Do you think we'll go down this season?

Bad Wolf

we simply do not have enough points. We will lose against Arsenal and Spuds, that leaves Huders away and WHU at fortress St Mary`s followed by another defeat at the hands of City, so a very hard away game followed by the happy hammers to get some more points. IF we manage a draw and a win, then we go into 2019 on 13 points. Not enough. RH I`m sure will be a good manager but he is not a magician, he does not have a magic wand that he waves and makes our crappy defence good, our non goal scoring attack score goals. On top of this, we will have to sell before we buy, and who would actually PAY us for our players??

So are we going down.

Yes

No. We should not go down. The squad is stuck in a rut, but it is not a bad squad. good management and coaching will lift us out of the rut. The gap is not wide. There are seven of us at the bottom making almost a league of our own. We will end the season at the top of the seven. I hope.

We need to win 10 of the remaining 22.

We've won 1 in what feels like the last 100.

All we can do is hope that Ralph is about to be our best ever manager.

I will tattoo his face all over my body if he does it.

You believe Burnley will win 9 of their remaining 22, having won 3/16 so far?

At the current rate, someone will stay up on about 30 points, which is something like 5 wins and 6 draws for us.

At the current rate, someone will stay up on about 30 points, which is something like 5 wins and 6 draws for us.

I believe nothing at this point, and I hope for the best. Good luck fellow human.

We've won 1 in what feels like the last 100.

All we can do is hope that Ralph is about to be our best ever manager.

I will tattoo his face all over my body if he does it.

As someone said, when the wolf is chasing you, you don't have to out run it, just the fat kid (or in our case, 3 fat kids).

We have won 1 game out of 16. We have only won 1 home game in the last year. We have 22 games left. So, on current form, you'd expect 1 or 2 more wins. A big improvement might give us 4 or 5. It would be a massive turnaround if we managed to win 8. Under Puel, when we finished 8th, we won 7 of or last 22 games.

We all believe we have the right manager for the task but the question is do we have the right players? Winning the first of those games on Sunday would show that we do.

Maybe being a Saints fan of many years, has hardened me to expect hope turning to disappointment more often than not.

Many times this season (and some last) performances have momentarily given hope, only for them to be dashed by lack of application.

Ralph seems to have the chat to stiffen the application, its whether the players have the ability to apply it, as the degrees of separation between success and disappointment are not quite yet a chasm that can't be bridged.

The answer to the OP should be easier to answer once Christmas is done.

Yes, I agree.

I think 32 or 33 should be enough to stay up, provided we don't keep giving 3 points to the likes of Cardiff and Fulham.

I would say 7 wins and a few draws should hopefully be enough, or 6 wins and a bunch of draws. The old 40 point mantra is bull. We've got Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield, Wolves, Palace to play at home plus Burnley and Newcastle away. At some point we will beat a mid-table team too.

So it's doable, although we don't have much margin for error left.

In the great escape of 1998/99 (is it really 20 years ago?) we had 10 points after 16 games and lost game number 17. We were in the bottom three the entire season until three games from the end. Finished on 41 points. So it can be done.

What made the difference that season was after Christmas 1998 we started winning all our home games. Think that this is where we need to see the change this season. Plus I don't think that we will need 41 points to survive this season. My guess is that 34-35 points will be enough.

But we need to see signs of improvement really quickly to have a chance. Be interesting to see where we are a month from now.

In the great escape of 1998/99 (is it really 20 years ago?) we had 10 points after 16 games and lost game number 17. We were in the bottom three the entire season until three games from the end. Finished on 41 points. So it can be done.

What made the difference that season was after Christmas 1998 we started winning all our home games. Think that this is where we need to see the change this season. Plus I don't think that we will need 41 points to survive this season. My guess is that 34-35 points will be enough.

But we need to see signs of improvement really quickly to have a chance. Be interesting to see where we are a month from now.

Arsenal = loss

Huddersfield = Draw/possible narrow win

West Ham = loss

Man City = Loss

I predict three points at best from that lot, anyone think we can get 6 points!

Highly unlikely that we do need to win that many. Absolutely certain that we won't. 7 (as last season) or 8 in total will probably be enough to scrape our sorry arses into another season in this league. That still equates to a spectacular turnaround in form. Over to you Ralph.

With the ever increasing disparity between top and bottom I expect 30 to become the new benchmark for staying up over the next few seasons.

Calm down people!

There are only 5 points separating the bottom 7. We’re hardly cut adrift in desperate need of a Great Escape.

All we have to do over the next 22 games is get 1 more point than Fulham, 2 more points than Huddersfield and 4 more points than either Burnley or Palace.

I think we might get worse for 2 or 3 games before Ralph’s methods take effect (and we may even be bottom at Christmas), but in Ralph I trust!

Calm down people!

There are only 5 points separating the bottom 7. We’re hardly cut adrift in desperate need of a Great Escape.

All we have to do over the next 22 games is get 1 more point than Fulham, 2 more points than Huddersfield and 4 more points than either Burnley or Palace.

I think we might get worse for 2 or 3 games before Ralph’s methods take effect (and we may even be bottom at Christmas), but in Ralph I trust!

Totally agree.

The most pleasing thing is over the next two years we are are going to discover some hidden gems in our club.

Nothing better than one of your own preforming on the big stage.

I genuinely think we will win our next 3 games.

Arsenal problems at back with no CBs to play

Huddersfield going to miss Mooy

Coupled with 2 full weeks of Ralph’s training with Ings and Cedric back.

Then West Ham - look a very decent side again now but we will then have our belief back. And all their foreign players will be bemoaning playing at Christmas so won’t be up for it.

Simple and I have ignored our inept defence of course.

Clearly our CB problem is whats going to kill us I think, we have 5 players who have been tried in various combinations this season, none of which has worked effectively. There was a clamour for Yoshi to play, and he has lately and has looked as poor as any of them. All 5 I think would make reasonable "junior" partners alongside a class senior player (VVD, Fonte and the like), but we no longer have a player of that calibre. The Cardiff game was a defensive shambles at times, as was Fulham.

Arsenal will be a severe test, they are developing into a serious top 4 side. If we're not in their faces for 90 minutes they will pick us apart at will.

I'm glad that we have RH now after 2 previous managerial disasters. It's been hinted that he may leave if we go down which would be a shame. If we do go down, which I think we will, he should stay and develop the team even if it means a couple of seasons in the Championship.

Need to see it over a few games before we get too excited.

Remember Carvalhal at Swansea, came in won away at Watford and then beat Liverpool and Arsenal.... Then lost 6 and drew 3 of the last 9!!

Will take a little while yet to fully beat 2.5 years of crap outta us.

If we can keep the level of the 1st half performance up for the rest of the season we might well stay up.

I doubt we will beat any of the top six again this season but playing like we did yesterday should see us pick up a lot more points from the other sides in yye league

All depends if the players can keep the energy levels and fitness to play like that week in week out.

Just watching the Sunderland Netflix doco.. Just acts as a great reminder of how depressing and destructive relegation is. Something for the bellends on here who thought going down might be the best thing for us.

Anway, onwards and upwards with 3 points today!