Ralph Hasenhuttl

SuperSAINT

Nice to see that Slattery has been hung drawn and quartered by the forum Gossip girls.

Who needs confirmation, facts or explanations when the "fans" are happy to bypass and throw as much mud as possible.

Join the queue Slattery..... Get behind Austin, Lemina, Forster for a SWF beating

Nice to see that Slattery has been hung drawn and quartered by the forum Gossip girls.

Who needs confirmation, facts or explanations when the "fans" are happy to bypass and throw as much mud as possible.

Join the queue Slattery..... Get behind Austin, Lemina, Forster for a SWF beating

Exactly - these fans are everything that's wrong with modern day football.

I completely agree with you ..... :scared:

Just on another tangent away from slating people based on rumours..... yes yes I know thats what we all do.

I wonder what type of yoga Ralph does ? Probably improves his mindfulness and I saw an article the other day that the Merc F1 team are doing mediation as well to improve their performance.

Maybe we can see yoga or meditation become part of the daily training ?

Given how much everyone is wedded to their phones nowadays, 45mins being quiet and alone with their thoughts might scare some of our guys.

Always makes me a bit sad when a player is criticised for an alleged attitude problem when no one has any idea or clue what the player is actually like. Of course we're entitled to an opinion on their performance, level of skill, stamina etc - basically anything that happens on the pitch but outside of that and it's just guesswork. Add that to the double-think scenario where player A is slagged off for supposedly wanting to leave and player B is slagged off for wanting to sit on his contract and not move and it's just bizarre.

Stupid Slattery. But his attitude off the field is poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You base that opinion on what? The lad spent a fortnight before pre season working his nuts off at golden ring to get ready for pre season. That's a great attitude imo.

Good article that, can't fault Ralph's enthusiasm.

Also confirms the trip to China is a waste of time, going for as short as possible and just taking a handful of first team players. Makes sense, experience will be good for youngsters and first team can concentrate on fitness at the Ireland training camp.

• 2 weeks later...
Just on another tangent away from slating people based on rumours..... yes yes I know thats what we all do.

I wonder what type of yoga Ralph does ? Probably improves his mindfulness and I saw an article the other day that the Merc F1 team are doing mediation as well to improve their performance.

Maybe we can see yoga or meditation become part of the daily training ?

Given how much everyone is wedded to their phones nowadays, 45mins being quiet and alone with their thoughts might scare some of our guys.

Most of the people locally that I know who practice Yoga and Meditation are raving nutters and nervous wrecks!

Haven't listened to this yet, but there's a 12 minute Ralph interview by Adam Blackmore here:

@solentsport:

- Summer signings

- Future transfers

- Players futures

- New season preparations

A lot covered when @AdamBlackmore caught up with Southanpton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl #SaintsFC

Didn't ask some particular interesting questions.

Would have liked to have heard about Boufal's situation. Does he want to see him training before making a decision of whether he wants to keep him?

When are he and Moussa Djenepo back for pre-season?

Yep I have listened. Not much more to add than was discussed at the fand forum. He clearly wants some more players in, but we need the deadwood out first. In the mean time its wip. I just wonder if frustration will get the better of him if we have not progressed in 10 months

Would love to think we could achieve a top 10 finish this coming season, but I didn’t see such a significant step up in results to be honest...yes an improvement but not to that degree. Without making a clear improvement in our central defence I can see another lower half finish. Remember, our new additions are not tested at Prem level and other teams will improve too, so there’s not a great deal to get really excited about just yet...cautious optimism at best.��

I'm much encouraged by our attacking options this year, but worrying about possible defensive errors again, an area that does not seem to have been strengthened since last season. Still, games will be exciting again.

Always makes me a bit sad when a player is criticised for an alleged attitude problem when no one has any idea or clue what the player is actually like. Of course we're entitled to an opinion on their performance, level of skill, stamina etc - basically anything that happens on the pitch but outside of that and it's just guesswork. Add that to the double-think scenario where player A is slagged off for supposedly wanting to leave and player B is slagged off for wanting to sit on his contract and not move and it's just bizarre.

Well said

"We will never buy players for 30-40m"

Bit disappointing. When he said he wouldn't buy for 40-50m before I thought that was probably fair but you'd hope if the right player was available for 30m we could be in for them eg. Phillips of Leeds. After all, clubs like Newcastle, West Ham, Leceister, Everton can spend that plus the top 6. We don't want to be fundamentally be forced to always be in the bottom half of the table max-spending wise.

Bit disappointing. When he said he wouldn't buy for 40-50m before I thought that was probably fair but you'd hope if the right player was available for 30m we could be in for them eg. Phillips of Leeds. After all, clubs like Newcastle, West Ham, Leceister, Everton can spend that plus the top 6. We don't want to be fundamentally be forced to always be in the bottom half of the table max-spending wise.

The owner's ambitions extend to us scraping survival so he can park some cash here and boost his reputation in China. It's not surprising.

And what have Newcastle, West Ham and Everton won by spending this...………….Nothing

The owner's ambitions extend to us scraping survival so he can park some cash here and boost his reputation in China. It's not surprising.

Makes perfect business sense. I remember saying some years ago, if you could guarantee survival ie 17th every year with the minimum outlay, then it would make good business sense.

It would cost a fortune to compete in the top half of the league and probably result in a budget deficit. You need a rich owner to do that. Alternatively, you keep selling the best players every year, which works well if you consistently unearth some hidden gems.

Makes perfect business sense. I remember saying some years ago, if you could guarantee survival ie 17th every year with the minimum outlay, then it would make good business sense.

It would cost a fortune to compete in the top half of the league and probably result in a budget deficit. You need a rich owner to do that. Alternatively, you keep selling the best players every year, which works well if you consistently unearth some hidden gems.

Totally disagree.

Good management and hard working players with a promising youth academy can get you into the top 10.

We finally have 90% of that and I would be disappointed if we finished anywhere near 17th.

I despair of Saints fans who still don't understand the Saints business model.

We develop our own players and/or buy young players with potential, who we accept we'll sell on, hopefully at a profit, when they're ready to move on.

We don't buy into the media/agent hyped myth that simply spending more on players has merit in itself. It amazes me how gullible fans can be. The "values" put on some players are ridiculous.

How much did Fulham spend last season? What good did it do them? I seem to recall that Spurs spent nothing, finished top four and reached a European final.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

With Potch, Koeman, and Puel we finished in the top 8 four seasons running, and without spending £20 million on a player.

Come on, in today’s terms and taking account of inflation, some of the fees we paid would be considerably higher.

We develop our own players and/or buy young players with potential, who we accept we'll sell on, hopefully at a profit, when they're ready to move on.

We don't buy into the media/agent hyped myth that simply spending more on players has merit in itself. It amazes me how gullible fans can be. The "values" put on some players are ridiculous.

How much did Fulham spend last season? What good did it do them? I seem to recall that Spurs spent nothing, finished top four and reached a European final.

Ralph said as much in a press conference at the tail end of last year, if you are accepting of that strategy then as a fan you are willing to accept enjoying the performance of a player while they are with us. Unfortunately recently acquisitions to do a Mane have been more buy and hope rather than a considered purchase. When you factor in the last 3 managers before Ralph, 2 were relatively unknown and the last a bit of a Dinosaur, possibly the management were unable to or unwilling to buy into the club philosophy, just managing players rather than improving them into a viable commodity to contribute to the underlaying business strategy of the club to survive in the Mickey Mouse money world of the Premier League.

The wrongly maligned (in some quarters on here) Sir Clive Woodward had a system called “one percenters” which was to improve a players performance by 1% during each training session, that system won a Rugby World Cup, that same training system was applied by the England ODI Cricket team over the past 4 years. Claude May have had that in him - but the players weren’t buying into it or him (anyone stood on the terrace in Prague watching us fumble along and watching CP tearing his hair out as they repeatedly ignored him would have noted that) MoPe just developed us into a team of poor defenders, Hughes just tried to manage in world that had moved on beyond his skill set. With Ralph’s press conference comments last season we seem to be heading back towards a course to buy, develop, and sell on at a stonking profit. Hopefully he is on a percentage.

One thing is for certain buying in nippers who haven’t been overly polluted with other teams training methods gives him a chance to work with a blank canvas and make the return of the Southampton Way succeed as it did up until the departure of Koeman.

As a fan if you are accepting, (even reluctantly), of this policy as Ralph seems to be, as long as the production line is churning out players to smear the noses of the big boys across their faces during the season, during their time with us, like we did under, Pochettino and Koeman. If you walk out of the ground with a smile on your face at the final whistle that’s all you basically want as fan.

Edited by John Boy Saint

Unless you inherit world class academy players, spending money is a necessary but insufficient condition to achieving success. End of.

Fulham bought a lot and spent a lot... Got relegated

Wolves bought a lot and spent a lot... Finished 7th

Huddersfield bought little and spent little... Got relegated

Spurs bought little and spent little.... Finished top 6 and CL final

For every "example" of how not to do things. There is a club doing the same and getting the opposite outcome

Do we have many examples of clubs selling the best players constantly and succeeding longterm?

If the club is stupid enough to continue with the formula that has driven our heavy Les Reed lead decline then the club has learned v little

No club (no business) will survive without investment

Come on, in today’s terms and taking account of inflation, some of the fees we paid would be considerably higher.

Over 50% inflation in 2 seasons since Puel ? For a club of our size and commercial power that's something we could never hope to keep up with.

For every "example" of how not to do things. There is a club doing the same and getting the opposite outcome

Do we have many examples of clubs selling the best players constantly and succeeding longterm?

If the club is stupid enough to continue with the formula that has driven our heavy Les Reed lead decline then the club has learned v little

It can be argued our decline started when we started to spend more.

And your examples just prove my point. Big spending doesn't guarantee success and you can be successful through development and coaching. Shrewd spending at any level helps.

Spurs last season disprove this.

Didn't I caveat the statement by saying "inherit world class players" (never mind they spent £30m on a player nearly three years ago = £50m+ in today's terms? and have ramped up their spending this season).

The general trend is undeniable: money is a necessary but insufficient condition for success.

Edited by shurlock

Many clubs in Europe do such as Dortmund, Sevilla, Ajax, Porto/Benfica, perhaps Monaco before too. However, in the PL, none in fairness.

But defining success is key too- because I think our ambitions purely lie in just staying in the PL and hoping to have that odd season or two here and there where we do finish in the top 10, or even somehow by chance in the top 8- then sell those stars off, and then rinse and repeat.

In that regard, whilst certainly cutting it fine in the last two seasons, we have been successful.

In a world where proven top league ability now seems to start around the £50-60m mark, and the very best players are all £100m+, the kind of young players with potential we used to buy are already £20-30m+.

You think a player with Mane's goal scoring record and European experience would still be £12m? Look at the contrast between his record prior to joining us and Djenepo's over two seasons in a similar quality league (45 goals 32 assists vs 12 goals 7 assists) - I'm hopeful that the latter will be as effective and exciting to watch, but in terms of demonstrable productivity, there's no comparison.

If we'll never buy players above £30m, we're already priced out of the running for the next Mane.

While you lot have been bickering over some complete nonsense a really good article about our Ralph has appeared on t'net :

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/07/23/how-ralph-hasenhuttl-inspired-ingolstadts-rise-from-the-cusp-of-the-third-tier-to-the-bundesliga/

Well worth a read and should inspire some confidence in our current direction

The curious part there is the statement that Ingolstadt's defence was solid but they wern't the best going forward. Very positive article mind.

Many clubs in Europe do such as Dortmund, Sevilla, Ajax, Porto/Benfica, perhaps Monaco before too. However, in the PL, none in fairness.

But defining success is key too- because I think our ambitions purely lie in just staying in the PL and hoping to have that odd season or two here and there where we do finish in the top 10, or even somehow by chance in the top 8- then sell those stars off, and then rinse and repeat.

In that regard, whilst certainly cutting it fine in the last two seasons, we have been successful.

Chelsea have consistently sold some (but not all) of their best players, often when they are still very young, like Kevin de Bruyne, Mo Salah, Lukaku, Courtois and Eden Hazard. But, it has cost them top spot.

In a world where proven top league ability now seems to start around the £50-60m mark, and the very best players are all £100m+, the kind of young players with potential we used to buy are already £20-30m+.

You think a player with Mane's goal scoring record and European experience would still be £12m? Look at the contrast between his record prior to joining us and Djenepo's over two seasons in a similar quality league (45 goals 32 assists vs 12 goals 7 assists) - I'm hopeful that the latter will be as effective and exciting to watch, but in terms of demonstrable productivity, there's no comparison.

If we'll never buy players above £30m, we're already priced out of the running for the next Mane.

probably more sensible to invest £30m in the academy and catching them young, as Chelsea appear to be doing across the south of England

While you lot have been bickering over some complete nonsense a really good article about our Ralph has appeared on t'net :

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/07/23/how-ralph-hasenhuttl-inspired-ingolstadts-rise-from-the-cusp-of-the-third-tier-to-the-bundesliga/

Well worth a read and should inspire some confidence in our current direction

Great read and yes it does inspire confidence, we will have a decent season, of that I have no doubt

probably more sensible to invest £30m in the academy and catching them young, as Chelsea appear to be doing across the south of England

Chelsea have been doing that for last 15 years.

Don’t you think we are doing the same?

We have teams from u8s up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree. Although it is nerve racking to support a club that adopts this strategy and you have to think eventually that we will end up the wrong side of the cut off line.

And shipping them out on loan across Europe - with very few academy products getting a meagre sniff of first team football at Chelsea that’s why that Hudson-Odoi wanted out, the lad just wants to play football. But because Chelsea keep spending stupid money on players in that position the obligation is to play X who cost gazillions and is paid £100k+ pw over a player who cost nowt by comparison................hang on they bought that lad from Germany in January for mental money then loaned him straight back: the lad they bought plays in the same position as young Callum and is the same age (I think).

Like has been said already, Saints hoover up kids at 8, those who make it are more likely to play first team football with us. And with the system in place likely to make heaps more money over their career than the poor sods running around in blue up in Cobham.