Lauded to laughing Stock

spyinthesky

Talking to someone on the train today who made this comment to me re his impression of Saints.

Certainly resonated with me.

When you think the club (under the well paid auspices of Les Reed, Ross Wilson and Ralph Kreuger) has, in recent times, spent well over £100m on Carillo, Boufal, Claisie (all on loan abroad), a Norwegian/Moroccan midfielder, three central defenders (Danish/Dutch and Polish), all of whom have been spectacularly average ( to say the least), a goalkeeper who has disappeared off the face of the earth but still paid a reported £70k a week and pay outs to failed Managers and Coaches, it is a catalogue of mismanagement of the highest order.

All those mentioned will be well paid for their collective failure whilst the rest of us have to fork out increasing amounts for an increasingly inferior product.

The new guy at the helm will deserve whatever rewards he has been promised if he can get us out of the current mess and, if he is successful, we should expect him to b*ggar off to a better job.

Having spent most of the day reflecting on the negatives, I do console myself with the thought that when I first started supporting Saints we were in the old Third Division, the old Dell was very basic and I got soaked in the rain watching from the old Chocolate Boxes, and I never expected to watch the team at Wembley or follow my team in Europe.

Problem is my aspirations are now much higher and this makes the disappointment more intense.

Having that run of being second in the Prem for a good part of the 14/15 season under Koeman was a great time, and I honestly thought we might get a CL place at season's end. Wildest dreams and all that.

Hausenhustle getting us playing again will be good enough for me. Being competitive and enjoying the odd giant killing will do.

The insane thing is, we are not that hard to fix to get to a mid table side. Hughes utter reliance on zonal is what cost him his last job and this one.

Yoshida, Giant bloke, Stephens and berdanek are not the worst defenders in the league.

I would fully expect the new manager to sort our defenders out, they need confidence and go back to basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking to someone on the train today who made this comment to me re his impression of Saints.

When you think the club (under the well paid auspices of Les Reed, Ross Wilson and Ralph Kreuger) has, in recent times, spent well over £100m on Carillo, Boufal, Claisie (all on loan abroad), a Norwegian/Moroccan midfielder, three central defenders (Danish/Dutch and Polish), all of whom have been spectacularly average ( to say the least), a goalkeeper who has disappeared off the face of the earth but still paid a reported £70k a week and pay outs to failed Managers and Coaches, it is a catalogue of mismanagement of the highest order.

All those mentioned will be well paid for their collective failure whilst the rest of us have to fork out increasing amounts for an increasingly inferior product.

The new guy at the helm will deserve whatever rewards he has been promised if he can get us out of the current mess and, if he is successful, we should expect him to b*ggar off to a better job.

Having spent most of the day reflecting on the negatives, I do console myself with the thought that when I first started supporting Saints we were in the old Third Division, the old Dell was very basic and I got soaked in the rain watching from the old Chocolate Boxes, and I never expected to watch the team at Wembley or follow my team in Europe.

Problem is my aspirations are now much higher and this makes the disappointment more intense.

Let’s all ease up on the negativity for a while it’s the dawn of a new era COYR

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, you can come up with the analysis so quickly and make it look like we're idiots for what has happened. However, the hard bit is putting the right pieces in place to get it right going forward. Ask the guru on the train which defender and which striker we should buy to help us fulfil our aspirations.

Also if it helps put our situation into perspective keep an eye on Burnley - great season last season, producing good players, Europa league this season. A manager who impressed me but they're having a tough time right now as well. Yet another lauded to laughing stock case?

I can see exactly where the guy on the train (if he even really exists) is coming from. I mean, no other team in the history of the PL has ever signed a player who has failed to live up to expectations have they. A big wager earner sidelined due to lack of form? Nope, unheard of. As for payouts to failed managers, I think Souness was receiving more payouts himself from different clubs all at the same time than we are paying out to all of ours at the moment. No wonder train guy is laughing at us, he must have been following football for all of 6 months if he thinks our current situation is anything unusual

Football, like all team sports, is cyclical. Hopefully in 2 years time we'll be looking back at the last 18 months as a temporary blip. Then again it could go completely tits up and we could do a Sunderland. Both scenarios have happened over and over again in football, and will continue to do so, but we aren't laughing at any of the other clubs (except one, but we had our reasons there), why should they be laughing at us.?

The thing is, hardly any other football fans, apart from the purists, give a f*** about us, and rightly so.

Apart from recent days, we’re rarely covered by national media enough to warrant a considered response when it comes to fans of other clubs.

Burnley are shocking, but we never hear Dyche getting a bad rep, so who are we to judge? You’d probably find negativity on their forums or the Lancashire Telegraph.

The same goes for the likes of Watford, Fulham, Huddersfield, Palace and, to an extent, Brighton.

All we really see from other fans is “Oh I like to see Southampton do well, loved Le Tiss” etc.

Most aren’t clued-up enough, like we aren’t towards other clubs, to really mean we’re a laughing stock, especially with all the puff pieces about us and how great we are over the past five years. These, of course, stopped nearly a year ago when the media realised the great Pellegrino experiment was failing miserably.

Can all the people that obsess about how much we are a laughing stock tell me which clubs they themselves are currently laughing at?

If we accept the assumption that other fans are rolling around pi ssing themselves about nondescript Premier League clubs like us then there must be a nondescript club that we ourselves are currently guffawing about.

Which one is it?

Can all the people that obsess about how much we are a laughing stock tell me which clubs they themselves are currently laughing at?

If we accept the assumption that other fans are rolling around pi ssing themselves about nondescript Premier League clubs like us then there must be a nondescript club that we ourselves are currently guffawing about.

Which one is it?

Yeah how we laugh and laugh about Stoke and their failed transfers.

Guys on trains though. Heard a cockney moaning about Scousers singing You’ll Never Walk Alone the other day claiming that song as their own. #indignant