What is our Best Defence?

doddisalegend

So it seems like we've tried every combo of our defensive players so far this season with no really improvement in our performances. They all seem equally as prone to horrible mistakes, lapses in concentration and generally ****ness as each other. So a simple question what is our best defence with the current personal available (assuming everyone's fit)?

First I guess you have decide weather we play four or five at the back? personally I'd rather have the extra body in midfield so its four at the back for me.

So at LB its Bertrand yeah he looks like he doesn't give a ****, and at times looks like he is not even trying but even then he looks far better than Targett.

CB Yoshida yeah he has his moments but he gives a ****, is the closest thing we have to a club man, is a captain (of Japan at least) and as he proved under Puel generally gets better if he plays regularly.

CB this one is trickier but I'm going to plump for Jack Stephens mostly because he seems a bit less **** than the others

RB Cedric there is no getting away from the fact he has been absolute crap this season so far and I thought Valery did well against Man U but as yesterday showed Valery isn't really there yet so again despite being awful Cedric is still better than Valery.

So come on then what is everyone's opinions on our best available defence right now.

God knows, to be honest. Bertrand is an absolute shoe in even if he doesn't give a toss, followed by two of Bednerek, Stephens and Yoshida, and an awful Cedric with no competition.

And there ladies and gents, is the reason why we are screwed.

There's no good answer from our current squad.

RB: it's either a half-assed Cedric, a green as anything Valery, or an out of position Stephens. Going younger, Kayne Ramsey is captain of the u18s, but doesn't look any more promising than Valery at this stage. (Cedric)

LB: if Bertrand can wake up, it's a no brainer. Targett is worse than McQueen, who we loaned out, and Vokes, who is highly rated but very young.

CB: oh boy, here's where it gets ugly. Vestergaard is a write off - whoever sanctioned that transfer should never work in football again. Slow paced, slow witted, cumbersome. Worst of all, he doesn't even compensate for his basic shortcomings by using his ridiculous girth to dominate physically or in the air.

Yoshida gets better and better every time he's out of the team. He was approaching world class status a month or so back. As soon as we starting picking him again, however, reality reminded us that he's utter dreck. Sadly, he has no remain in contention because he's the only CB we've got who can run.

Stephens and Bednarek - flip a coin. You'll get roughly the same output from them; some moments of promise interspersed with dismal calamity. Bednarek probably has better positioning, while Stephens is the more rounded player. Neither is particularly good, however.

Hoedt is awful. And, occasionally, our best defender. This is the hell in which we reside. He's capable of doing some good things, but is frequently undermined by being weaker than a sick kitten, with the balance of an inebriated ice skating pensioner, all wrapped up in with an air of thinking he's above all of this and we should be thankful he's deigned to slum it with us for a while on his journey to footballing immortality.

I don't know if Alfie Jones can be recalled from his loan, but he's another classical Southampton Way production: tidy, but almost unbelievably slow.

Of the kids, Christoph Klarer (18) looks a decent prospect, but from what I've seen lacks mobility. It barely seems likely we're going to throw a teenage CB into a relegation battle, but things are getting desperate. Allan Tchapchet looked a unit for the u18s the other day, but he's only 16.

Bednarek/Hoedt. (maybe - it's kind of like asking how you'd most like to be tortured to death)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Cedric and Bertrand are virtually no brainers, seeing as we started the season with only Cedric at right back and no back up, so have had to promote the best option we have from the youth, and Targett is no Bertrand.

That leaves the Centre backs. Jeez. Do we play 2, or 3 in the hope that the three of them make a passable duo? IMO that's just one extra poor centre back to make a mistake. It has to be two at the back or it stifles creativity. But picking may as well be done by putting their names in a hat and picking out two. In my head our best chance of survival through until January when we can remedy it, if we do, is Yoshida and Hoedt. Give them some games together. However I'm tempted by Stephens in Yoshida's place.

Hard, hard decision but it's Cedric, Yoshida, Hoedt, Bertrand for me.

In January we need a right back, centre back, Defensive midfield brick schithouse, creative midfielder, winger style player and a striker. Over to you Hassenhuttl.

In January we need a right back, centre back, Defensive midfield brick schithouse, creative midfielder, winger style player and a striker. Over to you Hassenhuttl.

Dream on. I'll be very surprised and pleased if we get any one of those.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is how bad it is - Stephens is proving very popular. Not bad for a player whose two main flaws are that he can’t head a ball and his positional play is crap. He looks good on the ball however.

I’m desperately hoping that RH will bring the best out of two of the five clowns we employ but as to who they would be is anyone’s guess.

Stephens and Yoshida have shown time and again that as a pairing they just cannot stop teams from scoring at will against them.

Individually decent, but too lightweight when paired together.

I would go Stephens and Vestergaard in the hope that JV shows a big improvement.

Need a CB in January to stay up though.

There's no good answer from our current squad.

RB: it's either a half-assed Cedric, a green as anything Valery, or an out of position Stephens. Going younger, Kayne Ramsey is captain of the u18s, but doesn't look any more promising than Valery at this stage. (Cedric)

LB: if Bertrand can wake up, it's a no brainer. Targett is worse than McQueen, who we loaned out, and Vokes, who is highly rated but very young.

CB: oh boy, here's where it gets ugly. Vestergaard is a write off - whoever sanctioned that transfer should never work in football again. Slow paced, slow witted, cumbersome. Worst of all, he doesn't even compensate for his basic shortcomings by using his ridiculous girth to dominate physically or in the air.

Yoshida gets better and better every time he's out of the team. He was approaching world class status a month or so back. As soon as we starting picking him again, however, reality reminded us that he's utter dreck. Sadly, he has no remain in contention because he's the only CB we've got who can run.

Stephens and Bednarek - flip a coin. You'll get roughly the same output from them; some moments of promise interspersed with dismal calamity. Bednarek probably has better positioning, while Stephens is the more rounded player. Neither is particularly good, however.

Hoedt is awful. And, occasionally, our best defender. This is the hell in which we reside. He's capable of doing some good things, but is frequently undermined by being weaker than a sick kitten, with the balance of an inebriated ice skating pensioner, all wrapped up in with an air of thinking he's above all of this and we should be thankful he's deigned to slum it with us for a while on his journey to footballing immortality.

I don't know if Alfie Jones can be recalled from his loan, but he's another classical Southampton Way production: tidy, but almost unbelievably slow.

Of the kids, Christoph Klarer (18) looks a decent prospect, but from what I've seen lacks mobility. It barely seems likely we're going to throw a teenage CB into a relegation battle, but things are getting desperate. Allan Tchapchet looked a unit for the u18s the other day, but he's only 16.

Bednarek/Hoedt. (maybe - it's kind of like asking how you'd most like to be tortured to death)

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Haha. Spot on, really.

Cedric and Bertrand, can't see past them, both need a bit of a kick up the behind to find nearer their top level. At their best they are top 6 full backs, but they have both this season been a long way short.

As for centre-backs I have no idea.

What we are getting from Hoedt and Vestergaard IMO cannot be the level of these players, these are both guys who have played regularly for good clubs and have been well rated by independent observers, they are both internationals, Vestergaard was playing Champions League two seasons ago. There was something there that made us pay like £18 million for these players, it needs to be found.

IMO Stephens and Yoshida are not good enough, but I think crucially what we need to find is a partnership, even those two under Puel looked solid enough (certainly not relegation level defence). The other issue with those two is the completely lack aerial presence, that is an issue defensively but it also means we lack attacking threat for set pieces the other end.

Considering Vestergaard made horrendous errors v Cardiff and Yoshida made them v Spurs, I'd expect Ralph to drop them, which means it'll be Hoedt, Stephens or Bednerak for Arsenal.

I wonder if his selections were horses for courses, going for more aerial focused centre-backs vs a more direct Cardiff team, and whether he'll want more faster/ball playing centre-backs for Arsenal so we might see Hoedt + Stephens or Stephens + Yoshida I reckon.

My View;

RB: Cedric hands down, unless an improvement is signed (which would be hard to find), he has to start. Don't get the hate. Very good player. Valery im sure will be half decent.

LB: Bertrand, we won't sign a better LB unless pricey and from top club. I think he will change his ways and needs better management, not the ****e we've had past 2 or 3 blokes. He is suited to the new system and can be deadly when he bombs on. Targett should've been sold to Fulham, McQueen aint that great either.

CB: This is the #mess.

Hoedt, shouldnt have signed him, utter clown and never been any good. For some reason he thinks he is Varne.

Vestergaard, anyone with a brain that saw him clown about in German football wouldn't have signed him. Has the turning circle of a cargo ship and the pace of a sloth. You'd think being 100ft tall no-one would beat him in the air, but i reckon Stephens would beat him.

Stephens: Tidy player on the deck, can be half decent. Cannot attack the ball in the Air. I'd probably start him.

Yoshida: He needs games to get better, always plays ok with a good CB along side him.

Berdanek: Think he has potential, seemed ok on Saturday. Couple of scary moments.

Biggest problem for our CB's has been "protection" infront of them. As much as I love Lemina, and Hoj is good now and then, they don't really sit there and press at the right times. I'm guessing that's why Rom played Saturday and he seemed to do this ok, strangely thou Rom has lost all his speed and pace. Also we have no leader at the back, someone who throw ****s into anyone who dares clown about. Fonte, Toby, VVD wouldn't have stood for this nonsense playing along side them.

I'm really not sure how RaHa can make our CB's any better, he can work on tactics etc, but individual errors cost us, and when someone is a moron.... it's hard to stop that.

We can probably scrape by if he can get us defending before it even gets a chance to fall to our CB's. Which seems unlikely.

Summary: Sell, Loan or Terminate contracts of Hoedt and Vesta. Sign Cahill or someone on 6 month deal to get us over line. Play Stephens, Berdanek or Yoshida until this point.

#mess

Edited by Cabbage_Face

well the end of the 2016-17 season saw us use Cedric, Stephens, Yoshida and Bertrand...

it wasn't amazing, but it did a job.

and if rumours are to be true, then Bertrand aside Stephens and Yoshida are certainly likeliest to show the 'passion' that we all want...

I always like to see how a team does after players or managers leave, and Vestergaard's former team now sit in 2nd position this season... so what does that say? I also always had my doubts of buying someone who cannot even make Denmark's national team, given Kjaer was there I do not particularly rate... again it is a hope he comes good, but I do not have faith he will.

Wesley Hoedt was bought in to play with 'VVD' and he is the one who I think can still come good, maybe if he was to get on the weights some more to have that stature that he lacks.

Bednarek came in towards end of last season and actually played decent at times, so much so that he ended up starting for Poland in the WC.

I have a feeling that it is a confidence issue for a lot of these centrebacks, just need Hasenhuttl to work his magic in restoring this and actually drilling some defensive nuance into them

Yoshida is the only CB with any pace (I haven't seen enough of Bednarek to be sure, but don't think he is particularly quick), but isn't great in the air. I know he isn't brilliant or consistent, but he has also had some excellent games. I'd rather play someone who can be good but can be bad rather than someone who has never been good...

I've tried to summarise in a table - the problem of being "error prone" is taken as a given with all combinations... Feel free to suggest corrections to this table if you disagree!

Saints CBs.JPG

I've never at any point thought that Stephens or Bednarek looked like a Premier League defender. The former once looked okay in an ultra defensive Puel set up but last season I generally felt that Hoedt looked better.

For now I'd go with Yoshi and Hoedt. Not saying they're good but both would look alright if we can train the mistakes out of them.

Probably Bertrand-Hoedt-Vesterguard-Cedric. Yet all 4 are short of confidence and I'm not sure we've ever started that back 4.

Whatever it is we need it to play together 5-10 games to find out and people will have to put up with a few mistakes along the way. Look at what City and United spent on centre backs, with much of it wasted along the way. It's not a position you write some off in after a few mistakes and not an area of the pitch you want constant change.

Our defence wouldn't be such a problem if we could score goals. A fck up didn't cost us a win yesterday it cost us a draw. We need to be going places like that knowing we can score a couple not needing a clean sheet to draw.

This is the best 4, although Bednarek also a bit unlucky.

Hoedt and Vestegaard at their best are better than the other centre backs, just completely void of confidence / have a habit of doing something silly, which Yoshida and Stephens have also done this season!

This is the best 4, although Bednarek also a bit unlucky.

Hoedt and Vestegaard at their best are better than the other centre backs, just completely void of confidence / have a habit of doing something silly, which Yoshida and Stephens have also done this season!

Hoedt and Vestergaard?! Jesus, the slowest and most error prone pair of centre backs the world has ever seen! Of the 10 possible combinations I think this would be 10th on my list...

Yes, this worked for the second half of the season under Puel. Have Romeu in front of them, not straying too far forward. Bednarek as first CB backup, Hoedt as second CB backup, and Vestergaard in the U18s/sold.

Pretty much how I see it. The real problem is we don't have any quality at CB - therefore I think we have to at least get consistency - play the same players, let them get used to each other, stop chopping and changing.

So it seems like we've tried every combo of our defensive players so far this season with no really improvement in our performances. They all seem equally as prone to horrible mistakes, lapses in concentration and generally ****ness as each other. So a simple question what is our best defence with the current personal available (assuming everyone's fit)?

First I guess you have decide weather we play four or five at the back? personally I'd rather have the extra body in midfield so its four at the back for me.

So at LB its Bertrand yeah he looks like he doesn't give a ****, and at times looks like he is not even trying but even then he looks far better than Targett.

CB Yoshida yeah he has his moments but he gives a ****, is the closest thing we have to a club man, is a captain (of Japan at least) and as he proved under Puel generally gets better if he plays regularly.

CB this one is trickier but I'm going to plump for Jack Stephens mostly because he seems a bit less **** than the others

RB Cedric there is no getting away from the fact he has been absolute crap this season so far and I thought Valery did well against Man U but as yesterday showed Valery isn't really there yet so again despite being awful Cedric is still better than Valery.

So come on then what is everyone's opinions on our best available defence right now.

One doubts we'll be invited to offer an opinion, isn't this the new manager's job?

Stephens and Bednarek are poor IMO but play as well as you could expect of their level. Hoedt and Vesterguard are a level above them but both performed poorly so frustrate everyone, mainly due to the fees paid. Yoshi I think is alright IF he has a good in-form CB partner.

I'd loan out Bednarek, sell one and sign one.

Bizarre how anyone could suggest loaning out the only of the starting back 4 on saturday to play ok.

Yes, this worked for the second half of the season under Puel. Have Romeu in front of them, not straying too far forward.

Everyone seems to miss the point and the need to have a proper holding midfielder with the added bonus of being half decent in the air. I know he didn't have his best season last year but Romeu coming back into the team will make a huge difference to any of the CB's that are paired together! It was also good to see the new manager recalled him to the side to do this job.

Attack

All the defenders have weaknesses and prone to individual mistakes. What they have all lacked I believe is any structure and organisation around them which I would blame the management for. Also think we are weak in midfield defenders and who are incapable of breaking up play retaining the ball and protecting the defence.

I am sure RH will help some of this but we def need to change a few players out before we see this get better

I'd be tempted to put Stephens at RB and Bertrand at LB.

The two CB positions are anyone's guess.

Probably Yoshida and Bednarek.

As mentioned above, in the short term we need Romeu sat deep to try and shore things up. But he ain't going to stop the individual errors we keep seeing every week.

Damage limitation until we can get someone in during the January window.

Have no stomach for seeing Vestergaard in a Saints shirt ever again.....

I still think there is a good player in Hoedt. He reminds me of Lovren post and pre playing for us. Concentration is his fundamental flaw at the minute, but that can be ironed out with the right coach. Vestergaard has talent. But if we're going to play a high pressing game, then I think Bedenarek will get the nod as you need mobile CBs to sweep the flanks in that type of system.

I really find it hard to answer this, and it's obvious our managers have too.

The problem is, they all have weaknesses, either occasional or general. But also, they all have at least some of the basic skills needed.

I'd suggest that Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek are similar. Reasonable ball players. Stephens particularly strong when it comes to last ditch tackles, but the weakest in the air. Yoshida can have a string of good games then have a mare. Haven't really seen enough of Bednarek in a protracted run to know, but he seems "ok" in most areas.

Hoedt has come in for massive criticism but he's also has solid games. Good enough in the air but poor positionally and too good at complete losing his man. His passing range is good, but we principally need a defender. He's also slower than any of the above three.

Verstergaard, I think, may have potential but needs to up his game. His defensive heading is ok (and at 6ft 23 it should be), but I notice that his accuracy with free headers is often poor. He's slow and cumbersome in the ground.

You'd hope that a combination would cover each other's faults, bit it seems that we're always just adding a weakness. I think that's because there's no consistency where a pairing can understand each other and mesh together.

Fir now, if it's three I'd go for Stephens, Bednarek and Vestergaard (but maybe Hoedt). As a two, give Stephens and Bednarek (or Yoshida) a run.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've never seen him play, but I'm utterly confused about the Bednarek comments.

He played a few matches at the end of last season and everyone seemed in agreement that he was a decent defender, the first in ages not to be roundly slated. People thought he showed the ability to do the simple things properly and was what we had been missing.

Then this season started and he didn't even come close to getting picked. Everyone thought that the defenders we were playing were awful, but nobody wanted Bednarek in the team again. In fact I started a "best CBs thread" and literally nobody put him in their preferred pairing.

Then he got a chance again last time out and I haven't seen any bad comments about his performance, which is a first for a defender this season. Yet come this thread again and people generally don't want him to play again.

I don't get it at all. Is he okay, but nobody appreciates him, or is he **** but nobody wants to actually criticise his play on matchdays?

He played a few matches at the end of last season and everyone seemed in agreement that he was a decent defender, the first in ages not to be roundly slated. People thought he showed the ability to do the simple things properly and was what we had been missing.

Then this season started and he didn't even come close to getting picked. Everyone thought that the defenders we were playing were awful, but nobody wanted Bednarek in the team again. In fact I started a "best CBs thread" and literally nobody put him in their preferred pairing.

Then he got a chance again last time out and I haven't seen any bad comments about his performance, which is a first for a defender this season. Yet come this thread again and people generally don't want him to play again.

I don't get it at all. Is he okay, but nobody appreciates him, or is he **** but nobody wants to actually criticise his play on matchdays?

I think it's the following:

- he hasn't had much of a run of games, so people aren't sure;

- he seems pretty solid but doesn't have a stand-out attribute.

He did make one massive blunder where he tried to take too many touches and was robbed in a fairly similar fashion to the way that we eventually conceded. We were very lucky to get away with it.

Bednarek looks like he's pretty much OK at most things defensively. He seems fairly strong, reasonable in the air, his tackling is OK, and his positioning is alright. He seems fairly mobile, but not outright quick. His touch occasionally seems a bit suspect and his passing isn't great so in the systems we have been trying to play where the CBs start the play, he doesn't seem to fit that well. One thing I will say is that because of his average first touch he seems to have less time on the ball, flap a bit when closed down and has the tendency to make the wrong decision, but that seems equally true of Vestergaard.

I would say he had the potential to get better defensively with match practice and coaching, but to me he looks like a player who would become a good 3rd choice for most teams rather than a nailed on starter.

For us, I think there's not much to choose between any of the CB options we have. I think the choice will come down to how the manager wants us to play.

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this up as it seems our RH has found the right players for now.

Just realised that he chose our U18’s capt on the bench vs Huddersfield which must be a kick in the teeth for the older defenders.

Is it a kick in the teeth, or is is sacrificing one of the sub spots to give match day involvement to a youngster? He had Stephens on the bench and I guess the back 3 + 2 wing backs could if need be have reverted to a back 4. How best does the club run? From the top down, or the bottom up? Or a both, giving the whole squad of players a belief that they can play a part, even if it is as a replacement for injuries. Poch dd it. Koeman didn't. Can't remember too much from Puel's time - apart from Sims playing more. Pellegrino didn't. Hughes only used Obafemi because the rest were so dire under him. So for RH to come in, and within a week or two to shake things up, is both pretty ballsy and refreshing to see. I hope that he is doing it for the right reason and that they are ready if need be, not just because its the "Southampton Way".

Bumping this up as it seems our RH has found the right players for now.

Just realised that he chose our U18’s capt on the bench vs Huddersfield which must be a kick in the teeth for the older defenders.

Still looked pretty dodgy on occasions on Saturday. Vestegaard is still an accident waiting to happen very slowly, and Bednarek didn't exactly cover himself in glory when they scored. Hojbjerg's defensive duties were also comedic, Thankfully Mccarthy saved his bacon. Will be interesting to see what Ralph does when Yoshida is away for the Asian Cup and if he reverts to his favoured 4.

Decent play in front of the back four, including some terrific defending right from the front by Ings has papered over the cracks of a very weak defence. Playing five seems essential, as there aren't a pair of centre backs good enough to keep opponents at bay. We also don't have strong enough players at fullback. Bertrand walks into the team and I can just about live with Targett as a reserve until we can find better. On the right hand side Stephens has looked our most assured player. Valery has a lot to learn and needs a season in the championship. Without centre backs that dominate in the air, Cedric becomes a bit of a liability. Don't underestimate what his pace gives us in terms of covering our slow centre backs, but if any deep cross ends up with us conceding then it might need to be sacrificed. The simple fact is we need to upgrade in every position if possible.

Vestagaard is not good enough for this level. Far far too slow of thought and foot. Hoedt is a better option...I know, that is how bad our options have got. Bednarek can be hidden in a five, but is slow and not great in the air. What a terrible combination. Yoshida looks assured in a back five and sweeps well, but he simply does not bully centre forwards enough or win enough headers. We need to shuffle the pack if at all possible until we find what is required. Its a very difficult position to find talent, until then our forwards and midfielders are going to have to protect them better.

Personally I think Vestergaard has shown signs of adapting to the league, horrible mistake against Cardiff must have dented his confidence but was more assured in the last two games. Also saw him bringing the ball out from the back towards the end of the Hudders game jinking past a couple of players before playing a good through ball the Obafemi, shows his confidence is growing.

I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing, now we have got better team shape and a press the centre-backs are not going to be as exposed as they were under Hughes and left under pressure.