Cardiff vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

As much as I'm happy and excited to see what the new man can do. I'm not expecting to much on the results front early doors its going to take a lot of work to bring his favoured style of football to the hopeless mess that is our squad and I'm not sure some of the players will ever be able to manage it. I think a draw for this one sadly.

I presume Lemina is back for this.

We'll just have to see what we can do.

This squad has 3 huge games coming up before the window, Cardiff away, Huddersfield away and West Ham at home to show what they can do for this new manager before potential replacements can come in. (I am presuming we'll lose to Arsenal and Man City and anything there would be a bonus).

We have to pick up two wins IMO at least, if not looking at getting 3 as we have Chelsea in the new year before going away to Leicester so there are not many winnable games there if we mess up against these 3.

Everyone on a clean slate, everything working their nuts of in the game and in training, whoever emerges will have earned their spots. I think we might see a few surprises in there.

Physioroom is predicted Bertrand and Ings should be available for Saturday, have no idea how accurate they are but both were maybes for Wednesday

Edited by tajjuk

I'm interested to see whether he goes with two or three CBs. One if MH's problems was that he couldn't wake up his mind. That's not really a criticism as both systems were suffering through individual weaknesses.

Personally I can't see why we changed against Spurs, but I'll accept that, unless the wingbacks really get forward, it gives us more attacking options and theoretically more midfield control.

I'm hoping Ings could be back. Obafemi won't be and it's all very quiet on Long and Gallagher. I'm not optimistic about starting with either/both of Austin/Gabbiadini. Would possibly prefer not bothering with a striker, but can't see that happening in a must-win game.

Hasenhüttl certainly needs to hit the ground running!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm going to go for positive new manager bounce win.

Mccarthy

Valery Stephens Vestergaard Bertrand

Davis Lemina

Hojberg Armstrong Redmond

Ings

Defence looks errrggh. Having said that I've gone through every variation of defence I can think of, in my mind, with the players we have available and I really can't come up with one combination that doesn't make think "oh ****" that's bad.

I do like what I've seen of Valery can't see him being picked over Cedric but maybe Ralph will surprise me.

I'm interested to see whether he goes with two or three CBs. One if MH's problems was that he couldn't wake up his mind. That's not really a criticism as both systems were suffering through individual weaknesses.

Personally I can't see why we changed against Spurs, but I'll accept that, unless the wingbacks really get forward, it gives us more attacking options and theoretically more midfield control.

I'm hoping Ings could be back. Obafemi won't be and it's all very quiet on Long and Gallagher. I'm not optimistic about starting with either/both of Austin/Gabbiadini. Would possibly prefer not bothering with a striker, but can't see that happening in a must-win game.

Hasenhüttl certainly needs to hit the ground running!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Long has an ankle injury, which he got on the 9th November and was predicted to be out for around 6 weeks so I'd presume he is still a few weeks away from being fit.

Gallagher just seems to have vanished, no mention of him being injured.

Will be tough. They've won their last 2 home games so their tails will be up & Warnock teams will always be ugly & in our faces.

Would imagine that they will be harder to beat than Fulham & we royally f*cked that up.

Desperate for Ralph to start off a positive note but will be tricky on 1 & half days worth of coaching.

Valery should come in for Cedric imo, he’s bigger, better in the air and stronger. Cedric was so poor last night again, after an improved performance against United. Cardiff will have a field day just chipping it to the back post for someone to tower over Cedric.

A loss, 2-1 my guess. Their 2 coming from either a long throw, corner or free kick.

Even pep couldn’t turn our shambles of a back 4 around in 2 days and about the only thing Cardiff are good at is pumping the ball into the box.

Vest has to start imo otherwise we’re way to small and weak to deal with their aerial presence.

Warnock will have them pumping it into the box on every occasion possible so need our defence to hold firm. How often have they done that?

That said - I'm with Simo, going for the super positive 3 nil away win based on nothing more than new manager bounce. Please.

Warnock will have them pumping it into the box on every occasion possible so need our defence to hold firm. How often have they done that?

That said - I'm with Simo, going for the super positive 3 nil away win based on nothing more than new manager bounce. Please.

If we don't play Vestergaard for that reason i'll scream.

His press conference already more exciting than last clowns.

Already identified problems from one game.

Something Hughes couldn’t get his head round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. He talks the talk but walking the walk with our current squad will certainly be a challenge!

Everybody else being the key words. New manger syndrome never happens for us.

When was the last Saints manager to win in his first game in charge?

Sturrock beat Liverpool I think.

I know Strachan didn't (3-3 draw), Adkins didn't, Poch didn't (0-0), Puel didn't (1-1), MoPe didn't (0-0), Hughes didn't (0-3).

When was the last Saints manager to win in his first game in charge?

Sturrock beat Liverpool I think.

I know Strachan didn't (3-3 draw), Adkins didn't, Poch didn't (0-0), Puel didn't (1-1), MoPe didn't (0-0), Hughes didn't (0-3).

The Wigan game was Hughes's first, so technically he was.

But yes, going on solely league games, you have to go way back. I think it might actually be Sturrock.

The Wigan game was Hughes's first, so technically he was.

But yes, going on solely league games, you have to go way back. I think it might actually be Sturrock.

Yes, you are right! For some reason I had the order of the Wigan and West Ham games mixed up in my mind.