• Yoshida
    • Cedric
    • PEH
    • Lemina
    • Armstrong
    • Redmond
    • Obafemi
    • Gabbi

So, that was better....! But.....but....we still threw away a position of strength, which yet again underlines the fragility of this squad. I will say though, that I liked the way we stood resolved in the 2nd half as I did fear the worse. I don't think we'll ever get Man Utd as 'there for the taking' as they were today though. They were diabolical.

Lemina was my MOTM, he is running his arse off right now without a doubt. Putting in a complete shift everywhere on the pitch, proper box to box.

Obafemi gave us an outlet through the middle with his pace and directness, so that was a positive.

Redmond was direct, although his final pass at times was typical of him and average. (good for the first goal though)

Overall it was frustrating and yet another game not won at home, but it was better and I come away feeling somewhat fulfilled. More than I have in a long time at St Mary's.

Our centre backs are weak, Vestergaard is like a anchor trying to move

Lemina obviously turnt up because it's United..... Wink wink

Redmond was great

Valery and Obefemi both have potential good to see faith put in our youth, About time...

Backed United before KO @ evens LOST £60

Backed United when we were 2-0 @ 7/1 LOST £60

Backed the draw when we were 2-0. £50 @ 10/3 WON £216.66

Invested £170 won £216.66 so up c£45

So goes in some way to recoup your losses after the Leicester match.

I agree and if Hughes wants to play 3 central defenders then those 3: Stephens, Yoshida and Bednarek. Hoedt and Vestergaard should be sold at the earliest available opportunity and the money reinvested in a player who can cope in the Premier League.

It says a lot about our failure in recruitment of centre backs if our best options now are genuinely Stephens, Bednarek and Yoshida! But I fear you are correct on this occasion.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thought Vestergaard was pretty good overall. Yes he's slow to get back, but I can remember VVD pulling people back once or twice because he knew he was about to get outpaced, and Fonte was no sprinter.

Today though I thought he kept his position well overall, and he was strong and got the better of Lukaku regularly which is no mean feat.

Valery was right infront of me for the first half. He pinned himself to the touchline for most of it, but was rarely in a position that you'd want to pass it to him. Didn't move enough or look for space in my opinion. Didn't have much impact.

That said, when the opposition had the ball he knew his job better....closed down, occasionally very strong in the tackle and dispossessed well once or twice. Not a bad debut.

Our centre backs are weak, Vestergaard is like a anchor trying to move

Lemina obviously turnt up because it's United..... Wink wink

Redmond was great

Valery and Obefemi both have potential good to see faith put in our youth, About time...

Yeah I agree, just like when he turned up against Leicester's second string on Tuesday night in front of half a stadium, only turns up for the big games!!! Our best player, and normally shows it in every game he plays.

Thought Vestergaard was pretty good overall. Yes he's slow to get back, but I can remember VVD pulling people back once or twice because he knew he was about to get outpaced, and Fonte was no sprinter.

Today though I thought he kept his position well overall, and he was strong and got the better of Lukaku regularly which is no mean feat.

Maybe, but watch him on both goals, just trotting back without a care in the world. He practically gave up on the 2nd. Is it too much to ask for these guys to give every last ounce of energy?

No guts, no glory.

Utd were dog turd given the value of the squad and so it can be said that we were the better team on the day. Problem as ever is that we miss that extra quality in attack and in the defence. Thought we absolutely bossed midfield - Lemina in particular was really good. Redmond still frustrates...there’s signs of a decent player, but his decision making and final ball are sometimes poor. The CB’s Hughes used are probably the best option we have right now, so I’d keep that....seems to work. Armstrong is finally starting to show some real class...hard working and has a decent shot in him.

Hughes will be given more time...probably see what happens in the window and then a couple of games, but I think we could be bottom by 1st January without 3 wins.

Valery was right infront of me for the first half. He pinned himself to the touchline for most of it, but was rarely in a position that you'd want to pass it to him. Didn't move enough or look for space in my opinion. Didn't have much impact.

That said, when the opposition had the ball he knew his job better....closed down, occasionally very strong in the tackle and dispossessed well once or twice. Not a bad debut.

I thought Valery was pretty solid defensively didn't really get beaten stuck to his task probably better than Cedric in that respect (I particularly liked in the second half when, I think it was Pogba, tried to get past him with some fancy footwork and he just stepped in front of the player and took the ball) he didn't give us much going forward though didn't really seem to have the pace of trickery to make much happen in the opposition final third.

Valery had a very promising debut. Massive game for the lad and he did exactly the right thing, kept it simple in possession and covered his defensive position well. With a bit more confidence in sure we'll see him make more forward runs as he does for the U23's.

Funny how some people were slagging the academy for not producing any players who could fit into the first team but yesterday we had 2 of them on the pitch and they both did well.

Valery had a very promising debut. Massive game for the lad and he did exactly the right thing, kept it simple in possession and covered his defensive position well. With a bit more confidence in sure we'll see him make more forward runs as he does for the U23's.

Funny how some people were slagging the academy for not producing any players who could fit into the first team but yesterday we had 2 of them on the pitch and they both did well.

Let’s see if they play again when everyone is fit. I don’t see it personally

Let’s see if they play again when everyone is fit. I don’t see it personally

Probably not Hughes will, no doubt, revert to "experienced players" once they have recovered from injuries but he has a point in that neither of the two young lads looked out of their depth certainly no worse than our experienced players so maybe our managers (and fans) should trust our youth a bit more.

I agree and if Hughes wants to play 3 central defenders then those 3: Stephens, Yoshida and Bednarek. Hoedt and Vestergaard should be sold at the earliest available opportunity and the money reinvested in a player who can cope in the Premier League.

After just seeing the goals on MOTD agree. FFS Vestergaard was supposed to be the remedy to our CB shortcomings. What was it £19m for slow dumb defending like that on both goals. Sadly Yoshida was sh!t in both cases as well. If we can’t sort this we are ****ed because we’ll always concede even when we play well.

Probably not Hughes will, no doubt, revert to "experienced players" once they have recovered from injuries but he has a point in that neither of the two young lads looked out of their depth certainly no worse than our experienced players so maybe our managers (and fans) should trust our youth a bit more.

fair point

I would have Obefemi over Austin and Long any day of the week

Austin has been atrocious this season. Actually is like having someone sent off

16 points after week 15 last season, 9 points after 14 this season, and that was with arguably along with Branfoot the worst manager in our history. We are playing better than last season but not getting the results. From watching the games, the players are playing for Hughes but he can’t keep saying apart from the obvious teams that we must win and not be held accountable when we don’t. 9 wins required to hit 36 points which is what we scraped last season. Definitely require 3 points from the next 2 games or I’m sure he’ll be gone.

Positives :

Well we were mostly predicting a loss, so taken in isolation a draw against Man U is a positive result.

We are starting to score some goals, Armstromg, Lemina and Redmond are looking the business, and Ings set to return soon. Obi a handful for the opposition, doing what Austin is supposed to do but never has this season.

Liked the line up, no Austin , Long and Heodt. Hope Hughes sticks to this at least.

Great strike from Cedric, we need to set this up more if we can.

Didn't capitulate 2nd half when Man Utd expected to go on and win.

Negatives :

Man Utd looked as poor as I've ever seen them and were there for the taking.

Goals conceded again from defensive mistakes. Vest and Yoshi the culprits this time. The Citeh game skews it a little but we're averaging 2 goals a game conceded. If we don't put this right we've had it. At the moment Vest looks a liability, slow (forgivable for a CB) and poor positioning sometimes, nowhere near Lukaku for their first.

Obi injured.

Our next 6 games may define our season. If we can get 8+ points we have a chance. The teams around us are picking up wins here and there, we need to do the same.

I couldn't follow the game at all but it sounds like a good point, decent performance but opportunity for a win lost.

Seems like we might have had a penalty late on (on Obafemi) and Pogba was immune from a second yellow because of his star status.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Maybe, but watch him on both goals, just trotting back without a care in the world. He practically gave up on the 2nd. Is it too much to ask for these guys to give every last ounce of energy?

No guts, no glory.

Yeah, couldn't see their goals properly from where I sit, but just seen them on MOTD. Vestergaard needs to take some responsibility for both of them.

Yeah, couldn't see their goals properly from where I sit, but just seen them on MOTD. Vestergaard needs to take some responsibility for both of them.

His lack of pace was painfully exposed for the first and he sold himself completely for the second.

Stephens also needs to take responsibility for the second, stood like a statue as Herrera ran in front of him.

His lack of pace was painfully exposed for the first and he sold himself completely for the second.

Stephens also needs to take responsibility for the second, stood like a statue as Herrera ran in front of him.

Yoshida the main culprit for both goals, and the keeper didn’t exactly cover himself in glory for the second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought we played quite well for the most part yesterday but our defence is shocking. 6 minutes of pathetic defending and we've handed them two goals. None of our CBs are Premier League quality, forum favourite Maya Yoshida was abysmal for both of the goals and JV was horribly out of position. McCarthy didn't cover himself in glory for the 2nd goal either. Quite disappointing that we didn't win that - United were very very poor.

Redmond and Lemina were excellent imo. I've been a massive critic of Redmond since he joined but this season he's doing what people want him to do, running at players. It's a shame his end product is poor but maybe if he can get one then it'll give him some much needed confidence on that front. Obefemi worked hard, hope his injury isn't that serious. Great finish from Armstrong and some good play in the build up from Redmond and Obefemi.

One thing that I didn't understand were our free kicks, we had 2 more shooting opportunities from free kicks after Cedric put his in the top corner but he didn't take either? Instead we had poor free kick attempts from Redmond(?) and Gabbi.

Without an end product you cannot be MOM. Redmond you are part of the problem not the solution.

Comments like that just show how foolish al out of our fan base is. I’m surprised in you Andy.

He was made MOM by neutrals who watch the game without negative views beforehand.

Backed United before KO @ evens LOST £60

Backed United when we were 2-0 @ 7/1 LOST £60

Backed the draw when we were 2-0. £50 @ 10/3 WON £216.66

Invested £170 won £216.66 so up c£45

friendly bit of advice, you are obviously staking a decent amount to there, if you win it is not life changing but go on a losing run it is life changing. Bring your stake down to a fiver, and you still can get the feeling of beating the bookie

friendly bit of advice, you are obviously staking a decent amount to there, if you win it is not life changing but go on a losing run it is life changing. Bring your stake down to a fiver, and you still can get the feeling of beating the bookie

It's all right. It is only monopoly money he plays with.

Whereas if you're just completely making sh*te up to look like some sort of big shot, money bags, grand-master of sports betting, to try and get attention from strangers on the internet; you're a bit sad and your life isn't changing either way.

I've been betting against us for the last few seasons.

Insurance bets I call em, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Up over £10k since Koeman left.

I've been betting against us for the last few seasons.

Insurance bets I call em, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Up over £10k since Koeman left.

So in 3 years you have earned an average of £60 a week. An outlay of £30k I would suggest. Better returns putting crap on eBay I would have thought

So in 3 years you have earned an average of £60 a week. An outlay of £30k I would suggest. Better returns putting crap on eBay I would have thought

Selling **** on eBay doesn't soften the blow of yet another Saints winless game.

5 wins in c45. This is easy money

Us Saints fans have needed to suffer badly the past few seasons. I've suffered but have also paid for holidays of the back of our incompetence and mismanagement.

Trust me a Saints defeat and nothing is alot worse than a Saints defeat and £700

Selling **** on eBay doesn't soften the blow of yet another Saints winless game.

5 wins in c45. This is easy money

Us Saints fans have needed to suffer badly the past few seasons. I've suffered but have also paid for holidays of the back of our incompetence and mismanagement.

Trust me a Saints defeat and nothing is alot worse than a Saints defeat and £700

how much do you have to put on to win £700 on a saints defeat?

I backed Chelsea to beat us last season before KO and then again after 60 minutes when we went 2 ahead.

Chelsea were something like 16/1 at that stage. Chelsea scored 3 in 8 minutes

Backed Utd to draw/win when we went 2-0 down on Saturday - printing money.

If we're not losing with 10 mins to go its normally a safe bet to back us to lose, or draw if we're ahead.

A couple of observations on McCarthy

1. He seems to regularly handle outside the penalty area when kicking upfield out of hand.

Lino's dont seem to be in position to notice this so may not be a problem but perhaps one day?

2. When kicking from hand he gets too much height on the clearance which means the advantage goes to the opposition which, to be fair, is not difficult as since Pelle we have no forward with any aerial presence.

McCarthy should be advised to lower the trajectory of his clearances, similar to those Jordan Pickford makes for Everton

Small things but surprised our goal keeping coaches havent mentioned them