Spurs v Saints Build-up Thread...

SuperSAINT

According to the FA/PL Suspensions web page, Hoj is not suspended. Before the weekend games only Lemina and Cedric were "one caution away", Lemina picked up his 5th, but Hoj was apparently not on 4 (despite what many commentatots, pundits etc were saying). Actually the site has been updated in the last hour since I looked and it confirms Cedric and Hoj now on 4 cautions.

That said, hope Hoj has a better game than yesterday, guilty of bad mistake for the 2nd goal and overall had a poor game, not sure he is really the right man to be captain.

Yeh agreed on PEH. Not sure he is captain material either.

McCarthy

Valery Stephens bednarek yoshida targett

Davis

Redmond hojberg

Armstrong

Elyounessi

Subs

Gunn, Cedric, vestergaard, jwp, Romeu, gabbi, Barnes

Given how obafemi pulled up i’d Assume it would be a big risk to play him.

Not sure away to spurs is really one that suits gabbi & Austin is awful, only real option I can see is trying elyounessi further forward. Can’t see us getting anything but hopefully we can show spirit and keep it close.

McCarthy

Valery Stephens bednarek yoshida targett

Davis

Redmond hojberg

Armstrong

Elyounessi

Subs

Gunn, Cedric, vestergaard, jwp, Romeu, gabbi, Barnes

Given how obafemi pulled up i’d Assume it would be a big risk to play him.

Not sure away to spurs is really one that suits gabbi & Austin is awful, only real option I can see is trying elyounessi further forward. Can’t see us getting anything but hopefully we can show spirit and keep it close.

I know it's only an opinion but you would seriously start with no striker. Picking Davo as DM is also a bit nuts, he is very poor there, his strength is behind the strikers, and anyway we have Romeu. Lastly Barnes cannot play, even on the Bench, he is not in the PL squad.

I know it's only an opinion but you would seriously start with no striker. Picking Davo as DM is also a bit nuts, he is very poor there, his strength is behind the strikers, and anyway we have Romeu. Lastly Barnes cannot play, even on the Bench, he is not in the PL squad.

Options are very limited. So going to spurs and playing with pace up top seems preferable and that’s taking a gamble with Redmond or elyounessi. Gabbi is hardly a lead the line striker and Austin is a waste of space.

Forgot Barnes isn’t eligible. That’ll teach me for not putting Austin on bench to weigh it down.

Think Davis gives more mobility than Romeu which is why I plumped for him.

Elyounoussi has pace?! When did this happen?

That team would get battered. In Stephens’ absence, many people seem to have decided he is an improvement on Hoedt. He isn’t. Davis is never a holding midfielder and even in his preferred role he’s well past it.

Yeah, that's a common misconception. He's as slow as all hell.

Technically good, but certainly needs pace around him, otherwise he's just pointless

Just watched the Kelvin Davis interview on the OS:

God, the poor guy looked (and sounded) shellshocked. He didn't do a bad job of it all told, and the focus on the concentration of the team, and the stability of preparation for the Spurs game without fuss was really quite stoic and impressive.

Nice to hear that Hughes was classy and encouraging to the team even as he was being sacked, and Kelv was very genuine about what it meant (and didn't mean) for him personally. Didn't appreciate that KD also has a dry sense of humour in there too...

Nice to hear Kelv say that "it's up to the guys upstairs" instead of the generic "you'll have to ask the chairman about that". Hehe. Also: "body count" in relation to injuries. Ha!

Loads of tickets left in the home end. we've more or less sold out our 2,700.

Would be great to get some kind of result up there, especially after last Boxing Day's fiasco.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/tottenhamhotspur/EDP/

Event/Index/8428/?icn=t1819&ics=ticketshomeweb&_ga=2.174845410.1929885357.1543935919-1479233236.1543935919

Think I just bought the last ticket. Unfortunately I assumed collection meant Wembley not St Mary's and I live in London! **** Anyone know how accommodating the ticket office can be in this situ.

Think I just bought the last ticket. Unfortunately I assumed collection meant Wembley not St Mary's and I live in London! **** Anyone know how accommodating the ticket office can be in this situ.

I rang them for a similar situation at Leicester last week and they just said they’d reserve it at the King Power for me. Give them a call first thing tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be p1ssing it down, and with luck we'll get a point. Spurs will be knackered after Chelsea, Inter and Arsenal with Barca coming up in a week's time.

One thing though - can we get a song going for Nathan Redmond? He's played his socks off in the last few games, and he seems to thrive on encouragement.

I'd suggest the Leroy Sane song Man City have....

Nathan, oh Nathan Redmond goes down the wing for me

Doo doo, doo doo doo, doo doo, doo doo doo etc

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be p1ssing it down, and with luck we'll get a point. Spurs will be knackered after Chelsea, Inter and Arsenal with Barca coming up in a week's time.

One thing though - can we get a song going for Nathan Redmond? He's played his socks off in the last few games, and he seems to thrive on encouragement.

I'd suggest the Leroy Sane song Man City have....

Nathan, oh Nathan Redmond goes down the wing for me

Doo doo, doo doo doo, doo doo, doo doo doo etc

Edited by trousers

I actually agree with starting with no out-and-out striker and made a similar suggestion a couple of games back.

An AM line of Redmond Armstrong and Gabbiadini.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I actually agree with starting with no out-and-out striker and made a similar suggestion a couple of games back.

An AM line of Redmond Armstrong and Gabbiadini.

You've still got a striker though, just because you are ostensibly playing him as an AM, he is still someone whose skill/instincy is apparently be a striker/score goals.

How different life could've been...

From the BBC: Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino on facing his previous club: "I care a lot for Southampton... I have spoken with my family and I think it was one of the better periods in my life.

"We found some amazing people there, an amazing town and they provided us with everything to make us feel at home.

"They have the tools to lift [themselves] from [their] situation but tomorrow we compete and we need to win the three points."

How different life could've been...

From the BBC: Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino on facing his previous club: "I care a lot for Southampton... I have spoken with my family and I think it was one of the better periods in my life.

"We found some amazing people there, an amazing town and they provided us with everything to make us feel at home.

"They have the tools to lift [themselves] from [their] situation but tomorrow we compete and we need to win the three points."

Yeah but that Sunderland FA cup!line up

Wondering is Super Kelv will be inclined to give the youth more of a chance, I don't think anybody is really expecting to see us get anything out of this game - a chance for Gallagher perhaps (or is he injured)? Vertonghen is suspended and Foyth has been fairly shocking the times I've watched him (including vs Arsenal), there's definitely errors in their team and we could get a goal or two. Still, can't see us shipping less than 3 goals.

McCarthy

Cedric Yoshida Stephens Targett

Romeu Holbjerg

JWP Armstrong Redmond

Gabbiadini

If Targett not fit then Cedric as LB and Valery as RB, shame we loaned McQueen out eh?

McQueen has a bad injury. He's returned for treatment but probably out all season.

Would really expect the players to step it up a gear tonight to try and impress RaHa. Could be an entertaining game.

Yep, was thinking this. Maximum effort and closing down (I assume they've done some research on the new boss), but expect half of them to be knackered by 60 mins. Still not expecting much but you never know, might be the lift the players need!

Yep, was thinking this. Maximum effort and closing down (I assume they've done some research on the new boss), but expect half of them to be knackered by 60 mins. Still not expecting much but you never know, might be the lift the players need!

Eurgh, true. Our players fitness levels have been really poor for some time now. Reflects very badly indeed on Puel (well, obviously), Pellegrino and Hughes. RaHa is going to need to dramatically improve that if we want to stay up.

Players and coaches have just met the new manager. Bit of a buzz about the place. First since Koeman. SKD has picked what looks like a team that will work its socks off. Probably the best choice imo.

In which case, guess we're looking something like the following starting 11....?

---------------------------------- McCarthy ----------------------------------

------------ Stephens ------------ Yoshida ------------ Bednarek -----------

Cedric ---------------------------------------------------------------- Targett

----------------------------------- Romeu ------------------------------------

---------- Hojbjerg ------------ Armstrong ------------- Redmond ---------

---------------------------------- Obefemi ------------------------------------

(or JWP in for one of the 3 CBs if playing a back 4)