Ralph Hasenhuttl

SuperSAINT

Agree, but just trying to avoid the inevitable penultimate year 'tittle-tattle' that starts in the press etc when a manager is about to enter the last year of their contract. It can start to effect the players and results.

I just feel that if we agree a longer contract with him the club can still enter into an agreement with RH to say we wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to leave earlier, but I just feel a longer contract would lead to more stability in his penultimate and/or last season with us, whenever that may be. Forward planning and all that malarkey.

Just thinking out loud guv.

Agree that the extension does filter back to players, it may also make or break who comes into club? Most I imagine want to play for manager

Nice little factoid I just read

"Clubs to have taken more points than Southampton since Ralph Hasenhuttl sat on the bench for the first time: Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, Manchester City."

Good job Ralph

Very impressive. Yet we're still only 3pts from the drop zone.

Nice little factoid I just read

"Clubs to have taken more points than Southampton since Ralph Hasenhuttl sat on the bench for the first time: Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, Manchester City."

Good job Ralph

I make it just the 4 teams above us (I don't count the Cardiff game as that came too soon for Ralph to have any effect on the outcome).

98bb54a7177c08976c073496f9fa2609.jpg

Very impressive. Yet we're still only 3pts from the drop zone.
There were plenty predicting we'd be bottom now. And on previous firm, we'd probably have list to Arsenal and Everton and be three points from safety rather than safe by three.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There were plenty predicting we'd be bottom now. And on previous firm, we'd probably have list to Arsenal and Everton and be three points from safety rather than safe by three.

More wishful thinking on my part that me actually thinking we can put a good run of wins together...i mean this is Saints we are talking about! :)

No way we would have won at Leicester either. The only one of our four wins under Ralph that I could see us perhaps getting under Hughes was at Huddersfield.

His new rules are absolute genius. You can't hurt a football in the pocket anymore - so have fines that actually benefit the club. Couldn't have more time for the man.

It's a completely staggering job he has done to be honest.

I know its only 8 games in the league, but to get 13 points, which is 1.6 points per game extrapolates to a 60 point season, which last year would have been 7th, 3 points from 6th place.

And that is with no transfers in, little time to work with the team (The Cardiff game is pretty much a right off, if we played them now we would win I reckon) over the busy Xmas period and 3 of the games were against top 6 teams, plus two games against two of the biggest spenders outside the top 6 in West Ham and Everton.

I am genuinely excited about next season when he gets a full pre-season to work with the team, we aren't playing catch up after Hughes's awful mess and we might actually do some decent recruitment.

One little thing in that article which annoys me, and it shouldn't, but the Derby cup game does not go down as a defeat but a draw in the official books, so we've lost 3 of 10 games since he's been here

One little thing in that article which annoys me, and it shouldn't, but the Derby cup game does not go down as a defeat but a draw in the official books, so we've lost 3 of 10 games since he's been here

One of which was the Cardiff debacle (which can't be pinned on Ralph, given he only had one day with the squad prior), and another was against last season's runaway champions in a game which he effectively 'threw' by resting several players.

• 4 weeks later...

Some thoughts from an external observer (i am Austrian): Totally understandable that the overwhelming reactions after a majority of great results gradually returned to normal for now. But... people, please, do not lose your sense of realism. Some of the comments i 've read here during the last 2-3 weeks were more likely panic reactions than anything else.

Lets look at the facts: RH obviously overtook a desolate and highly unsettled team in the beginning of the season. How many points had Southampton when Hughes left? Think 9 out of 15 games, which is what i'd call an awful start. And one thing we can tell for sure is that the team did improve afterwards, i think is questioning that. And yes, the last games obviously did not went so well. Of course, we are talking about 2, 3 or even more lost points due to a lack of concentration in the latter stages of the games.

Still: the directions fits well even though some fans already start talking about relegating after some suboptimal performances. What did you expect? RH is not a wizard and it was most likely that the whole season would follow the mission of "averting further damage" rather than taking a placing in the comfort zone.

And even though statistics do not save teams from beeing relegated, the direction still shows that Southampton is going to stay in the league. RH has made 15 points out of 11 games (even with the first loss to Cardiff when RH basically had no chance to make any impact) with the squad and even IF Arsenal is going to win tomorrow, there are still 7 teams who performed worse: Wolverhampton, Newcastle, Leicester, Fulham, Brighton & Hove Albion, Huddersfield, Bournemouth Right now (if Arsenals wins tomorrow), that makes 1,25 points/game. Of course that's not supergreat, but it IS way better compared to the start of the season and it should most likely lead to staying in the league. So 1,25/games would still make 38 points and the last time 38 were NOT enough was in 2010/11. So, folks, let the good vibes come back and believe in RHs work with the squad.

I don't blame Ralph at all for our predicament, he is clearly a good manager but has been given a very weak squad to work with. My only real gripe so far is his treatment of Gabbiadini and if we weren't going to replace him we should have kept him. We just have no-one to score the goals we need.

Of course injuries to key players haven't helped.

I don't blame Ralph at all for our predicament, he is clearly a good manager but has been given a very weak squad to work with. My only real gripe so far is his treatment of Gabbiadini and if we weren't going to replace him we should have kept him. We just have no-one to score the goals we need.

Don't forget the farce of loaning out Cedric without a replacement as well. Injuries should always be anticipated (especially Ings).

Some thoughts from an external observer (i am Austrian): Totally understandable that the overwhelming reactions after a majority of great results gradually returned to normal for now. But... people, please, do not lose your sense of realism. Some of the comments i 've read here during the last 2-3 weeks were more likely panic reactions than anything else.

Lets look at the facts: RH obviously overtook a desolate and highly unsettled team in the beginning of the season. How many points had Southampton when Hughes left? Think 9 out of 15 games, which is what i'd call an awful start. And one thing we can tell for sure is that the team did improve afterwards, i think is questioning that. And yes, the last games obviously did not went so well. Of course, we are talking about 2, 3 or even more lost points due to a lack of concentration in the latter stages of the games.

Still: the directions fits well even though some fans already start talking about relegating after some suboptimal performances. What did you expect? RH is not a wizard and it was most likely that the whole season would follow the mission of "averting further damage" rather than taking a placing in the comfort zone.

And even though statistics do not save teams from beeing relegated, the direction still shows that Southampton is going to stay in the league. RH has made 15 points out of 11 games (even with the first loss to Cardiff when RH basically had no chance to make any impact) with the squad and even IF Arsenal is going to win tomorrow, there are still 7 teams who performed worse: Wolverhampton, Newcastle, Leicester, Fulham, Brighton & Hove Albion, Huddersfield, Bournemouth Right now (if Arsenals wins tomorrow), that makes 1,25 points/game. Of course that's not supergreat, but it IS way better compared to the start of the season and it should most likely lead to staying in the league. So 1,25/games would still make 38 points and the last time 38 were NOT enough was in 2010/11. So, folks, let the good vibes come back and believe in RHs work with the squad.

Thank you for a rational viewpoint!

Again, I don't understand this hero worship of Gabbiadini, he was hardly a prolific goal scorer, either with us, or previous teams.

All Saints' fans share your view. We think Ralph is an excellent manager, and I don't think we've lost our "sense of realism".

He has got a squad which would struggle to get into the top six in the Championship putting in exceptional performances against good Premier League sides.

Our issue is with the owners and the board, not with the manager.

All Saints' fans share your view. We think Ralph is an excellent manager, and I don't think we've lost our "sense of realism".

He has got a squad which would struggle to get into the top six in the Championship putting in exceptional performances against good Premier League sides.

Our issue is with the owners and the board, not with the manager.

Generalisations are never appropriate, but i did have the feeling that some of you already started to relativise RH work ("more likely a manager effect") after a few (mostly unlucky) performances...

All the best :)

is he all that?

now we see the real Ralph now that the new manager bounce is over and teams start to figure his tactics out

Because he jumps around people think he's the next messiah.

He's better than Hughes, but my god he makes some absymal decisions.

Making bold and unusual decisions if fine if it turns out to be hidden genius. Sadly at present Ralph just looks clueless and his decisions insanity.
Yep, agree. Time to get rid. Next.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The impressive thing is that when he's made mistakes - 5 at the back v Cardiff, persisting with Jack - he's learned from them and rectified them quickly. Just hope JWP comes back in one piece so RH can continue his great work and see us to safety. Then an enormous squad re-build in the summer.

The impressive thing is that when he's made mistakes - 5 at the back v Cardiff, persisting with Jack - he's learned from them and rectified them quickly. Just hope JWP comes back in one piece so RH can continue his great work and see us to safety. Then an enormous squad re-build in the summer.

What will an enormous squad re-build in the summer achieve? With the exception of a striker I think continuity is the best plan going forward.

I agree with what you say but he did persist with Stephens a little bit too long I think.

There will be no enormous squad rebuild. Replacements maybe if we lose the likes of Hojbjerg, McCarthy. Hopefully a striker, possibly CB and AM if Boufal goes and backup RB. Can't see that we need any more.

There will be no enormous squad rebuild. Replacements maybe if we lose the likes of Hojbjerg, McCarthy. Hopefully a striker, possibly CB and AM if Boufal goes and backup RB. Can't see that we need any more.

A new striker, CB and AM is quite a few important bits of the team.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I think there will be a big turnover:

Out (hopefully)

Forster

Hoedt

Stephens

Cedric

Clasie

Boufal

Lemina

Carrillo

Long