Matt Targett - not good enough

Dusic

1. Bertrand is far, far superior despite the calls on here for Targett to play. Sooner he is available the better (same as usual).

2. As has always been the case since his debut, Targett lacks the yard of pace you need as a PL fullback.

3. To not take Fulham's £15m looks to be yet another of Reed's poor errors of judgement.

Not good enough at PL level. Simple as.

Lighten up you crumpets the lad played rubbish today give him a fair crack of the whip..... Saints fans are so quick to scapegoat..

He's had several cracks of the whip tbf. If we'd signed him rather than brought him through our academy, we'd all be baffled at why he's still here.

The spurs game was the first time I've seen him play in a while and his lack of pace was absolutely glaring. He is never going to be a premier league player

Yep, agree, if Targett wasn't an academy graduate it's hard to think he would be still part of the squad - should have been sold to Fulham, even Sam McQueen would have been a better retention, though he too is probably not good enough. One of the noticeable things at Cardiff was the lack of run, speed and width from both full backs,. made worse by Redmond appearing to play more central. Targett's playing days are numbered.

I've always held the opinion that McQueen is the better of the two. We should have taken the money for Targett in the summer and kept McQueen as backup for Bertrand.

Targett will never be more than a Championship standard player imo.

McQueen would be a much better fit for how Ralph's teams play.

McQueen would be a much better fit for how Ralph's teams play.

Yep I agree. McQueen at least looks physically more like a real footballer, whereas Targett is just far too lightweight and slow.

He gets brushed off the ball too easily and he's scared to put in a tackle.

He made it so easy for Mendez-Laing to get past him time and time again yesterday. it was pathetic and painful to watch.

The only time I have ever seen him be even slightly effective is when he played as LWB with Bertrand behind him on the left of a back 3. But I doubt very much we will see that system from RH.

Pretty pathetic thread really. I’d not write him off just yet. He’s come into a side bereft of any confidence, defensively making mistakes. I seem to recall plenty criticising Romeu during his poor form, and yet plenty happy to see him start yesterday. He had a poor game as well. Valery struggled, should we write him off as well?

Seriously lads get a grip

Pretty pathetic thread really. I’d not write him off just yet. He’s come into a side bereft of any confidence, defensively making mistakes. I seem to recall plenty criticising Romeu during his poor form, and yet plenty happy to see him start yesterday. He had a poor game as well. Valery struggled, should we write him off as well?

Seriously lads get a grip

He has played over 30 games for Saints and I have rarely been impressed, including during the Koeman era when he was coming into a flourishing team. How many more does he need?

His biggest problem is a lack of pace - and he won't suddenly develop that.

My opinion is that he isn't a PL quality player. After that many games its not "pathetic" to draw that conclusion. He is miles off Bertrand's quality level.

(FWIW I think Targett is better than McQueen too - he isnt a PL player either)

Poor player, always has been, always will be.

Our squad is littered with slow, average players on disgusting wages... thanks les

Slow? Yes. Disgusting wages? Yes. But average players? No way. If they were average we would be tenth in the league. Most of our squad are mediocre, poor, squad fillers, of below average quality. That’s why we are struggling - poor players, poor recruitment.