Do you think we'll go down this season?

Bad Wolf

As the saying goes, I'd rather face 1000 lions lead by a sheep than 1000 sheep lead by a lion. A good manager will have this squad safe and a couple of decent signing could see us mid-table.

Put it this way - I'd rather be in our shoes than any of the other bottom 6.

As the saying goes, I'd rather face 1000 lions lead by a sheep than 1000 sheep lead by a lion. A good manager will have this squad safe and a couple of decent signing could see us mid-table.

Think I’d take the one lion myself. Do I have a gun?

Think I’d take the one lion myself. Do I have a gun?

I think it's one of those ancient Chinese proverbs from that book Nigel Adkins had, so probably written before the invention of guns.

Interesting thought though, what's the biggest animal you reckon you could take in a fight?

I think it's one of those ancient Chinese proverbs from that book Nigel Adkins had, so probably written before the invention of guns.

Interesting thought though, what's the biggest animal you reckon you could take in a fight?

I believe it was attributed to Alexander the Great describing the army of the Persian Empire and the actual quote is something like

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

A week ago I thought we were dead and buried but now I think it's finely balanced, the new manager has to get things moving and fast. Every game we fail to put points on the board makes survival incrementally harder.

I don't expect instant results but we really need to start looking like a winning team by the end of Dec to have any chance. That means defence steadies and attack gets some bite.

I still see us with 12-14 points and a mountain to climb come Jan 1st but if we at least look like a half decent team by then then we might just get the 24-26 points from 18 games to do it.

We could also get lucky and find the safety threshold is quite low this year, maybe 34 points(?) but you obviously can't rely on that.

No because IMO teams that go down struggle to score goals and create chances, we create chances and to be honest over recent weeks have been very unlucky, if the Ralph can get the team shape working to better protect use defensively and take pressure off the centre-backs I think we will stop conceding as many silly goals. Whilst I think we will still create chances.

I also can't believe that Ralph took the job if he hadn't have been promised some investment, which I hope means we'll get maybe 2 new faces in Jan, hopefully a pacey attacker, maybe another centre-back, with Ralph's input for his style of play.

Basically under Puel, who is a much better manager than MP or Hughes, we looked solid at the back with a back four of Bertrand, Stephens, Yoshida, Cedric, often with Forster behind them, and Romeu protecting them and we still created chances that season, IIRC we were the best outside the top 6 for chances created, shots etc. that season.

All those players are at the club, we have I think a better manager now than Puel, two better keepers than Forster was then, and potentially if he can get them playing to the potential that saw us bought them better centre-backs as well. All of which gives me hope we can sort the defence out without becoming anemic from an attacking sense (i.e like an Allardyce/Pulis approach) and the results will come.

With Hughes I'd say yes. New manager has given us a well needed lift and some cause for optimism, however first and foremost we really need to get some points on the board. Our players easily good enough to get to mid table comfortably, and hopefully RaHa will get us there. Even under Hughes we were able to take leads, lets just manage to not throw them away now. Plenty of time to go in the season, and a couple of smart signings (a defender that can defend) in January should see us safe.

I believe it was attributed to Alexander the Great describing the army of the Persian Empire and the actual quote is something like

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Not a very nice way to talk about his soldiers...

I don't know. A lot depends on what happens in the January transfer window. We have replaced a bad manager with a good one but we are still stuck with the same bad coaches and players. It's going to take at least a couple of transfer windows to sort out the mess Les has left us with.

Yes. Unless we bring in some gems in January, which relies on us managing to offload wages (not idea how we will do that) I just can't see how we can turn this ship around.

Look forward to this thread being bumped in May and all those saying yes being hung drawn and quartered for being such pessimistic bastards.

Yes. Unless we bring in some gems in January, which relies on us managing to offload wages (not idea how we will do that) I just can't see how we can turn this ship around.

Look forward to this thread being bumped in May and all those saying yes being hung drawn and quartered for being such pessimistic bastards.

You would hope that most could see that it is reasonable to come to either conclusion at this juncture.

We have been woeful, there are questions marks about players throughout the squad, some of those around us have picked up points recently.

However new manager, arguably there is more to come from a number of players, january is an unknown and plenty of poor sides this season (Hudds, Cardiff, Burnley, Fulham etc.)

I think we've left it very late and need more coaching back-up for RaHa, but if we can tighten up at the back we could stay up. Will be interesting to contrast our presumably attack-orientated style with what Allardyce would have given us by shoring up the back (and everywhere else, admittedly) first. At the moment I think we will just stay up, but it needs a good CB in the winter sales and for us to beat Cardiff on Saturday at the very least.

Despite the fact I'm genuinely excited by what the new manager will bring to the table I fear that losing feeling we have is too deeply embedded. We are currently paying dearly for a shocking 2 seasons or so of mismanagement and we may have to drop and burn before we rise from the ashes. I hope Hasenhuttl can drag us out of it and build a squad around his philosophy but I fear he could be doing it with Championship players at this rate.

Isn't that Millwall v Baaarsnley?

5 teams have lost more than us even though we've been stuck with Hughes.

We've been in a lot of games, lost by 1, drawn a lot. It's not huge improvement needed to win a few, just better management, more consistent line ups, a couple of attackers in form. Even just Ings playing each week. The four teams above us are rubbish.

When is Ings back? We do seem to have a lot of crocks

I like this man, don't let the smile fool you. I can see a ruthless man that will very quickly without having to yell etc, put the fear of God up the players. Woe betide anybody that doesn't measure up. I can see a couple of sacrificial lambs made an example of, then watch out. There is a touch of Fergie about him. If I'm right we won't go down. It'll be 'my way or the highway'.

But you can't tell anything from pre-season....
Mate, if you'd seen us at Derby (we were awful) , and then when Duss ran another 3 in at SMS you knew we were in for a long hard season.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

No. Hughes was a gastly manager but was very close to getting some results that would have seen us outside the relegation zone. It won't take much improvement to keep us up.

I have every faith that Ralph will be the kick up the arse that our players need

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I think we are down, the squad is awful

I agree. 1 league win in 15 games this season. One home win in a calendar year. All the signs are there despite a new manager coming in I think we're on our way to relegation.