture completely but of the 8 points we have achieved, he's been involved in 6 of them.

Don't knock Salisbury and district league. Always need a ref.

I don't know if I can feel for them anymore though to be honest. This is just a recurring theme now, never score, get 'unlucky', and lose. 3 seasons.

5 wins out of what, 48 games? Yeah, these players are just losers. Ingrained losers.

I get what you mean, but as I said, this was a team largely made up of players that haven’t played much this season so I felt for them that their attempt to make a case for being regular was hindered but some bad luck. For me that team is pretty close to what should next game,, they’ve earned it.

If we can't score in normal time we don't deserve anything. A pity as a cup run, even against ManCity would have been a good opportunity towards resolving our attacking and defensive issues.

I get what you mean, but as I said, this was a team largely made up of players that haven’t played much this season so I felt for them that their attempt to make a case for being regular was hindered but some bad luck. For me that team is pretty close to what should next game,, they’ve earned it.

As an afterthought on the VAR incident, I'm still not happy that it seems the video ref can choose to review anything he/she chooses, effectively becoming a super-ref with the power to overrule.

As far as I'm aware, the ref last night gave our goal without seeing the need to review, do I assume the intervention came from the video ref.

I think that's wrong. We need a system in which the ref can refer anything he's unsure about with the added right of a fixed number of appeals from captains only, the appeal not lost if upheld, but the VAR can't come into use unless someone on the field asks.

Roger East was the referee in the Watford 2 Saints 2 game last Jan when Doucoure punched in their last min equaliser. Perhaps he's just crap.

Roger East was the referee in the Watford 2 Saints 2 game last Jan when Doucoure punched in their last min equaliser. Perhaps he's just crap.

Yes, he is absolutely crap, quite possibly the worst referee in the PL, apart from maybe that other one we had recently for the Newcastle match, I think, who was a beginner in the top division and had both sets of fans chanting "you don't know what you're doing." As I said, pub team league standard.Thanks for informing me that he was the actual tw*t that refereed the Watford match last season and missed Decoure's handball goal. That comes as no surprise to me at all. He was therefore responsible for a poor decision along with others, that took us within an inch of getting relegated last season then.

As an afterthought on the VAR incident, I'm still not happy that it seems the video ref can choose to review anything he/she chooses, effectively becoming a super-ref with the power to overrule.

As far as I'm aware, the ref last night gave our goal without seeing the need to review, do I assume the intervention came from the video ref.

I think that's wrong. We need a system in which the ref can refer anything he's unsure about with the added right of a fixed number of appeals from captains only, the appeal not lost if upheld, but the VAR can't come into use unless someone on the field asks.

Agree with what you are saying to a point. But VAR is meant to be there to pick up the things that the referee on the field fails to see - therefore the VAR officials will always alert the ref to review something if they think it's warranted. They are also looking at game changing decisions, which obviously we all want them to get right. Last night it went against us - but in future games it could work for us.

My main issue with VAR is that it is still the subject of somebodies 'opinion or interpretation' of what happened in a lot of cases, and if the on field ref is asked to review something, then immediately they may think that they have made the wrong decision and feel pressured into reversing that decision, because somebody else is questioning it. I'm not really a fan of VAR just yet - work in progress for me.

He was also the referee who disallowed Liverpool's third goal at St Marys just before half-time in March 2016 which prevented them from going 3-0 up. A game that we went on to win 3-2. The Watford decision was down to his assistant who had a much better view of the incident than he had. Last night was the VAR decision. Never mind, blame the ref. Lets not let facts get in the way of a good slagging off.

The best bit about the officials last night for me was Lemina (i think) fouling their defender practically on the goal line, and Leicester taking the free kick to the left of the edge of the penalty area. The whole Saints end was roaring at the linesman and he seemed completely torn between flagging the ref and just pretending nothing was happening. Naturally, like 99% of the officials at this level, he completely ****ing bottled it and just ran off. ****s.