Ralph Hasenhuttl

SuperSAINT

Makes perfect business sense. I remember saying some years ago, if you could guarantee survival ie 17th every year with the minimum outlay, then it would make good business sense.

It would cost a fortune to compete in the top half of the league and probably result in a budget deficit. You need a rich owner to do that. Alternatively, you keep selling the best players every year, which works well if you consistently unearth some hidden gems.

And if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

Didn't I caveat the statement by saying "inherit world class players" (never mind they spent £30m on a player nearly three years ago = £50m+ in today's terms? and have ramped up their spending this season).

The general trend is undeniable: money is a necessary but insufficient condition for success.

Here are the "inherited world class players" you talked about (quite how a club "inherits" a player I'm not quite sure) :

Screen-Shot-2016-02-04-at-15.59.23.png

Didn't exactly take a lot of money to assemble did they, which kind of challenges your suggestion that money is a necessary condition for success.

A well-run club with an inspirational manager (something we used to have and now, thankfully, have again), good scouting and an above average academy can go a long way.

Spurs and Leicester are good examples as to how to achieve success without having megabucks.

Here are the "inherited world class players" you talked about (quite how a club "inherits" a player I'm not quite sure) :

Didn't exactly take a lot of money to assemble did they, which kind of challenges your suggestion that money is a necessary condition for success.

A well-run club with an inspirational manager (something we used to have and now, thankfully, have again), good scouting and an above average academy can go a long way.

Spurs and Leicester are good examples as to how to achieve success without having megabucks.

Apples and oranges to some extent - some of those players have been there quite a few years when their fees - £22m, £15m, £11m - was a lot at the time comparatively. I agree they haven't spent what Liverpool, Man U, City have, and to some extent Chelsea and the Gunners, but Spurs just splashed out a big fee this summer that would have been two years' budget under Gao. They have outspent Saints for a long time and since the 80s. Also there are players such as Lamela who were very expensive who didn't appear there.

I take your broader point and yes, an inspirational manager (Nigel, Poch, Ronald, Ralph) is vital. Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes were lousy hires. It also helped Spurs with Paul Mitchell moving - look at our dealings before and after. This summer I think will be the best since 2014-15.

You don't get Ajax's best player for £11.5m anymore.

Apples and oranges to some extent - some of those players have been there quite a few years when their fees - £22m, £15m, £11m - was a lot at the time comparatively. I agree they haven't spent what Liverpool, Man U, City have, and to some extent Chelsea and the Gunners, but Spurs just splashed out a big fee this summer that would have been two years' budget under Gao. They have outspent Saints for a long time and since the 80s. Also there are players such as Lamela who were very expensive who didn't appear there.

I take your broader point and yes, an inspirational manager (Nigel, Poch, Ronald, Ralph) is vital. Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes were lousy hires. It also helped Spurs with Paul Mitchell moving - look at our dealings before and after. This summer I think will be the best since 2014-15.

Also missing is Sissoko who for many spurs supporters and insiders was their player of the season. If every team could unearth a Harry Kane, they would - sides have invested far more in their academies than us and haven’t come close yet it’s held up as a feasible strategy by some.

As you say, citing raw player values without taking account of the year they were signed and the role of inflation is sloppy apples and oranges. Never mind that even if we could claim that spurs practiced what others are preaching, the exception doesn’t prove the rule.

I wonder is baggytrousers a reference to the fact that he’s so full of s**t?

Also missing is Sissoko who for many spurs supporters and insiders was their player of the season. If every team could unearth a Harry Kane, they would - sides have invested far more in their academies than us and haven’t come close yet it’s held up as a feasible strategy by some.

As you say, citing raw player values without taking account of the year they were signed and the role of inflation is sloppy apples and oranges. Never mind that even if we could claim that spurs practiced what others are preaching, the exception doesn’t prove the rule.

I wonder is baggytrousers a reference to the fact that he’s so full of s**t?

Inflation has obviously run rampant in the case of Deli Ali, not to mention Kyle Walker and Eric Dier. Also, it must have gone into reverse the year they bought Eriksen as they'd pocketed 85 mill earlier that year for Gareth Bale, almost 8 times what they paid for Eriksen. I wonder if there's an alternate explanation.

Also, isn't it funny how Spurs academy seemed to have unearthed hidden gems during the time when they've had a manager who was also lucky enough to previously had talented youngsters coming through from the academy at Saints and before that at Espanyol ?

Inflation has obviously run rampant in the case of Deli Ali, not to mention Kyle Walker and Eric Dier. Also, it must have gone into reverse the year they bought Eriksen as they'd pocketed 85 mill earlier that year for Gareth Bale, almost 8 times what they paid for Eriksen. I wonder if there's an alternate explanation.

Also, isn't it funny how Spurs academy seemed to have unearthed hidden gems during the time when they've had a manager who was also lucky enough to previously had talented youngsters coming through from the academy at Saints and before that at Espanyol ?

What are you on about? They signed Alli 4 years ago as a 19 year old from a League One side, that was before transfer fees went uber crazy but even now a teenager from League One wouldn't cost huge amounts.

Kyle Walker they signed in 2009 from a relegated Sheffield United. 2 years ago he went for £50million to City.

Dier they signed from Sporting CP 5 years ago while his contract was close to running out.

Eriksen was a bargain but as somebody else pointed out, you wouldn't get Ajaxs best player for £11million anymore - they've sold two players who arguably aren't even their best already this summer for £76million and £67million.

What are you on about? They signed Alli 4 years ago as a 19 year old from a League One side, that was before transfer fees went uber crazy but even now a teenager from League One wouldn't cost huge amounts.

Kyle Walker they signed in 2009 from a relegated Sheffield United. 2 years ago he went for £50million to City.

Dier they signed from Sporting CP 5 years ago while his contract was close to running out.

Eriksen was a bargain but as somebody else pointed out, you wouldn't get Ajaxs best player for £11million anymore - they've sold two players who arguably aren't even their best already this summer for £76million and £67million.

And how much did those players cost Ajax ?

They cost a lot now because Ajax have developed and been successful with a squad of players who cost next to nothing by today's standards. They've not been "inherited" as Shurlock would say. They've been developed.

So, if we want to stand a chance against the big boys, either we buy the finished product at huge expense with no guarantee they'll necessarily perform for us (the Leeds route) or we buy talent and have the nouse to develop them as players and as a team (the Ajax/Spurs/Leicester route).

I know which overall approach I prefer. You may see things differently.

probably more sensible to invest £30m in the academy and catching them young, as Chelsea appear to be doing across the south of England
This is a groundbreaking idea and I, for one, am amazed that no other football club has considered investing in their academy and scouting for young players.

Ralph should be congratulated on his new haircut. The shorter style suits him but also makes him look more professional. A very good job well done.

I think Dave Watson should get the credit. He's been promoted from GK coach to club hair stylist I heard.

• 1 month later...

I like him but starting to doubt. The last few games I've really begun to wonder about him and whether he's a one trick pony.

His game is press press press. We have no possession, we can't defend, we don't carve teams open and we just don't create enough. Its just press like rabid dogs and see if we get lucky... Its not good enough atm.

I like him but starting to doubt. The last few games I've really begun to wonder about him and whether he's a one trick pony.

His game is press press press. We have no possession, we can't defend, we don't carve teams open and we just don't create enough. Its just press like rabid dogs and see if we get lucky... Its not good enough atm.

I really think it's the players not the manager.

He hasn't been given sufficient backing. Improved us massively and immediately but to continue that with the paltry additions we've given him is a tough ask to say the least. Attack, Midfield and Defence all needed strengthening majorly. Attack - Adams is struggling (quite badly), Djenpo (sp) looks handy. Defence - Needed a dominant centre back, got Danso who is playing at left back. Midfield - Nothing. In fact weaker due to Lemina likely going.

Yeah the squad is limited. We still do not have a proper CF despite spending £37m on Adams and Danny.

I think what frustrates me is that we always improve in games. I mean fair play for changing it and improving things, and we then do play some good stuff, but we always seem to waste far too much of matches.

Did well to get the draw today, but first half was poor and a better side would have beaten united. They were there for the taking.

Yeah the squad is limited. We still do not have a proper CF despite spending £37m on Adams and Danny.

I think what frustrates me is that we always improve in games. I mean fair play for changing it and improving things, and we then do play some good stuff, but we always seem to waste far too much of matches.

Did well to get the draw today, but first half was poor and a better side would have beaten united. They were there for the taking.

I reckon we would if Danso hadn’t got sent off

There is absolutely nothing wrong with how we play, our approach, the setup. The coaching is top notch and the players have responded to it.

The main problem? The lack of quality within the group to take advantage of opportunities when we do win the ball back through our approach. Anything people see as being wrong with this team is nothing to do with Ralph, it's the limited ability of the players we have.

He hasn't been given sufficient backing. Improved us massively and immediately but to continue that with the paltry additions we've given him is a tough ask to say the least. Attack, Midfield and Defence all needed strengthening majorly. Attack - Adams is struggling (quite badly), Djenpo (sp) looks handy. Defence - Needed a dominant centre back, got Danso who is playing at left back. Midfield - Nothing. In fact weaker due to Lemina likely going.

Exactly right. I bet he's hoping to get through this season and move somewhere better.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with how we play, our approach, the setup. The coaching is top notch and the players have responded to it.

The main problem? The lack of quality within the group to take advantage of opportunities when we do win the ball back through our approach. Anything people see as being wrong with this team is nothing to do with Ralph, it's the limited ability of the players we have.

Absolutely. He’s done bloody well to polish some of the turds we have and make them look half decent.

We have nobody that can reliably turn an opportunity into a goal. In the post we had Le Tis, Beattie, Lambert.

Ings seems to squander far too many. So far Che is the same. Mr Long doesn't even know where the goal is. Even Yoshi has that excellent Saints knack of hitting the goalie when it would seem easier to miss (the goalie) and score....

All due respect, the quality of the squad is weak. Yes, great fans and a beautiful city.

He can't pick up the new player that he wanted (e.g. Schlager, Dost) because of the budget.

That`s why it not possible for Ralph to achieve great things with this team.

Know him quite well and he is extremely loyal. Unfortunately, for his career it was a step backwards. :?

All due respect, the quality of the squad is weak. Yes, great fans and a beautiful city.

He can't pick up the new player that he wanted (e.g. Schlager, Dost) because of the budget.

Know him quite well and he is extremely loyal. Unfortunately, for his career it was a step backwards. :?

Well that's a bummer.

I wonder what they told him when he joined about money ?

Ralph, is that you?

Just tell him to beat the skates. That’s all that matters.

Ralph is absolutely the best thing about this club at the moment. Such a shame that he is having to work with both hands tied behind his back. I dread the day he leave.

Agree. I fear that he is equally p!ssed off by the standard and level of recruiting this summer. Semmens and Ross Wilson may come across as an encouraging new breed in replacing Ralph K and Les but the management and direction still leaves a lot to be desired. In their defence they are still picking up the pieces of the Les Reed years and it will take some years to overcome that. Then there is the Mr Gao question, what does he want, and how does he magic up some funds to achieve it ?

Agree. I fear that he is equally p!ssed off by the standard and level of recruiting this summer. Semmens and Ross Wilson may come across as an encouraging new breed in replacing Ralph K and Les but the management and direction still leaves a lot to be desired. In their defence they are still picking up the pieces of the Les Reed years and it will take some years to overcome that. Then there is the Mr Gao question, what does he want, and how does he magic up some funds to achieve it ?

Do we know how much of a say Ross Wilson had in the Carrillo, Elyounoussi signings? He can be even more responsible for those signings than Reed for all we know.

Easy to lay blame on people who are no longer here...

• 3 weeks later...
Another batman " fact"

Usually wrong

He has gone from challenging for the title/champions league spots in a major league in Europe to fighting to keep us up

No doubt given his comments over the two windows he has been here about players coming in (and that not really happening) he probably thinks that this job is not materialising as he hoped for his own upwards trajectory