Other Managers - First Game

Lighthouse

Ralph's appointment and the Cardiff game reminded me of Adkins in a way. 2 days before a trip to MK Dons, which we subsequently lost 2-0 and were pretty abysmal. That was followed by a 0-0 bore draw at home to Colchester.

Pearson took over the day before a 2-0 home defeat to Plymouth but then went on an unbeaten run of 5 games.

Strachan I had to check but it was a 3-3 draw with Ipswich, followed by 3 straight defeats. We eventually ended up midtable.

Poch obviously started with a 0-0 but his style of football was obvious almost immediately. Despite this we only won 1 of his first 7, although it was at home to Champions City, and weren't safe until a draw on the penultimate day against Sunderland.

Which other mid-season appointments stand out (i.e. not the likes of Puel, Koeman etc.)?

Ralph's appointment and the Cardiff game reminded me of Adkins in a way. 2 days before a trip to MK Dons, which we subsequently lost 2-0 and were pretty abysmal. That was followed by a 0-0 bore draw at home to Colchester.

Pearson took over the day before a 2-0 home defeat to Plymouth but then went on an unbeaten run of 5 games.

Strachan I had to check but it was a 3-3 draw with Ipswich, followed by 3 straight defeats. We eventually ended up midtable.

Poch obviously started with a 0-0 but his style of football was obvious almost immediately. Despite this we only won 1 of his first 7, although it was at home to Champions City, and weren't safe until a draw on the penultimate day against Sunderland.

Which other mid-season appointments stand out (i.e. not the likes of Puel, Koeman etc.)?

Interesting that you remembered Adkins' first game. I was thinking of posting much the same. It was dire, but within two or three games the confidence built.

Here's hoping.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'd actually back Adkins league one side to beat our current lot TBH. I imagine Lambert and Connelly would tear our current defence a new one.

Probably. We did beat Premier League Blackpool that season and they were probably better than we are now. They won away at Arsenal that season I think.

Jan Poortvliet. Started with a 1-0 away defeat to Cardiff, conceding a scrappy, soft, late goal. Sound familiar?

We went down that season too :(

Luckily we lost that game 2-1 to a scrappy late goal, not 1-0, so the superstitious amongst us can breathe a sigh of relief!!

Luckily we lost that game 2-1 to a scrappy late goal, not 1-0, so the superstitious amongst us can breathe a sigh of relief!!

We didn't play that badly either if I remember right, it was an unlucky defeat away at one of the 'toughest' sides in that league back then. I'm pretty sure McGoldrick scored our goal...might be wrong.

But we actually had a decent start, I remember the away 1-0 at Derby where we played them off the park. We just were just too young and got sucked into a rut after a hard run of games.

Well bugger me. Looked it up, you're spot on. I could have sworn that was 1-0!

Fair play.

I only remember it really because it was my only trip to Ninian Park. Absolutely lashed it down before, during and after the game, and I missed their winner dashing back to the car as I had to be back in Southampton by 7pm. Proper ****hole ground and surroundings.

i think our goal was really well worked from what I remember - thought our young team might go on to surprise a few people that year, WRONG!!

Pretty sure I heard Solent say that Paul Sturrock was the last manager to win his 1st game in charge back in 2004. I am also pretty sure they said 9 managers ago, but having just had a quick Wiki,

it should be 19 ... yes ner ner ner ner ner nineteen 19 (including 4 caretakers such as Kelvin last week). This is counting Bassett & Wise and Gorman & Dodd duos as 1 appointment each.

How come we always seem to be the victim of New Manager Syndrome and fall to rejuvenated teams, yet can't muster up a single win over 19 appointments ourselves?