Cardiff vs Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Is anyone actually suprised by this performance? One training session will not change us.

didn't expect to see any improvement. We pressed a little bit at the start, which was good, but the longer the half has gone the worse we have looked. The formation has not helped some players

I actually think we look much better moving forward. Lots of "purpose" and guys like Austin, Redmond, Hoj, and Armstrong making good runs. Once the ball crosses midfield things change though, its like we are hanging on by a thread in the back (or Cardiff just stinks).

We'll have the wind behind us in the 2nd half. Don't underestimate how much of an effect the wind is having on passing etc.

Must be making it difficult - Cardiff have shown pace and threat on both flanks though. Haven't seen much from Armstrong or Redmond yet - Romeu, Lemina and Hojbjerg all looking ok.

Valery looks decent going forward, but a little to eager to make challenges and indecisive when a man runs at him.

Targett/Jan both are clumsy on the ball. Targett needs to cross earlier.

Lemina and Holjberg are our best players and doing some good work, along with Romeu.

Redmond is a bit anoynmous, Austin has made some good runs but clearly off the pace, but may nick a goal as he is losing his marker.

Second half i'd like to see Gabbi on for Austin, Stephens/Cedric on for Valery who looks like he will make another clumsy challenge and get sent off.

Vestergard, has had some scary moments, he tends to lose his position quite easily and is being bullied by Paterson.

Our central midfield is superior, but they are better in wide areas and generally going forward, we're guilty of overplaying when in good positions and then being countered. I'd take a draw as we're a bit off the pace compared to the Man Utd performance.

I'm at a loss to know what Stephens did to deserve to be dropped. He was our best defender for the last two games.

This back four, against a better side than Cardiff, would have let in 3 or 4 by now. Vestergaard has been atrocious, Targett has made a handful of howlers and gifted them chances, and Valery will be very lucky not to get a second yellow the way he's going.

Going forward, we don't seem to have any plan or shape when attacking. Not getting in behind at all, and our best chance fell to Lemina who really had to do better with the time and space he had.

Ralph really has got his work cut out to get this lot playing like a team.