Cardiff 1 Saints 0 Post Match

St Chalet

We are terrible. This back four and this squad will take us down no matter who the manager is.

Yet so many have argued it is a mid-table squad! Apart from the Vestergaard howler the two players who disappointed most were Targett and Armstrong who barely featured. Task for RH is huge.

Disgusting performance by a bunch of second rate players, no new manager effect today.

Give the new manager a chance to get rid of most of these poor players who aren't worth persisting with and we may go down with a bit of a fight. We are the worst team in the Premiership by a long way.

Shambolic defending. Before they scored we seemed in control. What was that all about. Too many defensive errors. Jack Stephens should now be the first choice CB. Changing the back four as he did was a mistake. Lemina was our best player by far today. I always felt nervous about this as his first game in charge. Changing the team and formation I think put pressure on the team. I know we are glad Hughes has gone but maybe a more cautious Hughes would have got a result. But we need to fix the long term so let's get on with it.

Horrible performance and result.

But take a deep breath, Ralph now has a whole week to work out who his best team is I.e. not Vestergarrd, Austin or Targett.

He picked today’s team based on what he saw from training on Thursday in which none of the team from the spurs game were involved.

He said as much today.

We have the spine of a mid table team... give it some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know people don't like Hoedt, but I think with the right coaching he'll be alright for us.

It looks like Bednarek and Stephens are the best of a poor bunch of central defenders. I really think we should try to offload Vestergaard and Hoedt in January and use the money top buy one good central defender. Les Reed has wasted a huge amount of money and left us with an utter shambles. It's going to take at least a couple of transfer windows to sort that out.

Trying to move the ball quicker meant losing it more often, with only one days practice.

It was inevitable with our defence that a pub player would score.

On a positive note, Lemina will flourish in this system, but we need Cedric and Bertrand, or replacements to make it work, the stand ins are not up to it.

Thanks also to Neil Moss for giving us **** all all afternoon. He would have given both penalty shouts if it was Liverpool or Arsenal.

Agreed. Lemina was excellent today.

And Moss gave us the square root of f**k all. Again.

Just back from the game. Player ratings ...Shiiiite. Any Manager that brings on Prowsey wowsey to save the game is a pathetic ignorant t&sser.

That utter shambolic mess on an average of £6othou a week should be shot abattoir style..... ie captive bolt. Good f***cking riddance.

Two Championship sides. One with bottle and resilience, the other with 11 disinterested useless ****s. Vestergaard, Targett, Valery, Romeu, Austin all woeful.

We’ll need 5/6 players in January to have even a sniff of staying up.

Disagree about Romeu - he played well, broke up attacks and distributed well.

Just back from the game. Player ratings ...Shiiiite. Any Manager that brings on Prowsey wowsey to save the game is a pathetic ignorant t&sser.

That utter shambolic mess on an average of £6othou a week should be shot abattoir style..... ie captive bolt. Good f***cking riddance.

ab61a2c6df78540c25880bbe0bb5be5b.jpg

Out played by a newly promoted Cardiff, with a bunch of players barely PL level (allegedly) managed by Warnock FFS...

If anyone need evidence as to just how poor our squad is it was here. Hopefully Ralph can do enough to keep us up but we aren't going anywhere without a massive overhaul of this terrible squad.

Not happy then?

[emoji23][emoji1787]

I never want to see Vestegaard or Targett in a Saints shirt again. Bother of them were L2 standard at best today.

I don't think I have ever watched a Saints team make so many individual errors in one game. If we had been playing Man City today they would have got a rugby score.

Might have been a different story if the ref hadn't been such a useless pr!ck and given us at least one of the two blatant penalties, but that would have flattered us. We were woeful in defence and ineffective in attack. Don't recall their keeper making a single save.

I didn't expect us to look immediately better under the new manager, but I also didn't expect us to put in our worst performance of the season by a country mile either.

So true.

Vestergaard is an international, WHAT!!!!!. Who the hell signed him. Carillo. Boufal, etc. Any Saints fan seeing them before they signed would have said, either too slow, can't jump, greedy, too small, etc etc don't even think about it. Yet we rubbished the best part of £100m on crap.Black box, Les Reed, Ross Wilson are incompetent. Any fool can see that Soares is too small, Targett is dopey and slow, Hojbjerg tries hard but creates nothing, Lamina needs to do his tricks in the penalty area, Bednerek is work in progress, Armstrong, Redmond and Austin received the ball too late.

Stephens needs a kicking to wake him up. Decent defender with an aversion to putting his foot through the ball when needed. We had that point in the bag until we committed suicide with pitty patty at the back and Vestergaard's attempt at a back pass was just one of loads of similar errors misplacing passes when under no pressure. McCarthy hardly had a save to make.

I have a feeling they are going to get what they deserve this coming week.

Horrible performance and result.

But take a deep breath, Ralph now has a whole week to work out who his best team is I.e. not Vestergarrd, Austin or Targett.

He picked today’s team based on what he saw from training on Thursday in which none of the team from the spurs game were involved.

He said as much today.

We have the spine of a mid table team... give it some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you are correct they are all crap.. but so are the players that replace them. We don't have one good reliable CB in the whole squad, we don't have one decent regular goal scoring striker in the squad, the two back up full backs aren't as good as the first choice fullbacks who are **** poor themselves. The midfield is OK but not particularly good either. The only part of the squad that is half decent is GK.

Yet so many have argued it is a mid-table squad!

I'll say it again, anyone who thinks this is a mid-table squad that is just in need of a good manager is utterly delusional. At least 4 new players who will fit immediately into the first team and hit the ground running required, and even if we get them we may well be too far adrift by the time we get them. We have comfortably the worst defence in this league, and tbh I don't think that would be too far from the truth if the league they were playing in was the Championship. No other team I can ever remember seeing at this level has the amount of ridiculous basic errors in it than this one does. Truly unbelievable.

Defence was poor but I saw positive signs. Won't win our next game but can see us picking 4 or 6 points in the Huddersfield and West Ham games. Think we are going to stay up. Will need Bertrand and Ings back pretty sharpish though.

On a positive note we needn't worry if a center back gets suspended or a knock as they are all as bad as each other. I don't expect Ralph to turn them into Cannavaro but he'll get them some better protection from central midfield.

Remaining 2018 fixtures coming up ..... Arse(h) L, Udders(a) D, Spam(h) D, Citeh(h) L

IMO we're looking at 2/3 points from remaining 2018 fixtures giving us 11/12 points from 20 games played.

Too much unrealistic expectations on here, going to take the new man some time to turn this rudderless ship.

My hope is that he can mold the team into some kind of winning group by Jan 1st as IMO they will need at the very least 23 points from 18 games, equivalent of 49 points over a season, just to have a sniff of safety.

Ralph has a big, big job on his hands. It's on a knife edge IMO.

I'll say it again, anyone who thinks this is a mid-table squad that is just in need of a good manager is utterly delusional. At least 4 new players who will fit immediately into the first team and hit the ground running required, and even if we get them we may well be too far adrift by the time we get them. We have comfortably the worst defence in this league, and tbh I don't think that would be too far from the truth if the league they were playing in was the Championship. No other team I can ever remember seeing at this level has the amount of ridiculous basic errors in it than this one does. Truly unbelievable.

Hard to disagree with any of that. We aren't any great shakes up top either. How Ross Wilson is still in a job is beyond me, it is hard to imagine how anybody could have done a worse job of recruitment in the past 2 years. The fact we have 2 record signings out on loan, a 4th choice GK on 80k a week with a long term contract, plus a squad that lacks competition in key positions, pace and a strong mentality, is a damning indictment.

McCarthy (7) came and missed one cross. Saved well from a low cross and came out brilliantly to deny Murphy...and that was about that. Unlike just about everyone else, he couldn't be blamed for goal.

Valery (4) looked off the pace, tired or not quick enough. Those that know him better will tell you which. Deserved his booking and the manager couldn't trust him to come out for second half. Stephens (6) looked assured and much stronger when replacing him, using his strength to force Murphy up blind allies. Murphy disappeared as a result.

Bednerek (4) looked slow to me. He's not huge and dominant in the air, so what facet to his game did attract our scouts to him? His mistake in the first half should have cost us a goal but he got away with it. I don't think he is better than Stephens. That is not a ringing endorsement.

Vestergaard (3) also looked slow. Slow on the ball too and Cardiff sensed it and chased him harder than the rest. Premier league players smell blood. He is a weak link. He did win some headers, but the error for the goal is worse than Hoedt. Who the hell scouted this guy?

Target was Target (5). I'm tired of saying what he can't do at this level. For years and years Saints struggled. We got two strong pacey fullbacks and added a centre back or two that were winners and we had the best defence around. Weak, slow full backs paired with try hard CBs equal relegation fodder again,

Redmond (5). Complete non entity in the first half. I want to blame the change in shape and him being asked to play more central, but who knows if it was formation or player. In the second half he offered much more, mostly for wider positions. Was there a slight change is shape or did he move out there to find space. Still didn't do quite enough though. We lack flair and he's the only flair player. If he doesn't do anything we are ****ed. He doesn't do anything I hear you say. Well we are ****ed.

Armstrong (4). Less of an entity than Redmond in the first half and thats saying something. Not a lot in the second half either.

Hoj (6), Lemina (6) and Romeu (7) all seemed to get in each others way a little. Lemina looked lost in the first half. The formation did nothing for him. Do we need three holding CM against Cardiff? . Romeu was or best player in the first half, Lemina the second, but none offered the quality of forward pass required. Lemina beat a man now and then but it never led to a fast break, just a little more room for him to pass it to Target who then crossed to nothing.

I thought Austin (3) was another level of uselessness today. The best thing and only thing he did all day was chase back and win a tackle. That only occurred because he had yet again lost the ball, which he did all game...all ****ing game. His link up play is terrible. We created nothing today and one of the main reasons for that is every time we got it forward to him he lost it. Every single time. You cant have one up front that cant hold the ball up. I have no issue with the fella. He tries his best, they all do, but he's simply not up to it at this level.

JWP and Gabbi didn't make any difference really. How much did we spend on Elyounoussi again? We create nothing, we need a goal and yet no one is calling for him to come on. Says it all.

I honestly don't see a way out of this hole. We need new players, but need to sell players to get them. Who is there left to sell?

Edited by Chez

We need pace to play the new manager’s preferred system. We were lacking it before; it’s an even bigger need now.

Yep, which in itself is a worry. I'm a believer that you need some pace in ANY sytem, and I don't think we've signed anyone who has it since we signed Mane (and no, Redmond doesn't have it before anyone tries to claim that...) Cheers Les.

Well, on the plus side it gives the Reed haters plenty more opportunities to vent their spleen. Many of these players have played at international level. Perhaps they need to look at their own contributions and show us why we bought them in the first place. Reed is well out of the picture now. Even Eric Black no longer gets a mention. The people on the pitch are paid to do a job. They need to start earning their wages. Blaming Reed just let’s them off the hook.

Remaining 2018 fixtures coming up ..... Arse(h) L, Udders(a) D, Spam(h) D, Citeh(h) L

IMO we're looking at 2/3 points from remaining 2018 fixtures giving us 11/12 points from 20 games played.

Too much unrealistic expectations on here, going to take the new man some time to turn this rudderless ship.

My hope is that he can mold the team into some kind of winning group by Jan 1st as IMO they will need at the very least 23 points from 18 games, equivalent of 49 points over a season, just to have a sniff of safety.

Ralph has a big, big job on his hands. It's on a knife edge IMO.

The ship has been heading towards the championship for quite a long time now. I cant be bothered to argue when exactly, lets agree on ages ago. Turning it round is incredibly difficult. I don't think anyone can do it. If we go down I don't think I can blame the manager. Yes he has ages, but with this squad the financial restrictions on him I don't think there is anything he can do. I doubt we will get another point this year...I honestly believe that.

Bunch of wet wipes on here. We all knew the squad is toilet! Give the new manager to suss out what the score is and implement new system / philosophies.

Yes we need a clear out Jan our defense is weak beyond weak.

talk me through how that is done exactly? You use the `term clear' but I don't think we manage to offload anyone. Not one player in January IMO.

So the only bright spot was Ralph coming over at the end and applauding is and making clear with a series of Austrian hand gestures that he was as embarrassed as we were by our shambolic sh1tshow of a defence. He got a decent round of applause.

Matt Targett? How did he stay on at half time? Only coz Valery had a yellow I guess. Vestergaard? Gah.

One of the reasons we kept giving it away was that they’d clearly been told to get it forward more quickly. Lemina was class as usual, Redmond had the odd run, but we lost to a team that would struggle to be mid table in the Championship without troubling the keeper.

Conditions were awful but we were worse.

Still think Ralph can turn it round though - got a feeling about him. Let’s hope they let him pick a couple of players he wants in January, and that we sell 4 or 5 even if sell them cheap.

Looking forward to Huddersfield.

Wow, just wow. That was beyond horrendous. A worse performance you will not see. Going down.

A screamer from Armstrong apart, this was pretty similar to Fulham. We control the ball, do little with it, then are hit on the break and then defenders don't do their job...defend our goal. I could nto agree more. We are going down.

we should not be 5 points behind Cardiff, yet we are.

awful, awful and awful once more.

honestly if I had foresight then I wouldn't mind going down and getting promoted again the way Newcastle did in 2016-17...

It is not that easy took us 7 years last time and a potential bankruptcy

Imagine the costs we will carry with our famous deep roster