Southampton FC Youth future Stars

ally_uk

Alright lads hope you are well.

With things being a bit gloomy at Southampton FC at the moment I thought I would focus on the future and our young players. As I am out of the loop.

Who would you say are the top ten youth players we currently have on the books with potential to break through. What attributes do you think set them apart?

Who is this Enzo Robise lad aswell?

I agree that Vokins, Klarer and Valery could make it but when ever I have seem him play I have been quite impressed with Aaron O'Driscoll at CB. Slattery seems to have stagnated over the last year or so but Smallbone has come on well. Others such as O'Connor, Johnson, Barnes and Alfie Jones should make a living in the game at some level.

I fear for any youngsters stepping in to this team. It rarely comes off, putting youngsters into a failing first team. Obafemi looks sharp but his misses will be eating away at his confidence, especially as the general mental state of the team is so fragile. If we continue with him, he needs a goal soon to settle him down. Equally I hope that Valery is able to put some genuine pressure on Cedric, who needs the competition for his place.

Alfie Jones has looked good in the past so I hope he comes back from his loan spell a bit more hardened. Very difficult, and therefore rare, for a young centre back to make it without taking a step down first. Clubs like us just can’t take the gamble.

Vokins looks mature for his age, though still a bit young and might be hampered by having Bertrand and Targett in front of him. Slattery has clearly been earmarked as the ‘gem’ of his age group, but I wonder if he has struggled to find his proper position. I haven’t seen much of the 23s this season but in the past he has looked like someone who was struggling to understand what was expected of him. I hope he has settled into playing in one position so he can learn that trade. He may finally be the one to solve the no10 conundrum which we have tried to solve since we signed Gaston Ramirez. But I think he still has a way to go before he is there.

But again, the future of these players all depends on us finding a successful formula in the first team. They need to be knocking on the door of a successful team, and we need the right manager who understands when to give them their chance and when to take them out of the firing line. We are a way off from that right now.