4-2-2-2

ozzmeister

It's also been said in the various reports people have posted that he won't play 4-2-2-2 straight away unless he's happy he's got the players for that formation.

He won't have the players for that formation. We'll probably get a 4-3-3 or even, 5 at the back to start with. He knows he needs to sort the defenders out.

Hughes played a version of 4-2-2-2 for quite a while this season. We had a problem with losing central midfield when we did it. It looked a bit better with Long and Ings up top, but it really didn't seem to work well with Austin.

A lot of the clips that have been posted concerning Leipzig showed them defending in a 4-3-3 with Werner and Paulson playing as a pair of wide forwards and Forsberg playing as a kind of false striker. Similar to the Puel forward line when we tried a diamond midfield.

Hasenhuttl seems to adapt his formations to suit his players, so I think he'll have a look at what he has to work with before settling on a formation.

It's also been said in the various reports people have posted that he won't play 4-2-2-2 straight away unless he's happy he's got the players for that formation.

He won't have the players for that formation. We'll probably get a 4-3-3 or even, 5 at the back to start with. He knows he needs to sort the defenders out.

Looking at the above I think we do. Two holding midfielders who are both good at winning the ball, one very good at retaining and bringing it forward. Two attacking midfielders who are good at running with the ball, have good pace and strike the ball well. And pacy strikers (I would play Ings and Long) who work hard to close down, can hold up the ball and play their teammates in well.

An attacking four of;

Armstrong Redmond

Long Ings

Looks very solid for Hasselhoffs mooted counter attacking play.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Long is ****e.

Managers who like pressing don't suddenly love players who run but are terrible at anything to do with kicking the ball.

If we ship out Long in January and move on it would be a good thing. Assuming Austin goes as well.

Both are the past, not the future.

Long is ****e.

Managers who like pressing don't suddenly love players who run but are terrible at anything to do with kicking the ball.

If we ship out Long in January and move on it would be a good thing. Assuming Austin goes as well.

Both are the past, not the future.

He's really not though. His finishing is poor but his hold up play, heading, crossing and flick ons are excellent.

He's really not though. His finishing is poor but his hold up play, heading, crossing and flick ons are excellent.

I can't believe anyone still defends Long, he's dreadful.

His hold up play is awful, he can trap a ball into the Itchen (the river not the stand). He frequently miss-controls or is offside, immediately giving possession back to the opposition.

His heading is awful. He can jump and get his head on a ball but what happens when it leaves his head is a complete lottery. Last header I remember him scoring was against West Brom 2 years ago.

I'm afraid I have no recollection of excellent crosses. I think he set one up at Watford last season from out wide but that's about it.

No they aren't.

Long is not a footballer. He's an athlete who can run fast with a woeful touch and no football brain. He can't even sustain his chasing around for any time anymore and seems to spend half the game having a breather.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Obafemi > Long.

Forget Long, we need to con a championship club to take him off the wage bill, same with Davis, Austin, Forster, along with obviously Carillo, Boufal, Clasie. That is probably £350k a week wages right there.

Anyway he's said before that he doesn't play a specific formation, he adapts the players to it. Also remember he hasn't just managed an on the up Leipzig who basically bought their way up the leagues. His previous two clubs he took over, Aalen and Ingolstadt were battling against relegation at the time, so he'll be pragmatic I reckon, he won't suddenly expect us to be playing like Leipzig overnight.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't believe anyone still defends Long, he's dreadful.

His hold up play is awful, he can trap a ball into the Itchen (the river not the stand). He frequently miss-controls or is offside, immediately giving possession back to the opposition.

His heading is awful. He can jump and get his head on a ball but what happens when it leaves his head is a complete lottery. Last header I remember him scoring was against West Brom 2 years ago.

I'm afraid I have no recollection of excellent crosses. I think he set one up at Watford last season from out wide but that's about it.

Today was an example of an excellent cross.