Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Spurs v Saints - Match Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    At least RH saw our biggest problems.

We are so nice to play against. Rarely make crunching tackles, lightweight CBs, had Targett and JWP marking Kane and Dier at corners.

We are a really poor side in both boxes and Hasenhuttl has his work cut out.

In attack, Redmond got better as the game went on and showed he can beat a man - need him in a central position.

Yoshida was absolutely dreadful, equally as bad as anything Hoedt has shown this season IMO.

Can we stay up without signing a good CB in January? I'm not sure we can.
    Yes, very accurate summing up.

I predicted 16th before the start of the season and still believe we will achieve this.

Wtf was that bag policy about last night? Missed around 30 mins of the game due to the bag drop place being about a mile from the stadium, and had to pay £10 for the ordeal. Zero communication from the club about it, and ridiculous for anyone who might just have a small thing like work mid-week and therefore have stuff on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Default

That first goal summed up our defending this season perfectly. Early corner when we should be fully switched on. But we allow an easy short corner with absolutely no pressure on Eriksson giving him total freedom to pick someone out. Marking of Kane their biggest threat non existent and no one from our side attacking the ball a couple of yards from our goal.

To call it schoolboy defending is insulting to schoolboys. A decent defensive coach should be able to improve things to some extent, at least coming up with a more solid plan for defending set pieces. But my suspicion is a few of our defenders will still continue making basic errors because they just aren't very good and switch off time and again!

The other concerning thing is that we continued to allow easy short corners throughout the rest of the first half! To me that shows a lack of leadership on the pitch, no senior players demanding better organisation. If we can sign a real defensive leader in January, someone in the Cahill mould, then we may be OK, but with the current set, I think Ralph has got quite a job to do!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    No it won't. He joined in Jan 2017. Shortly before the cup final.
    Yes, my mistake.

Sat in the Spurs end and probably the worst atmosphere I've experienced at a ground and I once went to see Wimbledon the season their fans boycotted the stadium (OK, maybe not THAT bad).

The only crumb of comfort was predicting 3-1 before the game and it all pretty much went as expected. We just simply cannot defend and Spurs rarely got out of second gear. Even if we had scored from more of our chances, they looked like they could score another. 3 very simple goals from not picking up our men - who leaves Kane unmarked at a corner?!

One positive was that we looked quite dangerous from open play with some lovely moves creating space and chances, albeit mostly when 3-0 down.

Some thoughts on the players:
    - Gabby looks totally shorn of confidence, he couldn't hold the ball up and when through on goal hooked a shot terribly that dribbled along the ground. The sooner Ings is back the better. Austin would have been a better selection and hopefully he'll push on after his goal.
    - The new man has to find a way to get the best out of Redmond - if he could shoot or cross consistently he'd be some player. Even without that he creates space for others with his runs.
    - We need Bertrand back desperately. Soares had a decent game. The two of them in tandem make us look much stronger going forward.
    - Trippier was left virtually unmarked by Targett who had a shocker - did he not watch the world cup?
    - Armstrong continuing his steady improvement, but even he missed a pretty easy chance on his left from a rebound with Lloris stranded
    - Davies looked tidy, but unfortunately a lot slower than his prime
    - Missed Lemina's energy

Central defence aside I do think there's a half-decent team in there somewhere. Some games we've been solid in defence, some games good in attack, but rarely at the same time - best of luck Ralph, you're going to need it!

Just because Austin scored and came close to more doesn't mean he should start. In fact, it's precisely the reason he shouldn't.

Due to his lack of fitness he burns out faster than everyone else so is always at a disadvantage. If he comes on with 20 minutes to go he is fresh against tiring defenders, and there might just be a place for someone of his ilk.

Funny/depressing that this has been so blindingly obvious all season and it's taken this long to see it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Who was MOTM? Lloris
    We couldnít have been hang bad then. Storms off

Big Ron interview after Saints v Coventry
    Coventry still went down that season if memory serves...!

We hit the post three times and it took a couple of world class saves from Loris to prevent other goal scoring chances. We had more shots than Spurs, although slightly fewer were on target. We were missing key players which weakened both our defence and our midfield. In my opinion Kelvin got it wrong tactically too. I think we should have played three at the back with Romeu in front instead of Davis. When we had Cedric playing LB with Valerie on the right, it would have been better than having Targett on the left, where he was hung out to dry by Trippier all evening. If one player would have made a difference, it would have Lemina had he been available.

OK, Spurs were much the better team, but it was inevitable that the team we played and the formation we played would see an easy win for them, especially when we gifted them three soft goals like that.

Anyone else think it’s time we gave Gunn a chance in the league?

Really don’t think McCarthy is all that and his distribution is abysmal.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Appy View Post
    Anyone else think itís time we gave Gunn a chance in the league?

Really donít think McCarthy is all that and his distribution is abysmal.

Not particularly of all the issues we have in the squad Goal keeping is way down my list of big issues.

is Gunn's actually better?

I agree with you. I also don't think he communicates that great with the defence - not in anyway blaming him for the dross in front of him, but there were a couple of times in the Utd game where he could have shouted to a defender to head/chest it back to him but he didn't talk and defender ended up hoofing it out of play.

Probably not an urgent issue though to be fair, need a decent defence first.