Cardiff 1 Saints 0 Post Match

St Chalet

Going down. Simple
Basically. New manager or no new manager we've managed to become the worst team in the league.

Question though. If Hughes was still in charge would we have lost that game? He probably wouldn't have started Vestergard

I guess long term we are better off though?

Edited by BotleySaint

Lost when we should't have, 2nd half we defended way better than the first but at the end of the day they weren't going to miss all the chances presented to them on a plate. We didnt create nothing. Lots of work for the new man. Also that light show after FT, as said many times on this forum. Mess.

I never want to see Vestegaard or Targett in a Saints shirt again. Bother of them were L2 standard at best today.

I don't think I have ever watched a Saints team make so many individual errors in one game. If we had been playing Man City today they would have got a rugby score.

Might have been a different story if the ref hadn't been such a useless pr!ck and given us at least one of the two blatant penalties, but that would have flattered us. We were woeful in defence and ineffective in attack. Don't recall their keeper making a single save.

I didn't expect us to look immediately better under the new manager, but I also didn't expect us to put in our worst performance of the season by a country mile either.

Basically. New manager or no new manager we've managed to become the worst team in the league.

Question though. If Hughes was still in charge would we have lost that game? He probably wouldn't have started Vestergard

I don’t think it would’ve mattered. That could just as easily have been hoedt or Yoshi.

Positive - full week of training for Ralph to start trying to sort this **** show out

Trying to move the ball quicker meant losing it more often, with only one days practice.

It was inevitable with our defence that a pub player would score.

On a positive note, Lemina will flourish in this system, but we need Cedric and Bertrand, or replacements to make it work, the stand ins are not up to it.

Thanks also to Neil Moss for giving us **** all all afternoon. He would have given both penalty shouts if it was Liverpool or Arsenal.

If one good thing comes from this, it'll be that Hassenhuttl realises that half the squad isn't good enough.

That's been clear for a long time to all but the permanently deluded hasn't it? Good teams need good players. If I was MH I'd be having a good old chuckle right now.

This defence is shambolic, attack not much better.

Exactly. That defensive display was possibly the worst I have ever seen in this league. Cardiff should have had more. Abysmal. But then look at the other end - **** all created all match. Against CARDIFF. Our problems are all over the side, the players we bought in the summer to improve us have made us worse. Vestergaard is WORSE than Hoedt. Let that sink in for a minute.

We have 3 of the top 6 to play before we can buy anyone to do anything about this utterly embarrassing shambles, and I wouldn't back us to get anything in the other game against Huddersfield.

We are unbelievably ****e. Vestergard criminal negligence in defence...but only one of an incredible number of punishable mistakes made by just about everyone. Lemina showed his class. Austin terrible as usual. Defence totally shambolic. Only positive for me is Hasenhutl will have seen just how devoid we are of both defence and attack.

Still in touch with teams above us so that's a plus. I dare say all the people who are saying we're going down, we're going to do a Sunderland blah blah bore blah are the same ones that spouted the exact same lines last season ...? Yes, we're a bit cr*p at the moment but so are half a dozen other teams, plenty of time to put things right.

Brainless. It's pelting down with rain and windy and Vestergaard thinks now's the time for a flick backpass.

Need a clearout in the summer regardless of where we are playing.

We were slightly unlucky only in the sense that we should have had at least one penalty from the Armstrong/Redmond challenges.

Hopefully Obafemi or Gallagher will be fit soon as gabbi looked lost and Austin just isn't mobile.

The positives were that Bednarek played well(barring one error trying to control a ball). Stephens came on & did ok, even out ofhis favourite position.

I don't think I've ever seen such a catalogue of defensive errors. Virtually all their chances came from one of our defenders screwing up a simple pass. Unforgivable stuff. The goal was the icing on the cake - and people wonder why Hoedt gets a game...!

Going forward we play ok but we don't have any pace whatsoever, so it's so easy for them to defend against - they just crowd us and we forced to play ridiculously intricate football which inevitably leads to losing the ball.

Will be amazing if we survive. We have a handful of decent players going forward, but we don't have a good enough range of options and our defenders are shambolic. That wasn't the system today and it wasn't zonal marking. It was a bunch a sh1t footballers somehow getting a game in the Premier League.

Feels more desperate than it prob is. Yes, way too many errors, only part excused by the conditions. Vestergaard a huge worry. I feel like we screwed up in bringing him in. Despite his height, he's not that dominant in the air at the back, and he's DEFINITELY prone to clumsy touches and mis-passes. Job no 1 for H will be to figure out the right back pairing. My money on Bednarek and Yoshida. Yoshida, despite v occasional mistakes, is a really talented footballer with a heart of gold. Stephens also strong. V shd be sold in my opinion.

But what was good was seeing the combo of Lemina, Hoj and Romeu with Armstrong and Redmond ahead of them. that is a dynamic, winning midfield. I think the one thing we truly badly need in January is a deadly striker. That's been our achilles heel last two years since loss of Mane. If we get one in, the other pieces are there for a killer team.

Even this game we'd have won with reasonable refereeing.

I vote to remain a believer. But wow, it's been a long time since football came with celebration.

We were getting to grips with the game in the 2nd half. Ok so we weren't creating much (as usual) but Saints were looking comfortable. But who wasn't waiting for the massive screw up that would hand a goal to Cardiff? So damn predictable. Also predictable that we wouldn't get an equaliser.

Ralph certainly has his work cut out.

I don't think I've ever seen such a catalogue of defensive errors. Virtually all their chances came from one of our defenders screwing up a simple pass. Unforgivable stuff. The goal was the icing on the cake - and people wonder why Hoedt gets a game...!

Going forward we play ok but we don't have any pace whatsoever, so it's so easy for them to defend against - they just crowd us and we forced to play ridiculously intricate football which inevitably leads to losing the ball.

Will be amazing if we survive. We have a handful of decent players going forward, but we don't have a good enough range of options and our defenders are shambolic. That wasn't the system today and it wasn't zonal marking. It was a bunch a sh1t footballers somehow getting a game in the Premier League.

We need pace to play the new manager’s preferred system. We were lacking it before; it’s an even bigger need now.

Thank God that the board got rid of Hughes early enough for Hasenhuttl to have enough time to turn things around. Now he knows exactly what he needs to do. The defence needs urgent attention. Targett and Vestergaard should not feature again in a hurry. At least when Bertrand is back and Cedric plays, the full backs are generally better. But there were careless mistakes all over the pitch today. The mistake by Vestergaard was unforgivable. I didn't think Austin did badly, although he didn't get the service. But for the mistake that gifted them the goal, this match was headed to a nil-nil borefest. As it is, we have passed up yet another opportunity to take points away from a direct rival of ours, as we have done all season so far. The only consolation is that we have the chance to play them all again this season, and we really do need to win all of those matches to redress the balance. The other plus is that apart from Hasenhuttl having the chance to improve the players we have tactically and mentally, he will be able to address our shortcomings in the January transfer window.